Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All we need is a young bigman and we are set for the next 10 years. Make it happen RC

Seems his party is not in good terms with the suns, can we afford him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No to both halves of the question. The last thing the Spurs need is a more expensive, non-star upgrade to their second-best player. That's the last thing they need, because they need a whole lot of other first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are a lot of pieces needed and Ayton ain't one of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs signed Ayton and drafted Mathurin, Sean's Arizona references would reach the thousands per season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if the Spurs wanted to they could make it happen. It also depends on if the player wants to play in S.A. And what the Suns want for him. There's some discussion about him in the whole off-season thread if you are interested in checking out other POV.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's very complicated bc in addition to the player, the Suns, etc you also have to trade Jakob. So overall while I considered it, I think that's a no.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think the Spurs should consider offering the max to Ayton (as a second choice after Lavine) if only because of the point that timvp made in a post a few weeks back where the Spurs young core are coming up for extensions which is going to eat up the cap space after next season. It’s either now or never. Keldon and Poeltl are due big pay rises in the next 12 months. If you sign those two theres goes all your cap space and your left with just the draft and trades to build your team.

Not saying you go out and do it but it should be considered strongly if there are no better ways to improve the team.

Ayton is young enough that if things don’t pan out after two years of the 4 year deal, he’ll still only be 26 years old after the 2024 season and you can trade him for other assets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could easy be a two star not a third wheel
    Give him more touches and better coach he would be better on d
    He is a much better max player then other guy who is it healthy

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I’m not 100% sold on the idea, signing either Lavine or Ayton imo puts the Spurs on a much faster track of improving the team and getting back to the playoffs.

You sign Ayton, you can then draft Sochan or Eason at 9 and trade Poeltl for an upgrade at the 2/3. Or you sign Ayton, you can draft a Mathurin or Davis at 9 and trade Poeltl for a PF.

Yeah your salary cap is going to be way higher, but your going to be capped out in 12 months anyway when you sign Johnson or Poeltl to extensions. It obviously depends on ownership too if they’re willing to go to that level of salary/tax.

The one thing I’ll say about signing guys like Ayton and Lavine is that while they are talented offensive players, they both are pretty soft so they will only thrive if you put the right tough/defensive minded players around them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Motor concerns raised about him will scare ppl off

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lavine Will be like Leonard soon no lift
    Stay away

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Motor concerns raised about him will scare ppl off
    Lol suns owner is cheap does not want to man up and pay
    Kind of shocked he paid to give Chris another shot at le

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I’m not 100% sold on the idea, signing either Lavine or Ayton imo puts the Spurs on a much faster track of improving the team and getting back to the playoffs.

You sign Ayton, you can then draft Sochan or Eason at 9 and trade Poeltl for an upgrade at the 2/3. Or you sign Ayton, you can draft a Mathurin or Davis at 9 and trade Poeltl for a PF.

Yeah your salary cap is going to be way higher, but your going to be capped out in 12 months anyway when you sign Johnson or Poeltl to extensions. It obviously depends on ownership too if they’re willing to go to that level of salary/tax.

The one thing I’ll say about signing guys like Ayton and Lavine is that while they are talented offensive players, they both are pretty soft so they will only thrive if you put the right tough/defensive minded players around them.
    Good point and the thing is that Jakob is as good as he's going to be at this point. Once the Spurs extend their players they are basically set with a core that can't make it past the play in, so that will be a mistake. They need to shake things up b4 then. I am not sure if this is the move but they will probably consider it. Ayton is better offensively than Jakob, is a lob threat for DJ, and also has a better jumper, can hit FT etc. He's an improvement over Jakob on the things he can do offensively.

