Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really? Athletic. Great character. Can score. Not sure about his defense. Can create his own shots. In his prime. I hope you guys don't want old farts like Pau over him.
    Nailed it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Covered that.

I watched him a lot in the playoffs. There were a lot of times when he took shots because he didn't have any choice. He was literally the only guy on the floor who could put the ball in the net. And his guys kept dumping the ball back on him with the clock running out. I know he's a volume shooter, but you can't look at a guy in a vacuum either.

Yeah, a lot of people over-value points, and under-value defense. I'm not one of those people. Danny needs to be on the team, and his $10M contract is going to look like chump change, especially if he keeps hitting his 3's like he did in the playoffs. BUT... that doesn't have anything to do with whether DeRozan would be a worthwhile roster addition, at the right price.

A lot of people also under-value shooting fouls drawn. It's one of the biggest holes in the Spurs' offense. And the value of being able to get to the line goes up an order of magnitude in the playoffs, when more of the games are close and hard-fought. The instinct is to try and use the 3 to close the gap in the last minutes of a close game. But there's no subs ute for scoring with the clock stopped. If the Spurs had DeRozan on the roster, they would have met the Warriors in the Conference Finals.

If he was surrounded by guys like Kawhi and LMA, would he keep being a volume chucker, or would he pass up some of those low-percentage shots? I honestly don't know. But his game has the potential to help those other guys be even more effective. I wouldn't over-pay for him, but I sure as wouldn't cliff-jump if the Spurs signed him.
    I miss this poster.

He's was known to have some cranky humor but knew his basketball.

Learned a lot from his posts over a couple of years.

Has not posted in a long time. May be rest in peace wherever he is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    too soon to bump imo
    So you already have your mind made up? You will wait and hope for DD to fall off and the spurs to go down too? smh haters be hating

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sure a lot of These posters with join date “July 2018” are derozan fans from raptors forum..lol
    yeah I came from REALGM. Was a poster there for 10 years. Had a pretty damn big fall off toward the end. Mods couldn't handle my Neutral approach. Everyone was acting like we already won the championship with Kawhi smh. Some good people there but a bunch of leftist liberal people who are most likely gots tbh

anyways I love this new board and I'm here to stay away from negative bipolar ungrateful idiot raptors fans

Dont @ me raptors fans.
    Last edited by Mirrornick; 11-01-2018 at 07:36 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sure a lot of These posters with join date “July 2018” are derozan fans from raptors forum..lol
    That's true there's a flurry of derozan player fans who weren't around or cared about the Spurs back then.
    New era...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I already have lowered expectations because of the team's defense. If he can produce an entertaining regular season I'll be happy. It would be way more than they would have gotten out of Ingram & Kuzma or Terry Rozier or Robert Covington or whatever other deals they could have had this summer.
    This is true as well.

Enjoy regular season derozan! .Perhaps he gets over his playoffs yips in the Spurs but if he doesn't well .... They weren't going to win a championship this year anyways...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gross with starting Mills tbh
    He's a roleplayer that gets exposed and gets worse the more minutes and better lineups you play him against.
    He thrived with Manu and was pretty good in 2015-2016 and 2016-2017. The issue with his signing wasn't his play in a vacuum; it was how much he cost and how that money was spread around. In 2015-2016, he was making like $3 Million and certainly pulled his weight next to Ginobili. I would not have wanted him to start, but it would have worked out considering Tony hadn't been much better and that Green and Anderson were still on the roster and able to also cover up his defensive weaknesses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think people realize how much fool's gold DeRozan is. He's the two-guard version of Carlos Boozer -- at best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we could have won the le the next season if we had derozan/kawhi/LA ..
    I certainly think they would have had the talent for it, especially had they let go of Tony instead of Green. Question would have been fit. 2016 was still a year where Leonard was growing into his game, and he wasn't (and still isn't) very good at getting others involved. Aldridge was upset about not getting first-option touches, and I don't know that DeRozan would have helped by getting him better looks or hurt by using more possessions.

