Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some organizations the owner(s) have a strict "We do the finances, we do not do any of the sports decision period. Leave that up to coaches and GMs."
    Other owners, like Jerrah Jones are completely involved in decision making. To the Cowboys detriment we might add. However there must be some teams where ownerships involvement has ben invaluable to the teams success.

Witness Spurs recent past and present.
    All but the sniffiest of sniffers have realized that Pop doesn't just need to move on, he needed to some time ago. We can argue if that was after the 2014 GOAT level team, 2015 or if you believe the 2017 team was headed to another legit Chip then pehaps it justfied Pop staying on past '14.

Regardless of those years, if you think Pop should have continued on during the Bryn Forbes, Fiddy Mil Patty and Payo Gasol extortion eras, you sir and madams are either a hard core sniffer or simply do not have any BBIQ. Indeed the past two years, and especially this season has seen even hardened sniffers saying it's time for Pop to move on.

So, since he will not and since he is surrounded by Yes Men and Women (slays me to say this but even Timmy Dunkar went along with Bryn starting fertilizer) thus is this where ownership needs to step in (behind the scenes) and right the ship. Management simply has not acted*. *Unless ordered by Holts etc not to.

We've seen in both the bubble and the recent Phoenix game what this young core can do when unrestrained of Pops meddling. Don't attempt to attribute one iota of the bubble success to Pop. He was absolutely doing to play Softridge, Patty and Bryn Bryn before injuries took out 2 of 3. The bubble playing time was 100% cir stantial and coincidental yet we were shown what potential existed. As with the Phoenix game.

So, again, can and more importantly will Ownership get involved in getting a present NBA successful level coach installed? Give Pop some flowery le and all the pomp and charade necessary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bandwidth savers:

Pop won 5 les with Tim Duncan and Spurs regular season win % was the best in that timeframe.

Spurs had the most successful franchise with Tim Duncan as core for 19 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can - yes. Will they - ? Ask them how much they can save by dumping Pop, both as HC and Director of Player Personnel. Give a bump in pay to Hammond and a new contract, and give Barry the reigns on Personnel so he can fire Wright and get a new GM who knows what they are doing. It would be cheaper than what Pop has done over the last 3 years!! Also, tell Barry that RC won't be up his butt either, or the Holts will slash more overhead.

It depends on what the Holts want! Not Pop or RC ... what do the Holts F'ing want to build with this franchise!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bandwidth savers:

Pop won 5 les with Tim Duncan and Spurs regular season win % was the best in that timeframe.

Spurs had the most successful franchise with Tim Duncan as core for 19 years.
    I think Tim Duncan is the keyword in those statements.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just because Pop isn't coaching in the near future, does that also mean he is not involved in BB decisions?

He may have sway after the coaching job turns over to someone else.

It's going to be difficult to get this going in a new, positive direction with the current cast of characters in place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just because Pop isn't coaching in the near future, does that also mean he is not involved in BB decisions?

He may have sway after the coaching job turns over to someone else.

It's going to be difficult to get this going in a new, positive direction with the current cast of characters in place.
    Excellent point.
    His "Chief of all things Spurs Basketball" or whatever le and position he was given years ago.
    Fark, he be no longer be coach but still hold this le and influence.
    Wow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    30 omg years coaching and managing an NBA elite franchise. He earned every ing bit of it. No one else comes close for what he provides.
    That is the conundrum isn't it? If Pop was thrown out of the organization (which WILL not happen) he now a new legion of fans in the MS media. They would attack team management.

I understand Pop gets and deserves special consideration for his outstanding career in San Antonio. I'll be happy if can turn some of the young guys currently here into tier one players. The big dog for the Spurs is not on the current roster IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    30 omg years coaching and managing an NBA elite franchise. He earned every ing bit of it. No one else comes close for what he provides.
    I would agree with this. Pop leaves me scratching my head a lot of times lately with some of his coaching decisions, or lack thereof, but if he wants to drive this bus for the next five or six years, he's earned the right.

