Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of us have felt this way for the longest time, but this was the first time I ever heard anybody from the media say it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If winning is the standard, if a winning building block is the standard, then Tim could well be be top five of all time.

(And that should be the standard.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As other stars (legit or media created) fail to duplicate what Tim did his worth may continue to grow with some mainstreamers like Patrick.

All done without aid of rigged reffing, rigged trades. Make Tims accomplishments far more valuable.

The Kobme comparison is a joke. Kombe might be compared with Manu.

Curry is awesome on O. It ends there. Without the rigged reffing and roster not sure he wins more then 1 Championship. We see what he does now (out of playoffs).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry is awesome on O. It ends there. Without the rigged reffing and roster not sure he wins more then 1 Championship. We see what he does now (out of playoffs).
    To be fair, Spteh is limited defensively by his small frame tbh, but he tries

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I caught that segment last week. Patrick was gushing over Tim; it was one of the first times a national media talking head not named skip bayless heaped so much praise on a spur.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If winning is the standard, if a winning building block is the standard, then Tim could well be be top five of all time.

(And that should be the standard.)
    He's easily top 5 when you look at his advance stats, and all the accolades that he has won. He has the most all-nba defensive appearances. He's tied with Kobe for most combined all time NBA and defensive appearances. He's the all time playoff leader for blocks, and double doubles. There are several other achievements Tim has that I'm not going to list but when you go down the list very few players can match his resume.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's definitely top 5 on my list. So i agree with Dan Patrick.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every guy with brain knows this.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's easily top 5 when you look at his advance stats, and all the accolades that he has won. He has the most all-nba defensive appearances. He's tied with Kobe for most combined all time NBA and defensive appearances. He's the all time playoff leader for blocks, and double doubles. There are several other achievements Tim has that I'm not going to list but when you go down the list very few players can match his resume.
    I think he should be considered the best defensive player of all time, or at least in the short list. What's shocking is that he anchored some of the best defenses of all time over several years and years, and yet never won DPOY because he didn't get enough blocked shots.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As other stars (legit or media created) fail to duplicate what Tim did his worth may continue to grow with some mainstreamers like Patrick.

All done without aid of rigged reffing, rigged trades. Make Tims accomplishments far more valuable.

The Kobme comparison is a joke. Kombe might be compared with Manu.

It's even more impressive when you think about how some of those things were rigged to rein in Tim's dominance.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he should be considered the best defensive player of all time, or at least in the short list. What's shocking is that he anchored some of the best defenses of all time over several years and years, and yet never won DPOY because he didn't get enough blocked shots.
    The problem was during Duncan's prime years there was no analytics movement. Whoever lead the league in blocks or steals or rebounds would always get the DPOY. If advanced stats had existed back then he would have won at least 1 DPOY and possibly even more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem was during Duncan's prime years there was no analytics movement. Whoever lead the league in blocks or steals or rebounds would always get the DPOY. If advanced stats had existed back then he would have won at least 1 DPOY and possibly even more.
    well the year marc gasol won i remember advanced stats were a big part of it

chandler won it once and he was never a big shotblocker either

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well the year marc gasol won i remember advanced stats were a big part of it

chandler won it once and he was never a big shotblocker either
    Key Word Duncan's prime. Duncan's prime wasn't in 2013 when Gasol won the DPOY. Chandler also won the award in 2012 which wasn't Duncan's prime either. During the '00s advanced stats weren't used when it came to winning this award.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every guy with brain knows this.
    Well, you would think that, but common sense is not common these days.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why was this even a debate? SMH

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why Patrick doesn't work at ESPN anymore. No way in would they let a minion of theirs say this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN would’ve shamed Patrick for saying that on their watch. He would be made to be the laughingstock of the network. Good thing he’s not there anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is known, tbh.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan scoring over triple teams (during the not so non Downey soft era of physical play) wasn't boring at all to watch it was straight up mystifying doing that and getting double digits in rebounds a couple assists and several blocks. An he dunk the ball plenty of times.

Cool that DP gives props when due but he never really watched spurs games with his comments.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why Patrick doesn't work at ESPN anymore. No way in would they let a minion of theirs say this.
    ESPN would’ve shamed Patrick for saying that on their watch. He would be made to be the laughingstock of the network. Good thing he’s not there anymore.
    All facts!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2003 Duncan was one of the single best players to ever step on the basketball court.

His career is #2 behind Michael.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As Dan Patrick alluded to, it's really hard to compare eras when determining the top 5. Bill Russell ac ulated 11 championships, but several of those came when the league had only 8 teams, and never more than 14. Doubtful Russell's ring count would have been 11 in today's league. Chamberlain's numbers look great, but he played in an era where there we very few bigs who could challenge him. A young Lew Alcindor outplayed Wilt when he entered the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kareem is true GOAT
    Chamberlain second best all time
    Jordan third
    Russell 4th
    Duncan 5th

Just the facts

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kareem is true GOAT
    Chamberlain second best all time
    Jordan third
    Russell 4th
    Duncan 5th

Just the facts
    I have those as my top 5, just not in the same order.

Thread Information