Page 31 of 101 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Backing off John Collins and helping DDR get paid for Lauri is such a Spurs screw up.

How about playing three Collins card to the end and then worry about DeMar and his money.

And if it means DeMar has to take a tiny deal that's his problem

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If someone is signed to a max contract, is there any room to sign Wieskamp to a Tre Jones deal?

The salary of a draftee is already baked into what the team can offer on a max contract, it's called a cap-hold. If there wasn't room for a max offer, then they might have to either trade or renounce the right to Wieskamp if that made a difference in being able to offer a max.

Hope that made sense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its been a while since i had a solid understanding of NBA cap rules, last time i really went into that dive was during the big LMA summer.

can a derozan/bulls S&T be executed while still being able to get collins on an offer sheet?
    No. Because they'd have to renounce DeMar to have the space to offer a sheet to Collins.

And it's not like DeMar is being traded into capspace where the Spurs could renounce the trade exception ... They'd be taking back salary

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, from here on out no news is definitely good news. only teams with enough cap space to throw max (or near max) offers at collins are the spurs and thunder, as far as i understand. will then come down to whether hawks would match. the news that they "arent close" to agreeing with collins appears to be pretty good news as well, since it looks like he's holding out for max or near max money and they dont currently want to pay that.

they might just be testing the market and hoping he doenst get a max offer, but would match if he did get one. impossible to truly read
    Probably just means Good Collins wants a fifth year and 8% raises while the Hawks want him to sign an offer sheet so it's 4 years with 4% raises. I wouldn't hold out any hope of the Spurs actually getting him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its been a while since i had a solid understanding of NBA cap rules, last time i really went into that dive was during the big LMA summer.

can a derozan/bulls S&T be executed while still being able to get collins on an offer sheet?
    Technically? Yes. But realistically, no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, nothing sums up how much the NBA has changed more than Andre Drummond signing a one year minimum deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hawks holding the cards

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No expert either. But I don't think that would work unless you attain collins first. Then execute the s&t, which means going over the cap, and possibly luxury tax depending on size

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Because they'd have to renounce DeMar to have the space to offer a sheet to Collins.

And it's not like DeMar is being traded into capspace where the Spurs could renounce the trade exception ... They'd be taking back salary
    You can renounce DeRozan and still sign and trade him. In theory, if DDR and Lauri were S&T for say 8M each, SA would still have 20M to offer Collins. Obviously that is so unrealistic it’s not worth discussing, but it’s possible.

However, as I mentioned in my 3 team trade scenario which I think may be a likely framework IF SA really wants Collins:

SA Gets: Collins + Thad Young + Top 5 protected pick (likely from CHI)

ATL Gets: Dejounte Murray

CHI Gets: DeRozan (and then they still have Lauri they can keep or sign and trade as well).

I think CHI easily does that if they are serious about wanting DDR. Giving up only Thad + a pick is a no brainer IMO.

ATL very likely does it if they are truly willing to let Collins walk anyways; that’s a no brainer.

Question really is: Does SA do this? Do they even want Collins at his max? Are they willing to trade Murray for a lottery pick (or maybe just outside of lottery)?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The salary of a draftee is already baked into what the team can offer on a max contract, it's called a cap-hold. If there wasn't room for a max offer, then they might have to either trade or renounce the right to Wieskamp if that made a difference in being able to offer a max.

Hope that made sense.
    Not exactly.

Jones was signed using part of the mle last year which allowed him to sign a 3 year deal.

If the Spurs operate as an under the cap team, they lose the mle but do gain the room exception. Room exception is limited to 2 year deals.

So if the Spurs land Collins, unless there's some money left over then weiskamp can only get a 2 year deal

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can renounce DeRozan and still sign and trade him. In theory, if DDR and Lauri were S&T for say 8M each, SA would still have 20M to offer Collins. Obviously that is so unrealistic it’s not worth discussing, but it’s possible.

However, as I mentioned in my 3 team trade scenario which I think may be a likely framework IF SA really wants Collins:

CHI Gets: DeRozan (and then they still have Lauri they can keep or sign and trade as well).

I think CHI easily does that if they are serious about wanting DDR. Giving up only Thad + a pick is a no brainer IMO.

ATL very likely does it if they are truly willing to let Collins walk anyways; that’s a no brainer.