His motor issues and compe iveness, in addition to the fallout with Monty is something the Spurs will have to consider, but I don't know if people remember that Lamarcus was a diva that quarelled with teammates and joined the Spurs after a horrid postseason showing with Portland where he wasn't even talking to teammates and played awful. So the Spurs may very well consider it if they want to move from Jakob, and they were already considering that -- they were just asking for a lot. Is this the trade they want?. I don't know, it's probably one of several being considered.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 05-20-2022 at 01:24 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol suns owner is cheap does not want to man up and pay
    Kind of shocked he paid to give Chris another shot at le
    what's up with you lately, ducks? you're actually sticking almost completely to basketball takes.

David Beat Me Up :(
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As others said, if we don’t use our cap space it’s going away soon. I would rather use it on ayton or Lavine then extend kelvin and vassel etc then not use it extend vassell and kelvin and lose the space

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Final piece, definitely not. It's likely he's the best puzzle piece we can add through FA in this salary cap cycle (ie. without a tear down of our current roster to free cap space); as people have mentioned in this thread, we are in a position of use the cap space or lose the cap space (and I prefer Ayton to Lavine).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys are crazy Unless we draft a center, I would make Ayton a max offer on day one of free agency. The guy is young, has all-star potential, and would fit the timeline of our current roster. It’s a no-brainer.

The only real question is whether he would take our offer, and the answer is probably no.

David Beat Me Up :(
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would hope we would have some idea if lavine is interested in signing before free agency opens. If he is I throw a max offer at him day one. If not, I throw a max offer at ayton. They are the best available this cap space cycle for us. Plus it’s not like top tier free agents are knocking down our door

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton is not my 1st choice, but players like him don’t come knocking a lot. And yes an Eason pairing would be ideal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs still need a guy putting the ball in the basket, like Lavine. Then spurs are a top 4 in the west team but will get bounced in the playoffs for not having the best player on the court.

Edit.top 4 if they get ayton as well.
    Last edited by tbdog; 05-20-2022 at 03:52 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton is a RFA.
    Lavine is an UFA.
    For having Ayton we have to deal a sign and trade with Phoenix and I frankly think that, differently from other teams with cap space, we have the pieces that could be of interest for Phoenix (Poeltl or Collins, Mcd, Richardson, K.J., Picks), plus the advantage of the good relationship with Monty Wiliams (and the bad one he has with the player...that probably will mean he's ok with trading him).
    For having Lavine we can use just our cap space...

All in all, if we really love them, we could definitively have both, that obviously if both players choose and like our team and our plans...

Ideally : sign and trade we receive DAA on a 30 plus starting contract we give to Phoenix Poeltl, MC Dermott, Richardson (combined are 33 millions)

then we sign Lavine to another 30 millions per year contract (using cap space)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton is a RFA.

then we sign Lavine to another 30 millions per year contract (using cap space)
    LaVine's max will start at closer to 40 million with the new projected cap for 2023.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that guy is smoking too much weed ... and we need so many more puzzle pieces

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's tough bc you can't say oh we don't need to worry about a replacement to our second best player when yes, yes we do. Poeltl is a C player and a B player like Ayton would help us as an upgrade. But does he really help in the way that we need him to defensively. The guy got bodied up by Luka and flat out quit when adversity hit him. I can't get over that. Facing Luka 4 times a year and potentially in the playoffs might just kill his confidence. The dude needs to go East to save his career.

Plus Ayton has all the same flaws defensively as Poeltl. He gets dominated by elite big men and isn't really a factor on offense to take advantage of teams playing small. He's by far a better offensive player than Poeltl in that he is a lob threat and makes free throws, but not enough to move the needle. There's no real quick fix to the Spurs. We just don't have the horses to be good again. Lavine would help a lot, but it's just enough to be like CHI where we lose in the 1st round. But hey the MVP of the league got bounced in 5 games in the 1st round so we will be in good company

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said in the other threads, if you can get him, get him. Trade Poeltl for more draft capital. See if you can get LaVine too. See how much Houston wants for the #3 pick. The Spurs have a ton of options and they better be wheeling and dealing like crazy to significantly improve the team since they don’t want to tank

Thread Information