My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who in their right minds would trade 2 first for jakob

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Gobert can return 5 (some of which even have limited protections) and a pick swap plus two usable players for Gobert and his albatross 170mm remaining contract, Jak is probably worth 2 FRPs for a team looking to add a defensive minded center for the long term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see a few. Especially if SA adds say the CHA pick and gets back 2 more “certain” firsts etc

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like they tested the market but per this report still have a very high asking price, which is probably the challenge. He’s an acquired test I guess for some teams. We probably overvalue him a little as well as the league undervaluing him. I suppose things could change before training camp but it doesn’t sound like it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timofey Mozgov
    January 7, 2015
    : Traded by the Denver Nuggets with a 2015 2nd round draft pick (Sir'Dominic Pointer was later selected) to the Cleveland Cavaliers for a 2016 1st round draft pick (Furkan Korkmaz was later selected) and a 2017 1st round draft pick (Harry Giles was later selected). (CLE sends pair of 1st-Rd picks to DEN. One of the picks is from OKC, which is top-18 protected in 2015 & top-15 protected afterwards. The other pick is from MEM & is conveyed if between 6-14 in 2015 or 2016 & and is top-5 protected in 2017 & 2018).

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers are going to deal Westbrick. That team will likely be due for another ty year with the aging King, the inept point gawd, and the center cut from glass.
    Lakers don't seem to understand that Westbrook is one of the most negative assets in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Gobert can return 5 (some of which even have limited protections) and a pick swap plus two usable players for Gobert and his albatross 170mm remaining contract, Jak is probably worth 2 FRPs for a team looking to add a defensive minded center for the long term.
    In theory you're right, in practice it's all supply and demand, and Gobert's return is a result of one desperate GM and can't be used for reference. Also Myles Turner being available lowers Poeltl's price. Unfortunately cir stances are not the best for us in this aspect either, which is why maybe we're going to have to sell cheaper than expected or wait until Indy & Utah make their moves now and the dust settles, and wait until the trade deadline approaches for some team's creeping desperation to yield good dividends for us.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah’s cap space is largely irrelevant in this race as they are under the luxury cap threshold and between Conley, Bogdonovich, Clarkson and Gay that is 57mm dollars they can use to eat bad contracts for picks. They are absolutely a compe or of ours in cap utilization for picks.

Why does Jak’s value fall while JRich’s increases? Basically same contract.
    My understanding is that they would have to ship out many contracts in order to open up the space, so they can't just eat bad money like Indy and we could. I suppose the counter is that they have many more desirable expirings that other teams would like than what we can offer.

Unlike Richardson, i think who ever offers value for Jak will want to know they can keep him long term or else theyll just wait until the offseason. Rich is just a gunner rental for a deep playoff push.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NEWSFLASH: No news.

None of this is a surprise. The market froze when the Nets brats started wailing and it never picked back up. Westbrook is way too expensive for two picks years from now.

I favor Poeltl and Richardson staying for now. Right now we only have Tre as a PG and there's only Zollins as a center if Poeltl goes -- Dieng is old as and Collins' health should still be regarded as uncertain. Trade those two players to contenders as things shape up during the year.

That's pretty much it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad luck and the Spurs? Nah.

Definitely trade Yak now. Orchestrating a sign and trade next off-season seems like a long shot. He needs to be on a good team, bot giving us extra wins. We scored with Dejounte but not all trades are home runs. Take a first and move on.
    I understand they're still trying to somewhat repair their reputation and obviously need to maximize value, but they'd be fools to risk slightly hurting their draft odds and risking injury.

They've also got to be realistic. Poeltl plays arguably the most oversaturated position and unlike White and Murray, with them gone and his contract expiring, the league knows he's next.

He's probably worth a mid-rounder and a recent first whose value has declined. Something like Plumlee, Jones and getting the Hornets to lessen the protections on their '23 1st.

Richardson is probably worth two seconds, one in the early and another in the mid round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see Charlotte back at the table. They are a bottom feeding east team for the foreseeable future. That FRP isnmt going to convey as a first.

Jak’s value is now is probably realized in a much broader deal. Solo he’ll maybe fetch a far out top 10 protected.

Keep in mind we can easily outbid anyone next summer regardless of where he is traded. We will probably have to pay a premium to retain him next summer anyways so get something now and revisit his fit in summer 2023.
    Last edited by KingKev; 09-19-2022 at 04:28 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with those who feel the Spurs assets for trade are poor, the only way they get Westbrook and picks is if Utah and Indiana don't feel like it. Bogdanovic & Clarkson or Conley, or Turner & Hield will help the Lakers win games more than McDermott & Richardson even if they added Collins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other teams can afford to wait out the Spurs, who will be forced to dump Jak and Rich for whatever they can get at the trade deadline.

It’s weird how the glow of eight years ago is so bright that it keeps so many from seeing that the Spurs are now a rudderless bottom-feeding franchise with no plan to return to the playoffs, much less contention. Probably nobody on the roster will still be on the team the next time the Spurs finish above .500.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see Charlotte back at the table. They are a bottom feeding east team for the foreseeable future. That FRP isnmt going to convey as a first.

Jak’s value is now is probably realized in a much broader deal. Solo he’ll maybe fetch a far out top 10 protected.

Keep in mind we can easily outbid anyone next summer regardless of where he is traded. We will probably have to pay a premium to retain him next summer anyways so get something now and revisit his fit in summer 2023.
    They've got to do something to stem the tide and appease Ball. I realize Poeltl isn't a starry name, but he could go aways to helping stabilize the defense and the cost isn't prohibitive enough to prevent them from attempting to but their way into the sweepstakes for the next star.

