Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    it was yesterday's nba to a tee as well

the only difference is that players have more power than they used to have
    Exactly

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Thinking back to that era...you had maybe 80% of the country loving Jordan regardless of who their team was and realizing this was some legendary ish they were watching in real time. Then the other 20% couldn't stand him because of his arrogance and because he didn't give anyone else a chance to ring. lefty falls into that category. Probably he liked one of this other stars like Ewing or Malone or someone and is a tad butthurt because Jordan slammed the door in all their faces
    No. Some people dislike Jordan because:

1. He's become overrated. People started to diminish his supporting cast that was the best in the league (and perfectly designed for him). And also started to overrate his skills (like saying that he was an elite passer, had great post defense against post-up guards kile Magic and Clyde Drexler, for example);

2. Some rules were changed to enhance his game (hand-checking, flagrant foul);

3. He received a lot of star-calls, whey more than Hakeem, Barkley, etc. Because of that, his accomplishments look a little bit tainted. 2 early fouls against other team's best defender - and MJ has a field day. 2-3 bad calls in his favor in an act of shooting - and his ppg and ts% goes way up. It's easier to become the best as the result - having the per game and advanced stats;

4. Advanced stats are changed in such a way that he comes up on top. Any. Way. Possible.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Well, if you want to see overrated look at some of today's big stat stuffing guys like Westbrick. A bunch of triple doubles that mean absolutely nothing.

Jordan did have an excellent supporting cast and I'm not sure who is/was undermining that fact. I think maybe you just mean it get's lost in the fray, which is sort of inevitable...

No. Some people dislike Jordan because:

1. He's become overrated. People started to diminish his supporting cast that was the best in the league (and perfectly designed for him). And also started to overrate his skills (like saying that he was an elite passer, had great post defense against post-up guards kile Magic and Clyde Drexler, for example);

2. Some rules were changed to enhance his game (hand-checking, flagrant foul);

3. He received a lot of star-calls, whey more than Hakeem, Barkley, etc. Because of that, his accomplishments look a little bit tainted. 2 early fouls against other team's best defender - and MJ has a field day. 2-3 bad calls in his favor in an act of shooting - and his ppg and ts% goes way up. It's easier to become the best as the result - having the per game and advanced stats;

4. Advanced stats are changed in such a way that he comes up on top. Any. Way. Possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is Todays NBA to a tee. Hardenburger, Lebron, Kyrie, Westbrook demanding trades......whaaaa, waaaaaa, waaaaa, trade me now, Im takin my toys and going home. At least the ol school players didnt eat their way into a trade.
    I’m not saying players don’t act like es today, they do, I’m just tired of hearing back in the good old days they didn’t do this and that which is not true

Barkley was fatter when he pushed for that Houston trade

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Well, if you want to see overrated look at some of today's big stat stuffing guys like Westbrick. A bunch of triple doubles that mean absolutely nothing.
    ah yes reminds me of previous era statstuffers like wilt, oscar, nique, dantley, english, among many others

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I’m not saying players don’t act like es today, they do, I’m just tired of hearing back in the good old days they didn’t do this and that which is not true

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This Tag Team approach of the players, is just killing the league anymore IMO.. And in basically the Lebron era he did start that in Miami.. But now all these guys just buddy up, work out over the summer, and want to play together. Having 1 Superstar mate used to be enough, now these guys wants Big 3's all conspiring to play together.. For me it becomes hard to truly evaluate a legacy in these times. Someone like KD a great player, is struggling to get over the hump in OKC. 1 finals appearance, a few conference finals appearances but no chip.. Then he hooks up with a 73 win team, and wins 2 with 2 finals MVP's.. Does that make him top 10-15 all time like some claim? Not IMO.. Now Harden after putting up massive numbers in Houston, winning scoring les, league MVP, with ZERO finals appearances, wants to try and win a few the easy way..

I love basketball, but this I just can't stand..

