Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Police uncover ‘possible plot’ by militia to breach Capitol

WASHINGTON (AP) — Capitol Police say they have uncovered intelligence of a “possible plot” by a militia group to breach the U.S. Capitol on Thursday, nearly two months after a mob of supporters of then-President Donald Trump stormed the iconic building to try to stop Congress from certifying now-President Joe Biden’s victory.

The threat appears to be connected to a far-right conspiracy theory, mainly promoted by supporters of QAnon, that Trump will rise again to power on March 4. That was the original presidential inauguration day until 1933, when it was moved to Jan. 20.

The announcement comes as the Capitol police and other law enforcement agencies are taking heat from Congress in contentious hearings this week on their handling of the Jan. 6 riot. Police were ill prepared for the mass of Trump supporters in tactical gear, some armed, and it took hours for National Guard reinforcements to come. By then, rioters had broken and smashed their way into the building and roamed the halls for hours, stalling Congress’ certification effort temporarily and sending lawmakers into hiding.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...breach-capitol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bet nothing happens

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bet nothing happens
    they called off voting, that's not nothing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read the whirlwind

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This Time ... mow down the mofos

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expect moar coping threads after March 4, 2021 from derp as he will be extra depressed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Police good now

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, but it would nice to see them treat your side like they do poc’s

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    And walls and guns good now.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you guys are at least no longer pretending to care about the cons ution.

what’s it like to be so intellectually re ed, you have to have others think for you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eyup. Any violence is good for board cons.

I no longer question where they got the concentration camp guards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bet nothing happens
    They catch a lot of these before they happen. Like most people attracted to violence and terrorism, they tend not to be very smart about it.

Right-wing terrorism is the biggest threat to U.S. and Europe. Why has it gone unnoticed?

LONDON — The threat of terrorism — particularly from the far right — should be a major concern for governments on both sides of the Atlantic as coronavirus restrictions continue to ease, according to multiple experts and former law enforcement officials who have experience monitoring violent extremist activity.

High unemployment levels due to the pandemic, poor economic prospects and the spread of disinformation through the internet and social media could accelerate radicalization, they said.

And after a major drive by law enforcement agencies to disrupt the organizing potential of violent Islamist movements in the United States and in Europe, where hundreds of people have returned from the battlefields in Iraq and Syria, recent analysis suggests far-right groups now pose the most significant threat to public safety.

"We see an increasing percentage of plots and attacks in the United States shifting over the past couple of years from jihadist motivations, increasingly, to far-right activity," said Seth Jones, who directs the Transnational Threats Project at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington, D.C., think tank.

Jones defined right-wing extremists as "sub-national or non-state en ies" with goals that could include ethnic or racial supremacy. They can also be marked by anger against specific policies like abortion rights and government authority, as well as hatred toward women, or they may be members of the "involuntary celibate," or "incel," movement.

A report he co-authored recorded 14 terrorist incidents, including attacks and disrupted plots, from Jan. 1 to May 8. Thirteen of them were classified as right-wing, and the other was recorded as being religiously motivated in the context of jihadism.

a group of people in military uniform standing in front of a crowd: Image: Boogaloo Movement (Michael Dwyer / AP file)© Michael Dwyer Image: Boogaloo Movement (Michael Dwyer / AP file)
    The report found that the comparable figure for right-wing attacks and plots in 2019 was a little more than 60 percent, which itself was the highest level of such activity since 1995, the year of the Oklahoma City bombing of a federal building, which killed 168 people. And in both 2018 and 2019, right-wing attackers caused more than 90 percent of the terrorism-related deaths in the United States.

Jones said the threat of terrorism had probably increased in the U.S. during the COVID-19 pandemic because of the combined activities of those opposed to lockdowns and other restrictions, anti-federal militia members and their backers, and far-right activists energized by the country's polarized politics or angered by the Black Lives Matter movement.

The highest-profile recent attacks came in late May and early June, when California police officers and security personnel were ambushed in separate attacks, leaving two people dead and three others injured. The FBI said one of the suspects who was arrested was associated with a loosely organized far-right "Boogaloo" movement.

Video: Thousands of Israelis protest Netanyahu's handling of the coronavirus (NBC News)

Play Video
    Thousands of Israelis protest Netanyahu's handling of the coronavirus
    "There is a growing trend of right-wing extremism in the U.K., but it is not as significant as the rising right-wing extremism in America," said retired Maj. Gen. Clive Chapman, the former head of counterterrorism for Britain's Defense Ministry.

He said that, in the almost two decades since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on New York and Washington, D.C., more Americans — 335, according to data compiled by the Center for Strategic and International Studies — have been killed by adherents of a form of right-wing extremism than any other terrorist ideology.

