San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw the stats

But then I saw the highlights *yikes*

This dude is throwing up prayers for layups like he’s 5’8”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    B-But Poeltl can't close out games or make FTs!!
    Poeltl can't be a starter for a playoff team!!
    Doesn't put in the effort
    Can't score for
    Doesn't have a go-to move
    Worse than Eubanks

This thread is easily one of my favorites on the forum, tbh. Such copious stupidity, hot takes, and lack of understanding of basketball in such little pages
    Yeah, because 1 good game for every 20 failures is a fantastic way to be.

got

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw the stats

Career 63% shooter. Whatever he does, it works, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

got
    Your problem is thinking Poeltl plays well 1 out of 20 games, when the ratio is probably closer to the opposite, tbh. Even when he doesn't score 20 or even 10 pts in a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw the stats

He threw down one of his more vicious dunks of his career and shot 9/11 from the field what game are you watching?

I swear this forum is just a confirmation bias simulator sometimes. A bunch of people with conclusions or assumptions already in their heads and will bend over backwards to find any insignificant thing to support their assumptions. Very few just watching to observe. It’s all just grasping at straws to support some insignificant take you had that no one cares about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People on here complaining about one of the best players on the team? You know how many contenders would kill to have Jakob on the their team? Dude is an absolute stud.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gross. But Splitter got that same APY in a much smaller cap. I think that's going to put the Spurs very close to the tax once all of the contracts are signed.
    Back when Chinook still thought Aldridge was the Spurs' best player. Dark times, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People on here complaining about one of the best players on the team? You know how many contenders would kill to have Jakob on the their team? Dude is an absolute stud.
    Lebron would give his left nut to have him on the Lakers.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He threw down one of his more vicious dunks of his career and shot 9/11 from the field what game are you watching?

I swear this forum is just a confirmation bias simulator sometimes. A bunch of people with conclusions or assumptions already in their heads and will bend over backwards to find any insignificant thing to support their assumptions. Very few just watching to observe. It’s all just grasping at straws to support some insignificant take you had that no one cares about.
    https://youtu.be/QRfvmaisxv8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a better game for Poeltl, but not huge. How many layups did Poeltl give without much resistance? Zero blocks for our starting center.
    He gives 5 blocks, then he got a monster game and that would win them more ball games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

got
    Yeah, Poeltl totally plays only 1 good game every 20, it's not like he anchors the defense every game and facilitates most offensive sets night in, night out..... Serious question, do you watch the games? Like, actually watch every game? I'm convinced some SpursTalkers either talk without watching, or actually don't understand enough of what's going on on the court to see how Poeltl consistently contributes to the team winning, even in nights when he's not dropping 20&16.

And TBH, given your username is "DeRozan m8", I'm kind of leaning towards the latter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a better game for Poeltl, but not huge. How many layups did Poeltl give without much resistance? Zero blocks for our starting center.
    He gives 5 blocks, then he got a monster game and that would win them more ball games.
    Not huge? Career high in points and rebounds, and it's "not huge" because he didn't record blocks, heard it here first fellas

People will really twist reality to fit whatever narrative they have going on, it's insane. Y'all really needed someone else you could hate after Forbes left the team and "IG Baller" shut everyone up it's kind of sad, but also really entertaining. By the way, you do know rim-protection duties are shared between a C and a PF, right? How many blocks was Keldon getting when Poeltl was being dragged out into the perimeter?

Do y'all really expect Jakob to do all of defend the 3pt line, stay with his man protecting the dunkers' spot, and be on position for (mostly long) rebounds every single play? Guy can't be everywhere at once, and this game made it painfully obvious (well, clearly not obvious enough for some) how little defensive help he gets most games. Keldon is downright bad at off-ball defense and rim protection right now (you surely didn't catch Porzingis abusing him against the Mavs, huh...?), and the rest of our guards are undersized/unable to protect the rim. It's no wonder we were getting murdered in the 1st half, before the rest of the team remembered they can also play defense. If you don't believe me, rewatch the game, then tell me what Jakob was doing different in both halfs - hint: nothing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The expectation some people have here... insane. And relying on counting stats vs. seeing his obvious impact to the team’s net Rtg when he’s out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That FT% increase alongside increasing attempts is nutty. Not to mention playing almost 30MPG after some bright folks in here claimed he wouldn't ever be able to crack 20+m due to foul trouble or some

The real question, though - is this guy better than Drummond yet? lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh 50% from the FT line. Time to give Chip another raise!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not huge? Career high in points and rebounds, and it's "not huge" because he didn't record blocks, heard it here first fellas

People will really twist reality to fit whatever narrative they have going on, it's insane. Y'all really needed someone else you could hate after Forbes left the team and "IG Baller" shut everyone up it's kind of sad, but also really entertaining. By the way, you do know rim-protection duties are shared between a C and a PF, right? How many blocks was Keldon getting when Poeltl was being dragged out into the perimeter?

