Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tiny archibald
    Jo Jo White rpleaces rondo and smart
    I would prefer a Jo Jo White, Sam Jones, or Danny Ainge over Marcus Smart.
    But I'd keep Rajon Rondo over Tiny Archibald. You don't want an over dribbler / shoot-first PG with all those weapons.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Today's Celtics destroy that starting 5.
    No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would prefer a Jo Jo White, Sam Jones or Danny Ainge over Marcus Smart.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've went overboard with your fanatical belief in today's players being so much better than those of yesteryear.

Three HOF'ers >>> Career 37.6 FG Shooter

Actually, Ainge ain't in BB HOF (Should be; but he is in Oregon Sports HOF).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously? Havlicek and Cousy?

Bird sure... maybe Russell in his prime.

These guys are compared to their own peers, in their own eras. No way in those guys have anywhere near the skill and handles required to compete against players and schemes today. Most of them would foul out against James Harden right away.

Cousy

Havlicek

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have to face stuff like this

no

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously? Havlicek and Cousy?

Bird sure... maybe Russell in his prime.

These guys are compared to their own peers, in their own eras. No way in those guys have anywhere near the skill and handles required to compete against players and schemes today. Most of them would foul out against James Harden right away.

Cousy

Havlicek

I can see people thinking those guys wouldn't measure up.
    It's hard to determine because the ball from the 60's is vastly inferior to later NBA balls.
    It's probably where the term "the rock" comes from.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have to face stuff like this

no
    Defense is about positioning. You're putting too much stock in fancy dribbling and soaring dunks, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defense is about positioning. You're putting too much stock in fancy dribbling and soaring dunks, tbh.
    Just look at that traffic cone defense in the black and white video with Havlicek

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could you imagine the feast Kawhi would have guarding Cousy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cousey is a stretch
    Havlicek would be effective
    JoJo White is way better than Smart or Rondo as is Tiny Archibald

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could you imagine the feast Kawhi would have guarding Cousy?
    nah bro, Cousy would drop 60 pts on Kawhi

Cuz tough real men herp derp ! logic!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cousey is a stretch
    Havlicek would be effective
    JoJo White is way better than Smart or Rondo as is Tiny Archibald

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just look at that traffic cone defense in the black and white video with Havlicek
    Most dribbling now would've been a violation back in the day.

Cousy was clearly an elite PG back in his day. It wouldn't suprise me if all external factors being equal he had more agility and speed than a Nash.

Hondo is an all-time scorer even now without the benefits that today's players enjoy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Cousy was clearly an elite PG back in his day. It wouldn't suprise me if all external factors being equal he had more agility and speed than a Nash.

Hondo is an all-time scorer even now without the benefits that today's players enjoy.
    Well sure, in the very beginning James Naismith was the GOAT but if you're building an all time team you have to consider where the bar is now.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well sure, in the very beginning James Naismith was the GOAT but if you're building an all time team you have to consider where the bar is now.
    Namath played with a bulkier ball and did not have the benefit of all the advancements in sports either (gear, nutrition, field, medical, fitness, etc.).
    Just look at football equipment in 90s vs today even.

But Namath was never a great in the first place. He just won a Super Bowl and was a cult of personality from there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Just because they dribbled like math teachers whose bowels were about to explode doesn’t mean they would have been good today

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs:

Timmy
    D Rob
    Gervin
    The Claw
    Tony Parker

Manu as my 6th

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Namath played with a bulkier ball and did not have the benefit of all the advancements in sports either (gear, nutrition, field, medical, fitness, etc.).

But Namath was never a great in the first place. He just won a Super Bowl and was a cult of personality from there.

Naismith, not Namath. Naismith invented basketball.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't figure you were going with a guy who was never a pro player.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

derp derpin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm saying before anyone else touched a ball, James Naismith was the best to ever play. So if we want to keep going back in time to reduce the field to only white men who dribble with one hand and look at the ball while doing so, we can do that but the all time team won't have anything to do with fielding the best possible team of the group of past/present players. As we move forward, we might not like the new stars but the odds are they will be more skilled than their predecessors.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I'm saying before anyone else touched a ball, James Naismith was the best to ever play. So if we want to keep going back in time to reduce the field to only white men who dribble with one hand and look at the ball while doing so, we can do that but the all time team won't have anything to do with fielding the best possible team of the group of past/present players. As we move forward, we might not like the new stars but the odds are they will be more skilled than their predecessors.
    tbh youre expecting too much if you think derp will be able to comprehend this

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's absurdum reductio, tbh.

I'm okay with the premise that players are more athletic today than in the past.
    But if we're going to compare, we should consider where a particular athlete would be whether put into the future or back into the past.
    The given player should be a recipient of said advantages or disadvantages.
    A Bob Cousy could've very well did all the funky dribbling in our time.
    It's silly to think there isn't going to be a level of adaptation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's absurdum reductio, tbh.

I'm okay with the premise that players are more athletic today than in the past.
    But if we're going to compare, we should consider where a particular athlete would be whether put into the future or back into the past.
    The given player should be a recipient of said advantages or disadvantages.
    A Bob Cousy could've very well did all the funky dribbling in our time.
    It's silly to think there isn't going to be a level of adaptation.
    Putting Bob Cousy in the same starting lineup as Larry Bird, KG and Paul Pierce is as silly as putting Charles Atlas in today's Mr Universe. There's no reason to think Charles Atlas couldn't have juiced and bulked to stupidity, but like Cousy there's simply no reason to think that, even if he did, at his very best, he'd be anywhere close to today's stars. You're adding Cousy based on his attributes, not on his projected growth. His attributes against an comparatively miniscule field of compe ion where some 1st round picks never played a single game, electing instead to teach HS ball.

Back then NBA championship teams were getting schooled by the Harlem Globetrotters. The 1st black man drafted into the NBA went in the 2nd round. Can you imagine today having the entire 1st round nothing but uncoordinated, unathletic white men?
    Last edited by DMC; 05-18-2021 at 12:48 AM.

Thread Information