Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Firstly we got a pick from the hornets which could be conveyed as early as next year or within two more years. That's a reasonable time frame.
    The 1st Atlanta unprotected draft pick is in 2025 which is also in a reasonable time frame. The second Atlanta pick is in 2027, but that's because of the Ted Stepien rule. Can't change that. Even with the addition of Murray, I still don't see the hawks as a top 5 eastern conference team. They are directly competing with several up and coming teams that could knock them down a few notches making our Atlanta picks less "iffy" and more valuable. I can see why they traded Murray for those picks.
    The lakers are a totally different story. In 5 -7 years, Lebron will be long retired or moved on and Ad will have easily broken down already. Some people might say, yea the lakers will be bad by then. That wont happen. After ridding themselves from Lebron's , AD, and Russ's salaries, they will have tons of money to lure free agents and even sign other ring chasers for minimum contracts like they do every year just because they are the stinking Lakers with their 17 championships. They may not win a championship, but they will probably be much closer to it than Atlanta, making their Laker picks more "iffy" and less valuable to the spurs.
    You are just complaining.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers are one of the most boom or bust franchises in the NBA.

If we could send McD for Russ and an unprotected FRP or something along those lines you absolutely do that. There doesn't seem to be much other opportunity for our cap that will otherwise go un used.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers are one of the most boom or bust franchises in the NBA.

If we could send McD for Russ and an unprotected FRP or something along those lines you absolutely do that. There doesn't seem to be much other opportunity for our cap that will otherwise go un used.
    There are other opportunities, just not for a UFRP. Phoenix is looking to shed $16M or so, and GS’s owner is making complaining noises about the tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are other opportunities, just not for a UFRP. Phoenix is looking to shed $16M or so, and GS’s owner is making complaining noises about the tax.
    Old news / a McForbes thread better place but.....

Who exactly made the call to sign McForbesbot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors aren’t giving you a damn thing. Phx might eventuallly
    cough up an FRP for taking Saric. There you go not a whole lot.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm ok with PATFO taking on Russ and trading with the Lakers but only IF they truly believe it will make the Lakers worse in the mid-long-term

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is a possible use of the cap space the Spurs could get a player from another team they might want to keep, or do you think no teams are going to trade such a player to the Spurs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is a possible use of the cap space the Spurs could get a player from another team they might want to keep, or do you think no teams are going to trade such a player to the Spurs?
    Deadline is always a good time to have cap space. Teams that are over the cap will give up a pick to save 10 million, for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A player who the Spurs would want to keep, long term, wouldn’t come with a draft pick attached, most likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deadline is always a good time to have cap space. Teams that are over the cap will give up a pick to save 10 million, for example.
    It’s increasingly SRPs that change hands for cap relief.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s increasingly SRPs that change hands for cap relief.
    We did get a first from TOR from that deal. One of the main motivation for them is to get under the tax. It is more than them wanting Thad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We did get a first from TOR from that deal. One of the main motivation for them is to get under the tax. It is more than them wanting Thad.
    You are incorrect. The Raptors were brushing up on the luxury tax but were not over and could have easily managed a buffer other ways, including buying out Dragic for 99 cents on the dollar.

We didn't get an FRP in isolation as it cost us the 33rd pick and Thad. The Raptors did indeed want Thad as it gave them a player who’s bird rights they would own come summer 2022, allowing them to use their exceptions elsewhere which they did with Otto Porter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A player who the Spurs would want to keep, long term, wouldn’t come with a draft pick attached, most likely.
    No, I meant Spurs just taking a player they might like into their cap space without a draft pick, or trading a draft pick of their own to get the player. Not sure if any teams would be looking to dump anyone that the Spurs might want, though. I guess usually a team doesn't dump a good player for tax purposes. Then again, maybe they would for a draft pick if that player didn't fit. Maybe the Spurs could use their cap space that way.
    Last edited by Ice009; 08-25-2022 at 08:20 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beverly to the Lakers.

I have a feeling that a Westbrook trade just became more likely.