A part of me wishes he'd pull a Pat Riley and let a smart, young, hungry coach walk the sidelines while he's pulling the strings behind the scenes. But maybe that idea doesn't excite Pop.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's regime controls all levels of the Spurs. His puppet Buford was recently installed as the CEO of the entire Spurs organization. Together, those two have hired yes men at all positions including GM(Brian Wright) down to the assistant coaches(Becky and her crew of spineless nobodies). Pop will only leave on his own terms. No one can force him out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's regime controls all levels of the Spurs. His puppet Buford was recently installed as the CEO of the entire Spurs organization. Together, those two have hired yes men at all positions including GM(Brian Wright) down to the assistant coaches(Becky and her crew of spineless nobodies). Pop will only leave on his own terms. No one can force him out.
    The Holts could fire him tomorrow, if they wanted. Even RC reports to the ownership group, and the Holts are the managing partners, the largest shareholders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can - yes. Will they - ?
    It depends on what the Holts want! Not Pop or RC ... what do the Holts F'ing want to build with this franchise!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is a dictator. He literally made himself the HC through a coup and then became the ruler of the San Antonio Spurs. He then proceeded to censor local media, but wants to bash Trump. Such a hypocrite on all levels

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is a dictator. He literally made himself the HC through a coup ...
    Lets not be quite so revisionist with our history. First, Pop was the Spurs GM who hired coach Hill in the first place. Then when the Spurs went 3 and 15 to start the season, a move HAD to be made. Hill had to go.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is a dictator. He literally made himself the HC through a coup and then became the ruler of the San Antonio Spurs. He then proceeded to censor local media, but wants to bash Trump. Such a hypocrite on all levels

mah president

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

he made himself head coach when the players came to him and said either you fire Hill or we publicly call for it ala Brian Hill and the Magic.

so, try again,

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Holts could fire him tomorrow, if they wanted. Even RC reports to the ownership group, and the Holts are the managing partners, the largest shareholders.

his father and luckily it seems the son (a Stephen Jackson fan, aka the kid wearing the 3 jersey in game 6 vs Dallas)
    Have the same at ude. Let the basketball guys make the decisions, and we pay the bills.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another "i am miserable" thread.

Op's ideal owner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rankingtear gets a tingling up his canal when seeing this:

his father and luckily it seems the son (a Stephen Jackson fan, aka the kid wearing the 3 jersey in game 6 vs Dallas)
    Have the same at ude. Let the basketball guys make the decisions, and we pay the bills.
    Basketball decisions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he made himself head coach when the players came to him and said either you fire Hill or we publicly call for it ala Brian Hill and the Magic.

so, try again,
    bull , even the players said they were surprised Hill got fired and most Spurs fans were calling for Pop‘s head at that time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets not be quite so revisionist with our history. First, Pop was the Spurs GM who hired coach Hill in the first place. Then when the Spurs went 3 and 15 to start the season, a move HAD to be made. Hill had to go.
    yeah and the GM made himself the coach instead of hiring another one just to go 17-47 which is so much better

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah and the GM made himself the coach instead of hiring another one just to go 17-47 which is so much better
    DRob was supposed to return in December. He did, but he then had the first of his back issues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bull , even the players said they were surprised Hill got fired and most Spurs fans were calling for Pop‘s head at that time
    It wasn’t all of them. DRob, Sean, Avery, and NONE of them are going to admit to it. Hill was a beyotch who took credit for the wins, but threw individual players under the bus when they lost. That was pretty much the end of his career.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

can call bull all you want. Heard it straight from people that knew at the time’s mouths.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn’t all of them. DRob, Sean, Avery, and NONE of them are going to admit to it. Hill was a beyotch who took credit for the wins, but threw individual players under the bus when they lost. That was pretty much the end of his career.

correct. When they lost to the jazz, and Hill threw guys under the bus, they were done with him then. Pop asked the big guys to give him a little more time, they did, they finally had their fill when he never changed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DRob was supposed to return in December. He did, but he then had the first of his back issues.
    To clarify, DRob was supposed to return in December no matter who was coaching, right?
    So the thinking that CIA Pops 17-47 wasn't much better then Hills start stands.

Hill had to go, got it. Sounds like damn near anyone could have been Tank Commander after Hill left. Pop filled the role nicely.

In a way, great thing CIA Pop or whomever would have been coaching at the time lost / tanked because it ='d Timmy Dunkar.

Thread Information