Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Where's the poll?

I vote Kawhi. I always prefer a 2-way player.
    Would you take Klay Thompson over Steph Curry? Klay is a 2-way player who can shoot equally well but lacks Curry's ball-handling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it one-on-one or as a team defense? I always take better team defense over better team offense. It’s another story on one-on-one though which I take the better offensive player. As long as Kawhi has somebody to cover Klay, Kawhi will cover Curry like white on rice. You chop the head of the snake, it’s over for the Warriors. We saw it before Kawhi went down. On one-on-one, Curry will beat Kawhi so bad he’ll go running to his uncle.

Again, Kawhi!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There (should be) is no debate that you pick Curry, every single time. He's a trascendent offensive player and can win you games by himself, either shooting out any top defense in the league, or creating such gravity by moving off-ball and drawing defenses in that the rest of your players are left open for easy baskets. We're talking about a player who forced defenses to leave Kevin Durant wide open due to the way he forces you to cover him. , the very last game against us he undid the Spurs' defense by himself and got Kelly ing Oubre bunny after bunny.

Ridiculous to say he wouldn't've carried the Raptors team to a le. That team is really underrated here - Marc Gasol and Ibaka were elite for them, and they had a lot of great pieces to make that run in Siakam as a great #2 option, OG, a semi-washed Danny, FVV, Lowry et al. They literally were just missing an offensive #1 option to carry their scoring load and compliment their already great defense - and Curry over DeMar is such a ridiculous improvement that it's not even funny. Raps would have repeated, maybe even coming close to a threepeat, with Curry staying on that roster. Meanwhile, I seriously doubt that Nephew's body would've allowed him a second run (he was limping through last years' playoffs) without massive load management. On the other hand, the Warriors would get much worse with Nephew leading them instead of Curry, since their whole system predicates on free-flowing offense topped by Curry playing off-ball, whilst KL's game is much more iso-oriented. He's also a significantly worse playmaker than Curry, which someone like Klay would suffer from. They'd get marginally better on defense, though (I personally think Klay and KL would overlap some, but anyways).

I don't understand the hate Curry gets, especially on a somewhat informed () basketball forum. Yes, his showboating is annoying, but his talent is undeniable and he's inarguably the best shooter of all time, and one of the top all-time players. Nephew doesn't sniff a top 30, tbqh, he doesn't have accolades nor longevity points besides those FMVPs. Lastly, the gap between Curry's defense and KL's defense is much smaller than the gap between the former and latter's defense, and in a primarily offensive-oriented league like the modern NBA, it makes this a non-discussion with an obvious answer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another stark difference to me between Kawhi & Curry is the thought that runs through your mind when they make a ridiculous play.

When the former makes a ridiculous play, your first thought would be something like, "Oh ok, he practiced that a lot. He's good."

When the latter makes a ridiculous play, you marvel at it and think to yourself, "How the was that even possible? Steph is way too OP".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would you take Klay Thompson over Steph Curry? Klay is a 2-way player who can shoot equally well but lacks Curry's ball-handling.
    By "always" I mean "when comparing players of the same overall caliber."

Klay is not an MVP level player like the other two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi and is not even close, and having reddit preferring curry is all you need to know to decide who is the best. These people would also choose Magic over Bird, Shaq over Duncan and Lebron over Jordan.
    What's with ST's superiority complex and thinking having contrarian opinions validates their own? You're not the first poster I've seen do this... But why would you think other people disagreeing with you makes your own opinion "better"? Makes no sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's with ST's superiority complex and thinking having contrarian opinions validates their own? You're not the first poster I've seen do this... But why would you think other people disagreeing with you makes your own opinion "better"? Makes no sense
    I think the basic logic is "If person A believes X, and person A is an idiot, then X is probably false."

(Not endorsing this logic, but that's the gist of it)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the basic logic is "If person A believes X, and person A is an idiot, then X is probably false."

