Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will be the undisputed team leader now that the vets are out of the way. I look to see his leadership qualities to become more apparent and for him to become more comfortable being a floor general.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a big question mark with the higher usage, he might shock us and take a leap or burst in flames. First and foremost he needs to be a consistent terror on the defensive end, be more consistent there, we know he's good but some times he took plays off.
    I'm always a defense first guy and as the others said obviously as a pg it's always decision making and outside shot and finish strong at the rim because he did have some trouble finishing strong

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was absolutely terrible in summer league as a rookie, he showed flashes of promise but he was so raw and this kid has continuously improved his game each year, he missed an entire season and they always say the next year after the injury you're still not 100% until the second year after the injury. This season will be his second full season in legit game condition since his ACL injury and still is only 24. this was his first season ever averaging over 30 MPG. Strictly PPG since he's been in 3.4, 8.1, 10.9, 15.7. Thats a beautiful trajectory tbh by the time DJ is 27 he's going to be an absolute stud imo. Probably wont be on the Spurs by then though lmao
    Last edited by emanueldavidginobili; 08-06-2021 at 12:23 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As Chinook said, we need to see an improvement on off ball catch and shoot. The big problem with Demar wasn't his mid range game, it was that he was atrocious off the ball and provided absolutely nothing. If Murray can be a threat off ball, it really helps this team work more cohesively on the offensive end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course Demar leaving will absolutely pay dividends for DWhite/DJ/Lonnie tbh. The major concern is whether that Bryn being back will screw things up. With the old man at the helm, that's definitely a real worry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better be shooting like 1000 threes a day. That would elevate him from "good role player" to possible All-Star level.

Also needs to be running some fast break drills and realize there are other options than "run fast and attack the basket yourself"

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets hope Primo stays healthy, shows passing promise that the coaches are salivating over, and pushes DJM to improve. Primo may only be on the Toros this year, I get that, but I think the pressure to adapt will have to be from compe ion because the coaches haven’t found a way to get DJM to play as a true floor general. Yes, he HAS made progress and maybe it will be a slow improvement. But I don’t see him making that his #1 priority, but I’m happy to be proven wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3pt percentage
    FT attempts, finishing strong with contact
    less gamble on getting steals, but stronger body to hold position

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has a modern nba team around him now so I expect most improved player level of production from him this year.

Dejounte's main problem has always been this roster. As it gets modernized he will get better. Not sure he will ever make an all star game but he has all star potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is a scoring guard. When Primo is ready, Murray will be our Jamaal Crawford.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As Chinook said, we need to see an improvement on off ball catch and shoot. The big problem with Demar wasn't his mid range game, it was that he was atrocious off the ball and provided absolutely nothing. If Murray can be a threat off ball, it really helps this team work more cohesively on the offensive end.
    Fabulous.
    Where are these "off ball" passes going to come from?
    Because the last 4 years coach Numb Nutts has had him on the floor with Patty or Bryn (or both!) often at the same time. Other ty passers like LMA.
    He's had to be forced into point guard on O while covering for both cones on D. Whomever was guarding one of the cones could simply cheat over oh help D, thus DJM rarely got to break a few steps and get to a good catch n shoot space.

DJ is fabulous in transition when paired with other fabulous transition players, ie DWhite and KJ.
    More catch n shoot from competent passers + more fast break transition possessions......
    Ya, I'm all for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll mention an area where I'd really like to see improvement that hasn't been mentioned yet: I want to see him get better at getting the ball to his teammates in "their spots". His lacking in this area was, for example, painfully obvious when he played with LMA, where he struggled to even make the most basic non-telegraphed entry pass to him on the post for LMA's patented ISO jumper move. He's got to learn and recognize his teammates' tendencies and where they're most effective, in order to plan ahead and get them the ball so they can get their shots off with as little effort and time spent as possible.

Two examples that come to mind and will happen a lot next season are White's perimeter shooting and Keldon's driving game. Last season, in the little time White played (I also thought this during the Bubble, but that was kind of long ago now), I thought he was spending too much effort dribbling and trying to get himself open to shoot 3's the team sorely needed. It's not very time-and-energy efficient for White to do all that work, only to end up with a half-contested look, when it should be DJ, as the nominal PG, leveraging his driving gravity into getting White open (and actually passing him the ball when he is!) and getting him looks. For Keldon it's the same - I want to see less Keldon driving teeth-first into the defense (which is not to say I want to see less Keldon ball-handling; he should just be looking to create more from the perimeter next season IMO), and more Keldon finding his spots, getting position on the high or low post for example, and then receiving passes by DJ for the easy scores. Keldon can score over practically anyone, we've seen this, but his body will thank him a lot in the long run if he's not bumping and driving into 3 players every single time.

All the areas everyone's mentioned for him to get better are good and fair, but I'm specifically interested in this one because it requires both 1. Better IQ and anticipation skills from Murray, and 2. A more assertive at ude and actual "PG Role" by DJ in terms of feeling that he's the one that gets his teammates going. Last season, he far too often took to himself the personal task of scoring, to much success on his midrange pullups, but that's not a shot that gets the team going - only himself. I don't dislike those shots, but I want to see him leverage that scoring threat into opportunities for his teammates more often.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being Objective and not having access to practice facility I'm going out on a limb n saying who knows. I'll probably know something by late October n get back to u

Thread Information