Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

JeffGSpursZone
    JeffGSpursZone
    1h
    D. Vassell has now recorded 1 steal or more in 10 straight games for the Spurs. #nba #gospursgo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its a big ask for his offensive game to progress as well as Middleton's but that should definitely be the target

if anything he has a better shot coming out of college than middleton did
    Yup, this is the play I was talking about:

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?Ga...0Shot&sct=plot

Practice that shot over the offseason and we'll have a of a player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't indicate that either, mathematically it doesn't. Only using some arbitrary Maximum and Minimum values to create that line is not a valid way to determine who is a net positive player and net negative. I mean, if that is the definition you want to use, sure, that can mean that. But in reality it has no meaningful purpose in helping identify net positive and net negative players.

A waste of time to create, actually. And we are all dumber for having looked at it...
    Dude, these formulas and graphs are created with the help of professional mathematicians. Are you one of those? If not, you should STFO, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin is the best looking Rookie since Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, these formulas and graphs are created with the help of professional mathematicians. Are you one of those? If not, you should STFO, tbh.
    Oh good, professional mathematicians. Who are some of those who contributed?

Can't say? Then STFU, tbh ... LOL!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh if Vassell were getting the same minutes as rookie Kawhi, he will have better numbers. Rookie Kawhi while very good defensively, likewise Devin is, he was very timid in scoring, which is not the case for Vassell. Vassell is not shy to let them fly with hands in his face.
    Last edited by John B; 01-19-2021 at 11:39 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sean always talks about the development curve for a player when the game slows down for him. The game has been slow for Devin since game one. That’s what makes him unique. That is not the norm for a rookie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of best looking, those are some nice additions to the signature, Bill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rudy Gay being #2 is.... surprising

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh the Spurs' defense makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes, but the Spurs sit at 10th in (team) DRtg right now and if they finish the season there I would be quite pleased, especially considering last year's team was 25th in that metric.

I think some of the frustration comes from the fact that the league as a whole is more efficient on offense than in years past, so good defense relative to current league average can still look bad compared to past seasons. Last season was a record for overall ORtg (110.8), several points above the mid-100s from most of the 2010s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh good, professional mathematicians. Who are some of those who contributed?

Can't say? Then STFU, tbh ... LOL!

Dude, stop ing just to . There's a reason these formulas are used and seen all around the globe and your opinion isn't, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Marfan DemiGod up in this biatch!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dude, stop ing just to . There's a reason these formulas are used and seen all around the globe and your opinion isn't, tbh.
    You're appealing to authority pretty hardcore. There are a lot of basketball stats, and some of them are definitely better than others. Like most folks basically ignore PER now, and it too was once a mathematical formula made by folks who are arguably way smarter than we are. Advanced stats often boil down to being mathematical opinions trying to quantify what the creators think are the most important aspects to playing the game. They can be disagreed with or ignored if they end up not being useful.

As far as why they are repeated, the folks who make (and more importantly, sell) stats market them just like any product. You can argue that the best plus-minus stat out there is old RAPM that's been around forever now, but that's cranked out by a stathead on like a Google sheet a few times a season. Stats like RPM, BPM and TPA often use RAPM as their standard to verify their calculations, but they are still way more easily circulated than their original because of how quickly they update and, more importantly, because they are owned by companies that have a vested interest in hyping their product through tweets and broadcast plug-ins.

Think PFF and SNF NFL games for an example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying that to throw shade on Vassell, who I think is playing really well and would probably thrive as a starter rather than a bit player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're appealing to authority pretty hardcore. There are a lot of basketball stats, and some of them are definitely better than others. Like most folks basically ignore PER now, and it too was once a mathematical formula made by folks who are arguably way smarter than we are. Advanced stats often boil down to being mathematical opinions trying to quantify what the creators think are the most important aspects to playing the game. They can be disagreed with or ignored if they end up not being useful.

As far as why they are repeated, the folks who make (and more importantly, sell) stats market them just like any product. You can argue that the best plus-minus stat out there is old RAPM that's been around forever now, but that's cranked out by a stathead on like a Google sheet a few times a season. Stats like RPM, BPM and TPA often use RAPM as their standard to verify their calculations, but they are still way more easily circulated than their original because of how quickly they update and, more importantly, because they are owned by companies that have a vested interest in hyping their product through tweets and broadcast plug-ins.

Think PFF and SNF NFL games for an example.
    Did you read how the argument began? The dude is saying that the Cartesian axes used in those graphs are being just randomly put there.

You can question the criteria used to come up with certain formulas all you want, but you can't question something as straighforward as Cartesian axes, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of best looking, those are some nice additions to the signature, Bill.
    Glad you approve my friend!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you read how the argument began? The dude is saying that the Cartesian axes used in those graphs are being just randomly put there.

You can question the criteria used to come up with certain formulas all you want, but you can't question something as straighforward as Cartesian axes, tbh.
    My bad. I went back and read it. BBM seems so invested in disagreeing with the implications of the graph that he's purposefully misunderstanding it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My bad. I went back and read it. BBM seems so invested in disagreeing with the implications of the graph that he's purposefully misunderstanding it.
    No, I finally understood how it worked. Few people did because it wasn't explained simply. My comments to him are just based on him being rude and typical ST smacker. Still not sure I like it. It's simple, and has that going for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Whose Spurs record is Vassell about to break? Nephew?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rudy Gay at #2 ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whose Spurs record is Vassell about to break? Nephew?
    Since they only start tracking in 16-17, it probably is DJM, since he is our only rookie with significant time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As soon as I saw Rudy on that list I was like OK meaningless stat lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information