(Not endorsing this logic, but that's the gist of it)
    People don't like to be challenged around here is what I've learned. That's why I try to play the part of being chaotic neutral.

And then you have your 'characters' on this forum, who I'd like to call special. These guys have a strong presence.

Seems the hive mindset is found in any forum. Very few want to think existentially.

Unmoderated forums attract the worst types of people. Those who think they can roam free without any consequence because of the anonymity. They abuse that freedom, and they never grow out of it. It's partly why I think a lot of the obnoxious, vile posters are likely wimps in real life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in this specific case it is because they are wrong, as like most people who talk about something related to Spurs, however spurstalk has some of the worst takes about any team other than Spurs, so whatever

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's the nephew and you all know it. Part of what made the Spurs such a dominant team after Duncan retired, was that nephew was not only unstoppable and super efficient on offense, but was also taking the opponents best player out of the game by defending him. That's 2017 nephew I'm talking about. That Rockets game where he hit the 3 and then blocked Harden on the other end is a perfect example of that. The thing is that he only played like that for 1 season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I would choose nephew as well. Curry was ridiculous and I'm not taking anything away from him, but I rather have a guy that can go out and get me 25 and guard the best player on the team rather than a guy who can just get me 25. Obviously there's a difference but it was always to me why Duncan won 5 rings compared to Dirk, Malone, or Barkley was that Duncan commanded both offense and defense. Same concept with Kawhi and Curry.

Curry is ridiculous offensively but I feel like a prime Leonard is who I'm gonna go with. Just personal preference.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    curry is not a great defender but underrated defender (ie better than nash)

also makes teammates better

im going chef

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP, since you didn't make this thread a poll, you're now obligated to manually count the votes and report the results.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw this debate on Reddit and was somewhat surprised about the results (40 votes for nephew to 150 votes for Stephen Curry). I was curious what ST thinks.

If the question changes to “Who’s higher all-time?”... does that change your answer?

I got nephew as the better player (disregarding legacies). He’s miles ahead of Curry on defensive while being comparable to Curry on offense. You add those two things up, it’s nephew pretty easily.

Okay, then they say well offense is more important than defense. I’ll agree with that but I’ll still take nephew because he was a Kobe/Jordan clone with more size and strength and a better three point shot. People act like he was a scrub on offense compared to Curry lol.
    On paper, your argument makes sense, but in reality, Curry is the better player, for the same reason Timmy is better than Shaq and Kobe, because of the off the court stuff and his ability to elevate his players next to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So kawhi won twice and in between Steff had a dynasty. Kawhi has 1 playoff where he struggled against the eastern conference without LeBron. Kawhi has had done downright embarrassing playoffs between those two runs and even took a whole year off. Kawhi is a manufactured star of potential that fell short of potential. The Andy rod of basketball. People want kawhi to have a better resume then he does and he could, be but you have to dock him for being mentally weak

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On paper, your argument makes sense, but in reality, Curry is the better player, for the same reason Timmy is better than Shaq and Kobe, because of the off the court stuff and his ability to elevate his players next to him.
    Are you on crack?

Starting lineup of Pao Gasol, Danny Green, Lamar Softridge and Patty Mills and you think Curry "lifted" his team more?

Spurs were up by 20 and Kawhi had 26/8/3 in 24 ing minutes! Not to mention his defense.
    No, it wasn't some "one game anomaly" as the Spurs beat the overated gots twice in the regular season.

Softridge and company got blown off the court after Kawhi got cheapshot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nephew at his absolute peak was singlehandedly putting on a beating on Curry, KD, Klay and Dray, untill he got Zaza'd.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stockholm syndrome Spurs fans at it again.

