Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    interested in seeing this, because i really find it hard to envision since Murray speaks so glowingly of Pop and has said more than once he looks at him like a father figure. really hope you're just looking too much into it because if you aint, definitely not what you wanna see from him at this point whether he had a legit gripe or not
    It’s a whole bunch of nothing. Just 2 guys talking it over. Everyone is just so used to everyone being scared of Pop. Pop loves Dj because of it. Dj loves Pop because of it. I don’t have the know how to make a gif but if you still have game recorded it’s in OT during the clear path foul review.

Pop was right to get on Dj. He left Kylie wide open for a 3, then on next play dribbled into traffic and turned ball over (thus the reason for the potential clear path foul).

I recognized Pop and Dj’s relationship was special way back when Lamarcus and Ibalka fought and Dj held LA back and physically pushed Pop away like “I got him” and Pop just smirked like that’s my boy.

Here it is.

I wish I could read lips.

Notice DJ's veins pop out in his neck in the second gif.

I don't dismiss the fact that they may have made up in the games after this. Could be much ado over nothing.

We'll see.
    The concerning part about this incident is DJ talking back at Pop when Pop is already walking away. I believe in the first gif, DJ is yelling "PULL ME!" in response to Pop probably threatening to do after seeing what happened on the court.

In the second gif, I think it's DJ repeating the same thing and screaming "PULL ME THEN!". Again, the concerning part here is just the act of continuing the spat when it's already over. This is a very unprofessional moment by DJ and it's clear he is enraged.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not the most technically literate, but here you go

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBASpurs/co...d_pop_arguing/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dude, that's better quality than mine. What app did you use to do this? Also, you missed the second part of the spat (my second gif).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    duncan2k5 - is there a contract the Spurs could offer DeRozan that you could live with? I was on the get-rid-of-him boat since 2019-2020 season, but a lot of posters have pointed out his value in bonding the team. He was the guy holding back Murray from going at Gregg the other night. And what I like best about his play is his passing. He's actively finding the right guy that leads to an open shot.

If I had to choose I'd still say move on, simply because it allows these recent draft picks (Walker, Samanic, Johnson, Vassell) to inherit the swingman minutes... BUT, I won't have a problem if they extend him. The ceiling isn't a le anyway so 3 more years of DeRozan won't be John Wall/Oladipo level dead-end.
    Keeping him isn't just about the money...I think he has a ceiling on how good the team can be...and by time he gets to the end of an extension, he will be untradeable...get assets/picks for him... We can then build a team of young players and vets that fit into a winning style... DeMar ball isn't it... We missed the playoffs last year and may miss it again this year

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

the whole exchange looks pretty benign tbh, looks more like a heated discussion rather that an argument / Murray screaming. idk, think Dejounte may be looking too much into this tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, that's better quality than mine. What app did you use to do this? Also, you missed the second part of the spat (my second gif).
    they were already okay on the Knicks game, Pop joking with DJ in the final steal. But yup that was very unprofessional of DJ. If he wants to be a leader of the group, he needs to show that he could be led. That was disappointing to see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The concerning part about this incident is DJ talking back at Pop when Pop is already walking away. I believe in the first gif, DJ is yelling "PULL ME!" in response to Pop probably threatening to do after seeing what happened on the court.

In the second gif, I think it's DJ repeating the same thing and screaming "PULL ME THEN!". Again, the concerning part here is just the act of continuing the spat when it's already over. This is a very unprofessional moment by DJ and it's clear he is enraged.
    Samanic seeing DJ talking back to his coach is not good. DJ should lead by example. That's bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet they don't even remember it.

