Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Also, Kobe was a chucker. You can say he looked great in a given game when shots were going down.
    But ffs, the topic is pure scorer. Dude is all-time bricker. OP is sh**.
    This.

I know Kobe has a ton of points, but I can not dismiss his sh1t shot selection just because he died a horrific death.

I don't really have a top 5 but Bird, Steph, KD, Bernard King all come to mind. You don't need to be 50-40-90 to be considered, but having decent shot selection helps your cause. Kobe will always be a chucker with a lot of heart, imo.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I agree, he should be on any list of "best scorers" in history. The term "pure scorer" implies that it's people who only score and can't do anything else at an elite level, which would actually be a downgrade for guys like Kareem. He's not just a scorer, but he's still one of the best scorers of all time.
    no pure scorer is not a matter of players who can only score and nothing else, otherwise mike wouldnt be in the discussion

its a matter of skillset, someone who can score a variety of ways, against a variety of defenses

kareem probably should get more love, but to say he had a more versatile scoring skillset compared to guys like mike, kd or kyrie is simply untrue.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    90s fans were playing Bulls vs Blazers then NBA Live, no difference tbh
    sure

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kobe
    KD
    Harden
    Wilkins
    Dirk

Honorable mentions : English, Steph, Gervin
    Kobe not even top ten as inefficient and not clutch advanced stats but surprised you did list James

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White dude from the 50s/60s. Not eligible for all-time, amirite?

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

anytime I want a good laugh, I can always count on watching ridiculously crappy old school basketball defense

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Consider his compe ion, though

I mean it honestly looks how lefty inaccurately describes the 90's. Plumbers and milkmen attempting to play something that slightly resembles defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no pure scorer is not a matter of players who can only score and nothing else, otherwise mike wouldnt be in the discussion

its a matter of skillset, someone who can score a variety of ways, against a variety of defenses

kareem probably should get more love, but to say he had a more versatile scoring skillset compared to guys like mike, kd or kyrie is simply untrue.
    This. It's a person who can get that score you absolutely need, and that same person can pour in 60pts against a good team in a RS game or in the playoffs. You see them now and then, but there's not a lot of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Consider his compe ion, though

I mean it honestly looks how lefty inaccurately describes the 90's. Plumbers and milkmen attempting to play something that slightly resembles defense.
    Inaccurately?
    the 90s , ahem, “defense”, was comical

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Inaccurately?
    the 90s , ahem, “defense”, was comical
    you could actually get physical then. Rule changes and overall wussifaction of today's society and the NBA will not stand for that stuff now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you could actually get physical then. Rule changes and overall wussifaction of today's society and the NBA will not stand for that stuff now.
    So many myths in thay post wow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ok, but that's my point - the term "pure scorer" is ambiguous, so my definition was completely different from your definition.

If we simply said "best scorers" Kareem would be a no-brainer.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Ok, but that's my point - the term "pure scorer" is ambiguous, so my definition was completely different from your definition.

If we simply said "best scorers" Kareem would be a no-brainer.
    well you were about the only one who didn't seem to understand. you and derp, that is. yep, great company to be in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly, lefty is in the tiny ass minority of folks who believe his bull on Today NBA.

Also lefty, I played 4yrs of HS Bball, 2 yrs in college, multiple 30 and over leagues and many church leagues. Yeah, no Pro ball. BUT! I damn sure understand the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well you were about the only one who didn't seem to understand. you and derp, that is. yep, great company to be in
    Nah. You could take a quick survey around the internet to prove my point. Just ask a bunch of random basketball fans how they define "pure scorer" and see how many different answers you get.

You included versatility in your definition, but why does that even matter? If somebody is unstoppable at scoring, it doesn't matter how they do it.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Ron Jeremy

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Nah. You could take a quick survey around the internet to prove my point. Just ask a bunch of random basketball fans how they define "pure scorer" and see how many different answers you get.
    i dont disagree with that, but look at the context of the thread, the very guy who started the thread listed a bunch of players who do a lot more than only score points. so i think it was pretty much implied as to what definition he was going for.

You included versatility in your definition, but why does that even matter? If somebody is unstoppable at scoring, it doesn't matter how they do it.
    so you consider shaq to be a skilled scorer (which was the basis of the discussion at hand), even though he had basically 2 moves (push defender deep then go up, or spin move using the elbow as a shield and go up) simply because he was unstoppable? you would consider him equally or more skilled of a scorer to highly skilled and versatile guys like timmy, hakeem, AD, and others that he averaged more ppg than?
    Last edited by Neo.; 05-20-2021 at 04:19 PM.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I agree, he should be on any list of "best scorers" in history. The term "pure scorer" implies that it's people who only score and can't do anything else at an elite level, which would actually be a downgrade for guys like Kareem. He's not just a scorer, but he's still one of the best scorers of all time.
    This has always been my interpretation of it as well. It's always been vague what "pure scorer" means, but when I hear analysts talk about guys like Jamal Crawford and Lou Williams as some of the best "pure scorers" in the league, I assumed your definition as well. Because it seems obvious that guys like Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, etc are elite scorers but they help their team in other ways and are never termed "pure scorers"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody talks about Danny Granger anymore

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bird was pure everything.

Dude passed on $7 million to play final year of his contract. That's like a player today passing on $50 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got money under the table

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t need that money because he just ditched his kids.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t need that money because he just ditched his kids.
    Poor Corrie Bird tbh
    Larry is a ty father

Thread Information