Page 76 of 115 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 2866
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prospects are receiving their Draft Combine apparel via instagram.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

41 more days... Hope we get someone good.

Foot work looks iffy ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Foot work looks iffy ...
    On offense or defense?

That's fair if you think so. I think he has a solid foundation to where he can earn playing time easily, and the rest of his game can develop with those minutes.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-05-2020 at 02:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This highlight reel is interesting; I had believed his jump shooting was something he simply added to his arsenal in college, but apparently he had already looked comfortable doing it two years ago. No wonder it looks so smooth.
    Sugus objective

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

GREAT video of Jalen showcasing his ability to guard perimeter players. There are for sure areas of improvement, but in my opinion I think they are fixable. I especially like the last play.
    Sugus objective timvp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Daydreaming about the two-man game between Jalen and Keldon after watching this video...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has there been anymore discussion about pushing the draft back? It says October 16th, but I could see it being pushed back to early November due to its close proximity to the end of the Finals.

That would push everything else back by a couple of weeks, one would think too.
    Last edited by cd021; 09-06-2020 at 09:28 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Some footage here I haven't seen anywhere else.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like what he brings. If he’s the guy do you take him at 11 or trade down and pick up another asset? Personally I think you take him at 11 and just buy another 1st or high 2nd.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like what he brings. If he’s the guy do you take him at 11 or trade down and pick up another asset? Personally I think you take him at 11 and just buy another 1st or high 2nd.
    im all in for gettin another picks, we need a young talents, the more picks we take the higher chances that one of them become a franchise player we desperately need

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you might see at least 3 teams sale there first round pick but I have never known the Spurs organization buy a first round pick. But on the other hand we have always been in the Playoffs for the last 20 years so they may want them to change that philosophy.

Heck I think we could use our foreign draft pick Nikola to trade with someone who doesn't want it but wants something in return to appease there fans.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

GREAT video of Jalen showcasing his ability to guard perimeter players. There are for sure areas of improvement, but in my opinion I think they are fixable. I especially like the last play.
    Sugus objective timvp
    I've only watched 2 full games.

I like him, but I don't think I love him. I don't think he's switchable against NBA rotation players. Some of his college switches, I think he was lucky to be going against college nobodies. I like the shooting, it's pretty balanced and consistent and I see it translating. The blocks are nice. I do think he moves like he has a rod in his spine, kind of a stiff backed gait.

Bleacher Report's Jon Wasserman moved Smith up to 13 in his latest big board from the end of August (and moving Williams to 8). Both I think he mentioned was due to intel from scouts he talked to.

I think Smith is more of a lock to make it in the NBA than Precious, Smith just has a more mature game. Shooting, IQ, attentive effort. He's where people hope Precious gets to in those areas.

But I do think Precious might have a higher ceiling, though a small chance to get there. I think Precious' athleticism pops more, things come easier to him. Faster and more explosive. But Precious is more likely to be flaming out as a minimum or bi-annual exception guy like Cauley-Stein or Noel.

One question about Smith I would have is, does he pass the Trey Lyles Test? If he were drafted, would he take minutes from Lyles in year one? Would he ever be better? What does he do better than Lyles who is a blandly average PF who can kind of score, kind of shoot, kind of move his feet, etc etc.

As a comparison, I think Samanic fails the Lyles test and won't pass it any time soon or ever. I do think Smith or Precious or Williams would be well ahead of Samanic.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been getting lower on Okoro.

And I think it's because of how hyped he is a defender who doesn't get big steals or blocks and presently can't shoot.

And I think Dort is the one who kind of convinced me.

Basically, 6-5, 6-4, 6-3 guys who are strong and can defend can be had easy, you don't have to spend a lottery pick on them. Dort, Roberson, Thybulle, PJ Tucker, Beverly, Derrick White.

But you draft a defender like Okoro in the lottery and he only defends and plays in transition, you have MKG or Stanley Johnson.

I would rank Okoro and his fake height under Williams, under Vassell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, I finally got around to seeing some Jalen Smith. Looks like yet another guy whose main/best position in today's NBA would be center. He moves his feet a little but not to hang with the 3.5 guys that play the 4 on the NBA on a consistent basis.