Question really is: Does SA do this? Do they even want Collins at his max? Are they willing to trade Murray for a lottery pick (or maybe just outside of lottery)?
    If they really want JC at the max they do it.... if they don't see much difference between he and Lauri they probably do a straight S&T with Chicago and still have a little money left over (between 10M and 14M)... they could conceivably trade White or DJ to GS for Wiggins + assets if they wanted..... of course that requires creativity that we have yet to see...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't see how any of that would work. They would have to either S/T DMDR for Collins or renounce Demar to sign Collins under the cap. No way to do both.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Twin towers 2.0
    Seriously trading for Lauri? Don’t we already have enough of the same dudes?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White is injured often. Trading Murray to a not guard is a bit risky if white gets hurt. Tre, Lonnie , primo might have to fill in as main guard

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably just means Good Collins wants a fifth year and 8% raises while the Hawks want him to sign an offer sheet so it's 4 years with 4% raises. I wouldn't hold out any hope of the Spurs actually getting him.
    I think you're underestimating how cheap the Hawks are trying to go. IF the rumors are right, the Hawks want to keep him to less than $100M/4yrs. If I have my math right, The max the spurs can put on the table is $119M/4yrs, starting at $28M. The max the Hawks could put in front of him is $163M/5yrs. There is some wiggle room to work between the Hawks desired value, and what the spurs can offer (not a lot though).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I am not so sure they could renounce and still sign and trade. Renouncing loses all rights to a player including bird rights. A sign and trade then would be like sign and trading a random free agent which I don't think happens

Besides, Collins already turned down 4/90, Atlanta would easily match on 20.

With regards to your trade idea, it seems very inventive and I don't think I could imagine this Spurs front office doing it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are aiming for twin Collins.
    Or twin white guys.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have some stuff going for them right now. 1) There is a chance the lack of an offer to Collins will sour the Collins/Hawks relationship. 2) Some kind of DeMar sign and trade is more likely now that no one has money left. 3) Oubre + Mills or some such is still available if Hawks resign Collins. 4) Could do something like White + 2 picks for Simmons, if that is still in play. 5) Could go into season with 30M space to use in the future trade demand market.

White plus picks for Simmons is an offer I'd make. Not only would Spurs land Simmons, but they'd get another 12M or so in space they could use on the DeMar sign and trade market. They could turn that into Simmons and a rotation player.
    How does White for Simmons give them more cap space? It actually eliminates any Demar S&T because the Spurs would only have $12 million left to sign Demar with as they are operating under the cap.

They could technically do it if they did the McDermott and Collins signings last, but it would seriously limit how much salary they could take back in a Demar S&T.

Almost certain any deal involving Simmons would have to include Demar to make dollars work, or be a multi-team with Demar going elsewhere. I actually think Demar is a really interesting fit in Philly. He and White even more so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the Spurs putting together the CREAM* Team, Markkanen doesn't really fit so I'm skeptical he'd be a part of a DeRozan sign-and-trade. Markkanen has a rep of being aloof, lazy and someone who rolls his eyes at coaches. Thaddeus Young, on the other hand, would fit the CREAM Team. Everyone loves Thad.

So putting my CREAM hat on, I'd suspect something like Thad, Troy Brown Jr. and a second rounder for DeRozan in a sign-and-trade.

(*character over everything)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauri Markkanen is basically Saminic part 2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they really want JC at the max they do it.... if they don't see much difference between he and Lauri they probably do a straight S&T with Chicago and still have a little money left over (between 10M and 14M)... they could conceivably trade White or DJ to GS for Wiggins + assets if they wanted..... of course that requires creativity that we have yet to see...
    Agree..just depends on who SA actually values as a player? Lauri or Collins. I think since SA has the space they won’t care much about Collins being 28M vs Lauri being 15/18M…I think its who do they value as a player more?

Now, if CHI offers like 3 firsts for DDR then maybe that skews it as they view Lauri as solid but getting 3 extra picks or something. But IMO it’s which player do they want, Collins or Lauri more than anything else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not so sure they could renounce and still sign and trade. Renouncing loses all rights to a player including bird rights. A sign and trade then would be like sign and trading a random free agent which I don't think happens

Besides, Collins already turned down 4/90, Atlanta would easily match on 20.

With regards to your trade idea, it seems very inventive and I don't think I could imagine this Spurs front office doing it.

I am 100% certain you can renounce and trade still. The rights only matter with regards to in bent team wanting to resign said player using bird rights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Willing to bet we won't hear anything until the J. Collins situation is resolved. That's the main domino holding everything up

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the Spurs putting together the CREAM* Team, Markkanen doesn't really fit so I'm skeptical he'd be a part of a DeRozan sign-and-trade. Markkanen has a rep of being aloof, lazy and someone who rolls his eyes at coaches. Thaddeus Young, on the other hand, would fit the CREAM Team. Everyone loves Thad.

So putting my CREAM hat on, I'd suspect something like Thad, Troy Brown Jr. and a second rounder for DeRozan in a sign-and-trade.

I would even approve of that trade now. My expectations are so low that I just want Demar gone. If he's gone then this offseason was a success since with these CREAM guys the Spurs are going to get a high lottery pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information