Do y'all really expect Jakob to do all of defend the 3pt line, stay with his man protecting the dunkers' spot, and be on position for (mostly long) rebounds every single play? Guy can't be everywhere at once, and this game made it painfully obvious (well, clearly not obvious enough for some) how little defensive help he gets most games. Keldon is downright bad at off-ball defense and rim protection right now (you surely didn't catch Porzingis abusing him against the Mavs, huh...?), and the rest of our guards are undersized/unable to protect the rim. It's no wonder we were getting murdered in the 1st half, before the rest of the team remembered they can also play defense. If you don't believe me, rewatch the game, then tell me what Jakob was doing different in both halfs - hint: nothing.
    Bruh I'd be happy for Poeltl to get a huge game. I'm a Spurs fan for over 30 years. I like them to win.
    But it's wrong to say Poeltl got a huge game when Young, LeVine and even Satoransky was getting points on a layup against Poeltl. Do me a favor and watch the highlights. Bulls were not hitting the 3 as much, but all points in the paint with Poeltl as the main defender.

Poeltl is very capable of swatting 5 shots in a game. He used to do it. He had ZERO block last night.
    In games that Spurs lost, we didn't have interior defense, and that's how defenders scurry to help and leave the open 3's.

Give me rim protection and rebound. Poeltl could score less and I would call it a huge game for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruh I'd be happy for Poeltl to get a huge game. I'm a Spurs fan for over 30 years. I like them to win.
    But it's wrong to say Poeltl got a huge game when Young, LeVine and even Satoransky was getting points on a layup against Poeltl. Do me a favor and watch the highlights. Bulls were not hitting the 3 as much, but all points in the paint with Poeltl as the main defender.

Poeltl is very capable of swatting 5 shots in a game. He used to do it. He had ZERO block last night.
    In games that Spurs lost, we didn't have interior defense, and that's how defenders scurry to help and leave the open 3's.

Give me rim protection and rebound. Poeltl could score less and I would call it a huge game for him.
    This is why people should watch the games before making bold claims based on highlights or box scores.

Poeltl was very active on D and altered a lot of shots all over the court. His interior and perimeter defense was amazing and he did have blocks that didn't make it to the box score for some reason. Not that the number of blocks in isolation matter anyway. He's contesting shots all the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as he can do the dirty work, be active on D and keep a decent % as a key roleplayer then his contact is a bargain.

He does need to work on his free-throw % though so that can stay in late game without becoming a liability. Hopefully he can get somewhere around lower 70% one day at least.
    Last edited by Chomag; 03-18-2021 at 12:50 PM.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He reminds me of Oberto but much better on defense. In a league of ball hog prima donnas I will take him. Definitely over LMA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why people should watch the games before making bold claims based on highlights or box scores.

Poeltl was very active on D and altered a lot of shots all over the court. His interior and perimeter defense was amazing and he did have blocks that didn't make it to the box score for some reason. Not that the number of blocks in isolation matter anyway. He's contesting shots all the time.
    Bruh I watched the game, and maybe a few who stayed with it when lowly Bulls were getting their ways . Okay then, do me a favor and watch the whole game again and not the highlights. Young was getting layups after layups, and Satoransky even joined in the fun. I commend Poeltl for getting 16 points (much of it was dish inside ), but please don’t tell me he did a great job at the rim. That’s all I’m saying. It was a very good game for Jakob, but great?? Come on

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That FT% increase alongside increasing attempts is nutty. Not to mention playing almost 30MPG after some bright folks in here claimed he wouldn't ever be able to crack 20+m due to foul trouble or some

The real question, though - is this guy better than Drummond yet? lmao

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    even if you add 5 blocks... he‘s way overpaid for those guys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our starting ing center

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reason why the Bulls got so many lay ups is that they played Markannen at the 5 which drew Poeltl out to the perimeter. It’s normal that they gonna get more shots at the rim when Jakob has to guard Markannen at the 3-point line. This is the exact reason why I want a 3-Point shooting big coming off the bench. Just so we can switch things up if the offense is struggling.
    He had a great game, scored consistently, finished much stronger, rebounded well. I have no complaints. Hope he keeps playing like this.

Thread Information