Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ma fan, but I don’t see any Diaw comparisons. Poetl, on the other hand, has really elevated his playmaking. If the guy could shoot even a little bit, he’d be a star in the making. Both of those guys make the spurs’ center rotation one of the best in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ma fan, but I don’t see any Diaw comparisons. Poetl, on the other hand, has really elevated his playmaking. If the guy could shoot even a little bit, he’d be a star in the making. Both of those guys make the spurs’ center rotation one of the best in the league.
    I think the comparisons are mostly based on the fact that Jock is willing and able to shoot the three, while still doing the little things you want from a post player (set screens, roll hard, rebound, etc.)

Obviously, Diaw wasn't a bomber from deep, but he did it well enough to make other teams respect it. That opens up all sorts of space inside and opportunities for passes or rebounds when you can draw the opposing center out of the post.

Otherwise, I see some similarities in his movement on the court, and he has shown some flashes of quick passing ability and finding the open man. I doubt he will ever reach Diaw levels, but Bobo was just special that way.
    Last edited by Dex; 12-27-2021 at 12:59 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it a mental block or is he just completely physically unable to shoot a three at even 25%?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I admit I was a Poodle hater but he has vastly improved this year to me he is playing with confidence and it is showing. I think Pop needs to slowly get him more evolved on the offense side as I just love when he gets 8+ rebounds and 10+pts that is great numbers for us.

As for as Landale I think he is a great backup to Poodle he gives you outside shooting better passing and has the experience to lead the young second team. It also allows us to switch players depending what is needed more defense or offense - Ying and Yang..

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another big positive of Jock showing out is that he's pushed Eubanks back to third-string where he belongs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another big positive of Jock showing out is that he's pushed Eubanks back to third-string where he belongs.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the game last night there were a couple of plays where it wasn't a direct assist from Jock. It was when the low post was being fronted and Jock flashed to the high post to receive the pass to dump it to the low block. The help defense collapses on the low block and the pass is made for a wide open three. Diaw did that ALL the time. It was part of the reason why the 2014 team was so special. I am not saying he is the next Diaw, but the way he makes his decisions is similar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But is Jock the same level of wino as Bobo was/is?
    he has a ways to go before he earns his own emoji

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sure took Pop long enough to get over himself

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably drinks Foster’s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it a mental block or is he just completely physically unable to shoot a three at even 25%?
    It's that he physically can't shoot 3's at a high clip (with his FT %/form, shouldn't be surprising). Contrary to SpursTalk belief, teams don't necessarily want or need every single player to be shooters first, and everything else second; unless you can really shoot, it's worse for the team if your center spends possessions on end inefficiently chucking at the basket, creating fastbreak points for the other team and wasting possessions, than it is to simply have him do what he does best, and leave the shooting to your actual shooters.

It's the same reason Gobert doesn't camp out the 3pt line, even though he's routinely seen draining 3's in practice. Practice =/= game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's that he physically can't shoot 3's at a high clip (with his FT %/form, shouldn't be surprising). Contrary to SpursTalk belief, teams don't necessarily want or need every single player to be shooters first, and everything else second; unless you can really shoot, it's worse for the team if your center spends possessions on end inefficiently chucking at the basket, creating fastbreak points for the other team and wasting possessions, than it is to simply have him do what he does best, and leave the shooting to your actual shooters.

It's the same reason Gobert doesn't camp out the 3pt line, even though he's routinely seen draining 3's in practice. Practice =/= game.
    Same for Duncan. Timmy only hit 30 threes in his 19-year career, 15 of which came between 2000-2003.

He only attempted 168 over 1392 regular season games...which comes out to 0.12 per game. He could shoot them, he just knew that wasn't his bread and butter.

Still, that didn't stop him from being able to hit one of the biggest threes in Spurs history when he drained it against the Suns in 2008 to send Game 1 to double-overtime and ultimately a victory.

That said...he didn't start chucking up threes after that just because he hit one huge shot. All players should play to their strengths instead of just jumping on the Steph Curry bandwagon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw was way more of an overall player. He could play any position.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And there was time for Landale to get over a concussion and Covid.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Landale has a diverse skill set but no comparison to Diaw. Diaw was a point guard early in his career with unique athleticism and skill set.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Senile drunk coach took 30 games to play the dude that every SpursTalk keyboard warrior knew should be playing from the jump
    I don't always agree with Pop but Landale did miss time because of Covid and a concussion. Actual time lost plus loss of conditioning ect. Thats why he went to Austin so he could actually play with the big Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Landale is a bruiser, while the only time Bobo fight is at the kitchen. Joking aside, Diaw has more guard skills.

To me he’s my “Scola” finally coming to the Spurs to play, who plays with grit and will go to battle with, that Spurs have been missing lately, who will win you that 50/50 ball.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He doesn’t need to be able to shoot threes at all. However, being able to hit a free throw range jump shot would make things much easier for himself and his teammates.
    Last edited by itzsoweezee; 12-27-2021 at 04:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone who doesn't just watch Spurs (approximately 10% of this forum) already knew he was a good player, but it has nothing to do with Boris Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His interview says he received “a lot” of NBA interest. It was a matter of time. That’s why I said Sours was “ ing lucky” to have offered him first and Jock jumped on the first offer. I’m sure Patty and Matt Nielsen played a main role also.
    Exactly...that dejounte poster is a moron

He took the first offer straight up...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I’ve never seen you make an insightful post. You’re the idiot who likes to just cry all the time. Dumb from down under.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looked pretty good in the olympics. I think had the Spurs not already had him locked up by then we'd definitely of seen him in another NBA uniform, probably for a fatter deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Same for Duncan. Timmy only hit 30 threes in his 19-year career, 15 of which came between 2000-2003.

He only attempted 168 over 1392 regular season games...which comes out to 0.12 per game. He could shoot them, he just knew that wasn't his bread and butter.

Still, that didn't stop him from being able to hit one of the biggest threes in Spurs history when he drained it against the Suns in 2008 to send Game 1 to double-overtime and ultimately a victory.

That said...he didn't start chucking up threes after that just because he hit one huge shot. All players should play to their strengths instead of just jumping on the Steph Curry bandwagon.

That's deep.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But why male models?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agreed… on both statements

Thread Information