Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    In Manu we STILL trust! rayray2k8's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are they just making up with rumors now?
    Its pure bull . Like someone said earlier, they're using the "spurs have interests in (insert player here)" card to
    pressure certain teams to make a move.
    The problem is, it usually works....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An article about Josh Smith from 10 days ago:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...ruths-deadline

The huge edge Spurs have other some other teams is that they can offer Altanta exactly what they want with Jackson big expiring contract. A Spurs offer around Jackson would be 10 times more appealing for hawks than a Nets offer around Humphries.
    What edge are you talking about? What motivation would the hawks have to make this trade, unless the spurs threw in other assets? Smith's deal expires at the end of the year and they'll probably just let him walk. Some team is going to have to offer an attractive package to get the hawks to do anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we can get him without giving TD/TP/MG/TS/KY...

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well he is a Spur material... Shooting 50% from the FT line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a poker move. First the Spurs want Jefferson, but don't offer enough so Utah bluffs and says we are keeping Jefferson and offering up Milsap. So, now the Spurs have to show their attention elsewhere. In the end who knows what they want. They may just want to stand pat and drive the price up for everyone else.
    Yep, there are likely some negotiation tactics behind some of these rumors. And regarding this rumor, I wouldn't be shocked that the leak comes from Spurs and has arrived to Marc J. Spears ears through Ludden.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is that Buford is just doing Ferry a solid by trying to up Smith's trade value.

Honestly, I just don't like Josh Smith's fit on this team. He's a ball-stopper who takes horribly inefficient shots at inopportune times. He'd be great on the defensive end but I'd guess that the Spurs would give it back on the offensive end with Smith in the game. It'd also be a big gamble and would cause the Spurs to have to rework their offense because Smith standing out on the perimeter playing off the Big 3 would lead to an epic failure. It could work but that's an awfully big risk.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh loves to have the ball on his hands and in the Spurs system he would be just another Richard Jefferson. I do like Smith's game, he can be very useful, specially on defense, but the fact that he wants a max contract and that the Spurs wont give him one, ends the discussion about him being traded here. Also if it was him or Al, I'd rather make a trade for Al.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way there is any truth to this. Sounds like agent talk to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't read into it to much, just Smiths agent trying to raise interest for his client.
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What edge are you talking about? What motivation would the hawks have to make this trade, unless the spurs threw in other assets? Smith's deal expires at the end of the year and they'll probably just let him walk. Some team is going to have to offer an attractive package to get the hawks to do anything.
    The edge he is referring to is financial. Since Jackson comes completely off the books next year, that would allow ATL to maximize their cap space. A player like Humphries, which is still owed 12M next year, eats into their ability to chase max-level free agents.

I think ATL knows they are not going to get a top flight talent for a guy like Smith. Their goal is to get some assets while opening up as much cap space as possible it appears. That could change and someone might offer them a great player, but unless it's a player they love, they would likely rather have cap space, draft picks and maybe a good young player on a cheap contract instead of a better overall player since their eyes are on free ageny. Hence the "edge".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is that Buford is just doing Ferry a solid by trying to up Smith's trade value.

Honestly, I just don't like Josh Smith's fit on this team. He's a ball-stopper who takes horribly inefficient shots at inopportune times. He'd be great on the defensive end but I'd guess that the Spurs would give it back on the offensive end with Smith in the game. It'd also be a big gamble and would cause the Spurs to have to rework their offense because Smith standing out on the perimeter playing off the Big 3 would lead to an epic failure. It could work but that's an awfully big risk.
    I am not saying you're wrong, but is it common practice for teams to just help out other teams like you describe? Even with the relationship there, why would teams do that? It's not like Ferry is going to allow them to pillage ATL down the road bc of it.

IMO, I don't see the Spurs doing anything that has absolutely no motive behind it to help them in some form or fashion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well he is a Spur material... Shooting 50% from the FT line.
    This is back?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh...I don't like Smith's game and I doubt it would even have a slim chance of happening because the guy wants to get paid like crazy...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The edge he is referring to is financial. Since Jackson comes completely off the books next year, that would allow ATL to maximize their cap space. A player like Humphries, which is still owed 12M next year, eats into their ability to chase max-level free agents.

