Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually run marathons, so I don't need that XXXL shirt =)
    Pop's logic that Trump himself denigrates the office so that Pop is free to not respect the office himself is a logical fallacy he is using to make what he said okay. It's a tell-tale sign that Pop knows he's disrespecting the office, or else he doesn't have to make the argument in the first place.
    As I said before (and as is crystal clear in Pop's original statement) Pop does absolutely nothing to denigrate the office of the presidency. Absolutely nothing. I defy you to find a single sentiment uttered against the office. Pop entirely restricts himself to criticism of the man. Your faux-outrage about Pop "disrespecting the office" is based entirely on an an incorrect understanding of what he said.
    And just like I can't give you the list of everyone not watching ESPN but I can show you their ratings have tanked and they're killing Disney's stock, I can show you in a few months how this impacted the Spurs' bottomline.
    ESPN is declining because of ford cutting and streaming sports services eating their lunch, not because people are suddenly offended by the political actions of the sports leagues/networks.And probably only a handful of people follow the spurs closely enough to know that Pop even talks about politics. A tiny fraction of those people disagree with Pop's views (after all, the NBA is the most socially progressive league in American sports). An even tinier fraction of that fraction is offended enough to never buy spurs merch ever again .I guarantee you that the spurs will make more money this year than the did the previous year. And more money than any year prior to that. There is no public outcry against Pop. There is no backlash against his statement among the exceedingly small number of people who follow the NBA closely enough to know or care.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How am I "crying"? You're free to spend your money however you want. I'm equally free to make fun of your meltdown.
    How is spending my money elsewhere a meltdown? And now I'm equally free to make fun of you for making fun of me for a faux meltdown.

See how this is illogical?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now you're down to threatening others? Very intellectually persuasive, Atl.
    I'll you up. Time and place face.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been a Spurs fan since 2002, purchased their stuff, went to games, followed them closely. I've got a Spurs tag on my vehicle, and I live in Tennessee where that's not common.

I'm done with the Spurs.

If Popovich is going to publicly berate the president of the United States and speak gloriously of the women wearing "pussy" hats and cheering Madonna as she talks about thinking of physically destroying the White House, I'm out. Not watching another Spurs game. I wanted to enjoy fundamental basketball, not see the president I voted to clean up crony elitists selling out the middle class be ridiculed in ways that nobody would ever say about Obama. When he won, none of this stuff happened... we might not have liked what he was doing, but we respected democracy and the office.

It was a fun decade routing for my favorite team. Watching Manu and Timmy (was never a Parker fan) was a real treat.

Over and out,

- BL
    OP was triggered. We wont miss you, Snowflake.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    How is spending my money elsewhere a meltdown? And now I'm equally free to make fun of you for making fun of me for a faux meltdown.

See how this is illogical?
    Your thread is the meltdown, not the way you're spending your money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now you're down to threatening others? Very intellectually persuasive, Atl.
    Sir I'm not threatening you. I see that everything I direct towards you must be explained in detail...... In life we all get to be the winner/loser, oppressed/oppressor, right/wrong etc...... So when you are on either end of the spectrum be sure to objectively speak concerning a topic. No internet bullying here

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I said before (and as is crystal clear in Pop's original statement) Pop does absolutely nothing to denigrate the office of the presidency. Absolutely nothing. I defy you to find a single sentiment uttered against the office. Pop entirely restricts himself to criticism of the man. Your faux-outrage about Pop "disrespecting the office" is based entirely on an an incorrect understanding of what he said.
    I've already pointed out how he disrespected the office. He said we cannot believe anything the president of the United States says. And he knows he shouldn't say that - that's why he prefaced it with a logical fallacy to excuse it. Imagine that Trump finds out we're under imminent attack... if he informs the public, according to Pop we can't believe that. It's dangerous, it's wrong, it crosses a line.

ESPN is declining because streaming sports services are eating their lunch, not because people are suddenly offended by the political actions of the sports leagues/networks.

