Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it’s a great pickup. Spurs needed a shooter, well McBuckets is one of the best. He has size in contrast with Forbes , Beli and Patty. And he’s still relatively young at 29 and coming off from his best career at 14 pts a game. Not too shabby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But bottom line is the Spurs got something out of nothing so can't be too upset no matter what it is. If they actually get a pick in the 30s either year, that'd be a huge win. Those picks are really valuable ... and it looks like the Spurs get two cracks at getting lucky in that regard.
    2023 second round draft pick from Indiana

Indiana's 2023 2nd round pick to San Antonio protected for selections 31-55 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Indiana's obligation to San Antonio will be extinguished) [Indiana-San Antonio, 8/7/2021]

2026 second round draft pick from Indiana or Miami (swap, San Antonio outgoing to Indiana)

Memphis will receive the more favorable of Indiana's 2026 2nd round pick and Miami's 2026 2nd round pick; San Antonio will receive the more favorable of (i) its 2026 2nd round pick and (ii) the less favorable of the Indiana pick and the Miami pick and Indiana will receive the least favorable of the three (via Miami to Indiana; via Milwaukee to Memphis; via San Antonio's right to swap for Indiana or Miami) [Indiana-Miami-Phoenix, 7/6/2019; Indiana-Milwaukee, 7/30/2021; Memphis-Milwaukee, 8/7/2021; Indiana-San Antonio, 8/7/2021]
    2023 second round draft pick to Indiana
    San Antonio's 2023 2nd round pick to Indiana protected for selections 31-55 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then San Antonio's obligation to Indiana will be extinguished) [Indiana-San Antonio, 8/7/2021]
    https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dr...rafts/detailed

So if these are the protections on the pick, then the deal was bad. Basically looks like SA tried to do it for free (asset-wise at least; I wouldn't be surprised if the Holts got some cash for it) by exchanging heavily protected second-rounders, but the league nixed that and demanded the swap instead to fulfill the requirements. The Spurs not only get a poor swap (they have to do better than both Indy and Miami in 2026 to improve their second), they will likely not get that 2023 second at all from Indy. It's even possible for SA to give up their 2023, Indy to keep their 2023 and for the Spurs to not get the swap, meaning the Spurs might actually end up trading a second-rounder in order to do the Pacers the favor of giving them a TE. This is bad. I am okay with the team basically getting nothing considering they were doing a tiny favor, and I know the worst-case scenario is unlikely to happen. But the Spurs could've just sent a bit of cash back to make this trade happen. But they prioritized keeping that and risking losing a pick.

I'm still hoping that will end up being updated to reflect a better level of protections. From what I see now, it would've been better to not have done this trade at all if Indy wasn't willing to offer anything from it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong at it again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the actual ? BW's nice guy schtick has gotten outta control, tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins was the young big talent, not Zollins.

Zollins has never done in the NBA. Yeah I'll take Collins over McDermott + Zollins + Forbes.
    The FO would love to give John Collins the max.
    The problem is that the Hawks would definitely match.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was obviously the 2nd best player on a Hawks team that made the ECF and went 6 games against the NBA Champs. That's enough proof of him being a Robin already and he's only 23.
    Yes this is true. if we get John Collins, we're actually one star away from contending for a championship. With John Collins, we can get into playoff again. By getting into playoff this year and playing well, we will be able to attract another star. Like Chinook said, this is more reasonable way to build a championship, not just keeping tanking. If we keep tanking, the young guys will never develop.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The FO would love to give John Collins the max.
    The problem is that the Hawks would definitely match.
    Would have been better either way. McDermott signs somewhere else if they match, Spurs have no money to sign his scrub ass if they don't. Atlanta ended up getting Collins signed a lot lower than max. Max Spurs could offer would have been 4 years, $119 million and he signed for 5 years, $125 million. Not a sure thing that Atlanta would have matched.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would have been better either way. McDermott signs somewhere else if they match, Spurs have no money to sign his scrub ass if they don't. Atlanta ended up getting Collins signed a lot lower than max. Max Spurs could offer would have been 4 years, $119 million and he signed for 5 years, $125 million. Not a sure thing that Atlanta would have matched.
    Have to respectfully disagree on this. McDermott is actually a good player for our young guys to develop. He is a good plan B since plan A is not achievable (getting John Collins).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gonna be hilarious when all these sniffers have to jump through hoops to defend Wrong and McDip while he's on the court bricking shots and getting destroyed on defense on a nightly basis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was obviously the 2nd best player on a Hawks team that made the ECF and went 6 games against the NBA Champs. That's enough proof of him being a Robin already and he's only 23.
    His usage rate in the playoffs was third. He avg 13.9ppg in the playoffs, tiny bit less that Bogdonavic and a 1 point more than Reddish and Gallinari, despite Reddish and Gallinari 7 less minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gonna be hilarious when all these sniffers have to jump through hoops to defend Wrong and McDip while he's on the court bricking shots and getting destroyed on defense on a nightly basis
    how dareth you slander sir douglas of house mcbuckets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dr...rafts/detailed

