Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    black players will never give manu his due. it's like IT saying people only cared about bird because he was white. sports are very racist

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for your signature, you are aware that Hall of famer Sam Jones has 10 rings right?
    Folks from before the 70's weren't ranked, I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like not everyone rides the short bus. Not everyone is a card-carrying Krew member. People outside of ST laughing at the idea of Manu being the second best Spur. Dude never even averaged 20 PPG or 5 APG, lol. Great bench player though, gotta admit.

Kori's nightmare SpurOutofTownFan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like not everyone rides the short bus. Not everyone is a card-carrying Krew member. People outside of ST laughing at the idea of Manu being the second best Spur. Dude never even averaged 20 PPG or 5 APG, lol. Great bench player though, gotta admit.
    Dude - again with the ing stats - this guy never played full minutes so you can't expect him to crack 20 pts average in his career. Math indicates he could have reached those numbers easily had he played to pad his numbers.

People analyzing Manu on the standpoint of numbers are missing the point, more than with any other player of his caliber.

This guys is CLEARLY anywhere between top 30 to 50. Not sure top 30 since we can come up with a pretty decent list from 0 to 30.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sports journalists trying to put their names out there by churning out contrarian opinions just for the sake of having an alternative opinion are disgusting. I don't know how these people enjoy splitting teeny tiny hairs to create the illusion of intelligence. You've got guys like Rob Perez and Matt Moore and then you've got guys like this and Cris Carter.

You've also got emotional lesbians like that Project Spurs homer Quixem Ramirez.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it's a big argument in whether he is top 30 or not.

He's a HOF, which is all that really matters.

If you go by skill, he's top 30 in my book.

If you go by NBA accomplishments, he's not top 30 in my book.

If you go by top closers in the game, he's top 5.

If you go by influence/contributions to the game, he's top 5.

If you go enjoyable to watch, he's probably top 5.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu obviously doesn't have the PPG stats, but his Plus/Minus, VORP, and Win Shares per 36 minutes are all Top 50 of all-time in both playoffs and regular season. PER is 65th all-time.

The guy was a winner, plain and simple. He made things happen that others couldn't. On the all-time SG list, I'd probably only put MJ, Kobe, Wade, and maybe Drexler above him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sharpe and Carter must be suffering with CTE! But all jokes aside, yeah, these guys may be former jocks/professional athletes, but as NFL'ers, they don't have the full grasp/insight of the NBA, in my opinion. Manu DOES deserve 1st ballot in the Basketball Hall of Fame, especially with all of the accolades he's accomplished in his basketball career that not even Michael Jordan, Kobe nor Lebron James have accomplished. Now, aside from his 4 NBA les; his 2 time all star appearances; his 6th man of the year award; 2 time all NBA 3rd Team Award; his Euroleague, FIBA & Italian MVP Awards, but aside from that, he is an Olympic Gold Champion; a Euroleague Champion, & an Italian League Champion. Manu is loaded with awards!!! But alongside Bill Bradley, a HOF'er himself, they are the only two players in basketball, including the NBA, who share winning in major championship les such as the NBA, Euroleague & Olympics! NBA players,who have chimmed in on Manu's retirement, know who they have played with and against, & that's a great compe or with a BIG heart whom they are all acknowledging him as being a HOF'er. To Manu, Argentinian & SAS fans, we know how important he was to the teams he played for which we love, follow & root for as well. He will always be one of our best players in our hearts & minds, no matter what former NFL player, or anyone for that matter, will think about him! Manu's influence on & off the court is off the charts! No Manu in basketball would make for a big difference in basketball history, period! GSG!!!
    Agreed! Excellent post! Two has-been NFL players spouting nonsense! Smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Folks from before the 70's weren't ranked, I think.
    Why? The NBA didn't begin with Jordan. Just like boxing didn't begin with Ali, Tyson, Leonard or Mayweather jr.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry isn't a SG. Also, that's not an arbitrary list. I just posted where Manu ranks among SG's in the all-time list of those stats.
    Sure, but come on man. Kobe and Wade were way better. Don't be a homer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu obviously doesn't have the PPG stats, but his Plus/Minus, VORP, and Win Shares per 36 minutes are all Top 50 of all-time in both playoffs and regular season. PER is 65th all-time.

The guy was a winner, plain and simple. He made things happen that others couldn't. On the all-time SG list, I'd probably only put MJ, Kobe, Wade, and maybe Drexler above him.
    Iverson was a way better player. Other (modern) guys in the conversation include Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Allan Houston, Michael Finley to name a few

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stanley Sharpe? WGAF?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't like comparing the advanced metrics for all time greatness because Manu could never handle 40 MPG over his entire career. You can't play the way he played and not get seriously hurt. So he was perfect as a bench spark plug but to have a guy crash into everyone in the paint for 40 minutes a game and he would have torn an acl or shattered an ankle by the time he was 28.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think this should be a problem. I think after 15 or so, I don't really care about ranking total players. Manu was great, obviously, but where he stacks up against guys from all era? No idea. So long as he makes the HoF in the first three ballots, I don't really care.

