Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    If Trump carpetbombed that beach, he would get my vote.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Trump carpetbombed that beach, he would get my vote.
    It's Spring Break biatches! Party time!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The "boomer" meme is pretty re ed. The boomers were actually the first to get hit hard by economic globalization, the Reagan tax cuts, and out sourcing. Those "awesome" factory jobs that people think all boomers had when they were younger were pretty much gone by the late 70s. We can see it here. Look at the huge rise in post-WWII median family income from 1950-70. Then we see it flatten and slowly rise thereafter. It was more the greatest generation who benefitted from that manufacturing phenomenon than boomers. Then Nixon (not a boomer) opened trade with China and then Reagan (not a boomer) came along and tax cut the out of everything, both of which decimated the blue collar middle class in the country.

Yes, some boomers benefitted, but it was boomers in the 1 percent class. Ultimately, it's never been about boomers screwing over young people, but the rich screwing over everyone else. You can bet all these billionaire Gen-X and millennial tech bros don't give a about the millennial middle class. In fact, they're trying to automate their jobs away .
    My issue with boomers is that they've had it extremely easy in a lot of regards, and now they're completely made. They're the generation that reaped the most benefits from moving away from the gold standard to fiat money, the govt credit card spending during the Reagan years, they're roughly the 2nd generation of Medicare users, meaning they had to only pay for one generation ahead of them in a bustling economy paid with debt, cheap college, cheap property values, etc.

Now that the wallet got tighter they suddenly care about government debt, who's going to pay for their medicare, god forbid the needy get a handout, that kids don't pay attention and don't become indentured servants to pay for a college loan, etc. Completely made.

(I'm generalizing here, not every boomer fits the mold).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't take over when Boomers don't allow it. Millennials have never been in charge of the corporations,government, etc. Boomers have control of all levers of society right now and refuse to let go.
    Millennials and Gen-Xers run some of the largest tech corporations in the world. And people like Zucker and Musk, with all their billions, have pretty much done all to change things. Millennials are constantly raging about boomer this, boomer that, muh student loans, etc, etc, but yet they don't effect change. "We can't change things because of boomers!" No, it's because millennials are just as divided as boomers always were and thus don't collectively have enough votes to elect someone like Sanders. Look at the breakdown of Trump voters. More white Millennials and Gen-Xers supported Trump over Clinton. And no, I don't think those were disaffected "Bernie Bros." Charlie Kirk has a career precisely because there's a load of millennials who want to keep the status quo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My issue with boomers is that they've had it extremely easy in a lot of regards, and now they're completely made. They're the generation that reaped the most benefits from moving away from the gold standard to fiat money, the govt credit card spending during the Reagan years, they're roughly the 2nd generation of Medicare users, meaning they had to only pay for one generation ahead of them in a bustling economy paid with debt, cheap college, cheap property values, etc.

Now that the wallet got tighter they suddenly care about government debt, who's going to pay for their medicare, god forbid the needy get a handout, that kids don't pay attention and don't become indentured servants to pay for a college loan, etc. Completely made.

