Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm assuming that chip already knew this in advance (that a new deal could not be hammered out) if he had already put it out there that he would be leaving at the end of his contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he couldn't help T-Mac when we had him, overrated, bye

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I appreciate the consistency of coaches, but wasn’t the big story that he was the first real dedicated shooting coach in the NBA? Parker and Kawhi improved a lot, obviously. And others along the way, but none as accomplished as KL and TP. But, it’s not like Chip was a magic unicorn who had unlocked some secret that nobody else could.

It’s that the Spurs were the first team that hired a guy that specialized in just that. Now, all the teams have dedicated shooting coaches.
    They hired him from Denver, where he was....a shooting coach.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People here made bad assumptions. Wouldn't be the first time.

Bret Brown left for The Process. Mike Bud left for what appeared to be an ATL rebuild, dumping Josh Smith, until he pulled a rabbit out of a hat. Borrego took jobs in Orlando and Charlotte. Not every job is a plum. Some people like a challenge.
    Don’t do it like that!!! Finish him!!!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To cheap to pay Chip

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the end Chip wasn't a culture fit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh no!!!!!

Crowned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand he was an AC. And he was a shooting consultant in Detroit before that. But wasn't the news around him coming to the Spurs was that he was hired solely to focus on shooting development, regardless of what he was called.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the end Chip wasn't a culture fit.
    this is never going to die.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand he was an AC. And he was a shooting consultant in Detroit before that. But wasn't the news around him coming to the Spurs was that he was hired solely to focus on shooting development, regardless of what he was called.
    We hired him away from Denver, not Detroit, and he was a shooting coach there. We broke no new ground hiring him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wojnarowski said it was because they couldn't agree to terms on a new contract.

I don't view this as the catastrophe many do, but for an organization that has seen a mass exodus in recent years and constant hits to their reputation, you'd think if for no other reason than to stem the tide and show the rest of the league they can't just poach whoever, whenever, that they'd have one time not been cheap.
    Maybe OKC offered him a crazy offer. If I was an owner with a rebuilding team I wouldn't spend big money on a shooting coach either tbh.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe OKC offered him a crazy offer. If I was an owner with a rebuilding team I wouldn't spend big money on a shooting coach either tbh.
    That's exactly when you'd want a shooting coach like Chip, when your roster is young players you need to turn into NBA level shooters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is still here and him leaving for another rebuilding team says a lot. Before that people here were assuming he was joining the Warriors or would retire, but of course you sniffers will find another excuse why it's all good
    And what does it really mean? That the team didn't want to raise his already high salary?
    And before you write "that you had to match the offer for the best shooting coach", where did you get that? Can you name 10 other shooting coaches without Google?
    Just another bout of overreaction on the forum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's exactly when you'd want a shooting coach like Chip, when your roster is young players you need to turn into NBA level shooters.
    If OKC made him an offer he couldn't refuse I wouldn't beat it or match it. Why hold him hostage and pay more than market value when the team is going to be lottery bound for the foreseeable future?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the story, it sounds like the Holts got cheap because it mentioned that Engelland and the Spurs couldn't agree on a new contract.... Our owners have got to be one of the stingiest owners in the league, while making us pay out the ass for ticket prices to see the worst team in the league.
    And you, poor devils, are just forcibly forced to go to the stadium, chained to a chair and not allowed to close your eyes, like Alex from "A clockwork range".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for the record, the spurs offer the 5th most affordable tickets in the NBA. they may be 'cheap', but tickets are affordable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Chip's impact is overstated and pretty overrated tbh. We can point at Kawhi but given we know he is a robot I'm sure most of that was due to his own practice and training. Who else has Chip turned into a great shooter since then? Keldon shot well from three his rookie season, don't recall anyone whose shot significantly got better really since Kawhi tbh. I think the impact of a shooting coach is minimal to the team's effectiveness at best

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Chip is moving onto an assistant's role and because he couldn't agree to terms with the Spurs after working for ages...something must be rotten in what was always held as basketball paradise. Wonder what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can add Keldon in there. On his rookie year, I cringed as he hauled 3 pointers almost touching the ceiling but now Spurs highest 3pt knocker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fck em we got Brett Brown back lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Chip's impact is overstated and pretty overrated tbh. We can point at Kawhi but given we know he is a robot I'm sure most of that was due to his own practice and training. Who else has Chip turned into a great shooter since then? Keldon shot well from three his rookie season, don't recall anyone whose shot significantly got better really since Kawhi tbh. I think the impact of a shooting coach is minimal to the team's effectiveness at best
    Dejounte's shot improved significantly, but like you said...it's hard to gauge how much of that is because of Chip and how much was just DJ putting up shots in the gym

Apparently still couldn't teach Poeltl how to shoot a goddamn free throw

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If OKC made him an offer he couldn't refuse I wouldn't beat it or match it. Why hold him hostage and pay more than market value when the team is going to be lottery bound for the foreseeable future?
    The point is to develop the young guys they pick so they're not lottery bound for fifteen years like Sacramento.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Chip is moving onto an assistant's role and because he couldn't agree to terms with the Spurs after working for ages...something must be rotten in what was always held as basketball paradise. Wonder what?
    Wondering if we got some Jim Buss level incompetency in the ownership now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can add Keldon in there. On his rookie year, I cringed as he hauled 3 pointers almost touching the ceiling but now Spurs highest 3pt knocker.
    Except he shot 59% from 3 in his rookie season. small sample size I know but my point was its not like KJ was a bad shooter so we don't really know if Chip impacted keldon at all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haha he probably got paid better away probs not that deep. It happens. Chip or no chip we are still a dumpster fire.

It’s good we don’t have to stomach posts about Chip changing Jak into Jokic and Simmons into Steph any longer.

Thread Information