San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sekou Doumbouya

Position: SF/PF
    Height: 6-foot-9
    Weight: 230
    Wingspan: 6-foot-11
    Draft Range: 8 to 20

Why: Perfectly built for today's NBA: tall, long, muscular frame with ample athleticism. He's fluid with quick feet and impressive coordination for an 18-year-old. While he's still extremely raw, he flashes an enticing amount of scoring ability, compe iveness and assertiveness. His outside shot isn't yet mastered but his standstill jumper is mechanically sound. All in all, it's intriguing that he's already this good despite playing the game for only six years.

Why Not: So far, it's unclear if PF or SF is his long-term position. If he's a future PF, his upside wouldn't be nearly as high. He's a good but not great athlete: not quick off his feet, not overly fast and sometimes has robotic movements. Defensively, while he can certainly wreak havoc at times due to his length, he'd need to start from scratch to learn the fundamentals. Offensively, his decision-making is shaky at best and he can disappear for stretches.

Spurs Fit: He'd have to buy a home in Austin. The goal would be to mold him into a SF eventually.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Mike Mitc

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Pops Mensah-Bonsu

Europe Stats
    Highlight Video
    Tankathon Profile
    BSO Profile

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've yet to fall for him as a prospect. I could understand PATFO taking him at 19 with the idea that he's two years away and then taking a more NBA-ready guy at 29. I'm just not getting a good feeling from what I read about him. Just seems like a dude folks will fall in love with and defend for years despite him not playing well. I'd need to see that he can have success at lower levels before believing he can get better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easy pass on this guy. Ive seen him play and a lot of his weakness seem to be instinctinve and his shot and general offense is pretty questionable even among his peers.

He's got a pretty mechanical shot and its ok when wide open, but theres very little room of improvement in that end. Most guys who shoot like him end up becoming average to below average shooters in the league.

If he is still around in the 2nd round..maybe? But thats unlikely. At his age though..you wont see a minute of him until he is 23.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pops Mensah-Bonsu
    That's his floor!! Do it RC. Now if only we can find a James White! clone.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At one point I was seeing projections that he would be available at 29, which I would have no problem with. Now that he appears likely to go in the teens think there will be better options especially since I think he ultimately ends up a PF based on fluidity or lack thereof of his movements defensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sekou Doumbouya

Position: SF/PF
    Height: 6-foot-9
    Weight: 230
    Wingspan: 6-foot-11
    Draft Range: 8 to 20

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Mike Mitc
    Since the Greek Freak never played for the Spurs, its tough to find a Spurs comparator.

This could be the guy to take if he falls because he may have the most potential of anyone who could slip to 19 (although he likely won't).

There's even a YouTube video en led "San Antonio Spurs Greatest Draft Project Sekou Doumbouya - Giannis Antetokounmpo 2.0?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    future spur

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    High ceiling/low floor guy, reminds me Aaron Gordon coming out of Arizona...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since the Greek Freak never played for the Spurs, its tough to find a Spurs comparator.

This could be the guy to take if he falls because he may have the most potential of anyone who could slip to 19 (although he likely won't).

There's even a YouTube video en led "San Antonio Spurs Greatest Draft Project Sekou Doumbouya - Giannis Antetokounmpo 2.0?"

He's not even in the same conversation as the Greek Freak. He's two inches shorter, his wingspan is four inches shorter, and he lacks the freakish athleticism of the GF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not even in the same conversation as the Greek Freak. He's two inches shorter, his wingspan is four inches shorter, and he lacks the freakish athleticism of the GF.
    I think they were the same size at 18 -- remember, as the video points out, the Greek Freak grew an inch his rookie year.

Guess we'll just have to wait a few weeks to see where he goes and then wait a few years to see how far he goes.

I just have the same feeling about him I had about Kawhi Leonard and DJ Murray at this stage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he is their at 19 I could see us maybe drafting him. I wonder if he would try and force his way to the NBA as soon as possible though. He might turn out better if he does come straight over and get run in the development league instead of playing overseas.

He is a very interesting prospect and like many players outside the top 5, the combine could really help his draft stock soar or drop a bit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm all for him at 19 tbh. He's got all the physical tools and if he's selected that means the FO thinks they can turn him into a 3.

Whomever the Spurs select will be buried in Austin anyways despite what the Suckers think, might as well get a guy that might end up being a monster in 2 years.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he is able to improve his quickness and becomes a bit more athletic as he matures, then he definitely has a high ceiling, but after watching some videos I saw more roadblocks to him reaching that ceiling.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got into INSEP, which he really needed to develop - but he got kicked out for disciplinary reasons.

He turned pro and did okay in his first season (considering his age), but didn't really improve in his second season. There's some grumbling that he's not very coachable.

He's got some athleticism, but not freakishly so. He's got some natural athletic ability, but hasn't done a great deal to improve it. He's 18, and looking to get paid. I hope he does get paid - just not by the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got into INSEP, which he really needed to develop - but he got kicked out for disciplinary reasons.

He turned pro and did okay in his first season (considering his age), but didn't really improve in his second season. There's some grumbling that he's not very coachable.

He's got some athleticism, but not freakishly so. He's got some natural athletic ability, but hasn't done a great deal to improve it. He's 18, and looking to get paid. I hope he does get paid - just not by the Spurs.
    Yeah, those would be red flags for the organization...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, those would be red flags for the organization...
    Hopefully, teams 1 through 18 will also see those "red flags." (But I doubt it.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I kinda see some Stephen Jackson in his game, I definitely wouldn’t mind him at 19, could see the Celtics selecting him with their 14th pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully, teams 1 through 18 will also see those "red flags." (But I doubt it.)

You said that you have the same feeling about him that you had about Kawhi. Is that just a hunch?

Kawhi was a notorious gym rat - Doumbouya isn't. Really the only knock on Kawhi was that he wasn't much of a shooter from the perimeter - but he was obviously an amazing and committed defender.

I'm just curious what it is that makes you think he's got Kawhi-level potential.
    I see him developing a lot more like Frank Ntilikina than Kawhi Leonard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just curious what it is that makes you think he's got Kawhi-level potential.
    I see him developing a lot more like Frank Ntilikina than Kawhi Leonard.
    Because he might be drafted by the Spurs.

If Kawhi was drafted by another outfit, he wouldn't be Kawhi.

If Batum was drafted by the Spurs, he would be a different (more prominent) NBA player.

If Diaw had been originally drafted by the Spurs, his career would have had a different trajectory.

Sekou Doumbouya has that same feeling.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't LJC be a more appropriate floor? There's a lot of parallels there, no?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't LJC be a more appropriate floor? There's a lot of parallels there, no?
    No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If Batum was drafted by the Spurs, he would be a different (more prominent) NBA player.

If Diaw had been originally drafted by the Spurs, his career would have had a different trajectory.

I've often thought that would have ended badly. Boris came late to the Spurs as a FA in a supporting role, but I don't think 2003 Pop would have put up with his laissez-faire at ude, and he would have likely been traded or not had his option picked up.

I think that at ude and engagement are things that are either a part of you, or not, and that they can't be taught.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I can live with that. I don't know if he's got the drive, commitment, smarts, etc. to turn into that kind of a player. He's going to need all that to even approach the kind of ceiling people are giving him credit for. But if the Spurs draft him, we'll have an answer to that. They won't bank on raw potential without having a good idea that he's got the worth ethic to develop it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah no matter how talented if they have work ethic or at ude issues Spurs will not touch them
    and rightly so.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's closer to Livio than he is Giannis.

Thread Information