You act like boomers are a collective hive mind. You'll see in my post above yours that the breakdown of Trump supporters is pretty linear among ALL white age demographics. To frame this issues as a "boomer vs. millennial" situation is wrong. It's once again a right vs. left issue, and those same right leaning millennials have those same political and economic points-of-view as right leaning boomers. My issue here is millennials constantly playing the victim, when a huge percentage of that demo votes to keep things the same. Instead of yelling at boomers, millennials should be trying to convince Charlie Kirk's followers that they're wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You act like boomers are a collective hive mind. You'll see in my post above yours that the breakdown of Trump supporters is pretty linear among ALL white age demographics. To frame this issues as a "boomer vs. millennial" situation is wrong. It's once again a right vs. left issue, and those same right leaning millennials have those same political and economic points-of-view as right leaning boomers. My issue here is millennials constantly playing the victim, when a huge percentage of that demo votes to keep things the same. Instead of yelling at boomers, millennials should be trying to convince Charlie Kirk's followers that they're wrong.
    I wasn't talking about their political biases in general. And look, Millenials will eventually wake up and smell the coffee... if we're being honest a lot of our generations (X, Y, etc) didn't really give two damns about politics when young.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't talking about their political biases in general. And look, Millenials will eventually wake up and smell the coffee... if we're being honest a lot of our generations (X, Y, etc) didn't really give two damns about politics when young.
    My point here was the millennials (or so it seems) love to complain about the state of the world due to evil boomers, when many of them are voting to keep the state of the world exactly the same. If student loan debt, rising rent, and such were such crucial issues, why aren't millennials coming out in droves to vote Bernie in or at the very least, vote to keep heads like Trump out of office? They aren't because many of them have benefitted from those same things their boomer parents benefitted from and/or have the same racial and political points-of-view as their boomer parents. They won't "wake up and smell the coffee" because that millennial demographic stands to lose the most if someone like Bernie is elected. That's why I say it's the same story as it ever was. Not old vs. young, but right vs. left (you'll see many Latino boomers, majority of whom are 2nd and 3rd generation, were actually against Trump more than the millennial demographic. This illustrates it's not an old vs. young situation).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think BS hoping Biden will be overtaken by physical exhaustion and stress. Sanders has no other path I can see, does someone else see it?
    If Biden falls Bernie still has no path.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The "boomer" meme is pretty re ed. The boomers were actually the first to get hit hard by economic globalization, the Reagan tax cuts, and out sourcing. Those "awesome" factory jobs that people think all boomers had when they were younger were pretty much gone by the late 70s. We can see it here. Look at the huge rise in post-WWII median family income from 1950-70. Then we see it flatten and slowly rise thereafter. It was more the greatest generation who benefitted from that manufacturing phenomenon than boomers. Then Nixon (not a boomer) opened trade with China and then Reagan (not a boomer) came along and tax cut the out of everything, both of which decimated the blue collar middle class in the country.

Yes, some boomers benefitted, but it was boomers in the 1 percent class. Ultimately, it's never been about boomers screwing over young people, but the rich screwing over everyone else. You can bet all these billionaire Gen-X and millennial tech bros don't give a about the millennial middle class. In fact, they're trying to automate their jobs away .
    Aren't boomers defined as people born between 1946 and 1966? If so, split the difference and say your average boomer was born in 1956 and entered the workforce in 1978. Your chart shows about a 15% increase in income (about 8k).

Now compare that to Millennials, born, on average in 1990 (between 1980 and 2000), and entering the workforce in

This graph also shows about a 10% increase if you assume your average millennial entered the workforce in 2012. But that doesn't account for the great recession. If you take the year to year average over the past 20 years, meaning the two decades when millennials began entering the workforce, you have stagnation. Doing so for the 20 years when boomers entered the workforce (1968 - 1988) and you have about a 30% increase.

And that's saying nothing about the policy choices made by boomers ...
    Last edited by vy65; 03-19-2020 at 12:07 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Biden falls Bernie still has no path.
    Sure, maybe not.

We live in interesting times, eh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Millennials and Gen-Xers run some of the largest tech corporations in the world. And people like Zucker and Musk, with all their billions, have pretty much done all to change things. Millennials are constantly raging about boomer this, boomer that, muh student loans, etc, etc, but yet they don't effect change. "We can't change things because of boomers!" No, it's because millennials are just as divided as boomers always were and thus don't collectively have enough votes to elect someone like Sanders. Look at the breakdown of Trump voters. More white Millennials and Gen-Xers supported Trump over Clinton. And no, I don't think those were disaffected "Bernie Bros." Charlie Kirk has a career precisely because there's a load of millennials who want to keep the status quo.

Agree that there's a ton of empty Bernie rage out there, but bruh, come on. What has Jamie Dimon or Lloyd Blankfein done to save the world other than to take massive government handouts?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aren't boomers defined as people born between 1946 and 1966? If so, split the difference and say your average boomer was born in 1956 and entered the workforce in 1978. Your chart shows somewhere between about a 6% increase in median family income, so about 10%.

Now compare that to Millennials, born, on average in 1990 (between 1980 and 2000), and entering the workforce in

This graph also shows about a 10% increase if you assume your average millennial entered the workforce in 2012. But that doesn't account for the great recession. If you take the year to year average over the past 20 years, meaning the two decades when millennials began entering the workforce, you have stagnation. Doing so for the 20 years when boomers entered the workforce (1968 - 1988) and you have about a 30% increase.