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    This Tag Team approach of the players, is just killing the league anymore IMO.. And in basically the Lebron era he did start that in Miami.. But now all these guys just buddy up, work out over the summer, and want to play together. Having 1 Superstar mate used to be enough, now these guys wants Big 3's all conspiring to play together.. For me it becomes hard to truly evaluate a legacy in these times. Someone like KD a great player, is struggling to get over the hump in OKC. 1 finals appearance, a few conference finals appearances but no chip.. Then he hooks up with a 73 win team, and wins 2 with 2 finals MVP's.. Does that make him top 10-15 all time like some claim? Not IMO.. Now Harden after putting up massive numbers in Houston, winning scoring les, league MVP, with ZERO finals appearances, wants to try and win a few the easy way..

having 1 superstar teammate was almost never enough, unless there was multiple other all-star level teammates

there have been anomalies here and there but through history it's pretty much always been 2-3 superstars, especially for teams that win multiple times

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

All of this, especially the bold tbh...ever since then you might as well call the NBA the National Buddy up Association

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ah yes reminds me of previous era statstuffers like wilt, oscar, nique, dantley, english, among many others
    and Michael Adams, Fat Lever, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All of this, especially the bold tbh...ever since then you might as well call the NBA the National Buddy up Association
    Calling BS on Lebron starting it

Boston did, and yes there were trades involved but let's not pretend Ray, KG and Pierce didn't have a group chat discussing about teaming up

And Lebron teamig up in Miami was a response to the creation of the big 3 in Boston
    He lost to them with a Cavs team in, a Cavs team he took to the FInals, and Gilbert did nothing to improve the team

Was he supposed to stay there and never win a le? but when it comes to MJ, it was poor MJ, his team is

MJ would have teamed up if it was easy back then, but it wasn't (CBAs, contract structures), let's not forget he publicly threw his FO under the bus

Magic said he wouldn't play for Chicago if the Bulls drafted him, because he wanted to play with Kareem and the Lakers

SUperteams were a thing before Lebron

And let's not forget fat Barkley pushing for trades TWICE in his career to join more talented teams

the bias and lack of facts from yesterday's NBA fans, SMH
    clinging to narratives
    Last edited by lefty; 01-15-2021 at 11:46 AM.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Calling BS on Lebron starting it

Boston did, and yes there were trades involved but let's not pretend Ray, KG and Pierce didn't have a group chat discussing about teaming up

And LEbron teamig up in Miami was a respone to the creation of the big 3 in Boston
    He lost to them with a Cavs team in, a Vacs team he took to the FInals, and GIlbert did nothing to improve the team

Was he supposed to stay there and enver win a le? but when t comes to MJ, it was poor MJ, his team is

MJ would have teamed up if it was easy back then, but it wasn't (CBAs, contract structures), let's not forget he publicly threw his FO under the bus

Magic said he wouldn't play for Chicago if the Bulls drafted him, because he wanted to play with Kareem and the Lakers

SUperteams were a thing before Lebron

And let's not forget fat Barkley pushing for trades TWICE in his career to join more talented teams

the bias and lack of facts from yesterday's NBA fans, SMH
    clinging to narratives
    not to mention failed superteam attempts with everyone going to houston in the 90s and then the malone/payton lakers in 04

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not to mention failed superteam attempts with everyone going to houston in the 90s and then the malone/payton lakers in 04
    This

Oh and let's not forget :

Defending 2 time MVP Moses Malone , le virgin teaming up with the 76ers superteam and le virgin Dr J

BUT TEAMING UP IS NEW

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    This

Oh and let's not forget :

Defending 2 time MVP Moses Malone , le virgin teaming up with the 76ers superteam and le virgin Dr J

BUT TEAMING UP IS NEW
    or wilt begging for a trade to join superstar duo west/baylor who were making the finals basically every single year in LA, but getting beat every year by another superteam steadily stacked with 4-5 superstars

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or wilt begging for a trade to join superstar duo west/baylor who were making the finals basically every single year in LA, but getting beat every year by another superteam steadily stacked with 4-5 superstars
    Exactly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Which is why I love my Spurs. They did it the more solid way. Draft picks and grabbing a couple of veterans through trades. 5X NBA Champs!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing that’s new in today’s though, if the reports were true, is strong arming to trade for specific teammates like Irving was allegedly doing. Can’t think of a previous instance like that.

