Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The game of basketball is centered on putting the ball in the hoop. Being below average at shooting is a pretty big deal lol Especially with “today’s NBA” of 3 pointers/offense over everything

You run against Zone Defense or soft man defense and it’s virtually 4 vs 5
    Yes, and he makes that happen with his elite handles, passing and vision. HE doesn’t have to be the one scoring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons is actually awful. What does he even do besides be 6'10" with guard footspeed?

I wouldn't even trade Murray + filler for him at this point.

Neither would I. The 76ers would have to include a first-round draft pick along with Simmons before I’d even consider it.

A few interesting facts:

Simmons’ turnover percentage last year was worse than Jeff Ayres during his last season with the Spurs. If you liked Jeff “Errors” you’ll love Simmons. (Simmons had twice the TOV% of Murray.)

Dejounte Murray is a better defensive rebounder than Simmons, despite Simmons’ height advantage. Simmons got more offensive rebounds, probably from being in good position to snag his own missed layups.

Poeltl is a better shooter than Simmons. They have the same range, and Poeltl hits a higher percentage.

In assists last season, Simmons was no better than DeMar DeRozan. Both had 6.9 per game.

The Spurs fans who want Simmons are like teenage girls swooning over the latest teen heartthrob. Ooooh, he’s so famous!!! xoxox. !!!

Mediocre at assists, a lazy rebounder, awful for turnovers, and hopelessly broken shooting, at $30 M per year.

Pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would all depend on the conversations that are happening with his agent but, this seems obvious to me. I doubt Spurs trade away all their young culture guys for a guy that makes $40M/yr and would likely bounce after his contract or want a trade after.
    this is exactly where i'm at. develop these kids for 5 years, and then package them and trade em for another player that doesn't want to be here.

after we just had that with Kawhi, DeRozan and Aldridge. no thanks

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The game of basketball is centered on putting the ball in the hoop. Being below average at shooting is a pretty big deal lol Especially with “today’s NBA” of 3 pointers/offense over everything

You run against Zone Defense or soft man defense and it’s virtually 4 vs 5
    Except that there are a lot of ways to put the ball in the basket and Simmons is elite in some of those ways. And the Greek Freak is a below average shooter from outside, especially 3 pointers and he did pretty well last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’d have the best player in the league, a 6’11” Kawhi.
    cmon that's bluster. you really would want this guy, and to lose a devoted spurs soldier dejounte and who knows what else to obtain him? he is a beta. he belongs on the Twolves or some other bball pit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really don’t understand basketball at all. He’s elite defensively, top to bottom. Finished second in the DPOY vote this year. He’s also a top notch finisher with elite court vision and passing. There’s literally one thing he does at a below average level: shooting.
    Yes, elite at passing, finishing, running a transition offense and outstanding perimeter defender who can defend 1 to 4 plus wont back down against a less hefty 5 either. Its a no brainer if the Spurs can get him for a package with Murray in it. My only issue with him is that he is not just a poor shooter; he seems to have an offhand shooting problem. He would have to reinvent his shooting from scratch, which I guess has been done before, but would require full commitment. Chip is a miracle worker, but miracles are rare.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, elite at passing, finishing, running a transition offense and outstanding perimeter defender who can defend 1 to 4 plus wont back down against a less hefty 5 either. Its a no brainer if the Spurs can get him for a package with Murray in it. My only issue with him is that he is not just a poor shooter; he seems to have an offhand shooting problem. He would have to reinvent his shooting from scratch, which I guess has been done before, but would require full commitment. Chip is a miracle worker, but miracles are rare.
    He should do what Tristan Thompson did when he got to the NBA: switch shooting hands. He’s naturally right handed, but his father thought it would be an advantage for him to shoot left handed. Didn’t work out that way.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if the most attractive offer to Morey is not three or four firsts for Simmons---with little concern for the players coming to him--unless he's getting Lillard or Beal back in return. The reason is that Lillard or Beal are his targets. If he takes back picks, he can move those picks plus player assets for one of Beal and Lillard when they come onto the market. If he takes back players, then Portland or Washington would 1) have to like those players 2) have to wait until they're trade eligible.

To my mind, this means there is a chance Spurs will move Young and Poeltl for protected firsts that go to Philly along with one or two other SA picks but none of our young core. So a final trade four firsts and players from a third and fourth team to Philly & Simmons to San Antonio.