And that's saying nothing about the policy choices made by boomers ...
    But boomers didn't all just retire in 2000, and have experienced that same stagnation and got hit just as hard during the great recession by losing a load off their 401ks and such. Millennials didn't have the same skin in the game (retirement funds, mortgages, etc) as boomers did during the recession, and as your graph shows, working millennials entered a growing economy that saw a 10 percent gain from 2012-2018.

Indeed, the Clinton years were good to Boomers and younger Gen-Xers, where the majority of wage growth occurred for them, but then 9/11 and the recession happened in a relatively short time frame. Anyhow, my essential point was boomers didn't experience the huge growth brought on by American manufacturing. You'll see that median household income exploded from about 27k to 50k in just 20 years (1950-70), nearly a 100 percent increase. People believe that boomers benefitted from that economy, when it was in fact their parents. And then when they become of working age, those factory jobs weren't as plentiful as they once were.

Yes, policy choices by boomers suck. But so will policy choices made millennials once they get into office en masse. The Trump voter breakdown illustrates that the majority of white millennials (who are more than likely than other demos to wind up in politics) are content with the status quo. That's why I don't frame this "feud" as young vs. old, but right vs. left, rich vs. everyone else, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree that there's a ton of empty Bernie rage out there, but bruh, come on. What has Jamie Dimon or Lloyd Blankfein done to save the world other than to take massive government handouts?
    Nothing. That's my point. When the rich "get theirs," you have to pry it from their cold, dead hands. If you think millennial or Gen X billionaires are going to be any different, I don't know what to say. How many subsidies has Musk taken to play with his rockets? What has Zuckerberg or any of the other facebook billionaires to effect real change? My contention here is that millennials think they're morally superior (as a group) to those evil and greedy boomers, when millennials (or any other demographic) aren't any different. And it has nothing to do with generational mentalities, but just plain old human nature. My belief is that in order to be billionaire, you have to be on the sociopathy scale to an extent, which is why you never see billionaires and the like really step up outside of PR charity donations or philanthropic actions that are only done because they'll benefit the bottom line in some way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My point here was the millennials (or so it seems) love to complain about the state of the world due to evil boomers, when many of them are voting to keep the state of the world exactly the same. If student loan debt, rising rent, and such were such crucial issues, why aren't millennials coming out in droves to vote Bernie in or at the very least, vote to keep heads like Trump out of office? They aren't because many of them have benefitted from those same things their boomer parents benefitted from and/or have the same racial and political points-of-view as their boomer parents. They won't "wake up and smell the coffee" because that millennial demographic stands to lose the most if someone like Bernie is elected. That's why I say it's the same story as it ever was. Not old vs. young, but right vs. left (you'll see many Latino boomers, majority of whom are 2nd and 3rd generation, were actually against Trump more than the millennial demographic. This illustrates it's not an old vs. young situation).
    Because there isn't enough mid... this didn't start with millenials... go ask GenX and forward how they feel about boomers. The US had a huge drop in family reproduction after the boomer generation. Look it up. Just about now we're getting to the point where if you put all generations together after the boomers, you get somewhat an even field.

And people like Gen X or Y are more center than Millenials, I'm fully aware they wouldn't vote for a Bernie. It also got to the point where policy choices made will be with us far after the boomers are gone.

Again, I don't particularly hate anybody, but if you get served a sandwich here or there, it's only fair to point it out. I'm mostly annoyed at the hypocrisy. It's so easy to tell people to pull themselves by their bootstraps "coz I've done it". Yeah, but you've done with cheap ass college tuition, racking up the federal debt like there's no tomorrow (when you started with a clean sheet), cheap rent, cheap property, etc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You make some great points but I believe some of the chart is skewed if the results are from 2016. The common definition of Millennials is people born between 1980-1995. So of 2016 they would have been anybody between the age of 21-36. In the chart for example whites who are 30-44 only about little less than half of that demographic would include Millennials while the majority would be Xers. So I feel the results are kind of skewed but I agree with you it's divided close to around 49-51 when it comes to white millennials and conservatism. I also believe some white millennials voted for Trump out of desperation in the sense they wanted change and were disappointed at Obama for not doing enough.