Seemed like usual talk during a compe ive game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samanic seeing DJ talking back to his coach is not good. DJ should lead by example. That's bad.
    Damn, when you put it like that... Yeah, not a good look at all. Hope this doesn't become a trend with DJ - though, considering the growth in his game, both physical and mental, I'd say he's maturing just fine. He's got a long ways to go still.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A whole lot of overreacting in this thread. This happens all the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge, Mills, DD and Pop for

Bam, Iggy and Pat Riley.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you don’t know what was said- reading into the body language doesn’t really matter. DJ is a fierce compe or and he hates losing, we know this. He had just made 2 plays that essentially shot down our chances in OT. His frustration in whatever they were talking about will reflect that. I don’t doubt Pop could have been asking him what he wanted on his pizza after the game and Dejounte would have answered in the same fashion.

Pop- “you’re tired, DJ, need to pull you for tomorrow”

DJ- “I’m not, I’m not, I’m not, pull me then”

Pop obliges by leaving DJ in the game- Derozan immediately turns the ball over and the subs come in. That was my read then, and that’s what I tried explaining to the nerds on Reddit the night it happened but the narrative was already going there. I see we haven’t gone into “omg he liked a tweet about the clippers” discourse yet. That was the real kicker over there that set them off.
    Last edited by PrimeMinister; 03-04-2021 at 03:38 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Psssh the tolerating of Patty n Forbes etc by not only players but yes men assistant coaches is LONG overdue to have been called out.

Bravo for DJ having some passion and TRUTH.
    Oh, what do you say the Spurs are 10X better this year then the last 4 years of Poppy .

Excellent example set by DJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People in here overreacting, reading too much into a 5 second argument and twitter posts. I find this hilarious. DJ said Pop was on his ass this season to push him to greatness. Ain’t nothing wrong with that. Things got heated with Pop all the time back in the day. He curses people out in film sessions to the point where Kyle Anderson got pissed and Tim had to talk to him. That’s regular Spurs culture. Pop told Danny Green to stfu in a game. This happens. A player talking back to the coach when he gets chewed out is not out of the norm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kind of agree but if DJ feels he's right then what's wrong with that? Pop's been ing up lately considering he's considered an all timer. Every-now and then you gotta speak your mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of agree but if DJ feels he's right then what's wrong with that? Pop's been ing up lately considering he's considered an all timer. Every-now and then you gotta speak your mind.
    Nah I like DJ. I like the dog in him not backing down on anybody (see pushing Harden ). But I think that was bad. I'm sure he learned from it and everybody moved on. They looked okay in the Knicks game.

I'm sure after the game, Pop talks to them about everything else. But during game, anybody failing their assignment, Pop should call them out. Spurs didn't have that last year, in Forbes/Beli, not making them accountable.

This year, I like Pop calling them out and get better. And it sends message to the rest. So take it and carry on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They've definitely played a lot better recently, and with the close standins have a chance at a home court in the first round. Still, I don't think they'd be content with a first or second round playoff appearance after the Finals even if it probably was partly due to crazy cir stances.

Plus Riley has a tendency of doing something splashy to shake-up the team. Whether its trading for DeMar is still a question but if they can move a first then they have enough assets to at least get the Spurs consider it.
    Maybe not content, but I don't think they'd make an illogical desperation move either.

If/when they make a move, I suspect it'll be for a big wing/four to replace Crowder. Then they'll probably sign Oladipo in the off season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People in here overreacting, reading too much into a 5 second argument and twitter posts. I find this hilarious. DJ said Pop was on his ass this season to push him to greatness. Ain’t nothing wrong with that. Things got heated with Pop all the time back in the day. He curses people out in film sessions to the point where Kyle Anderson got pissed and Tim had to talk to him. That’s regular Spurs culture. Pop told Danny Green to stfu in a game. This happens. A player talking back to the coach when he gets chewed out is not out of the norm
    +1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want to believe it so bad but I can’t see the spurs trading any of the vets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    demar is expendable only to the extent that we are confident that White can regularly play 33+ mpg. otherwise, our offense basically needs him to function. ideally, White could step up (or we get a FA like Collins who can help the offense), because Derozan does also limit the team due to his lack of defense and outside shooting
    This. The idea is that with DeRozan gone, Murray and White (and maybe Keldon) can pick up the playmaking slack. I don't think is far stretched to suggest these guys can average around 20 ppg and 5/7 apg each. In that case, having a 3 and D guy (Vassell) in the lineup, instead of DeRozan, makes a whole lot more sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol that clip is nothing

