Page 56 of 115 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2866
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doncic's breaking Kobe's record against us then...

I just want someone to show me tape of Vassell guarding a legit >6'7" and >220 lb forward (or guard, whatever) because Spurs fans really think he's good at doing that.
    Doncic has been amazing the first two games against the Clippers. They have played him dirty and have thrown everybody at him but he continues to get wherever he wants to go on the court and whatever shot he wants. If he scorches the Clippers again in game 3 then it will show the Clippers have no answer for him.

Anyways I don't know much about Vassell or any of these other prospects. I just want a legit 3-D guy at the SF spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade - everyone. Do not continue next season with the same garbage veterans struggling to fight for an 8th seed. Accept the reality that you're done, and get ahead of the curve. Do not settle and buy into low rate chuckers with no spine. Sorry Aldridge, you are as soft as a babies diaper. DeRozan, you're not the face of a franchise, you're barely a 7th option for a quality team. GET OUT!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you have 5 Tony Allens on defense you are getting torched, imho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    which 2 months?

Silver says he's thinking 1 Dec is too early, but no decision.

Probably 300K+ dead from Trash-Made Pandemic by 3 Nov,

maybe more when the flu season is supposed to make it all worse.
    What? I thought it was already set that the NBA draft was in October. Thats what I was referring to.

Theres going to be a lot of back and forth about prospects from now and until then

From now on, my automatic response for Vassell fans will be this:

Show me tape of Vassell guarding a >6'7" and >220 lb player and being good at it.

Spurs fans really believe he is good 3 and D vs small forwards. He isnt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you have 5 Tony Allens on defense you are getting torched, imho.
    But what if the opponent also has 5 Tony Allens?

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To get whom? It's not worth it, imho.
    i honestly just want LA traded lol. GS are the only ones in the top 5 that would rather have a veteran imo than a rookie so they can compete. maybe phoenix will trade LA for #10. a new direction with the franchise is needed with DW as the centerpiece. being mediocre with LA and DeMar isnt what im used to as a spurs fan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What? I thought it was already set that the NBA draft was in October. Thats what I was referring to.

Theres going to be a lot of back and forth about prospects from now and until then

From now on, my automatic response for Vassell fans will be this:

Show me tape of Vassell guarding a >6'7" and >220 lb player and being good at it.

Spurs fans really believe he is good 3 and D vs small forwards. He isnt.
    All of Vassell's defensive metrics are elite, tbh. I made a comparisson of my favourite targets at 11. Vassell came up on top.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/com...trick-williams

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All of Vassell's defensive metrics are elite, tbh. I made a comparisson of my favourite targets at 11. Vassell came up on top.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/com...trick-williams
    Elite metrics by defending guards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If people would stop calling Vassell the "SF we need" and instead the "Guard we need" maybe I'd be more fine with it. People need to be honest. You might as well call Vassell a guard because he defends guards, not forwards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Elite metrics by defending guards.
    I've started watching some Florida State full games. I've seen 3 or 4, they play a lot of full court press zone defense which means they end up match crossing all around the court. When they play man they also switch a lot. Many times Vassell would end up in the post guarding a guy much bigger than him and he more than holds his own with those longs arms, quickness and leaping ability. Per 36 minutes he averaged only 0.1 less rebounds than Williams and only 0.5 less blocks. So, if there's such a length difference, as you seem to believe, it isn't reflected on the numbers.

The way I see it, Vassell > Williams in terms of defense. Whatever advantage Patrick might have banging down low, Vassell more than makes up for it with his great perimeter defense and crisp defensive rotations (Williams is very shaky on these two areas). What makes Williams a better prospect than Vassell is his offensive potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If people would stop calling Vassell the "SF we need" and instead the "Guard we need" maybe I'd be more fine with it. People need to be honest. You might as well call Vassell a guard because he defends guards, not forwards.
    Wait, you were arguing with me that Keldon could play SF, but don't think Vassell can?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've started watching some Florida State full games. I've seen 3 or 4, they play a lot of full court press zone defense which means they end up match crossing all around the court. When they play man they also switch a lot. Many times Vassell would end up in the post guarding a guy much bigger than him and he more than holds his own with those longs arms, quickness and leaping ability. Per 36 minutes he averaged only 0.1 less rebounds than Williams and only 0.5 less blocks. So, if there's such a length difference, as you seem to believe, it isn't reflected on the numbers.

The way I see it, Vassell > Williams in terms of defense. Whatever advantage Patrick might have banging down low, Vassell more than makes up for it with his great perimeter defense and crisp defensive rotations (Williams is very shaky on these two areas). What makes Williams a better prospect than Vassell is his offensive potential.
    Show me links and if youre too lazy to give a time stamp, tell me the quarters where you say hes defending forwards and being proficient at it. By hold his own, you probably mean stays in position? Does he cause them to miss? These are things I doubt you saw thats why Im asking you for links. Vassell's decent defensive stats come from switching onto the guards, not the taller players.

Comparing per 36 matters much less as the minutes played goes down. Thats such an unreliable stat between these two players (and especially Pat) because of that reason and the offensive/ defensive schemes they were playing it. Not sure why you are bothering with it

You can literally make a 10 minute player look elite using per 36. Just like how Spurs fans did with Boban.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we're trusting internet doctors?
    Yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait, you were arguing with me that Keldon could play SF, but don't think Vassell can?
    What Keldon lacks in length or size he makes up with his strength and standing reach. Im not sure if youve noticed but the way Keldon defends is always with his hands up, instead of horizontal like with Kawhi. Thats because of his above average standing reach. As far as strength goes, we all know Keldon's nickname...

