Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brah... Jokic was big and strong as . Pokusevski is built like Jack Skellington.

To be fair, I think Jokic juiced to build muscle and lose baby fat. Maybe if Pokusevski did a chemical summer, he could put on enough weight.

Yeah, I wasn't looking specifically for similar players, just similar backgrounds (to see just how much weight the compe ion component really has). The most obvious example is Giannis since is literally the same league, but that's just one example. I was trying to find for some others. Manu is another good one since he played second division in Italy at an even older age than Pokusevski.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously

the one time they passed on a Euro

PATFO
    I'm afraid what will happen if we pass on another one, tbh.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I wasn't looking specifically for similar players, just similar backgrounds (to see just how much weight the compe ion component really has). The most obvious example is Giannis since is literally the same league, but that's just one example. I was trying to find for some others. Manu is another good one since he played second division in Italy at an even older age than Pokusevski.

I knew what you meant.

I really do think Jokic got better about the same time that brow ridge started getting prominent. Better living through chemistry.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Won't knock the Spurs for missing out on him. It is what it is there are 29 other teams that didn't think he was going to amount to anything. The next 5 years will be the time to judge PATFO depending on how our young guys like Keldon,White,Dejounte,Samanic develop along with future draft picks.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    dennis lindsey is why the spurs missed on jokic........lindsey was not a fan of jokic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jokic is basically Ryan Richards had Richards gotten way better instead of being content to waste his talent. Nikola didn't seem to care in Europe, but they Nuggets managed to talk sense into him during that stash season.
    dude, just stop. You are still going on about Ryan Richards?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um... Do you not get the post? Jokic was a second-rounder at all because he didn't seem to want to play basketball. There are other talented players who never seem to want to put the work to make it. Richards was objectively one of those. We're talking about an NBA where completely scrubs like Ajinca got MLE contracts just because they could pretend to shoot threes. Richards was a seven-footer with good agility and a very good shot for a big at the time. He didn't even get a d-league spot because he didn't want to have to work to get minutes. Dude has been bouncing to lower and more obscure leagues where he can dominate without putting in effort. Had Jokic decided he just wanted to be a slob his whole life, he would've been on the same trajectory.

Does that mean I think Richards would've been Jokic had he tried? No, and you should get away from whatever made you assume that. Were they are similar crossroads in their careers and those different paths? Yes, and in a thread explaining why teams passed on Jokic, it's important to draw comparisons where those red flags didn't resolve themselves for the better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um... Do you not get the post? Jokic was a second-rounder at all because he didn't seem to want to play basketball. There are other talented players who never seem to want to put the work to make it. Richards was objectively one of those. We're talking about an NBA where completely scrubs like Ajinca got MLE contracts just because they could pretend to shoot threes. Richards was a seven-footer with good agility and a very good shot for a big at the time. He didn't even get a d-league spot because he didn't want to have to work to get minutes. Dude has been bouncing to lower and more obscure leagues where he can dominate without putting in effort. Had Jokic decided he just wanted to be a slob his whole life, he would've been on the same trajectory.

Does that mean I think Richards would've been Jokic had he tried? No, and you should get away from whatever made you assume that. Were they are similar crossroads in their careers and those different paths? Yes, and in a thread explaining why teams passed on Jokic, it's important to draw comparisons where those red flags didn't resolve themselves for the better.
    This NBAdraft.net piece:

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/nikola-jokic/

describes Jokic as a "hard worker" with "great work ethic" that "doesn't need to be pushed to get the most out of his abilities".

The guy that did Jokic's scouting report for this site clearly knew something most didn't back then, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This NBAdraft.net piece:

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/nikola-jokic/

describes Jokic as a "hard worker" with "great work ethic" that "doesn't need to be pushed to get the most out of his abilities".

The guy that did Jokic's scouting report for this site clearly knew something most didn't back then, tbh.
    NBAdraft.net is like the weirdest site though. Their mocks tend to be really far out of the consensus, and their player comparisons are a meme. even in that report, it suggests that Jokic was maxed out as a prospect.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Denver picked McDermott in the first round. Clearly they didn't know Jokic was going to be special.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone says Porzingis is the unicorn, but it was Jokic all along.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBAdraft.net is like the weirdest site though. Their mocks tend to be really far out of the consensus, and their player comparisons are a meme. even in that report, it suggests that Jokic was maxed out as a prospect.
    Yeah, sometimes it seems like NBADraft.net is a parody site, tbh. Case in point, DeShawn Stevenson's NBA comparison and the write-up that was amazingly wrong...

They've never really been a place to go for scouting reports. I like that they don't follow the crowd with their mock drafts ... but usually they are the ones who are way off. Are they so far off as a subtle form of clickbait? Possibly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, sometimes it seems like NBADraft.net is a parody site, tbh. Case in point, DeShawn Stevenson's NBA comparison and the write-up that was amazingly wrong...

They've never really been a place to go for scouting reports. I like that they don't follow the crowd with their mock drafts ... but usually they are the ones who are way off. Are they so far off as a subtle form of clickbait? Possibly.
    A broken clock is right twice a day

The fact that they were right on Jokic doesnt mean they will be for others

Like I stress all the time, DO NOT RELY ON SCOUTING REPORTS, MOCK DRAFTS, OR BIG BOARDS

even if it was a nice website like tankathon

That's only if you're taking draft season seriously

But if you're a casual, go ahead. Just don't pretend you know anything for sure

Not shading anyone here, just spitting truth

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus as always people say Centers are dinosaurs we don’t need them anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, lots of teams passed on Jokic. By 2014 most of the league had caught up with the Spurs' efforts to scout international talent, so you could make that argument for most of the league. Unproven, slow and fat. I can see why he was overlooked. Intuition on the court is probably pretty hard to measure in terms of how it will translate to the NBA level of play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, and Denver took Doug McDermott with the #11 pick that year.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Proving that there will always be diamonds in the euro rough you just have to find it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They were right about him being a "Super character".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the one time these idiots should've drafted a Euro...they go and draft Kyle Anderson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because PATFO is overrated tbh
    It Still Hurts RD ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the one time these idiots should've drafted a Euro...they go and draft Kyle Anderson
    If Kawhi had stayed, Kyle would have been a seamless transition from Diaw. It was a good pick at the time but didnt make sense after Kawhi left.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, lots of teams passed on Jokic. By 2014 most of the league had caught up with the Spurs' efforts to scout international talent, so you could make that argument for most of the league. Unproven, slow and fat. I can see why he was overlooked. Intuition on the court is probably pretty hard to measure in terms of how it will translate to the NBA level of play.
    Agreed this is exactly how I feel. I don't think even the nuggets thought he was going to be great. I remember reading a story about how early on they were more high on Nurkic. They thought Nurkic was going to be the better player and thought about trading Jokic. Jokic then had a string of good games and they decided to get rid of Nurkic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, and Denver took Doug McDermott with the #11 pick that year.
    That was a trade pick. If you look a bit further back, CHI picked Nurkic for them.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

Fat Head was compared to Magic

Thread Information