As for the future of white millennials I think they are going to keep switching back and forth when it comes to whatever candidate can speak on populism. It's the reasons why the majority of them voted for Obama in '08 because they thought he could deliver great change.

As a whole the majority of millennials when you factor in not just white millennials but other races are not conservative. You are right though Zuckerberg didn't do anything to change anything but I didn't expect him to. He's like any rich guy regardless of age they are going to do anything to protect the status quo.

I feel the only knock you can give millennials is that they were not active enough when it came to voting. They did not vote in midterm elections that allowed conservatives to grab the Senate and Congress for the majority of Obama's presidency. I could be wrong but even with Bernie Sanders you could say they didn't turn out enough. The majority of voters in these primaries were people who are above the age of 40 which is not millennials. Millennials as a whole have not really pushed for any policies yet or have gotten anything implemented yet. The boomers however changed the world. They are the generation that pushed for tax cuts for the rich and deregulation of corporations along with destroying unions.

As for Xers they have always been very conservative so I'm not surprised that they voted for Trump.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cos I've called out people on their sh**?

There, there, Cuck Garden.
    Call yourself .
    Contradictory asshole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because there isn't enough mid... this didn't start with millenials... go ask GenX and forward how they feel about boomers. The US had a huge drop in family reproduction after the boomer generation. Look it up. Just about now we're getting to the point where if you put all generations together after the boomers, you get somewhat an even field.

And people like Gen X or Y are more center than Millenials, I'm fully aware they wouldn't vote for a Bernie. It also got to the point where policy choices made will be with us far after the boomers are gone.

Again, I don't particularly hate anybody, but if you get served a sandwich here or there, it's only fair to point it out. I'm mostly annoyed at the hypocrisy. It's so easy to tell people to pull themselves by their bootstraps "coz I've done it". Yeah, but you've done with cheap ass college tuition, racking up the federal debt like there's no tomorrow (when you started with a clean sheet), cheap rent, cheap property, etc.
    This is wrong. Millennials are now the largest demographic in the US. I don't see how it can be any clearer that white millennials supported Trump at about the same rate as other white demographics. You're framing it like it's the boomers keeping the millennials down, when (white) millennials aren't doing jack to change things because they are likely benefitting from the status quo.

I'm mostly annoyed at the hypocrisy. It's so easy to tell people to pull themselves by their bootstraps "coz I've done it".

How common is this really outside of facebook memes and the occasional millennial hating article by some republican boomer? It's seems the whole millennial discontent toward boomers is based solely around this anecdote, when I myself never heard a boomer admonish a millennial like that. Again my point here is that discontent should be more focused on the -ton of millennials that have posters of Charlie Kirk in their room. Millennials aren't some united group against the boomers, nor are boomers some united group against young people. A leftist boomer will agree with a leftist millennial, while a right leaning boomer will disagree with a leftist boomer, and so on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You make some great points but I believe some of the chart is skewed if the results are from 2016. The common definition of Millennials is people born between 1980-1995. So of 2016 they would have been anybody between the age of 21-36. In the chart for example whites who are 30-44 only about little less than half of that demographic would include Millennials while the majority would be Xers. So I feel the results are kind of skewed but I agree with you it's divided close to around 49-51 when it comes to white millennials and conservatism. I also believe some white millennials voted for Trump out of desperation in the sense they wanted change and were disappointed at Obama for not doing enough.

As for the future of white millennials I think they are going to keep switching back and forth when it comes to whatever candidate can speak on populism. It's the reasons why the majority of them voted for Obama in '08 because they thought he could deliver great change.

As a whole the majority of millennials when you factor in not just white millennials but other races are not conservative. You are right though Zuckerberg didn't do anything to change anything but I didn't expect him to. He's like any rich guy regardless of age they are going to do anything to protect the status quo.

I feel the only knock you can give millennials is that they were not active enough when it came to voting. They did not vote in midterm elections that allowed conservatives to grab the Senate and Congress for the majority of Obama's presidency. I could be wrong but even with Bernie Sanders you could say they didn't turn out enough. The majority of voters in these primaries were people who are above the age of 40 which is not millennials. Millennials as a whole have not really pushed for any policies yet or have gotten anything implemented yet. The boomers however changed the world. They are the generation that pushed for tax cuts for the rich and deregulation of corporations along with destroying unions.