He could be a solid contributor but, as many already know, I'm on the "sign a true wing" wagon.

P/S: He really needs to start doing some leg reps. I don't know if the black tights gave me an optic ilussion but those twik legs looked like they were about to snap at any minute.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've only watched 2 full games.

I like him, but I don't think I love him. I don't think he's switchable against NBA rotation players. Some of his college switches, I think he was lucky to be going against college nobodies. I like the shooting, it's pretty balanced and consistent and I see it translating. The blocks are nice. I do think he moves like he has a rod in his spine, kind of a stiff backed gait.

Bleacher Report's Jon Wasserman moved Smith up to 13 in his latest big board from the end of August (and moving Williams to 8). Both I think he mentioned was due to intel from scouts he talked to.

I think Smith is more of a lock to make it in the NBA than Precious, Smith just has a more mature game. Shooting, IQ, attentive effort. He's where people hope Precious gets to in those areas.

But I do think Precious might have a higher ceiling, though a small chance to get there. I think Precious' athleticism pops more, things come easier to him. Faster and more explosive. But Precious is more likely to be flaming out as a minimum or bi-annual exception guy like Cauley-Stein or Noel.

One question about Smith I would have is, does he pass the Trey Lyles Test? If he were drafted, would he take minutes from Lyles in year one? Would he ever be better? What does he do better than Lyles who is a blandly average PF who can kind of score, kind of shoot, kind of move his feet, etc etc.

As a comparison, I think Samanic fails the Lyles test and won't pass it any time soon or ever. I do think Smith or Precious or Williams would be well ahead of Samanic.
    Thanks for your insight, and I hope you find time to watch some more.

In my opinion, he passes the Lyles test. For one, Smith's college numbers blow Trey's out of the water. He's already a way better shot blocker and provides some physical presence (not a super strong one), while Trey provides zero.

I agree with your thoughts about Precious possibly having a higher ceiling, with a lower chance to reach it.

Regarding your opinion on him being poor on switchability, I disagree and think maybe we have to wait and see...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, I finally got around to seeing some Jalen Smith. Looks like yet another guy whose main/best position in today's NBA would be center. He moves his feet a little but not to hang with the 3.5 guys that play the 4 on the NBA on a consistent basis.

He could be a solid contributor but, as many already know, I'm on the "sign a true wing" wagon.

P/S: He really needs to start doing some leg reps. I don't know if the black tights gave me an optic ilussion but those twik legs looked like they were about to snap at any minute.
    In your world, everyone is a center...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In your world, everyone is a center...

I love how objective pretty much said the same thing as me (actually he seems to have even less faith on Smith's mobility than me) yet he gets a "disagree" while I get a sassy comment .

I'm curious son, where this animosity towards me started? I know I bull around too much and come across as a smartass bag sometimes, but I never felt this level of resentment from an internet poster before, tbh.

Even with posters I constantly have beef with, we still mostly do it in clear internet trolling ways.

Getting back on topic: no, not everyone is a center to me. Williams isn't a center. Bey isn't a center. Nesmith isn't a center. Vassell isn't a center. Pokusevski isn't a center. Achiuwa and Smith I have a feeling will be on the NBA. Smith more so, imho.

Do you really see Smith following guys like Lebron, Kawhi and Durant around and playing them one-on-one on the perimeter? I really don't. I also don't see him as the ball-handler on pick and rolls or breaking his guy down on one-on-one situations on the perimeter. Those are the type of things that people should be looking at when projecting if a guy can play on the perimeter in the NBA, and they really aren't very hard to predict, tbh. Mobility on the perimeter isn't really something that sees much improvement (if any at all) from college to the pros.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love how objective pretty much said the same thing as me (actually he seems to have even less faith on Smith's mobility than me) yet he gets a "disagree" while I get a sassy comment .

I'm curious son, where this animosity towards me started? I know I bull around too much and come across as a smartass bag sometimes, but I never felt this level of resentment from an internet poster before, tbh.