Tony used 708 possessions that year (estimate) compared to DeRozan's 2025 (also estimate). We're talking about a player whose touches rivaled Kawhi's and Aldridge's put together. He would have had to have taken a big step back in usage to accommodate two stars, and the bench would have also been affected. Seeing how good the bench was and how far the Spurs ended up going anyway, that type of production swap is not to be taken lightly. DeRozan also only had 290 assists that year against Tony's 285, so it's not like DeMar was a natural play-maker at the time.

Looking back now, I definitely do still get where I was coming from. My main horse that year was Eric Gordon. I thought SA could get him for $8-10 Million APY. He ended up going for $12 Million to Houston. It would have been a decent contract. He is a good player, and he would have helped the team pretty directly. I was willing to have West come back and start to save cap space for the next summer or I was also keen on giving Terrance Jones or Jared Sullinger long-term deals. In short, it was a mix of good and bad ideas. Gasol was okay, though, and Dedmon and Lee ended up giving good-to-great minutes for the team that year. DeRozan as he was back then was a real risk to the team. , only now, this DeRozan -- this year -- is he really playing a style that would have made sense to move so many pieces for. Had he been 15/16 DeRozan on a max salary, it may well have ended up worse.

EDIT to add in the relevant player stat comp: https://www.basketball-reference.com...01&idx=players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are quoting that statement, but I think the more interesting (laughable but also worthy of discussion) is when I said:

Four years ago, this might have been appropriate. But DeRozan has developed very poorly since then.
    You can go back to I think the trade thread in the TT where I was actually a fan of DeRozan back in 2013. 2013 saw an oversized guard with defensive potential and driving ability. I wanted the Spurs to trade for him to develop his three-and-D game alongside Leonard to make the wing duo of the future. 2016 me saw a poor defender and three-point shooter who dominated the ball and felt like he had developed poorly. I was right, under the standard that my wishes for him were all that mattered. In reality, DeRozan developed a ton in that time and would develop more over the next two years. He didn't develop modern habits, but he did develop an iso game which should age well and a play-making ability that a lot of PGs envy. Considering what 2016 actually wanted, DeRozan was actually on the path to being almost and ideal guard. That's why my above comment is laughable. The reasons why I didn't want him were true and are still somewhat true. But there were so many reasons I should have wanted him that I just didn't know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My opinion on this subject is that he might be worth a try.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you already have your mind made up? You will wait and hope for DD to fall off and the spurs to go down too? smh haters be hating
    I'm rooting for Demar, big fan, but my concerns in this thread were about Playoff Derozen, hence why it's too soon.

Would it have worked out? Who knows. Kawhi might have demanded a trade sooner if we brought in another #1 option right at the beginning of his prime. Otoh, maybe they would have gelled nicely and we end the Warriors dynasty right there.

Regardless, the context of how/why we would have acquired Derozen in 2016 is worlds apart from the context of how/why we acquired him this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These DeRozan fanboys are going all-out in November I wonder why..I hope they're still around in May..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't post in this thread at that time but I gotta side with the folks not wanting him back then. Getting DeRozan back in 2016 made no ing sense. Pairing a high usage player that couldn't shoot with Kawhi and Aldridge was a terrible idea. I don't know why some folks are laughing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm rooting for Demar, big fan, but my concerns in this thread were about Playoff Derozen, hence why it's too soon.

Would it have worked out? Who knows. Kawhi might have demanded a trade sooner if we brought in another #1 option right at the beginning of his prime. Otoh, maybe they would have gelled nicely and we end the Warriors dynasty right there.

Regardless, the context of how/why we would have acquired Derozen in 2016 is worlds apart from the context of how/why we acquired him this year.
    There is 0% chance you would have signed DD back in 2016. He didn't meet with any teams. 1 minute into the free agency period, he signed his contract with Toronto indicating he wants to retire a Raptor.

