Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defining an epidemic as a pandemic has little to do with survival rates. It has to do with infection spread. It becomes a widespread endemic disease once the number of infected people become stable (at which point stops being a pandemic).
    Spreading

What does warrant a pandemic?

And wtf does a high survival rate matter if every fckn person on the planet gets it numbnuts?
    We got more people dying of obesity, smoking, drunk driving, etc than Covid yet you're okay with a Covid pandemic smh.

^^^ let that sink in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Overall crime is down in America. murder. robbery, rape all the bad ones, but it wasn't because of better community policing, or because we "locked them all Up"...the number one reason that crime is down in America is because of Abortion. See, statistics are fun...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spreading

We got more people dying of obesity, smoking, drunk driving, etc than Covid yet you're okay with a Covid pandemic smh.

^^^ let that sink in
    Lol "488k"

The world has already passed 687k in it's barely August you disingenuous .

The reason it's not worse is because of lockdowns and mandated mask wearing

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Overall crime is down in America. murder. robbery, rape all the bad ones, but it wasn't because of better community policing, or because we "locked them all Up"...the number one reason that crime is down in America is because of Abortion. See, statistics are fun...
    My theory is the boomers aged out of prime crime time and taking lead out of gasoline made the later generations less prone to it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My theory is the boomers aged out of prime crime time and taking lead out of gasoline made the later generations less prone to it.
    No really, it was abortion.. Less kids born into crime prone w]situations and less desperation in the community

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No really, it was abortion.. Less kids born into crime prone w]situations and less desperation in the community
    I'll buy the Freakonomics argument too. I'll throw in increasing screen time as well.

Life's rich tapestry....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pandemic noun
    pan·​dem·​ic | \ pan-ˈde-mik
    : an outbreak of a disease that occurs over a wide geographic area and affects an exceptionally high proportion of the population : a pandemic outbreak of a disease

A pandemic (from Greek πᾶν, pan, "all" and δῆμος, demos, "people") is an epidemic of an infectious disease that has spread across a large region, for instance multiple continents or worldwide, affecting a substantial number of people. A widespread endemic disease with a stable number of infected people is not a pandemic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    March called, wants this screenshot back...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unemployment is only $6 billion per month, that would be $30 billion total, but that is peanuts compared to what they are spending on other programs like the PPP that only benefits rich business owners and rent deferment which only helps rich home-owners.
    How exactly does rent deferment help "rich home owners?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How exactly does rent deferment help "rich home owners?"
    Landlords can forebear their loans for up to a year, but it is up to them whether they want to pass on the savings to their renters. This is why Democrats have been fighting for rent forbearance rather than mortgage relief

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Landlords can forebear their loans for up to a year, but it is up to them whether they want to pass on the savings to their renters. This is why Democrats have been fighting for rent forbearance rather than mortgage relief
    Link?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you forego mortgage payments you have to pay them all back at the same time when they come due. So it doesn't really matter

And you haven't been able to evict anyone for several months now, forgot what the rule is but basically renters are there to stay no matter what

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you forego mortgage payments you have to pay them all back at the same time when they come due. So it doesn't really matter

And you haven't been able to evict anyone for several months now, forgot what the rule is but basically renters are there to stay no matter what
    Without a new bill Landlords can start evictions on Aug 25th (I believe) or near that date. Many landlords have already started the legal process but they can't actively kick you out till that day. Mortgage payments which are in forbearance are supposed to be added to the back of the loan the way the law is written but many lenders have been misrepresenting the payment terms to their borrowers with lump sum payments, this is wrong

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lockdowns have consequences
    You left out a step.

No pandemic, no lockdown.

We're in a depression because political authorities asked us to shelter in place. It's therefore the duty of the government to take care of people best it can until the pandemic passes and the economy recovers.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 08-03-2020 at 06:53 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had there been no lockdown, the pandemic would have done the same to us, probably much worse. Just a matter of time.

Breaking the initial e of infection ASAP is crucial for everything that happens afterward, as we can see by comparing the USA with other countries.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    The argument about how “low” the death total is is ridiculously disingenuous. If we didn’t lock the country down in March/April our healthcare system would have crashed and the death total would be a multiple of what it is now. We would have been setting up makeshift ICUs in football stadiums, and there would have been people dying solely because there weren’t any ventilators available / the 16 hour wait for an ambulance was too long.

We had no choice but to lockdown when we did given the uncertainty together with how unprepared hospitals were. Now IMO it would be stupid to go back into lockdown since we know more about the virus, are better equipped (still not well equipped though) to treat it, and know that social distancing/wearing face masks does a lot to limit its spread.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You left out a step.

We're in a depression because political authorities
    You left out a step, and precision.

We're in pandemic because precisely TRASH FAILED to maintain national preparedness for a repeatedly warned pandemic,

and then precisely TRASH FAILED to react, since Nov '19, when a pandemic in USA was inevitably imminent.

But the FAILURE must be spread precisely to the entire Repug Congress and Trash's sycophantic mafiya since they FAILED oversight that should have blocked TRASH'S FAILURES. Then add in Repug states' governance following mortally Trash's failed "leadership"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The argument about how “low” the death total is is ridiculously disingenuous. If we didn’t lock the country down in March/April our healthcare system would have crashed and the death total would be a multiple of what it is now. We would have been setting up makeshift ICUs in football stadiums, and there would have been people dying solely because there weren’t any ventilators available / the 16 hour wait for an ambulance was too long.

We had no choice but to lockdown when we did given the uncertainty together with how unprepared hospitals were. Now IMO it would be stupid to go back into lockdown since we know more about the virus, are better equipped (still not well equipped though) to treat it, and know that social distancing/wearing face masks does a lot to limit its spread.
    We're better prepared now, sure, but one should be wary of making a rule for everyone. In particular places it could get bad enough to warrant another lockdown. In most places, hopefully it won't.

I think having an in person 2020-2021 school year is bonkers, though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here's a story about downtown Boston as a non-locked-down ghost town

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/...ews:newsletter

San Antonio DT is pretty much the same.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    We're better prepared now, sure, but one should be wary of making a rule for everyone. In particular places it could get bad enough to warrant another lockdown. In most places, hopefully it won't.

I think having an in person 2020-2021 school year is bonkers, though.
    Yeah agreed, when I say another lockdown I mean we shouldn’t shut the economy down again but we by no means should return to normal and any scenario where people who aren’t from the same household being in the same indoor space should be limited.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without a new bill Landlords can start evictions on Aug 25th (I believe) or near that date. Many landlords have already started the legal process but they can't actively kick you out till that day. Mortgage payments which are in forbearance are supposed to be added to the back of the loan the way the law is written but many lenders have been misrepresenting the payment terms to their borrowers with lump sum payments, this is wrong
    ok so it's a stupid financial decision the way it's written. You pay double interest on the amount you don't pay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congresscritters being a bunch of es sure isn't one of them.
    Nothing has passed because Republicans oppose public relief during a depression.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Thread Information