Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 pointer is just a skill like FT shooting. Either improve on this skill or defend it better. You guys are forgetting Spurs defense during D'Antoni Suns days. Also see how the Lakers defended the 3 in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that after someone dunks, its kinda like a dunk contest. Depending on the difficulty the amount of points you get is up to a panel of judges on the front row. Once a dunk is performed during a game, the 5 judges stand and flash the points they would like to give 1 thru 5. An average tally is then assessed and that amount of points is added to said teams score.

so a standard one handed Lebron dunk gets a 5, while any spur player reverse posterized dunk get a .5? Yeah no lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bingo.

Casuals complained about low scoring games and the NBA worked for decades to increase scoring. They've achieved that goal.

Personally, I miss the NBA where teams could win with defense ... but I can see why a casual fan would prefer today's NBA compared to the mid-90s slugfests
    I've never understood this complaint from people... the most common score in baseball is typically about 5-3, with soccer more like 1-0, hockey at 3-2, and football around 24-21, so it always mystified me why a 95-90 final tally in the NBA would be considered boring & devoid of offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop doesn’t like fancy dunks

I’m also not a big fan of teams chucking 3’s. But in their defense, they have to be really good to make it work, and still play great defense on the other side of the floor. Dubs had one of the best defense and that won them the chapionships and not just 3’s. The Lakers are not just chucking 3’s. They attack you in and out. Granted they have Davis who can knock them from the outside, but who can punish his defender down low. I myself wouldn’t like a fancy dunk just to score 3 or 4 points, and risk catapulting in the grandstand. Imo the best way is to defend 3’s with effective closeouts, big men who can switch adequately and use their length to defend the 3’s, and also knock them when available. Last night Jazz were 21 of 41 attempts. That’s 51%. Bognadovich had 28pts. And a lot of them were open shots, likewise with Wes Matthews the other night. Spurs simply need to play better defense closing out. Granted we didn’t have better interior defense to contain Gorbert that forced the help. Poeltl needs to wake up and do a better job, to minimize help defense leaving their guys. Again it boils down to defense imo.

For me it's not a matter of "can a team win a le that way?". It's more about how redundant everything is now days. Chuck threes while a defender will likely get called for a foul IF they even try to defend. The NBA went way over to the opposite extreme from the post up game. Need to be somewhere in between. Or maybe just ALWAYS officiate games like they do in the playoffs. Everybody loves playoff basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just bring back hand checking. Simple solution. Also get rid of that stupid pick n roll foul move that all the stars seem to get away with now. They are trapping the defenders arm between two people, not being fouled. If anything, it's an offensive foul
    That would do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 pointer is just a skill like FT shooting. Either improve on this skill or defend it better. You guys are forgetting Spurs defense during D'Antoni Suns days. Also see how the Lakers defended the 3 in the playoffs.
    Back when we were dominating Phx they would allow a player to actually be physical. The Lakers last year were allowed to play defense just like everyone else is allowed during the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would they change it?

Shooters gonna shoot.

Game has evolved. Everyone needs to be able to shoot.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what ive noticed is that keldon is the only one that looks comfortable shooting 3s out there.
    Very good observation, this is a big problem for the Spurs imho. Walker has nights where he's letting it fly with visible confidence, and those nights he fills up the statsheet. The rest looks like they're afraid of shooting threes.
    Might be a prisoner of the moment, but they need to get more comfortable firing long balls real quick (next 10 games).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that, we need a 4 pt line further out and a trampoline on top of the key thats worth 3 points. Then various holographic hotspots randomly show up on the court that’s worth 4, 5 and 6 points. What’s the question again?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very good observation, this is a big problem for the Spurs imho. Walker has nights where he's letting it fly with visible confidence, and those nights he fills up the statsheet. The rest looks like they're afraid of shooting threes.
    Might be a prisoner of the moment, but they need to get more comfortable firing long balls real quick (next 10 games).

Ive said it before there is no one on this team that brings their game with them every game (with the exception of keldon for now). Granted it must be tough to do there is a lot of compe ion out there but worst case for a guy if you’re shot is not dropping how about you get stingy on defense at least?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're not gonna "get more comfortable" at it because Pop won't allow it. You think he wouldn't pull the young players if they started firing pull-up 3's in transition like most modern NBA teams do nowadays? Nah. The fact that the Spurs are -bent on archaic offensive sets, even when running a "more free" offense than last year or the other one, is all the evidence you need. Or did you catch Pop making an emphasis that the Spurs gotta shoot more 3's after that embarrassing Jazz loss? No you didn't - even though it was, by far, the main reason we lost.

Having said that, the Spurs catching up with the league's playstyle might make them more unwatchable in my eyes. Modern games are just so boring as a neutral fan, I've been having trouble checking into other teams because it's just 3pt shot after 3pt shot, non stop. You start to not care after a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would they change it?

Shooters gonna shoot.

Game has evolved. Everyone needs to be able to shoot.

Except midrange shots have gone to , noone can hit a mid range anymore. With everyone only shooting and practicing 3's in practice this was bound to happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The charge is literally the last way that the NBA still allows players to D up. I think it’s abolishment would make the nba completely and utterly unwatchable.
    The argument is that it stopped the challenging shots at the rim that was more prevalent in the 90s and 2000s. Also, there's a bit of an injury risk with guards sliding under bigger players as they jump. It's also lead to an increase in flops.