And probably only a handful of people follow the spurs closely enough to know that Pop even talks about politics. A tiny fraction of those people disagree with Pop's views (after all, the NBA is the most socially progressive league in American sports). An even tinier fraction of that fraction is offended enough to never buy spurs merch ever again .

I guarantee you that the spurs will make more money this year than the did the previous year. And more money than any year prior to that. There is no public outcry against Pop. There is no backlash against his statement among the exceedingly small number of people who follow the NBA closely enough to know or care.
    And ESPN would always be the worldwide leader in sports... and the NFL's ratings would never go down... and... and... and...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sir I'm not threatening you. I see that everything I direct towards you must be explained in detail...... In life we all get to be the winner/loser, oppressed/oppressor, right/wrong etc...... So when you are on either end of the spectrum be sure to objectively speak concerning a topic. No internet bullying here
    I try to be kind to others in all situations. Of course, when someone insinuates I am a fool using their grandmother's teachings, I might flip the script to catch their attention

But no, you're cool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump lies at at rate of 5 times per minute. How the can you believe anything he says? You poor delusional bas .

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Can the MODs just ban this got? I seriously never even knew this account existed before today.

OP

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember in '03 when David Robinson was Pro-Iraq War and stated that anybody who didn't support the war was unpatriotic. At the time I was offended by that statement because I was anti-war. I thought that was an idiotic thing for David to say back then but I was still not willing to disown being a spurs fan. I'm very glad I didn't because I would have missed out on 4 Championship runs. If you are going to base your fandom on athletes, coaches, not agreeing with your political views or just life views then you are going to be in for a world of pain and disappointment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes this is the man we should trust and never question

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/u....html#analysis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, all politicians lie. But Donald Trump is in a class by himself.
    He lies strategically. He lies pointlessly. He lies about important things and meaningless things. Above all, he lies frequently. Since he began his campaign last June, the Republican presidential candidate has subjected America to a daily barrage of inaccuracy and mendacity.
    His rival, Hillary Clinton, has her own reputation for dishonesty. Some of it is no doubt earned: she has made false claims this campaign about her email scandal, about her flip-flop on the Trans-Pacific Partnership, and about assorted other things. But our scrutiny shows there is just no comparison in their level of accuracy on the campaign trail. At the three presidential debates, for example, we counted 104 false claims for Trump to 13 for Clinton.
    The extreme, unprecedented quan y of Trump falsehoods is why we started fact-checking everything he said. From mid-September through Sunday, we did 28 “#TrumpCheck” analyses of every word he uttered or tweeted in a given day.
    The total: 560 false claims, or a neat 20 per day.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's the problem - you don't my race. Why do I have to be white? Why is my logic, my thought process, my freedom to make judgments based on my race?

I appreciate your openness and thoughtfulness, but I think we all need to get away from labeling to the point everyone has to fit in these neat little boxes based on the melanin in their skin or the genitalia in their pants. We're all human, we're all from the same spot in east Africa 200,000 years ago. We're all on the same little blue marble rocketing through space in a sunbeam.

I agree with you that we should raise the bar. I hope we can fulfill MLK Jr's hope of a post-racial society, and MLKIII met with Trump recently stating Trump's desire is unity. And just like I supported Obama in his first few years until his policies didn't work and I felt his opportunities were lost to divisiveness, I hope others will support Trump to see if he can fulfill his goals of improving our economy and security. And when I hear others go beyond the line of decency in their hate towards Trump, I'll pull back my support for them. If they disagree without being obnoxious, then it's a different story.
    It was not my intent to assume you were white (nor was I inferring that I was from a minority group). What i do think this election made clear is that there is a segment of white america, including in the Midwest where I used to live, that doesn't feel they have a voice. They have been beaten up badly by disappearing manufacturing jobs whether through mechanization, technology efficiencies, or outsourcing. I realize I'm lucky to live in an area and work in a field where I have the opportunity to transition between jobs fairly smoothly, but having spent time in Michigan many folks don't. So when they lose their jobs the pain is significant, and some folks, in there attempt to make sense of it all, may find appealing the words of someone like Trump promising to bring jobs back, or, more problematically to me, blaming "the others" for their current situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    come on man

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On your first link, I asked for campaign promises, and that's just a litany of supposed misogynistic things Trump has done in the past. It has nothing to do with the campaign. I certainly think Trump has been a womanizer, but I don't see any evidence that he is anti-woman. And I find it odd that Bill Clinton actually raped a woman, but liberal / democrat seems to mind. That makes me question the real concern liberals / democrats have about Trump when the alternative was a woman married to a rapist.