I also think you can argue that Parker has a better resume than Manu does, especially if you skew it toward NBA accomplishments. I would rather have Manu at any stage of his career than Tony at that same stage of his career, but Tony certainly gets underrated by Spurs fans nowadays.
    Tony's NBA career accomplishments are certainly better than Manu's, but the inclusion of international ball makes up for the gap imo.

I would be shocked if either of them made it to the second ballot and absolutely floored if it took a third. Tony's HoF case will be similar to Pau's but a bit stronger due to the FMVP award and four top-10 finishes in MVP voting, while Manu's international accomplishments are so impressive and unique that the combination of that and his NBA career will get him in quickly.

For what it's worth, bkref has Tony with a 93.9% HoF probability, Pau 93.3%, Manu 20.0%. But the inclusion of Manu's success in Italy and with the Argentina national team should put him in. That gold medal carries a lot of weight.

https://www.basketball-reference.com.../hof_prob.html
    Last edited by Seventyniner; 08-29-2018 at 02:34 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, but come on man. Kobe and Wade were way better. Don't be a homer
    And who is saying they aren't? Do you understand what my sig says?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Iverson was a way better player. Other (modern) guys in the conversation include Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Allan Houston, Michael Finley to name a few

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Iverson is a better basketball player than Manu and most everyone in the NBA. He's not great on teams, but his individual abilities in his prime were off the charts. His speed and ability to shoot...dude was incredible to watch. If he were a few inches taller, he'd be better than both Lebron and Jordan. Again, individual talent-wise. He was certainly not going to win an NBA le.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Iverson is a better basketball player than Manu and most everyone in the NBA. He's not great on teams, but his individual abilities in his prime were off the charts. His speed and ability to shoot...dude was incredible to watch. If he were a few inches taller, he'd be better than both Lebron and Jordan. Again, individual talent-wise. He was certainly not going to win an NBA le.
    He also played in a different era, where loyalty to one's city and the team that drafted him was held higher in regard versus ring chasing. Players and people in general had more loyalty back then. Now in the social media age every one wants to be an icon, and that means ring chasing a la KD. No one sees any glory in winning in the small town market that trusted you enough to draft and develop you as a 19 year old. Iverson could have definitely won a ring in today's era, if clones like Kyrie Irving (who is basically the 2018 Stephon Marbury) can win rings alongside players like LeBron. If Iverson played in today's game he would be eve more amazing with the lack of physical defense and defenders in general. He would be on a super team paired with a guy like LeBron or Anthony Davis or whatever and nobody would label him as a cancer, just as another awesome baller.

That being said, Argies gonna Argie. Just respect Manu for what he is/was. A great, great ball player, certainly a hall of famer, an icon for his style of play, a great steward/ambassador of the game, selfless personality who chose to win at all costs including his own personal glory. One of the best if not the best international players of all time to play in the NBA. And in the conversation among the game's all time great SGs. But not above guys who were clearly better players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    COME OWLN SKIIILP!!

Shannon's always good for a laugh. Takes, nah.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, is he really that great, then?

Also, great hability to shoot what? 40% from the field, 30% from 3 and 75% from FT's?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He also played in a different era, where loyalty to one's city and the team that drafted him was held higher in regard versus ring chasing. Players and people in general had more loyalty back then. Now in the social media age every one wants to be an icon, and that means ring chasing a la KD. No one sees any glory in winning in the small town market that trusted you enough to draft and develop you as a 19 year old. Iverson could have definitely won a ring in today's era, if clones like Kyrie Irving (who is basically the 2018 Stephon Marbury) can win rings alongside players like LeBron. If Iverson played in today's game he would be eve more amazing with the lack of physical defense and defenders in general. He would be on a super team paired with a guy like LeBron or Anthony Davis or whatever and nobody would label him as a cancer, just as another awesome baller.

That being said, Argies gonna Argie. Just respect Manu for what he is/was. A great, great ball player, certainly a hall of famer, an icon for his style of play, a great steward/ambassador of the game, selfless personality who chose to win at all costs including his own personal glory. One of the best if not the best international players of all time to play in the NBA. And in the conversation among the game's all time great SGs. But not above guys who were clearly better players.
    "Argies gonna Argie" Realizing Manu was a better basketball player than Iverson has nothing to do with nationalities you xenophibic mofo. Tell me one ing thing Iverson was better than Manu at, other than speed. Just one ing thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Swap Manu and Iverson in the '04 Olympics and team USA wins by 30. That's how much better Manu was than Iverson as a basketball player.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All stats have blind spots or shortcomings, but advanced stats like Win Shares and BPM, especially when measured over a longer period of time, show pure effectiveness on the court free from sentimentality, perception, Public Relations, etc., etc.

It's not a coincidence that Manu was usually near the top of the league in these stats during his prime.

Awards like Finals MVP are overrated. The award in '07 easily could've gone to Duncan instead of Parker, and if the Spurs had pulled out the win in '13, it might've gone to Danny Green. Manu was an integral part of a championship level team for more than a solid decade. That means much more than a single award.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skip may be the best troll of all time.
    It’s like listenning a spurstalk post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No value under my roof in Shannon sharpes opinion. I feel fortunate Manu was a leader on my favorite team and sure that he is a first ballot HOF’er.

Thread Information