Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, Leonard became great partly because he ended up in the right situation (managment, coaches, teammates & development program) to exceed expectations.

Judging the Spurs development program or coaching staff based on not finding "another Leonard" is silly because 1) Leonard was a rare breed of player that was able to learn and developed faster than most other prospects & 2) members of the development staff that developed him have either been promoted or moved on to other organizations.

Lastly, many players (Justise Winslow, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Mikal Bridges, Miles Bridges, Stanley Johnson, OG Anunoby, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, etc.) with a similar profile to Leonard (in college) have landed in other team's lap & none have even reached an all-star level of play. Quite a few, if not all, were drafted higher than Leonard with a "higher ceiling" or thought to have more potential than him too.

That says a lot about Leonard's greatness, dogged determination and the Spurs' great development plan for him.

Again, the likelihood of finding another player like Leonard is extremely unlikely. Just like the Lakers will be hard pressed to find a Bryant type again at the 16th pick (straight out of high school) or the Bucks with Antetokounmpo.

All the young players currently on the team, minus Poeltl, were drafted or acquired outside of the lottery so any of them reaching all-star level is a huge, huge plus. Hopefully, the team can find one or two high-level players through the draft that can be complimented well by our current group (of young guys). Or they can find a reclamation project (Bridges in Charlotte possibly?) that can find another gear.....
    No he didn't. Leonard would have reached his potential quicker on another team. He was held back a bit in San Antonio and reached his potential after Duncan left.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alot of ppl forget that the year that leonard was drafted, there was a lock-out all the way till Dec. Chip Englland quickly work with Leonard before the lockout kicks in and Leonard spends the lock-out period improving his shots mechanic. Also Chad Forcier was the main player development coach back then and he worked with Leonard every summer on things to improve during the offseason. The dedication of Leonard and the coaching staff of the Spurs were at a different level back then. Spurs player development takes a big dip when Chad left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No he didn't. Leonard would have reached his potential quicker on another team. He was held back a bit in San Antonio and reached his potential after Duncan left.
    I'm sure he would have reached even higher skies growing up in Phoenix's winning culture and development programs. Or Sacramento's. Or Minnesota's. They sure have eyes for talent and so many young players for Nephew to grow up with!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never realized just how pastey white this dude is. He’s one more game from the Jazz calling begging for a trade

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best cade scenario: Ersan Ilyasova

Meh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best cade scenario: Ersan Ilyasova

Meh
    Oh man drew let you off the head board?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Youre on Fire with the One Liners tonight sir.
    Just keeping it simple for you two

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was terrible . His handle looked awful this game. Not judging anything yet, but even this play was lucky.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure he would have reached even higher skies growing up in Phoenix's winning culture and development programs. Or Sacramento's. Or Minnesota's. They sure have eyes for talent and so many young players for Nephew to grow up with!
    Why single out those teams, but leave out the successful ones? (But it's not like Devin Booker isn't a beast...his team just sucks)

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally got his NBA debut and he looked like the broomstick challenge out there. Geez. He is clearly 2 years away from even being a project.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something over 80% of the players drafted at his spot in the league are busts and out within a couple of years because of various flaws. At ude and defense are probably the worst problems for new players. He looked exactly like a rookie in his first game at the big show last night. Hesitant at shooting and kinda lost at times. We didn't have a lot of spacing so his inclination to take the ball into the lane was quickly blocked by two or more players dropping off. I'm sure he was amazed by the speed and quickness of the veteran players.

Who knows if his talent and physcial attributes will win out over his flaws.???The only way to know is to give him some minutes-- anywhere, but preferably on the big team-- to see if he can play in this league. Look at all the young Euros we've drafted that didn't make it after years of hope on our end. Scola went elsewhere, the Big Latvian got injured, the Georgian stayed home for starters. In a league that virtually punished teams financially if they drafted a US player, the Spurs often went to the Euro well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why single out those teams, but leave out the successful ones? (But it's not like Devin Booker isn't a beast...his team just sucks)
    Because the Spurs ARE the successful one. That's my point - read the quote again. Implying Nephew would've reached "higher ceiling quicker" on another team and saying the Spurs held him back is just re ed, and my examples are teams that repeatedly have gotten players with outstanding talents and promise, yet have failed to develop them into anything useful. Trying to dismiss the Spurs' role into making Nephew who he is, is a very narrow/shallow/stupid view of how players grow and learn in the NBA. If #2 fell on any of the teams I listed, he'd have been out of the league by year 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally got his NBA debut and he looked like the broomstick challenge out there. Geez. He is clearly 2 years away from even being a project.
    Can't expect much from T-Rex arms, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka needs lots of whataburger and lots of weight room.
    Steroids would help probably.
    He is too skinny and weak.
    He lots like a scared Bertrans. If that is it he needs to run around a lot and let it fly when open and make it. Not sure he has that in him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He did OK it's good for him to get some burn against legit NBA players only way he is going to get better and understand what he has to work on individually to get at that level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looked like a rookie. Still, you could see some good skills and instinct. He was just blinded by the big lights. Don’t forget he came into a game in which the opponent was treating the starters like es. Now if he gets some run and the timidity is still there... now it’s a concern.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody gives a what Brandon Clark is doing, so go tell your Brandon Clark buttbuddy club.
    aw, you dumb mother er

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This Brandon Clarke love reminds me of ST's obsession with Jordan Bell when Spurs drafted Derrick White instead.
    Damn, you're a dumbass

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So glad they picked Luka Sandwich over Clarke. I'm sure Sandwich will work his way up to a bench warmer in 3 years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Posts like this are why I hate this board and posters like you guys.

Take a random pic and cast aspersions on a guy's motivations and loyalties because he isn't captured with sikver and black fire coming out of his ass.

Be better.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I noticed Luka on the sideline in the scrimmages, and wasn't just noticing his body language. And not with any regards to a single screenshot, but looking at the big picture.

He has been sat next to Mills right up front and I don't think it's a coincidence. Maybe they're trying to get his energy up and teach him how to be a pro and how to be a good teammate by making Mills his big brother on the bench. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it doesn't give me any more confidence in Samanic's future that he not only is years away in skill but needs to be coached up in other areas also.

If Mills can help salvage Samanic into not making the Spurs rue the day they passed on Clarke or Thybulle then maybe he'll be worth his contract.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People said White sucked his first few games same with Murray same with Walker etc. I will wait another two season before I jump on “He Sucks Bandwagon”.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Samanic was always viewed as being two years away. He very raw, but also very enticing. At 6’10”, he can legit dribble/pass/shoot, and has that rarest of gifts for someone of that height: a 38” vert. Lonnie Walker, who’s considered to be insanely athletic, has a 40” vert, but is 5” shorter than samanic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it puzzling that everyone is so upset that Samanic looks like a rookie. He is a rookie.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samanic is 20 years old

Thread Information