What’s the general consensus for where he could land? Spurs, Utah, & Indiana?? Anyone else?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beverly to the Lakers.

What’s the general consensus for where he could land? Spurs, Utah, & Indiana?? Anyone else?
    Hmm, I think it means a Brick trade is less likely at the moment. Signals Lakers have internalized that Irving is, in fact, staying put, and they’re scrambling for depth.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beverly to the Lakers.

Not sure why anyone would want Westbrook. Who can they trade him for? What team would want him? Since they did get Beverly, though, maybe the are looking to trade for a player in a different position and slot Beverly in at PG? I guess if there is a team looking to dump someone and get 1 or 2 unprotected draft picks from the Lakers for their troubles.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm, I think it means a Brick trade is less likely at the moment. Signals Lakers have internalized that Irving is, in fact, staying put, and they’re scrambling for depth.

I could see them trading Westbrook to the Spurs for solid role players and keeping the cap space open for next year for Irving. Richardson and Poeltl for an unprotected pick and a pick swap. A three team trade with Utah that gets the Lakers Bogdonovic could be possible. Lakers walking into 2023-24 season with at least Lebron, Irving, Davis, Richardson, Bogdonovic, Beverly, Poeltl and vet mins isn’t a terrible plan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see them trading Westbrook to the Spurs for solid role players and keeping the cap space open for next year for Irving. Richardson and Poeltl for an unprotected pick and a pick swap. A three team trade with Utah that gets the Lakers Bogdonovic could be possible. Lakers walking into 2023-24 season with at least Lebron, Irving, Davis, Richardson, Bogdonovic, Beverly, Poeltl and vet mins isn’t a terrible plan.
    That math doesn’t add up. No way they can retain those guys and sign Irving outright next season unless he takes money off the table.

they have 90mm tied up between LBJ and AD for a projected 130mm salary cap in 2023. They need to trade Russ now for players who’s bird rights they receive NOW.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA won't have cap space next year. They'll still be over. The only chance they have to get him is to trade him into our cap space, creating a trade exception, and using that exception to go after Kyrie.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA won't have cap space next year. They'll still be over. The only chance they have to get him is to trade him into our cap space, creating a trade exception, and using that exception to go after Kyrie.
    Do the Spurs have enough cap space to give the Lakers a big enough trade exception to fit Irving's first year salary next summer? It might be close given the signings of Dieng and Wieskamp.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do the Spurs have enough cap space to give the Lakers a big enough trade exception to fit Irving's first year salary next summer? It might be close given the signings of Dieng and Wieskamp.
    I believe Wieskamp can be waived before the season starts with no guaranteed money if that made a difference. The Lakers need to find complimentary role players to put around LBJ and AD. I wouldn't be surprised to see Irving have a great year, Simmons prove to be a great fit and the Nets make it at least to the ECF and Irving re-sign with the Nets. Winning in Brooklyn will solve lots of problems.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers need shooting. We don’t need McBuckets. Seems like a good starting point. As for not helping the Lakers, they are still gonna suck even with Westbrook off the team; Lebron and AD need too much rest and the rest of the team sucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe Wieskamp can be waived before the season starts with no guaranteed money if that made a difference. The Lakers need to find complimentary role players to put around LBJ and AD. I wouldn't be surprised to see Irving have a great year, Simmons prove to be a great fit and the Nets make it at least to the ECF and Irving re-sign with the Nets. Winning in Brooklyn will solve lots of problems.
    Wieskamp allegedly has the first year guaranteed, but Alize is a make good, with only a little guaranteed money out of $2M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers need shooting. We don’t need McBuckets. Seems like a good starting point. As for not helping the Lakers, they are still gonna suck even with Westbrook off the team; Lebron and AD need too much rest and the rest of the team sucks.
    McDougal’s contract isn’t very appealing. That extra year makes no sense for the Lakers. I’d also argue 40% or so is nice but he does it on low volume (for today’s NBA) at around 5 attempts per game. He’s never been a volume 3 pt sniper in his entire career. He is very overrated on this board.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate Westbrook the player, but would love to see him command the tank for the Spurs.

Thread Information