Page 25 of 164 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Banchero or Smith would be the best options, but I wouldn't be mad if we could get Keegan Murray and Tari Eason. That could be a vicious forward duo going forward

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just feel that when a player is not a certain height that folks around here have a mental block of that player ever being talented enough because of their lack of height

i.e. If Keldon was obviously super talented, people would still not get past the lack of height
    True.

It's two-fold: Many are living in the past and don't realize someone with Griffin's measurements is a combo forward in the modern NBA (without a reliable 3, he's mostly a 4). Many also don't realize that the future core isn't in place. Johnson, Vassell and Primo aren't going anywhere, but Murray is the only one who's earned the right to be called a foundational piece at the moment.

You don't not draft Griffin because of Johnson's presence or Keegan Murray being more of a true four.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kid is a monster.

I'm not sure why he's not getting more hype tbh. Seems like a protypical bucket for today's game. Has that "it" factor too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure why he's not getting more hype tbh. Seems like a protypical bucket for today's game. Has that "it" factor too.
    Wisconsin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be honest, the way media pushes/cements the top picks every year is pretty bizarre. I suppose it's inevitable, but there's such a group think about who the top players are. Banchero and Smith are getting permanent acclaim from ESPN, etc., that unless they the bed, they're going very high no matter what -- fanbases and owners won't let their GMs pass them by.

A lot of it hype. These are good players, but they play for schools ESPN, etc., want to push. Can you imagine the hype Keegan Murray or Ivey would be getting if they went to Duke??
    Iveys getting a lot of hype as it is. I think part of it’s the other way, too. The kids go to the big schools to GET the hype.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True.

It's two-fold: Many are living in the past and don't realize someone with Griffin's measurements is a combo forward in the modern NBA (without a reliable 3, he's mostly a 4). Many also don't realize that the future core isn't in place. Johnson, Vassell and Primo aren't going anywhere, but Murray is the only one who's earned the right to be called a foundational piece at the moment.

You don't not draft Griffin because of Johnson's presence or Keegan Murray being more of a true four.
    Well, whatever the case may be with fans, the recent action of trading White clears everything up as far as what the Spurs’ approach is going forward. We know where the Spurs stand and what their priorities are: they have no loyalty to any player that they believe isn’t a building block. With White, it may look like it took a while for the Spurs to decide between him and Murray, but the trigger(s) may have been waiting to see which of the two would separate themselves developmentally and/or having another pipeline prospect (Primo) right behind him to take their place. IMO, these are justifiable reasons to wait as long as they did, and much credit has to be given to the Spurs for having the foresight (of seeing star potential in Murray when most couldn’t) and the planning to get to this point.

I think if the Spurs draft a SF/PF, one of Vassell and Keldon will see the same fate as White Hopefully, it’s due to a Murray-like rise from one of them to make it painfully obvious who should go.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if the Spurs draft a SF/PF, one of Vassell and Keldon will see the same fate as White Hopefully, it’s due to a Murray-like rise from one of them to make it painfully obvious who should go.
    I don't see it. Despite Vassell inexplicably playing some nominal four due to poor roster construction, he's a 2.5 and Johnson is a 3.5, they're 21 and 22 respectively and it's difficult to have too many wings considering they generally comprise 60% of most lineups.

They're also ineligible or don't have to be extended for a while and not that their was a lack of financial flexibility, but even more has opened it and it's likely even more is on the verge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as I like Jabari Smith Jr, I would be lying if I didn’t say I’m worried about his shot selection. He takes entirely too many jumpers and I haven’t seen him nearly enough take advantage of his size advantage when guarded by smaller guys or his quickness advantage when guarded by other bigs……

it’s going to be super interesting to see where we pick and what the rumors are for what we might be scouting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as I like Jabari Smith Jr, I would be lying if I didn’t say I’m worried about his shot selection. He takes entirely too many jumpers and I haven’t seen him nearly enough take advantage of his size advantage when guarded by smaller guys or his quickness advantage when guarded by other bigs……

it’s going to be super interesting to see where we pick and what the rumors are for what we might be scouting.
    Jabari Smith’s closest matches: Rudy Gay, Patrick Williams, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram. Stats back it up— Jabari prefers contested mid range 2’s and shoots them average-to-poor, just like these guys.