Even with posters I constantly have beef with, we still mostly do it in clear internet trolling ways.

Getting back on topic: no, not everyone is a center to me. Williams isn't a center. Bey isn't a center. Nesmith isn't a center. Vassell isn't a center. Pokusevski isn't a center. Achiuwa and Smith I have a feeling will be on the NBA. Smith more so, imho.

Do you really see Smith following guys like Lebron, Kawhi and Durant around and playing them one-on-one on the perimeter? I really don't. I also don't see him as the ball-handler on pick and rolls or breaking his guy down on one-on-one situations on the perimeter. Those are the type of things that people should be looking at when projecting if a guy can play on the perimeter in the NBA, and they really aren't very hard to predict, tbh. Mobility on the perimeter isn't really something that sees much improvement (if any at all) from college to the pros.
    What is this bull rant? Lmfao

The difference between objective and you is him watching tape about players is way more believable. The takes you have are so vanilla and sounds like from a guy who read something online. Maybe provide more of a detailed input? I don't ing know.

I'm not projecting Jalen as a perimeter guy. He's a stretch 4 who can attack close outs. It's literally what Trey does right now (without the interior D and O that Jalen would also provide). I have faith he can develop more than just that, but thats another story and an opinion you and others may not share.

I don't know why you dont ing consider Poku as a center, because he sure as wont be able to guard LeBron, Kawhi, and Durant. (Kawhi rarely plays the 4 so not sure why he was included here.) Before you mention that its because of his offense, that's not what dictates what position he plays. Teams (especially the Spurs) put players out there who can match up with the other team on defense. You really think Pop is going to put out Poetl and Poku together on the court? The is wrong with you? That's like two traffic cones against perimeter players.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-08-2020 at 01:42 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have to disagree I don’t think he is a Center at all can he play it in small ball yeah but he is a PF who can play a little at SF. Now Precious is a Center who can play PF very different players who can do things the other one can’t. What I like about Smith is he can play good defense and also good offense and the kid has that desire to get better and yeah he has skinny legs he kinda reminds me of a shorter David Robinson he is in my top 3 players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have to disagree I don’t think he is a Center at all can he play it in small ball yeah but he is a PF who can play a little at SF. Now Precious is a Center who can play PF very different players who can do things the other one can’t. What I like about Smith is he can play good defense and also good offense and the kid has that desire to get better and yeah he has skinny legs he kinda reminds me of a shorter David Robinson he is in my top 3 players.
    Somewhat agree.

On offense, he'll be like Trey Lyles. He won't hover around at the 3 point line as much as Trey-- he can switch it up and play inside as well. He has the strength and skill to do it.

On defense, I say
    10% on SFs (closeouts and occasional switch)
    60% on PFs
    30% on Cs (when opposing teams play small ball)

Yeah, there will be a learning curve against more mobile PFs like Siakam. That's the gamble. But against the spot up stretch PFs? Like Michael Porter Jr? Like Marcus Morris? Like Jae Crowder? Do guys really think these guys are fast and require a lot of lateral quickness to guard? yeah, I think he can handle those guys easily.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

FWIW, I think Dejounte's and my back-and-forths are so calm because when I label the number of games I've seen and how I label them "only 2 full games" then it's probably easier to discuss the elements of the conversation.

When I emphasize that it's only 2 games of Smith that I watched, I am implicitly admitting that he may have looked great switching in the other 20+ games he played. All I am judging is 2 games and projecting from that, and that's not a lot. So I put out there the weakness in my evaluations and we can go from there rather than me declaring, "this guy sucks cuz I said so".

For the record, the 2 games I watched were 03/08 Michigan and 02/29 Michigan State. I have another 20 games dvr'd I just find Big 10 basketball even more dull than usual for college basketball.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I think Smith might have looked even better this season if his teammates would pass him the ball. Must have been 3 times if not more in that State he hustled himself into perfect position for the feed to a dunk and those other terps couldn't or wouldn't pass him the ball. One time really pissed me off after he had a great block then ran his ass down in transition only for the guard to puke up a layup attempt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW, I think Dejounte's and my back-and-forths are so calm because when I label the number of games I've seen and how I label them "only 2 full games" then it's probably easier to discuss the elements of the conversation.