Leonard run in Toronto was epic. Leonard run before Zaza was probably better up to that point. I don't see Curry leading Toronto like Leonard did. And I would assume if say Leonard and Curry were traded, one for one, Leonard with Klay/Draymond/Durant would be too brutal to deal with. I think the Warriors get better and Toronto perhaps about the same.
    Nice story. In reality, he rested 95 games over 2 seasons, tanked his value to such an extent that he unwittingly ended up on what became (post Gasol trade) the most complete team in the league, then beat an ill-fitting (with Embiid ailing) 76ers team by a hair, a neophyte (in terms of championship contention) Bucks team and a decimated Warriors team (that otherwise would have skewered them). Congratulations.

Nephew at his absolute peak was singlehandedly putting on a beating on Curry, KD, Klay and Dray, untill he got Zaza'd.
    Nice story. In reality, Aldridge was also beasting and it was less than one game against a rusty team before the gutless worm quit in the WCF due to a sprained ankle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So kawhi won twice and in between Steff had a dynasty. Kawhi has 1 playoff where he struggled against the eastern conference without LeBron. Kawhi has had done downright embarrassing playoffs between those two runs and even took a whole year off. Kawhi is a manufactured star of potential that fell short of potential. The Andy rod of basketball. People want kawhi to have a better resume then he does and he could, be but you have to dock him for being mentally weak
    Kawhi struggled against the east? When???? LMFAO! He literally had one of the best runs ever

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stockholm syndrome Spurs fans at it again.

Nice story. In reality, he rested 95 games over 2 seasons, tanked his value to such an extent that he unwittingly ended up on what became (post Gasol trade) the most complete team in the league, then beat an ill-fitting (with Embiid ailing) 76ers team by a hair, a neophyte (in terms of championship contention) Bucks team and a decimated Warriors team (that otherwise would have skewered them). Congratulations.

Nice story. In reality, Aldridge was also beasting and it was less than one game against a rusty team before the gutless worm quit in the WCF due to a sprained ankle.
    Kawhi would have beat the warriors regardless...he blew them out while HE himself was injured...when he was healthy with us he was singlehandedly destroying them... Aldridge played like ass in that series, what are u talking about?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry is regular season good... But he always choked in the finals when it mattered, which is why he never won mvp... Every ring the warriors won, they faced a team with injuries that would most likely have beaten them otherwise... Even when they had durant

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry is arguably the greatest PG of all time.

Kawhi is arguably the #3 SF in the game right now and has been (even at his apex) during his time in the league.

I have tremendous respect for both as basketball players, but Curry’s game is transcendent. Let’s not even get into the leadership aspect either. The guy would never quit on his team or hold the FO to ransom.

There is a reason why many feel one ‘broke’ basketball and the other ‘broke’ the Spurs...(and some fans it seems) .
    Last edited by PhantomDashCam; 02-11-2021 at 07:15 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which rules made it easier for Curry? He doesn't really get as much free throws as other stars.

For those picking peak Kawhi:

Which version? Before Zaza Kawhi, Toronto Kawhi, current Kawhi?
    Like giving the shooter space to land. Generally all the off ball physicality is a point of interest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was average at best versus the Clippers in ‘15. Getting ran off the floor by KD and Westbrook in ‘16. Quitting in the Western Conference Finals because of a sprained ankle? One of the all time choke jobs vs Denver? Kawhi knob slobbers are pathetic. I love how every Kawhi apologist leaves out the fact that Toronto was the #1 seed in the East with DeRozan like he was exiled to Siberia.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry is arguably the greatest PG of all time.

Kawhi is arguably the #3 SF in the game right now and has been (even at his apex) during his time in the league.

I have tremendous respect for both as basketball players, but Curry’s game is transcendent. Let’s not even get into the leadership aspect either. The guy would never quit on his team or hold the FO to ransom.

There is a reason why many feel one ‘broke’ basketball and the other ‘broke’ the Spurs...(and some fans it seems) .

Curry is NOT even top two PG all time that is Magic and Big O and not even close. Not sure even top 3. Give me nephew any time over Curry who can’t win without Durant or Thompson.

Thread Information