If the Spurs really are trying to put a solid postseason run together for Popovich, they'd want to keep Murray and Walker to play alongside Simmons. They wouldn't make a semi-lateral move.

This is all makes a trade very unlikely, but the Spurs should force Philly to choose. Either Philly gets a couple young players (Murray, Walker) with limited draft compensation or rich draft compensation and none of their young core. Philly really can't expect both. If Philly insists on both, the Spurs should walk away from the table.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should do what Tristan Thompson did when he got to the NBA: switch shooting hands. He’s naturally right handed, but his father thought it would be an advantage for him to shoot left handed. Didn’t work out that way.
    The trouble is if that was the issue, he should have sorted that out long way ago. The concerns being raised about him were the same that were raised during the Raptors series a couple of years back too. He hasn't changed at all on the offense end. He has become a more savvy defender and an absolute beast on that end, but on offense, he has remained the same or stagnated. That is the major worry with him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if the most attractive offer to Morey is not three or four firsts for Simmons---with little concern for the players coming to him--unless he's getting Lillard or Beal back in return. The reason is that Lillard or Beal are his targets. If he takes back picks, he can move those picks plus player assets for one of Beal and Lillard when they come onto the market. If he takes back players, then Portland or Washington would 1) have to like those players 2) have to wait until they're trade eligible.

To my mind, this means there is a chance Spurs will move Young and Poeltl for protected firsts that go to Philly along with one or two other SA picks but none of our young core. So a final trade four firsts and players from a third and fourth team to Philly & Simmons to San Antonio.

If the Spurs really are trying to put a solid postseason run together for Popovich, they'd want to keep Murray and Walker to play alongside Simmons. They wouldn't make a semi-lateral move.

This is all makes a trade very unlikely, but the Spurs should force Philly to choose. Either Philly gets a couple young players (Murray, Walker) with limited draft compensation or rich draft compensation and none of their young core. Philly really can't expect both. If Philly insists on both, the Spurs should walk away from the table.
    Spurs aren’t going to hang themselves out to dry like that. They will have at least a workable roster if this trade doesn’t go through. Philly will either take our players/picks offer, or they won’t. If players need to go to other teams, those teams become part of the trade. You don’t make a trade, hoping that another specific trade happens afterwards.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs aren’t going to hang themselves out to dry like that. They will have at least a workable roster if this trade doesn’t go through. Philly will either take our players/picks offer, or they won’t. If players need to go to other teams, those teams become part of the trade. You don’t make a trade, hoping that another specific trade happens afterwards.
    How does this represent hanging themselves out to dry? Most of the picks being sent in this scenario are not SA's and they don't give up any significant player assets. And teams trade for picks all the time in order to stockpile for specific players when they come available. Picks are the highest form of currency for tier 1 AND tier 2 players. Teams ac ulate picks over time for these trades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't know where you get the idea Philadelphia can get three or four firsts for Ben Simmons.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons in the Diaw role of the beautiful game would make some sense. But not if we trade all our shooters and slashers for him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons in the Diaw role of the beautiful game would make some sense. But not if we trade all our shooters and slashers for him.

This exactly.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know where you get the idea Philadelphia can get three or four firsts for Ben Simmons.
    It seems that Morey has created a little bit of an auction market for Simmons, with four or more teams bidding. I'd guess this nets a solid young rotation player and two firsts or three firsts without a young rotation player. I can see why teams would feel that is too high. But I'm betting the final haul comes in around that price. Morey will hold out a little longer to try to drive the price up, but it will settle somewhere in that range.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They want a star now to pair with Embiid, who being a large guy with a hx of injuries, is on a short time frame. They need to compete now. Of course Morey would like picks too, but he would probably trade those to get players now. That’s my guess. Spurs would have to be part of a multi team deal most likely for this to happen. I imagine it’s a complicated scenario, especially for a risk adverse franchise.

Simmons has flaws but despite his choking would still be the leader on our team. SA will miss not having DDR’s alpha qualities. Not saying we need him the player, but he helped keep the team in line. Would Simmons provide that? More likely by default than any great contribution in the locker room on his part.