I think ATL knows they are not going to get a top flight talent for a guy like Smith. Their goal is to get some assets while opening up as much cap space as possible it appears. That could change and someone might offer them a great player, but unless it's a player they love, they would likely rather have cap space, draft picks and maybe a good young player on a cheap contract instead of a better overall player since their eyes are on free ageny. Hence the "edge".
    Since Smith's deal also expires at the end of the year I hardly call that an "edge" lmfao..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    splitter and jackson might get it done. but it wouldn't be worth it.

cap space doesn't do much for san antonio, so a big name rental isn't good. maybe smith would stay once he tastes the spurs winning mentality flavored kool-aid, but why risk that? losing splitter would be mess for the offense. even with smith starting to fit in, we would lose a lot of games. we'd still be stuck with blair. i shutter to think of the spurs offense, without jackson and splitter.

smith is the right kinda player. unfortunately he's the wrong kinda cost, and the wrong kinda contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And like a lot of posters have said, it's far from sure Josh Smith will be a good fit with Spurs. It's the same situation than with Al Jefferson: talented but questionable fit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not saying you're wrong, but is it common practice for teams to just help out other teams like you describe? Even with the relationship there, why would teams do that? It's not like Ferry is going to allow them to pillage ATL down the road bc of it.

IMO, I don't see the Spurs doing anything that has absolutely no motive behind it to help them in some form or fashion.
    It'd help both teams. The Hawks potentially see Smith's stock rise. The Spurs potentially see the asking price of other targets go down if teams thinks the Spurs are legitimately after Smith.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I'll be happy when the trade deadline is over and these rumors go away for a while.

Just not that interested in Smith as a Spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    splitter and jackson might get it done. but it wouldn't be worth it.

cap space doesn't do much for san antonio, so a big name rental isn't good. maybe smith would stay once he tastes the spurs winning mentality flavored kool-aid, but why risk that? losing splitter would be mess for the offense. even with smith starting to fit in, we would lose a lot of games. we'd still be stuck with blair. i shutter to think of the spurs offense, without jackson and splitter.

smith is the right kinda player. unfortunately he's the wrong kinda cost, and the wrong kinda contract.
    Right now Smith is not even the right kind of player. If he could be molded into a more efficient offensive player I could see him fitting well with Splitter, Parker & Leonard as a potential post Duncan era foundation. Until then, he is not worth even considering at more than 10-12m a year, much less a max contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now Smith is not even the right kind of player. If he could be molded into a more efficient offensive player I could see him fitting well with Splitter, Parker & Leonard as a potential post Duncan era foundation. Until then, he is not worth even considering at more than 10-12m a year, much less a max contract.
    he's not perfect right now, but he's not rj. he'll fit in much better. i'm going off fantasy league stats, i haven't seen much of him on the court. i'm pretty sure the spurs would have him killin' it on the 3 point line. defensively he's a no brainer. my concern is he might look like baynes on the pick and roll for a bit? not good for the guy that would cost us splitter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since Smith's deal also expires at the end of the year I hardly call that an "edge" lmfao..
    It's an edge when considering getting something in return for an asset that can leave without compensating you. So, if Josh can leave as a FA, while they may still have the same cap space as a Spurs offer, they may not have the first round pick or any other assets that go along with it. When considering trades, ATL will look to keep their cap space unharmed (so an expiring contract) plus a little something in addition to just letting him walk (draft pick(s) and/or young players on cheap contracts).

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's tantalizing for sure. If Smith can be reined in, he could be what Diaw teases us with from time to time. I wouldn't feel comfortable risking more than the players whose minutes/roles he would replace though (Diaw/Bonner/Blair/Jack), therefore it's probably not a go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right, so Ferry would need a reasonably priced player he really wants and or draft picks in return. Doesn't make much sense for him unless the Spurs sent out someone like Leonard in the deal.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so splitter+jax+filler for josh?
    I would not trade Splitter straight with Smith, let alone shipping out more players.

Thread Information