He said terrorists need more than just an ideology to act — they often nurse grievances of some kind and typically have encountered what he termed a "recruitment environment." That could be a social activity in a real-life community, he said, or it could be online.

But Thomas Hegghammer, a senior research fellow at the Norwegian Defence Research Establishment in Oslo, said that while the recent shift to far-right terrorist activity has not passed unnoticed by law enforcement internationally, the kind of websites that might radicalize right-wing actors have been subject to far less scrutiny than has been accorded to the equivalent jihadist literature.

"The threat hasn't been perceived as sufficiently severe," he said. "To put it bluntly, there hasn't been enough mass casualty terrorism from the far right for Western governments to put the full weight of their intelligence apparatus into this."

Play Video
    Europe’s neo-Nazis: Are they taking cues from America’s Commander-in-Chief?
    The limited censorship and law enforcement surveillance of "hard-core far-right extremist propaganda" on the internet has made it easier for users to access such material without inviting attention from government intelligence agencies, Hegghammer said — at least for now.

Meanwhile, the clampdown on online jihadist activity has significantly affected the ability of organizations like the Islamic State militant group to reach new audiences online and to recruit adherents, he said. After a spate of high-profile attacks in Brussels, Paris and London several years ago, the frequency of such incidents has fallen recently.

"In a sense, we've kind of taken away their communication platform. And now the coronavirus is taking away the analogue 'in real life' platform," together with the media attention that Hegghammer described as the "lifeblood" of modern jihadist terrorist attacks.

"The net effect of the corona crisis is negative for the militants, for the radicals," he said. "I would be kind of frustrated if I were a jihadi strategist in this time. And I would be looking forward to the post-corona era."

Download the NBC News app for breaking news and alerts

Internet activity may have ed during the lockdowns among would-be jihadists who are no longer interacting with people in person and who may have struggled to get involved in Islamic extremist networks in the past. But that now comes with clear pitfalls because of the heightened surveillance, said Raffaello Pantucci, a senior associate fellow at the Royal United Services Ins ute, a British think thank.

In a video call from Singapore, he pointed to a Moroccan man who was arrested in Spain last month after authorities observed what they described as his constant activity on social media and his anonymized access to radical jihadist content.

He was suspected of disseminating "jihadist terrorist propaganda" through the internet, according to a Europol notice published shortly after his arrest, "and demonstrated a full adherence to the postulates of terrorist groups, fully justifying their violent actions."

Pantucci said of the man's self-radicalization: "It seemed to be very linked to the fact that he was locked in because of coronavirus. Those kinds of cases, I think, are going to be ones that we're going to see more problems with going forward."
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ri...ed/ar-BB17eueQ

Do you think right-wing terrorism is an ongoing problem?

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Hopefully we see a few more Ashli Babbitts tbh

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope all the capital they're laundering is safe.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope all the capital they're laundering is safe.
    Do you visit sites that discuss actions against elected officials?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the US government worth protecting?

Answer honestly. My answer would be yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dirks_Finale: you don't have a problem with using walls and guns to protect the US government, do you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone at all can weigh in on why we turned Washington DC into a open air fortress and what it means going forward.

to me it means that a civil war was started by Trumpist assholes on Jan. 6 and our Capitol is still under threat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They catch a lot of these before they happen. Like most people attracted to violence and terrorism, they tend not to be very smart about it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ri...ed/ar-BB17eueQ

Do you think right-wing terrorism is an ongoing problem?
    FBI's first "pre-crime" arrest and indefinite incarceration is of a leftist

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Dirks_Finale: you don't have a problem with using walls and guns to protect the US government, do you?
    Not at all. But secure the border as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone at all can weigh in on why we turned Washington DC into a open air fortress and what it means going forward.

to me it means that a civil war was started by Trumpist assholes on Jan. 6 and our Capitol is still under threat.
    Its just a show. The Jan 6 up was 100% on security forces. Now of course they gotta go to the extreme to show they care and also to help the case vs Dump and his re s.

Do u really believe Capitol is now in danger of falling?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What makes you think that isn't the case, did Trump leave the border insecure?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Secure it from what? All the rapists?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its just a show. The Jan 6 up was 100% on security forces. Now of course they gotta go to the extreme to show they care and also to help the case vs Dump and his re s.

Do u really believe Capitol is now in danger of falling?
    Falling, no.

Getting attacked again, yes.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    What makes you think that isn't the case, did Trump leave the border insecure?
    Those slats just got 10 feet taller!

Thread Information