Vassell has neither of these things. (Standing reach TBD). But even then i dont expect Keldon to guard forwards full time. My argument then was just that he CAN. Unlike Vassell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Show me links and if youre too lazy to give a time stamp, tell me the quarters where you say hes defending forwards and being proficient at it. By hold his own, you probably mean stays in position? Does he cause them to miss? These are things I doubt you saw thats why Im asking you for links. Vassell's decent defensive stats come from switching onto the guards, not the taller players.

Comparing per 36 matters much less as the minutes played goes down. Thats such an unreliable stat between these two players (and especially Pat) because of that reason and the offensive/ defensive schemes they were playing it. Not sure why you are bothering with it
    Dude, I'm not taking the time to re-watch the games just to give you exact time stamps . Just Youtube "Floride State basketball full games" and watch a little. If you fast forward through all the stops and the moments Vassell isn't on the court, it won't take you more than half an hour to watch his full game. Take advantage of these COVID times son.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, I'm not taking the time to re-watch the games just to give you exact time stamps . Just Youtube "Floride State basketball full games" and watch a little. If you fast forward through all the stops and the moments Vassell isn't on the court, it won't take you more than half an hour to watch his full game. Take advantage of these COVID times son.
    I see you won't do what I would do for you. I see how it is...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Keldon lacks in length or size he makes up with his strength and standing reach. Im not sure if youve noticed but the way Keldon defends is always with his hands up, instead of horizontal like with Kawhi. Thats because of his above average standing reach. As far as strength goes, we all know Keldon's nickname...

Vassell has neither of these things. (Standing reach TBD). But even then i dont expect Keldon to guard forwards full time. My argument then was just that he CAN. Unlike Vassell.
    Standing reach is pretty much height + wingspan (arms length). Seeing how Vassell has Keldon beat on those two aspects, I'm gonna go ahead and safely assume that Vassell's standing reach > Keldon's. And I don't think it's particularly close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, so I just skimmed through full games against North Carolina and Louisville and there are literally no instance where Devin made an impact against forwards. There was an instance where he was being shoved around. Did you seriously just say you saw him holding his own for the sake of replying to me? I dont know how you were watching these and tell me that he holds his own and cant come up with any examples. You cant even tell me a team. I smell bull ...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we gonna draft Beverly or the Unicorn Alex.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Standing reach is pretty much height + wingspan (arms length). Seeing how Vassell has Keldon beat on those two aspects, I'm gonna go ahead and safely assume that Vassell's standing reach > Keldon's. And I don't think it's particularly close.
    This is all moot point when you refer to listed height as your trusted source, when Keldon has said he was 6'6" and growing, you've refused to acknowledge it and kept saying he's 6'5"... So i think we're going to end up in another rabbit hole here that we don't need to further our conversation in this subject.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SI just released their latest mock draft and they have us getting Patrick Williams:
    "11. Spurs: Patrick Williams, F, Florida State
    Height: 6’8” | Weight: 225 | Age: 18 | Freshman

With several promising perimeter players already on the roster, the Spurs can focus on the frontcourt here. Scouts are enticed by Williams’ physical tools, shooting potential and all-around upside, despite a lack of consistent production in his lone college season. He’s one of the youngest players in the draft, but still a ways off from being a significant contributor. Teams with strong reputations for player development should feel comfortable with Williams in this range, and San Antonio would be a pretty ideal landing spot."

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/08/21/nb...es-win-lottery

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, so I just skimmed through full games against North Carolina and Louisville and there are literally no instance where Devin made an impact against forwards. There was an instance where he was being shoved around. Did you seriously just say you saw him holding his own for the sake of replying to me? I dont know how you were watching these and tell me that he holds his own and cant come up with any examples. Not even a team. I smell bull ...
    Skimmed through two games worth of sample in a 10 minutes period? That's how you do your scouting son?

Look, this seems like another instance in which we won't be seeing eye to eye. Don't take it personal, breathe, take your time and focus your attention to other more productive actions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is all moot point when you refer to listed height as your trusted source, when Keldon has said he was 6'6" and growing, you've refused to acknowledge it and kept saying he's 6'5"... So i think we're going to end up in another rabbit hole here that we don't need to further our conversation in this subject.
    Not true, I conceded he might be 6'6". That's still not as tall as Vassell.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, but they might do Murray and Gay along with 11 for 2 and Wiggins.
    Would the Spurs do that, though?
    In my opinion, that trade would make sense for the Spurs......if they can move DeRozen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SI just released their latest mock draft and they have us getting Patrick Williams:
    "11. Spurs: Patrick Williams, F, Florida State
    Height: 6’8” | Weight: 225 | Age: 18 | Freshman

With several promising perimeter players already on the roster, the Spurs can focus on the frontcourt here. Scouts are enticed by Williams’ physical tools, shooting potential and all-around upside, despite a lack of consistent production in his lone college season. He’s one of the youngest players in the draft, but still a ways off from being a significant contributor. Teams with strong reputations for player development should feel comfortable with Williams in this range, and San Antonio would be a pretty ideal landing spot."

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/08/21/nb...es-win-lottery
    At that spot, Williams is starting to become more and more like a no-brainer, tbh.

Thread Information