As for Xers they have always been very conservative so I'm not surprised that they voted for Trump.
    And that's my whole point. You can't blame another generation for bad policy when half that generation also supports that bad policy. And not all white boomers voted for that policy. They were similarly divided 50/50 throughout their history (you can look at the breakdown by age for Reagan voters) but a fact of life for some is that you get more conservative as you age, so I would expect the millennial right/left percentage breakdown to change to that 60/40 ratio as they age.

Millennials as a whole have not really pushed for any policies yet or have gotten anything implemented yet.

Because they do not vote. And they are now the largest age group in the US. There's no excuses for them now. And yes, there's enough likeminded Xers and Boomers to push policy favorable to millennials forward if millennials simply turned out en masse. And the voter suppression doesn't fly with me because you can easily get a mail-in ballot, at least where I'm from.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And that's my whole point. You can't blame another generation for bad policy when half that generation also supports that bad policy. And not all white boomers voted for that policy. They were similarly divided 50/50 throughout their history (you can look at the breakdown by age for Reagan voters) but a fact of life for some is that you get more conservative as you age, so I would expect the millennial right/left percentage breakdown to change to that 60/40 ratio as they age.

Millennials as a whole have not really pushed for any policies yet or have gotten anything implemented yet.

Because they do not vote. And they are now the largest age group in the US. There's no excuses for them now. And yes, there's enough likeminded Xers and Boomers to push policy favorable to millennials forward if millennials simply turned out en masse. And the voter suppression doesn't fly with me because you can easily get a mail-in ballot, at least where I'm from.
    I don't think Millennials will ever get to a 60/40 ratio due to their racial composition. At least 40 percent of the Millennials are non-white. Older black people,latino people, and even Asians tend to stay to the left. You do have the right to criticize the millennials for not voting. As a fellow millennial that's one thing I have always bashed them on. I knew a quite few millennials who decided not to vote in 2016 and stay home. Some even decided to vote third party which did a lot of damage in my state. I live in NC where Trump only won a plurality of the votes. He won 49 percent, while Clinton won 46, and third party got 5 percent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is wrong. Millennials are now the largest demographic in the US. I don't see how it can be any clearer that white millennials supported Trump at about the same rate as other white demographics. You're framing it like it's the boomers keeping the millennials down, when (white) millennials aren't doing jack to change things because they are likely benefitting from the status quo.
    I do stand corrected that the numbers were not quite as I remember them. However, in my defense, this is what I was trying to remember off the top of my head:

Millennials projected to overtake Baby Boomers as America’s largest generation
    https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-baby-boomers/

That's from 2018, way past the last election.

IMO, you're also overlooking the fact that Shillary was a terrible candidate and Trump was largely an unknown that ran on a lot of lefty policies (closed economy, bringing back manufacturing, stopping outsourcing and globalization).

I'm mostly annoyed at the hypocrisy. It's so easy to tell people to pull themselves by their bootstraps "coz I've done it".

How common is this really outside of facebook memes and the occasional millennial hating article by some republican boomer? It's seems the whole millennial discontent toward boomers is based solely around this anecdote, when I myself never heard a boomer admonish a millennial like that. Again my point here is that discontent should be more focused on the -ton of millennials that have posters of Charlie Kirk in their room. Millennials aren't some united group against the boomers, nor are boomers some united group against young people. A leftist boomer will agree with a leftist millennial, while a right leaning boomer will disagree with a leftist boomer, and so on.
    It's not a meme, it's the legacy they leave behind. I'm not saying they plotted to hurt the forward generations, but they undeniably did. And so we hold some of the sandwiches, and arguing whether they did it on purpose or not is immaterial. They did it because they benefited them at the time, now we have to live with it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do stand corrected that the numbers were not quite as I remember them. However, in my defense, this is what I was trying to remember off the top of my head:

IMO, you're also overlooking the fact that Shillary was a terrible candidate and Trump was largely an unknown that ran on a lot of lefty policies (closed economy, bringing back manufacturing, stopping outsourcing and globalization).