For your xenophobia list, that all comes down to whether or not enforcing immigration laws is xenophobic. I don't. Millions upon millions of others don't either. We just want to know who comes in and who they are.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was not my intent to assume you were white (nor was I inferring that I was from a minority group). What do think this election made clear is that there is a segment of white america, including in the Midwest where I used to live, that doesn't feel they have a voice. They have been beaten up badly by disappearing manufacturing jobs whether through mechanization, technology efficiencies, or outsourcing. I realize I'm lucky to live in an area and work in a field where I have the opportunity to transition between jobs fairly smoothly, but having spent time in Michigan many folks don't. So when they lose their jobs the pain is significant, and some folks, in there attempt to make sense of it all, may find appealing the words of someone like Trump promising to bring jobs back, or, more problematically to me, blaming "the others" for their current situation.
    I think it's more economical than related to race at all. The middle class and blue collar workers everywhere have been getting hosed by various policies and I think they voted to save their livelihoods. I also watched a video by Dr. Michio Kaku not long ago about how a technological paradigm shift had resulted in political upheaval against the establishment - I think that's definitely worth a watch as well.

Hey, good insight and I'm glad I had the chance to speak with you today. Best regards!

Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've already pointed out how he disrespected the office. He said we cannot believe anything the president of the United States says. And he knows he shouldn't say that - that's why he prefaced it with a logical fallacy to excuse it. Imagine that Trump finds out we're under imminent attack... if he informs the public, according to Pop we can't believe that. It's dangerous, it's wrong, it crosses a line.
    He was lamenting the fact that we have a president we can no longer consistently believe (a fact borne out by Trump's egregious lack of honesty — on display even yesterday, his first full day in office). Pop never denigrated the office of the presidency; he pointed out that the president himself is more-than-frequently dishonest — a true statement — which makes it impossible to take what he says at face value without understanding that there's a fairly significant chance that the president is lying to serve his own wealth-and-power-focused agenda.

And ESPN would always be the worldwide leader in sports... and the NFL's ratings would never go down... and... and... and...
    So you're just going to ignore everything I said because it makes you uncomfortable. You're going to ignore the fact that cord cutting is the reason for ESPN's decline and not political vendettas against athlete activism. I think I understand why you voted for Trump.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you post massive links, and I type all my responses, gimme at least 5 minutes. Some of us have thoughts bigger than CTRL+V.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Respect the president!"

Coming from a person who voted for a man who started the birther movement.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can the MODs just ban this got? I seriously never even knew this account existed before today.
    mods

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coming from someone who didn't like either candidate but think people are seriously overreacting to the result (this is what happens when everyone gets participation trophies - can't stand losing)...

Pop is one of the few celebrities who takes a cerebral and thought out stance against Trump and is honestly one of his best foils. Agree with him or not, you should respect him. The other brain dead celebrities? Not.

Would actually be hilarious to see him drafted against Trump in the 2020 election. That would solve the problem for all the people on this board who complain about too much Parker, too little Kawhi, etc.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    So many of those are complete reaches. Unsubstantiated claims from salty former employees, buying a beauty pageant being called "mysogynistic," acknowledging the existence of gold diggers (which we all know exist) - , even a heterosexual male answering a question about women he'd like to sleep with is "sexist" and "outrageous" according to this article. I can only imagine the bitter spinster who wrote this crap.

"Opposing open borders and illegal immigration is xenophobic!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you post massive links, and I type all my responses, gimme at least 5 minutes. Some of us have thoughts bigger than CTRL+V.
    its not new information. You should already know most of it.

Thread Information