When I emphasize that it's only 2 games of Smith that I watched, I am implicitly admitting that he may have looked great switching in the other 20+ games he played. All I am judging is 2 games and projecting from that, and that's not a lot. So I put out there the weakness in my evaluations and we can go from there rather than me declaring, "this guy sucks cuz I said so".

For the record, the 2 games I watched were 03/08 Michigan and 02/29 Michigan State. I have another 20 games dvr'd I just find Big 10 basketball even more dull than usual for college basketball.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I think Smith might have looked even better this season if his teammates would pass him the ball. Must have been 3 times if not more in that State he hustled himself into perfect position for the feed to a dunk and those other terps couldn't or wouldn't pass him the ball. One time really pissed me off after he had a great block then ran his ass down in transition only for the guard to puke up a layup attempt.
    Or "this guy is good cuz I said so". He makes stupid definitive statements. He has slightly improved, but I'm not sure if it's coincidental.

Your insight such as your last paragraph is why it is easy to respect you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been getting lower on Okoro.

And I think it's because of how hyped he is a defender who doesn't get big steals or blocks and presently can't shoot.

And I think Dort is the one who kind of convinced me.

Basically, 6-5, 6-4, 6-3 guys who are strong and can defend can be had easy, you don't have to spend a lottery pick on them. Dort, Roberson, Thybulle, PJ Tucker, Beverly, Derrick White.

But you draft a defender like Okoro in the lottery and he only defends and plays in transition, you have MKG or Stanley Johnson.

I would rank Okoro and his fake height under Williams, under Vassell.
    I'm 100% with you on Okoro... you can get a late 1st (maybe even our #41) and get a physical athlete like Woodard who can defend 3 or 4 positions and catch and shoot 3's. That's better value and let's you use #11 elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Some footage here I haven't seen anywhere else.
    Nice!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is this bull rant? Lmfao

The difference between objective and you is him watching tape about players is way more believable. The takes you have are so vanilla and sounds like from a guy who read something online. Maybe provide more of a detailed input? I don't ing know.

I'm not projecting Jalen as a perimeter guy. He's a stretch 4 who can attack close outs. It's literally what Trey does right now (without the interior D and O that Jalen would also provide). I have faith he can develop more than just that, but thats another story and an opinion you and others may not share.

I don't know why you dont ing consider Poku as a center, because he sure as wont be able to guard LeBron, Kawhi, and Durant. (Kawhi rarely plays the 4 so not sure why he was included here.) Before you mention that its because of his offense, that's not what dictates what position he plays. Teams (especially the Spurs) put players out there who can match up with the other team on defense. You really think Pop is going to put out Poetl and Poku together on the court? The is wrong with you? That's like two traffic cones against perimeter players.
    Poku's lateral quickness and overall mobility isn't by any means worse than that of Smith or Achiuwa, tbh. If you think that then you need to go back to watching some more Poku's games. But the main difference comes from the fact that Pokusevski's role on the NBA wouldn't be stopping the Lebrons and Kawhis of the league. If he pans out, he will be mainly an offensive walking mismatch that projects to be a primary ball handler. On defense he would be often put on the less offensive gifted forward of the opposition and would work his ability as a disruptive off ball defender.

You may say "well, Smith and Achiuwa's role wouldn't be to guard the Lebrons and Kawhis" to which my answer would be: what's their value as forwards then? If you aren't projected to be a primary playmaker (like a Pokusevski is projected to be at his ideal development) and you aren't projected to be able to guard the opposition's best forward (like a Williams or a Bey could do) then what's your role? You aren't neither a primary offensive option nor a defensive stopper. Who are the forwards, that can't do any of these things, that have a significant role in today's NBA?

Regarding you not beliving me watching tape, then I don't know what to tell you. I provided an extended in-depth analysis of Pokusevski, if you want to believe I made all of that up without watching the full games then it's just further prove that you have some irrational dislike for me and will continue acting like a third grader when adressing me, tbh.

Thread Information