It's not a meme, it's the legacy they leave behind. I'm not saying they plotted to hurt the forward generations, but they undeniably did. And so we hold some of the sandwiches, and arguing whether they did it on purpose or not is immaterial. They did it because they benefited them at the time, now we have to live with it.
    Agreed it's like I said earlier in my original post that populism is big among my generation. If you want to win millennials you have to speak on populism. It's why I think the next election you could have low millennial turn out again due to Biden not being a good populist candidate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hillary wasn't a strong candidate, but Trump's courting of the alt-right and inflaming racism should've steered any well meaning leftist millennial away from him and to the lesser evil. This didn't happen because in fact many millennials do indeed share Trump's vision. The alt-right is pretty much a millennial creation.

And we Gen-Xers and Millennials have to hold the Trump sandwich. Older people tend to be more conservative because at their stage of life, they're looking for security and certainty (which tax breaks and patriotism appeal to), so you can't count on them to vote for leftist disruptors or leftist politicians in general. And what did we collectively do? Stay home. If millennials turned out in those swing states, which Trump won by razor thin margins, it's a different story. Sure, we can say there might've been no difference between Trump and Hillary, but Trump's administration has been a chaotic clown show from day 1, only propped up by a stock market he didn't create.

I guess the point I'm trying to drive home is that millennials aren't all Bernie loving democratic socialists who care about the environment and poor. A significant portion of them are happy with the sandwich the (rich and powerful) boomers created because it's prime rib for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hillary wasn't a strong candidate, but Trump's courting of the alt-right and inflaming racism should've steered any well meaning leftist millennial away from him and to the lesser evil. This didn't happen because in fact many millennials do indeed share Trump's vision. The alt-right is pretty much a millennial creation.

And we Gen-Xers and Millennials have to hold the Trump sandwich. Older people tend to be more conservative because at their stage of life, they're looking for security and certainty (which tax breaks and patriotism appeal to), so you can't count on them to vote for leftist disruptors or leftist politicians in general. And what did we collectively do? Stay home. If millennials turned out in those swing states, which Trump won by razor thin margins, it's a different story. Sure, we can say there might've been no difference between Trump and Hillary, but Trump's administration has been a chaotic clown show from day 1, only propped up by a stock market he didn't create.

I guess the point I'm trying to drive home is that millennials aren't all Bernie loving democratic socialists who care about the environment and poor. A significant portion of them are happy with the sandwich the (rich and powerful) boomers created because it's prime rib for them.
    I don't think they are all that, but, to be fair, we should also agree that the sandwich that the DNC and GOP are these days is not their fault either. When they had a relatively young, hipster candidate (on paper anyways), they did come out and vote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But boomers didn't all just retire in 2000, and have experienced that same stagnation and got hit just as hard during the great recession by losing a load off their 401ks and such. Millennials didn't have the same skin in the game (retirement funds, mortgages, etc) as boomers did during the recession, and as your graph shows, working millennials entered a growing economy that saw a 10 percent gain from 2012-2018.

Indeed, the Clinton years were good to Boomers and younger Gen-Xers, where the majority of wage growth occurred for them, but then 9/11 and the recession happened in a relatively short time frame. Anyhow, my essential point was boomers didn't experience the huge growth brought on by American manufacturing. You'll see that median household income exploded from about 27k to 50k in just 20 years (1950-70), nearly a 100 percent increase. People believe that boomers benefitted from that economy, when it was in fact their parents. And then when they become of working age, those factory jobs weren't as plentiful as they once were.

Yes, policy choices by boomers suck. But so will policy choices made millennials once they get into office en masse. The Trump voter breakdown illustrates that the majority of white millennials (who are more than likely than other demos to wind up in politics) are content with the status quo. That's why I don't frame this "feud" as young vs. old, but right vs. left, rich vs. everyone else, etc.
    That boomers had skin in the game is the point. They profited from a 20 year period that saw wages rise — millennials didn’t. And this notion is incorrect anyway. That home equity and those 401ks that boomers were able to amass beginning in the 80s will come roaring back. The notion that boomers were hurt because of this skin in the game is really kinda crazy.

Thread Information