Oh wait, Kobe and kidd. But the way Kobe did it was because he’s a warrior. Irving’s just being a shrimp.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    One thing that’s new in today’s though, if the reports were true, is strong arming to trade for specific teammates like Irving was allegedly doing. Can’t think of a previous instance like that.

Oh wait, Kobe and kidd. But the way Kobe did it was because he’s a warrior. Irving’s just being a shrimp.
    actually its well do ented mike tried to strong arm to get danny ainge and derek harper, among others

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    actually its well do ented mike tried to strong arm to get danny ainge and derek harper, among others
    Yep but ESPN doesn’t like to bring it uo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly didn’t know that. Mike want someone to bite his finger?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yesterday's NBA is more fun to watch but make no mistake about it - Yesterday's NBA plumbers would've been skullf***ed by today's players. Skill beats overrated "physicality". Patrick Ewing would be Roy Hibbert in today's nba. 80's and 90's plumbers would be run out of the f***ing gym
    Skill my ass. These s can't even pull up from midrange. Play man ball, and these limp wristers are in for a rude awakening.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Skill my ass. These s can't even pull up from midrange. Play man ball, and these limp wristers are in for a rude awakening.
    They can. Mid-range shots is just inneficient. Best midrange shooters score around 47-50% of their shots (it's 0,94-1 points per posession). Above average 3-point shooters score more than 36-37% of their shots (1,08-1,11 ppp) amd I'm not even talking about great shooters. 33% 3-point shooter is as eficient as 50% midrange-shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    having 1 superstar teammate was almost never enough, unless there was multiple other all-star level teammates

there have been anomalies here and there but through history it's pretty much always been 2-3 superstars, especially for teams that win multiple times
    2 at times.. Not 3. Now you have league MVP's, and scoring champs in their primes conspiring to play on a 3 person Super Team.. Players used to leave at the end of their prime trying to load up... Now they do it young, because they punk out and take no blame for a lack of team success.. KD, Kyrie and Harden all really need to play on the same team to beat a 36 year old Lebron with AD? Wow.. Sad beyond belief.. And again I give Harden, KD, and Kyrie little to no credit if they win. All you did was out-talent the league.

I am sure if Ewing called up Reggie, and Chuck to load up he'd have won himself a ring or two..

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    2 at times.. Not 3. Now you have league MVP's, and scoring champs in their primes conspiring to play on a 3 person Super Team.. Players used to leave at the end of their prime trying to load up... Now they do it young, because they punk out and take no blame for a lack of team success.. KD, Kyrie and Harden all really need to play on the same team to beat a 36 year old Lebron with AD? Wow.. Sad beyond belief.. And again I give Harden, KD, and Kyrie little to no credit if they win. All you did was out-talent the league.

I am sure if Ewing called up Reggie, and Chuck to load up he'd have won himself a ring or two..
    bird/mchale/parish

magic/kareem/worthy

mike/pip/rodman

just to name some well known trios

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yesterday's NBA is more fun to watch but make no mistake about it - Yesterday's NBA plumbers would've been skullf***ed by today's players. Skill beats overrated "physicality". Patrick Ewing would be Roy Hibbert in today's nba. 80's and 90's plumbers would be run out of the f***ing gym
    Uh the skill set is tad bit easier to display when you can't touch the offensive player.. The league changed the rules years ago to open the game up. Fans wanted offense. So they got it.. The rules allow for it.. Ewing in his prime was one of the great post shooting Centers of all time. And in an era of great physicality..

Thread Information