It's an interesting thought though I don't know if it would have a desired affect of promoting less 3pt chucking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they make hand checking great again, wouldn't they take away zone?

Players would literally be left open again when doubles are sent. I don't know if that makes a lot of sense.

Better to just push the line back by at least a foot and have it trail off, toward out of bounds, before it reaches the corners.

No more corner 3s, and there would only probably be enough spacing for three shooters to space behind the line.

it would make it harder to chuck while players with mid range and post games would become more valuable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that, we need a 4 pt line further out and a trampoline on top of the key thats worth 3 points. Then various holographic hotspots randomly show up on the court that’s worth 4, 5 and 6 points. What’s the question again?
    That and collect coins hitting the backboard

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The game is fine. I'd rather see teams shooting a bunch of threes than post-ups and mid-range jumpers.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're not gonna "get more comfortable" at it because Pop won't allow it. You think he wouldn't pull the young players if they started firing pull-up 3's in transition like most modern NBA teams do nowadays? Nah. The fact that the Spurs are -bent on archaic offensive sets, even when running a "more free" offense than last year or the other one, is all the evidence you need. Or did you catch Pop making an emphasis that the Spurs gotta shoot more 3's after that embarrassing Jazz loss? No you didn't - even though it was, by far, the main reason we lost.

Having said that, the Spurs catching up with the league's playstyle might make them more unwatchable in my eyes. Modern games are just so boring as a neutral fan, I've been having trouble checking into other teams because it's just 3pt shot after 3pt shot, non stop. You start to not care after a while.
    I'd agree, Pop wants to see movement before a shot is taken, so he wouldn't be pleased with those walk-up chucks. That doesn't mean guys should not take threes after a pass or two when they are open. For example, I feel like White did this pretty well in the bubble, and Lonnie did it well in Memphis.

And yes, I don't want the Spurs to be a team that does that Bogdanovich did a few times yesterday (walk across the line, no pass, instachuck). But they need to take the open looks generated by ball movement. Not taking those and going for hesistant, half-hearted drives vs Gobert (really?) won't lead us anywhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Casual fans are the NBAs demo. Casuals think shooting an open three is more exciting/difficult than a low post move.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    0-12 ft shots for 1 point, 12-23,9 ft shots for 2 points, 23,9-94 ft for 3 points

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    0-12 ft shots for 1 point, 12-23,9 ft shots for 2 points, 23,9-94 ft for 3 points
    or this will only encourage 3-point chucking. Dumb

0-12 ft shots for 2 points, 12-23,9 ft shots for 2,5 points, 23,9-94 ft for 3 points. That's better. 50% from mid-range worth more then 40% from 3. Good.

Longer distance, more points per shot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Casual fans are the NBAs demo. Casuals think shooting an open three is more exciting/difficult than a low post move.
    Its disgusting how the league has d itself out to casual fans. Never seen another professional sports league bend over backwards for fans who will come and go on a whim.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They were allowed to fire away in the first 2 games with more than 30 3s. I don't think it's pop stopping them shooting, probably they just stop shooting after they missed a few. I saw Lonnie suddenly just stop shooting 3s the past couple of games and try to cut to the basket. I really doubt that is always the play. Do remember that Pop is the guy who starts getting players firing more 3s from the corner a decade ago.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or this will only encourage 3-point chucking. Dumb

0-12 ft shots for 2 points, 12-23,9 ft shots for 2,5 points, 23,9-94 ft for 3 points. That's better. 50% from mid-range worth more then 40% from 3. Good.

Longer distance, more points per shot
    Sorry quote wrongly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are an above average three-point shooting team (through only 5 games they rank 12th overall at 37.2%) but don't shot nearly high enough volume (tied for 3rd worst at 28.7 per game).

Like someone else said, they just don't shot them in early offense like most teams today do. The Spurs try to work to many half court sets and passing up open three-point shots (looking at you, Lonnie) for less efficient mid-range looks or floaters.

Derrick would have helped a lot in this area since he wasn't afraid to "chuck" in the bubble, but his other young teammates are (or mostly drive to the hoop).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd agree, Pop wants to see movement before a shot is taken, so he wouldn't be pleased with those walk-up chucks.
    I'm not sure what 2021 Pop wants, but ball movement and halfcourt sets are definitely not what they're doing. They're near the bottom in passes per game and lead the league in drives by a huge margin. I'm also pretty sure they're bottom in corner 3s. They don't try to run anything in the halfcourt. They're playing summer league basketball with lots of freedom but little structure. I hate it.

And yes, I don't want the Spurs to be a team that does that Bogdanovich did a few times yesterday (walk across the line, no pass, instachuck). But they need to take the open looks generated by ball movement. Not taking those and going for hesistant, half-hearted drives vs Gobert (really?) won't lead us anywhere.
    I agree, they need to get some ball movement going, it can be generated from drives or even Aldridge post-ups when he's back. Just get some structure because right now they're going nowhere. I know Pop got some love this season for having a good rotation but I feel the actual coaching has been missing completely and I don't see how this would help in player development, which should be the most important thing this season.

Thread Information