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at that clip of DJ and Pop "arguing"

The clip of Becky and Pop arguing was 10 times worse than this...guess she going to be shipped out to

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. The idea is that with DeRozan gone, Murray and White (and maybe Keldon) can pick up the playmaking slack. I don't think is far stretched to suggest these guys can average around 20 ppg and 5/7 apg each. In that case, having a 3 and D guy (Vassell) in the lineup, instead of DeRozan, makes a whole lot more sense.
    basically, yeah. but its a tough question if its worth moving derozan now. team definitely gets worse for the rest of this year (unless white plays bubble levels and stays healthy)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    duncan2k5 - is there a contract the Spurs could offer DeRozan that you could live with? I was on the get-rid-of-him boat since 2019-2020 season, but a lot of posters have pointed out his value in bonding the team. He was the guy holding back Murray from going at Gregg the other night. And what I like best about his play is his passing. He's actively finding the right guy that leads to an open shot.

If I had to choose I'd still say move on, simply because it allows these recent draft picks (Walker, Samanic, Johnson, Vassell) to inherit the swingman minutes... BUT, I won't have a problem if they extend him. The ceiling isn't a le anyway so 3 more years of DeRozan won't be John Wall/Oladipo level dead-end.
    Yeah, I was also all for getting rid of him last season for sure, but now I'm sort of indifferent. Like you said, I still won't have a problem moving on, but it's a little harder now. I'm not sure they can get anyone in the next three years to put us in the actual le contender status. The only way that would happen is if we got a really good young player in return and that guy, or 1 or 2 of our current young guys turn into an all-star or superstar level players, but the likelihood of that happening is pretty small. I don't think the Spurs are going to sign an all-star level or superstar level player in free agency, so yeah, not sure what to do.

The other options are, do you guys think if the Spurs let all the vets go that they could hold that cap space for next year and try for a big free agent signing the following off-season? Not sure what the following year's free agency class is like?

And the second, and my least preferred option is, let all the vets go, and finish in the lottery to try and get a top 5 draft pick to get the all-star level player that way. Having said that, as we all know, a top 5 (or even top 3) draft pick is still no guarantee that you'll get an all-star/superstar level player, and this team might all be too good to finish low enough to get one of those type of picks anyway.

I don't even think he is good at making young players better... everyone on his team got better with Kawhi...Lowry shed his choker label...Pascal became a star...Van Vleet became a known name around the NBA and got a big contract... because Kawhi is similar to Duncan... because they can be great without NEEDING the ball in their hands, it allows other players to build up their games...so Kawhi can go off for 30 or 40 without it meaning he is stifling the growth of other players because he can play off ball...

Typically players like DeMar who always need to hold the ball may get good assist numbers, but it also makes other players on the team one dimensional...it turns them into spot up shooter a as opposed to being dynamic players...so Kawhi could play off ball while Pascal learned his game and drives to the rim or posts up... because he knows he would be given the space to do so since Kawhi is a three point threat and also unselfish
    You've got some more really good points that I didn't think about. The other aspect of TD and Kawhi is they both impacted the game on defense in a huge, huge way, so they really did so much more without the ball in their hands, and yeah, the point about him not having a three point shot, again, shows that it also limits the way he can be effective on offense. He can't spot up like Kawhi and wait for a pass to take an open three. He can however drive, but that is only one option, whereas Kawhi could either shoot an open three or drive if it's a hard closeout on him. No one is going to be closing out hard at DeMar open at the three point line when they know he doesn't want to shoot the three.

What is the tweet thing? Also, someone mentioned reddit. Is it worth reading any Spurs related posts/discussion over there?

Thread Information