Anyway, it’s not an easy decision because we’d have to overpay. , we overpaid for McD and Zollins. For me, I love Dejounte in theory but feel like that situation could easily explode. Spurs should not keep dangling him in trade scenarios unless they’re actually going to move him.

Random thoughts...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan is not here to coach it either so.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems that Morey has created a little bit of an auction market for Simmons, with four or more teams bidding. I'd guess this nets a solid young rotation player and two firsts or three firsts without a young rotation player. I can see why teams would feel that is too high. But I'm betting the final haul comes in around that price. Morey will hold out a little longer to try to drive the price up, but it will settle somewhere in that range.
    No, he failed to create a market. You're completely misreading the situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
    Reminded me of this quote:

"Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This whole thing stinks like trying to free up space to add one of the Morris brothers. I just think that for a team so bent on "culture" bringing in one of the league's top prima donnas makes little sense. I'm sure the teams bidding on Simmons probably think the shortcomings in his game can be corrected, which is probably true, but I don't think there's a cure for what's going on between his ears.

Simmons would be a good add-on for a super team where he is no higher than 3rd on the totem pole. Ask him to be more than that and you'll be disappointed I think. And the sad part for Simmons is that he expects to be more than that even though he's got serious holes in his game and his psyche.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They want a star now to pair with Embiid, who being a large guy with a hx of injuries, is on a short time frame. They need to compete now. Of course Morey would like picks too, but he would probably trade those to get players now. That’s my guess. Spurs would have to be part of a multi team deal most likely for this to happen. I imagine it’s a complicated scenario, especially for a risk adverse franchise.

Simmons has flaws but despite his choking would still be the leader on our team. SA will miss not having DDR’s alpha qualities. Not saying we need him the player, but he helped keep the team in line. Would Simmons provide that? More likely by default than any great contribution in the locker room on his part.

Anyway, it’s not an easy decision because we’d have to overpay. , we overpaid for McD and Zollins. For me, I love Dejounte in theory but feel like that situation could easily explode. Spurs should not keep dangling him in trade scenarios unless they’re actually going to move him.

Random thoughts...
    No one is trading a star for a broken star. Morey wanting something =/= Moreygetting that thing. He has multiple teams, but each and every one of them know his position is weak. His player wants out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reminded me of this quote:

"Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"!

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is trading a star for a broken star. Morey wanting something =/= Moreygetting that thing. He has multiple teams, but each and every one of them know his position is weak. His player wants out.
    We traded a star for a broken star. Not everything is logical. Lots of factors in trades. But big picture, I’m discussing what I think Morey wants and not what I think is going to happen. This is a complicated situation with Simmons and likely we won’t be involved or even indirectly involved. But we’ll see.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We traded a star for a broken star. Not everything is logical. Lots of factors in trades. But big picture, I’m discussing what I think Morey wants and not what I think is going to happen. This is a complicated situation with Simmons and likely we won’t be involved or even indirectly involved. But we’ll see.
    Yes, but our star wanted out and everyone knew it...in this scenario the broken star wants out and everyone knows it..

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither would I. The 76ers would have to include a first-round draft pick along with Simmons before I’d even consider it.

A few interesting facts:

Simmons’ turnover percentage last year was worse than Jeff Ayres during his last season with the Spurs. If you liked Jeff “Errors” you’ll love Simmons. (Simmons had twice the TOV% of Murray.)

Dejounte Murray is a better defensive rebounder than Simmons, despite Simmons’ height advantage. Simmons got more offensive rebounds, probably from being in good position to snag his own missed layups.

Poeltl is a better shooter than Simmons. They have the same range, and Poeltl hits a higher percentage.

In assists last season, Simmons was no better than DeMar DeRozan. Both had 6.9 per game.

The Spurs fans who want Simmons are like teenage girls swooning over the latest teen heartthrob. Ooooh, he’s so famous!!! xoxox. !!!

Mediocre at assists, a lazy rebounder, awful for turnovers, and hopelessly broken shooting, at $30 M per year.

Pass.

Simmons had a down year last year ... but here is how his stats last year would rank on the Spurs last year:

points per game 4th
    rebounds pg 2nd
    assists pg tied 1st
    vorp 2nd
    bpm 3rd
    dws 1st
    ows 2nd
    ws 2nd
    ftms 2nd

again i think many here are undervaluing simmons, but more egregiously are overvaluing our ty spurs

Thread Information