Not the type of guys I think you could win with with them as your #1 or #2 guy. Waste of a top 5 pick, IMO.
    Its what I’ve said for awhile and these are my closest comps right now. We don’t need a guy who settles for ill advised jumpers. And guys of that type barely make it to s om unless they are A+ out of this world shooters

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs pick at 7 or 8 I could see them picking Mathurin from Arizona. He’s not my favorite prospect or anything just seems like a Spurs pick, Canadian but played in Mexico for high school. Has good size and shoots the ball well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree I don’t think think we are going to land a top 6 draft pick and one thing I like about him is that he shoots and makes a ton of 3 pointers and we desperately need better outside shooting on this team. He can take it to the rim or hit mid range and like I said his bread and butter is the 3 ball. He is definitely not just a 3 and D player so would not be a bad pick at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte what is your opinion on Shaedon Sharpe if he declares? I see a few respected posters on here have their worries that he could be Wiseman 2.0. I just think if we can’t get our hands on Chet, Ivey and Banchero. I think Sharpe might he the type of player you take a risk on due to his ceiling if you drafting mid lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jabari Smith with a huge game last night, after struggling these past couple weeks. Hit 7 3’s on 7/10 shooting, and shot 60% in the game in a Win against Vanderbilt. Good stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, Jaden Ivey with his worst performance of the season last night, and his second bad game in a row. Not sure what’s going on with him, but he looked like last night. Not even any highlights worth posting.

He scored 8 pts on 2/12 shooting and 0/5 from 3. Didn’t look as engaged defensively last night either. Just a really forgettable game from him. Not gonna put too much stock into it though as we’ve seen enough big games from him this season to know that these were just a couple bad games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet Holmgren with another strong showing last night against a weaker opponent in Pepperdine. Dropped 18 pts, 17 rbs & 4 blks on 6/11 shooting, including 2/5 from 3. Still think he ends up going #1 in this draft. He’s a difference maker on both ends, and arguably the greatest 19 year-old shot-blocker I’ve ever seen. His length on the defensive end is ridiculous. I want to see how he plays against better compe ion though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should be noted that Holmgren is shooting a ridiculous 46% from 3 this season. And 63% from the field overall. Ridiculously good for anyone, let alone a freshman.

But again, Gonzaga’s schedule has been pretty vanilla thus far outside of the Duke, UCLA, Bama and Texas games. Wanna seen him against some better comp soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kendall Brown and Jeremy Sochan both had terrible games for #7-ranked Baylor last night as they lost on the road to #11 Texas Tech. Brown is clearly one of the best athletes in this draft and a solid defender, but he’s a project as far as I’m concerned. He disappears for long stretches during almost every game it seems like. You almost forget he’s on the floor for the most part at times (until he throws down a lob and shows off his elite athleticism). His performance last night was bad. He finished with 7 pts & 3 rbs on 2/6 shooting, and a couple of those 7 pts came in garbage time. He was just nowhere to be found offensively.

Sochan it’s usually a bit more impactful, but he didn’t do a whole lot either last night. He shot 3/7 from the field for 8 pts & 10 rbs. Just a bad game from Baylor overall. Been watching Sochan a bit more lately cause he’s a true PF and the Spurs are in the market for one with one of their picks this year, but he hasn’t impressed all the much so far.
    Last edited by BatManu20; 02-17-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its what I’ve said for awhile and these are my closest comps right now. We don’t need a guy who settles for ill advised jumpers. And guys of that type barely make it to s om unless they are A+ out of this world shooters
    Solid insight.

On a tangent, we may not even be in the running for him anyway if we continue to win while other teams begin to overtly tank.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But again, Gonzaga’s schedule has been pretty vanilla thus far outside of the Duke, UCLA, Bama and Texas games. Wanna seen him against some better comp soon.
    According to KenPom, Gonzaga has faced the 152nd toughest schedule.
    Ken Pom's 152nd best team:
    Sam Houston State.

FWIW, toughest schedule:
    Alabama.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sam Houston State.

FWIW, toughest schedule:
    Alabama.
    Yikes. Yea I was looking at their schedule yesterday and couldn’t believe how easy it was. The definition of cupcake. But they did beat UCLA and Texas, and barely lost to Duke. So they’re obv a good team. Just wanna see Chet play against some better compe ion so I can get a better gauge on him.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yikes. Yea I was looking at their schedule yesterday and couldn’t believe how easy it was. The definition of cupcake. But they did beat UCLA and Texas, and barely lost to Duke. So they’re obv a good team. Just wanna see Chet play against some better compe ion so I can get a better gauge on him.
    They should play some good teams in the tournament too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sam Houston State.

FWIW, toughest schedule:
    Alabama.
    This is pretty common for Gonzaga. Their conference is pretty trash. They schedule hard teams in non-conference, then play clowns for three months, then normally get overranked in the Tournament.

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's an interesting article on preference for a side, handedness, and finishing at the rim for some of the top prospects: https://synergysports.com/a-love-let...-lefty-layups/. Some interesting things: Jabari Smith is weirdly better with his left hand at the rim, Chet Holmgren basically can't be stopped on a layup, and Jaden Ivey is surprisingly bad at finishing at the rim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You right.

Thread Information