Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A former J.C. Penney employee said she was sent home from work for wearing shorts she bought in the store's career style section, launching a heated discussion about dress codes for women online.

Sylva Stoel of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, called out her former employer on Twitter last week, accusing her boss of sending her home because her red linen shorts were "too revealing," she said.

"I was at work for about 10 minutes before he approached me," Stoel, 17, told TODAY.com. "He asked if anyone talked to me about dress code at orientation."

After he reportedly asked her how long it would take to go home and change, she quit on the spot, Stoel said.

"I bought [the shorts] thinking they were pretty professional," she added. "They didn't show anything other than my legs, which I don't think is too provocative."

RELATED: Sister slams high school in viral post after girl sent home for outfit

She posted a photo of the outfit in question online: a blue sleeveless shirt, red shorts and sandals.

While shorts do violate J.C. Penney's dress code for employees, Stoel said she never learned that in orientation. The company declined to comment.

The teen said she's fed up with dress codes that target women, and she's not the first to speak up about it — many young women have voiced concerns that school and work dress codes are sexist.

"It's blowing up," she said. "I'm very satisfied that people are paying attention to the cause and starting a discussion on dress codes in the workplace and at schools, and how we view women."

RELATED: Teen asked to cover up at school dance felt 'embarrassed and ashamed'

She said she agrees with dress code rules that aren't gender-specific — "no gang attire, no explicit imagery, no pajamas," she wrote on Twitter — but not ones that suggest women should always keep their legs and shoulders covered, for example.

"It's always been an issue, but the Internet is making women feel like they can express their opinion," Stoel said. "We have a huge community of feminists who will share it and give it validation. What we're doing isn't wrong, it's society that is wrong."

Stoel, who had worked at J.C. Penney for about two weeks, is now looking for a new job.

http://www.today.com/style/j-c-penne...-bought-t35181

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not sure if same chick, some similarities. Google pics under same name led to this YouTube:
    http://img.huffingtonpost.com//asset...0001430db.jpeg

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'd send her home for showing those nasty feet. Everyone knows the standard is an inch above the knee.

Teach me how to Jimmer playjimmer's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Pretty sure men aren't allowed to wear shorts either, so what is the problem?

Name
    Ubuntu
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Orlando Magic
    That looks like a summer outfit. Not close to professional. Maybe some red pants or khakis. Sandles? At J.C. Penney? While at work? Is this JC Penney on a Caribbean island?

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Duke Blue Devils
    I'd send her home for showing those nasty feet. Everyone knows the standard is an inch above the knee.
    You'd suck em

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    it depends on the industry or environment shes working in..

but wtf wears sandals in retail or hospitality sector? thats just looking for an injury payout if she slips and falls on a

CubanSucksSuperFunTimeGo! Pauly D's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Jersey Nets
    It's the dress code, get over it. There is no irony or hypocrisies on JC P's part. And It's not like they didn't give her the chance to change. Fitting it's a 17 yr old who is stupid enough to think that's professional for a retail job and then quit because it's so ing inconvenient to go home and change. And I didn't see anything about it when I skimmed through but I wouldn't doubt if it had something to do with BEING KEPT FROM EXPRESSING MYSELF!!!

Pretty sure men aren't allowed to wear shorts either, so what is the problem?
    Private business. Who cares even if they did have different dress codes for men and women? Everyone has the right to not be employed there

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    who gives a you got

CubanSucksSuperFunTimeGo! Pauly D's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Jersey Nets
    who gives a you got
    Who the are you talking to?

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Who the are you talking to?
    im talking to the op u c.unt

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    im talking to the op u c.unt
    Might as well be talking to him too.

Who makes a name after some guido on a tv show? Gay if you ask me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Most standard dress codes for dresses, skirts are knee length. Those shorts would not be work appropriate in most businesses.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So if she bought a bikini from JC Penny, would she be able to wear it to work?

It's an employee dress code. These kids think they can do whatever they want and throw a tantrum when they can't.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Another dumb broad with logic. Dress professionally if you want to keep am easily replaceable job.

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Just another Air head who is clueless about working in a real job.
    Princess did get her 15 minutes. The highlight of her life.......

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    The teen said she's fed up with dress codes that target women, and she's not the first to speak up about it — many young women have voiced concerns that school and work dress codes are sexist.
    These days anything that forces women to take responsibility and accountability is "sexist" according to some.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    it depends on the industry or environment shes working in..

but wtf wears sandals in retail or hospitality sector? thats just looking for an injury payout if she slips and falls on a
    She does appear to have a nice rack.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    She really should have showed them by wearing a JC Penney brand bikini

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How is this thread worthy, or even a story? OP sucks so many s.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    who gives a you got
    How is this thread worthy, or even a story? OP sucks so many s.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's probably because nobody wanted to see those pasty white legs.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    , if you're living in South Dakota and working at a JC Penneys, you should be allowed whatever the you want. The next logical step is taking a trucker bukake on the interstate.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    , fabbs reads and posts the stupidest articles

Thread Information