So if these are the protections on the pick, then the deal was bad. Basically looks like SA tried to do it for free (asset-wise at least; I wouldn't be surprised if the Holts got some cash for it) by exchanging heavily protected second-rounders, but the league nixed that and demanded the swap instead to fulfill the requirements. The Spurs not only get a poor swap (they have to do better than both Indy and Miami in 2026 to improve their second), they will likely not get that 2023 second at all from Indy. It's even possible for SA to give up their 2023, Indy to keep their 2023 and for the Spurs to not get the swap, meaning the Spurs might actually end up trading a second-rounder in order to do the Pacers the favor of giving them a TE. This is bad. I am okay with the team basically getting nothing considering they were doing a tiny favor, and I know the worst-case scenario is unlikely to happen. But the Spurs could've just sent a bit of cash back to make this trade happen. But they prioritized keeping that and risking losing a pick.

I'm still hoping that will end up being updated to reflect a better level of protections. From what I see now, it would've been better to not have done this trade at all if Indy wasn't willing to offer anything from it.
    Good find, Chinook.

Wow, I take back anything positive I said about the picks in this trade. That's such a pitiful return that the Spurs shouldn't have even agreed to do the trade. The Pacers would have to be a top-five team in the NBA in 2023 or the Spurs would have to finish with a better record than both Indiana and Miami in 2026 to be able to swap a second rounder in that draft. And then even if the latter situation happens, the Spurs get the worse of the Indiana and Miami picks. The chances of this trade benefiting the Spurs are microscopic.

And, yeah, if the Spurs miraculously become a top-five team in the NBA in 2023, they'll actually lose on a trade where they were doing the Pacers a favor

If there's not more to the story (like cash [which would be a pretty lame reason, too, tbh] or these details are wrong), there was no reason to complete the trade. Not only do you get nothing in this trade, you set a bad precedent for future trades. Creating a $7 million trade exception for the Pacers should have been worth something tangible. This makes it look like the Spurs were just playing that "nice guy" role again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i miss RC minus the loyalty contracts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good find, Chinook.

Wow, I take back anything positive I said about the picks in this trade. That's such a pitiful return that the Spurs shouldn't have even agreed to do the trade. The Pacers would have to be a top-five team in the NBA in 2023 or the Spurs would have to finish with a better record than both Indiana and Miami in 2026 to be able to swap a second rounder in that draft. And then even if the latter situation happens, the Spurs get the worse of the Indiana and Miami picks. The chances of this trade benefiting the Spurs are microscopic.

And, yeah, if the Spurs miraculously become a top-five team in the NBA in 2023, they'll actually lose on a trade where they were doing the Pacers a favor

If there's not more to the story (like cash [which would be a pretty lame reason, too, tbh] or these details are wrong), there was no reason to complete the trade. Not only do you get nothing in this trade, you set a bad precedent for future trades. Creating a $7 million trade exception for the Pacers should have been worth something tangible. This makes it look like the Spurs were just playing that "nice guy" role again.
    CREAM team doe !!!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good find, Chinook.