Msg to GNSF; Be Bold Immortal Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been on these forums officially since 2012 my other account is raybies... and i stumbled upon this thread while searching for something else... it was purely chance. had no ill will by bumping it,, just wanted to have a good laugh w the guys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is 0% chance you would have signed DD back in 2016. He didn't meet with any teams. 1 minute into the free agency period, he signed his contract with Toronto indicating he wants to retire a Raptor.
    That's likely true. The context of this thread was a rumor that some 2016 FA wanted to come to SA first and Toronto second. This was one of a few threads were we discussed this rumor as we tried to figure out who that guy would be. It's like the rumor this year that PATFO was willing to make a trade for a third star had Kawhi committed. Anyway, the 2016 FA was probably David Lee, when looking at how it actually worked out. This list also looked a lot like Kyle Lowry's list from 2017 (not reported, just from speculation), so maybe there was some murkiness there. In any event, DeRozan didn't seem inclined to leave Toronto. You're correct. But this thread was made under the assumption that he wanted SA above all other teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cheer up ya'll, forget about Durant. DEROZAN IS COMING! .
    Ice009 is a prophet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's likely true. The context of this thread was a rumor that some 2016 FA wanted to come to SA first and Toronto second. This was one of a few threads were we discussed this rumor as we tried to figure out who that guy would be. It's like the rumor this year that PATFO was willing to make a trade for a third star had Kawhi committed. Anyway, the 2016 FA was probably David Lee, when looking at how it actually worked out. This list also looked a lot like Kyle Lowry's list from 2017 (not reported, just from speculation), so maybe there was some murkiness there. In any event, DeRozan didn't seem inclined to leave Toronto. You're correct. But this thread was made under the assumption that he wanted SA above all other teams.
    You take back your comment when you said " i'll take Kevin Martin over Derozan "

Take it back...

DeBack...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Literally would want Kevin Martin back over him.
    I don't think people realize how much fool's gold DeRozan is. He's the two-guard version of Carlos Boozer -- at best.
    My worst take was still wanting Splitter over Aldridge in 2014. DeRozan has gotten better, but I also didn't understand how much Pop would be able to alter what he did to get the most out of him. I'm glad that I was wrong.

Still, it's in bad taste for someone to dig up old threads to laugh at takes when they weren't here to make their own.
    Kevin Martin? Two guard version of Carlos Boozer? How the the can you call these takes. They're more like a series of mini strokes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kevin Martin? Two guarded version of Carlos Boozer?
    Chinook needs to make an apology to DeRozan thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You take back your comment when you said " i'll take Kevin Martin over Derozan "

Take it back...

DeBack...
    Kevin Martin is easily my least favorite Spur ever. DeMar could literally shoot up the team at practice and not draw as much ire as Martin did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kevin Martin? Two guard version of Carlos Boozer? How the the can you call these takes. They're more like a series of mini strokes.
    I see the mention of poor taste brought you to this thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I certainly think they would have had the talent for it, especially had they let go of Tony instead of Green. Question would have been fit. 2016 was still a year where Leonard was growing into his game, and he wasn't (and still isn't) very good at getting others involved. Aldridge was upset about not getting first-option touches, and I don't know that DeRozan would have helped by getting him better looks or hurt by using more possessions.

Tony used 708 possessions that year (estimate) compared to DeRozan's 2025 (also estimate). We're talking about a player whose touches rivaled Kawhi's and Aldridge's put together. He would have had to have taken a big step back in usage to accommodate two stars, and the bench would have also been affected. Seeing how good the bench was and how far the Spurs ended up going anyway, that type of production swap is not to be taken lightly. DeRozan also only had 290 assists that year against Tony's 285, so it's not like DeMar was a natural play-maker at the time.

Looking back now, I definitely do still get where I was coming from. My main horse that year was Eric Gordon. I thought SA could get him for $8-10 Million APY. He ended up going for $12 Million to Houston. It would have been a decent contract. He is a good player, and he would have helped the team pretty directly. I was willing to have West come back and start to save cap space for the next summer or I was also keen on giving Terrance Jones or Jared Sullinger long-term deals. In short, it was a mix of good and bad ideas. Gasol was okay, though, and Dedmon and Lee ended up giving good-to-great minutes for the team that year. DeRozan as he was back then was a real risk to the team. , only now, this DeRozan -- this year -- is he really playing a style that would have made sense to move so many pieces for. Had he been 15/16 DeRozan on a max salary, it may well have ended up worse.

EDIT to add in the relevant player stat comp: https://www.basketball-reference.com...01&idx=players

Yup it may not work because kawhi and LA wants their touches too..no one wants to sacrifice..

but but still a derozan/kawhi/LA can beat anybody in the league..
    Last edited by skin27; 11-01-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Thread Information