In terms of '23, top 10 protected would have a chance to convey, but obviously it couldn't be exclusive to next year.

Maybe or maybe the Spurs would be fine with another pick further out, so long as it's a likely late lottery one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They've got to do something to stem the tide and appease Ball. I realize Poeltl isn't a starry name, but he could go aways to helping stabilize the defense and the cost isn't prohibitive enough to prevent them from attempting to but their way into the sweepstakes for the next star.

In terms of '23, top 10 protected would have a chance to convey, but obviously it couldn't be exclusive to next year.

Maybe or maybe the Spurs would be fine with another pick further out, so long as it's a likely late lottery one.
    Charlotte’s short term timeline will be defined by the Bridges situation. If he is a no go this year it’s time to reboot/rebuild and that means asset gathering and their most baluable assets the jext few years are probably their own FRPs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NEWSFLASH: No news.

None of this is a surprise. The market froze when the Nets brats started wailing and it never picked back up. Westbrook is way too expensive for two picks years from now.

I favor Poeltl and Richardson staying for now. Right now we only have Tre as a PG and there's only Zollins as a center if Poeltl goes -- Dieng is old as and Collins' health should still be regarded as uncertain. Trade those two players to contenders as things shape up during the year.

That's pretty much it.
    Pop has a major fetish for playing guys out of position. Sochan could potentially be playing material minutes at the 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other teams can afford to wait out the Spurs, who will be forced to dump Jak and Rich for whatever they can get at the trade deadline.

It’s weird how the glow of eight years ago is so bright that it keeps so many from seeing that the Spurs are now a rudderless bottom-feeding franchise with no plan to return to the playoffs, much less contention. Probably nobody on the roster will still be on the team the next time the Spurs finish above .500.
    How does this make a lick of sense? Waiting out the Spurs?

Man people have a foul idea of how works. Teams will play the season. Whether due to injuries or otherwise, some playoff teams will realize they need a player or two. That's the market. No one is 'waiting out' the Spurs whatever the that means.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has a major fetish for playing guys out of position. Sochan could potentially be playing material minutes at the 5.
    Have you not been watching the NBA for the last eight years?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Charlotte’s short term timeline will be defined by the Bridges situation. If he is a no go this year it’s time to reboot/rebuild and that means asset gathering and their most baluable assets the jext few years are probably their own FRPs.
    In a practical sense, yes, but they've got to be concerned with shades of '20 Young sooner than later.

Emerging young star who sees his draft mate Edwards flanked by two All-NBA caliber players and probably thought his own team was up and coming, has seen their fortunes turn on a dime and wants immediate reinforcements to stay invested in non glamor market.

Their pick is most likely to land in the mid-late lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you not been watching the NBA for the last eight years?
    What are you arguing. On one hand you said we have lack of depth at the center position if Jak is moved and now you are arguing a 6’8 Socahn (whom has never played center) makes a whole lotta sense.

Sochan should be playing the 4 out the gate. Especially on a roster that hasn’t had a true decent PF in years. He can moonlight as a center, matchup dependent.
    Last edited by KingKev; 09-19-2022 at 07:01 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are you arguing. On one hand you said we have lack of depth at the center position if Jak is moved and now you are arguing a 6’8 Socahn (whom has never played center makes sense) makes a whole lotta sense.

Sochan should be playing the 4 out the gate. Especially on a roster who hasn’t has a true decent PF in years.
    If Sochan's defensive abilities are real, I think he could spot some minutes at 5....but I agree, I'd rather let him focus on his true position and cut out this small ball bull . We just don't have the personnel to make it work

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with those who feel the Spurs assets for trade are poor, the only way they get Westbrook and picks is if Utah and Indiana don't feel like it. Bogdanovic & Clarkson or Conley, or Turner & Hield will help the Lakers win games more than McDermott & Richardson even if they added Collins.
    Utah can’t absorb his contract. They can only send out expirings for Russ’s expiring, and that doesn’t generate a trade exception. Only Indy and us can create that exception. Once Indy makes a deal, we become the only game in town for cap rental.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah can’t absorb his contract. They can only send out expirings for Russ’s expiring, and that doesn’t generate a trade exception. Only Indy and us can create that exception. Once Indy makes a deal, we become the only game in town for cap rental.
    If they send out a combination of Bogdonovich, Clarkson, Conley and/or Gay they easily can. For the Lakers having players who immediately help their team is probably more valuable than a TE when you are paying draft capital to remove Russ.

The proper way to look at how this all shakes down is cap space plus useful vets.

Utah may not have the cap but they are loaded with useful players/contracts.

Similar to us Indiana has useful players/contracts and cap space. Their players are arguable better fits.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they send out a combination of Bogdonovich, Clarkson, Conley and/or Gay they easily can. For the Lakers having players who immediately help their team is probably more valuable than a TE when you are paying draft capital to remove Russ.

The proper way to look at how this all shakes down is cap space plus useful vets.

Utah may not have the cap but they are loaded with useful players/contracts.

Similar to us Indiana has useful players/contracts and cap space. Their players are arguable better fits.
    I agree with KingKev

An exception is not the only game in town. Spurs can't absorb 47 million, they can only get halfway there without any other players.

A straight trade of Westbrook and picks for Bogdanovic, Conley and Gay works. Bogdanovic has scored 17+ a game for 4+ seasons, I'm sure he's more valuable desirable than McDermott.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bogdanovic, Conley and Clarkson for Westbrook and Nunn works in the trade machine also

Thread Information