FO being "Nice guy" is ok. Maybe someday Paces will return the favor. We're all good natured human beings. You give me a favor and I'll remember it and want to return.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good find, Chinook.

I looks to me like the swap is the "incentive" for the Spurs, while the exchange of 2023 picks is how the Spurs met the trade requirements. I don't think the Spurs wanted to do a 2023 swap, since there is a better chance of that conveying in Indy's favor. Most likely no one gets any picks from that. While I wouldn't think $110k would justify the 2026 swap option, I would've preferred that to the 2023 pick. In reality, it should've just been a straight signing, provided there isn't something I can't remotely predict. While it probably won't matter, the Spurs hard-capped themselves to give Indy this TE. It's just odd that they wouldn't get anything better.

Now Portland fans are talking about getting Young in a Collins S&T. Seems ridiculous, but now I legit don't know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think there was a clear window that the Spurs missed that you can frame it that way. We don't know if they're a 40-win team now. They have cap flexibility and are gaining assets, but they'll need guys to develop before they're actually in that pre-Duncan mode. That was a solid playoff team that couldn't win a le. The Spurs aren't there, and they shouldn't even be expected to make the play-in with White's injury history.

We'll see. I agree that we don't know if the FO will make the necessary moves. Not signing Collins was one thing, and everyone knows that I wanted them to prune away some young players to stimulate new growth. That not happening is a bigger red flag than they not getting a big fish with their cap space.
    For sure - it’s not apples to apples but was speaking more of the mentality. And I don’t blame them for not landing Collins; they didn’t control the situation and he took less money than SA could offer so seems clear he wanted to stay

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is just terrible someone needs to be fired for OK that trade that is just plain stupid..................................

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The FO did plenty. I've said it elsewhere, the talent on the team is already on the team. Free Agency periods only have bit players and marginal players nowadays; otherwise they get snapped up and SAS ain't a player nowadays. There are a number of young guards and wings on the team already and what they needed was to let the vets go and put shooters around them to open up the floor.

That's exactly what they did, plus potentially found the next overseas contributor in Landale. I know people their britches here about Z. Collins, but they could afford to take a healthy swing at a young big talent.

That's it. Instead of tying up loads of cash on maybe-fits and potential chemistry-wreckers, they're giving this team to Keldon, Dejounte, and everyone else. This is exactly what they should have done.
    That’s not really what we are talking about though. It was about moving ddr lma rudy Mills when they had more value. That or cashing in on some youth to make a leap around those vets if your plan was to keep them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs, as I’ve said, care more about being nice than doing what’s good for the team. It’s gotten them nothing especially considering they do everyone favors, send players where they want and help teams steal our coaches.

But when it comes to trades all you hear is how teams won’t deal with Sa. So again, how is this helping?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the level we’re talking about (crappy 2nd versus craptacular 2nd) I just do not think it’s that big a deal honestly. I’m a big believer in social/political capital in life generally, and being able to grease the wheels for ongoing relationships. It’s why your able to dump Tiago for essentially nothing to make room for LMA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His usage rate in the playoffs was third. He avg 13.9ppg in the playoffs, tiny bit less that Bogdonavic and a 1 point more than Reddish and Gallinari, despite Reddish and Gallinari 7 less minutes.
    <br>
    <br>
    PPG isn't everything.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After this trade, if they do a deal with Portland and a Zollins swap will end up in the Spurs sending Portland picks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s not really what we are talking about though. It was about moving ddr lma rudy Mills when they had more value. That or cashing in on some youth to make a leap around those vets if your plan was to keep them
    Spurs didn't do that because Pop thought he could make the playoffs. It's that simple

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs didn't do that because Pop thought he could make the playoffs. It's that simple
    He missed the playoffs. Ran it back. Missed playoffs again. That’s why I said we have to question their ability to make obvious moves.

Thread Information