Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As you know i am French.. i live near Paris, on thursday i was with some friends close to Bataclan eating in a argentin/french restaurant.. then we went out to drink and share some freedom...
    now when i will go out in paris i will not feel this freedom...
    i feel so sad, so upsed, i want to vomit

ISIS, DAESH EXTREMISTS

FRANCE WILL STAND!!

LIBERTE EGALITE FRATERNITE!!!!!

yes we can live together but some people on earth dont share this...
    Don't say that bro!

I was born and raised in Paris, even if I live in London right now, all the friends and family that I had on the phone/skype since the events are angry, shocked, but almost all don't want to change a thing and keep living the way they used to...

If we change, they win!

Paris will always be Paris my friend (even if the ing rents are insane now!), you'll see next time you come!

Ô Ville Lumière
    Sens la chaleur
    De notre cœur
    Vois-tu notre ferveur

Quand nous marchons près de toi
    Dans cette quête, chasser l'ennemi
    Enfin pour que nos couleurs
    Brillent encore

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won't address your comments on the Israel situation, because your thoughts there are speculative at best and reek of conspiracy theory at worst.

That said, Hitchens, Dawkins, and that whole New Atheist movement are polemical hacks, with opinions that any historians or (secular) theologians worth their weight would laugh at. They turn religion and belief into a crude caricature like the best propagandists have turned "the other" into a crude caricature in order to dehumanize. For a movement that preaches rationality and skepticism, they give into emotional kneejerking all too often, most likely willingly to rouse their cons uents. You might think I'm defending religion because I'm a believer, but I'm not. Simply put no historian would agree that religion is the "most toxic" of human ins utions. It's not even close to being a fact, which the supposed "fact" and "truth" lovers of the New Atheist movement should know. But that wouldn't be good for selling books, would it?

This is one of the most comprehensive examinations of war throughout history and the authors concluded that only about 7 percent of all wars had a religious component:

And about that religion being antagonistic to science "fact?" Another myth.

http://www.strangenotions.com/gods-philosophers/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ric-scientists

And of course we know that Christian monks were responsible for saving all the books they could (irrespective of source) as Barbarians hordes ransacked and burnt their way through Rome.

http://www.metanexus.net/essay/medie...n-civilization

Religion also acted a a civilization force during that period:

Have bad, very bad things, been done in the name of religion? Of course. But in advanced basketball stat speak, religion has been a "net positive" to humanity overall. In reality, religion has actually amplified many of our innate traits of compassion, empathy, charity, love, and even desire for knowledge. More good things have been done in its "name" than vice versa.

The real problem is the human tendency toward tribal supremacy and the need for certainty in an indifferent universe. "Our" economic system is more truthful and morally superior to "yours." "Our" political ideology is more truthful and morally superior to "yours." "Our" race is more worthy of life and this land than "yours." Even the morally neutral science isn't free from human misinterpretation in this case. How many eugenic programs and forced sterilization programs were done by "scientists" who misread Darwin? How about the Nazis taking Nietzsche's Overman concept literally and actually trying to create an Overman through racial purification? , this tribal supremacy behavior is even on display at sporting events, when rival fans kill and beat each other (soccer hooliganism, stabbings in parking lots, etc).

Are science, philosophy, economics, and politics systems "toxic?"

No. Unfortunately, there's toxic people out there who will use these ins utions and ideas in a toxic way for personal gain and power.

This quote sums it up nicely:

https://newrepublic.com/article/1196...bloodiest-wars

However, I'm not a cynic nor a pessimist. All of these ins utions have been a "net positive" on humanity over all. If they didn't "work," we would've killed ourselves off long ago (you can say it got tense during the Cold War, but human goodness won out) and/or not gotten much further than caveman status in cultural progress. And statistically speaking, this is actually the most peaceful time in human history.
    lol no.

Murder works, else we'd all be dead.

War works, else we'd all be dead.

Anything works, else we'd all be dead.

That's a ty argument since it doesn't allow anything to not work because here we are.

What does "work" even mean here? Does the displacement of reason by faith work for you? It doesn't work for me.

Also, lol at "secular theologian". That's a bit of an oxymoron.

So which end times religion is being misused? Christians are looking for the apocalypse, Muslims for the caliphate. Each of these is doing what they think they need to do in order to hurry it along.

You know an ins ution is flawed severely when practicing its tenets fundamentally means you are crazy as . No one says "Tim Duncan has very good fundamentals, but that's extreme so it's bad... he needs to dismiss most of what he knows to be true and just latch on to the newest trends".

God is now a pinterest item for most Western theists.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol no.

Murder works, else we'd all be dead.

War works, else we'd all be dead.

Anything works, else we'd all be dead.

That's a ty argument since it doesn't allow anything to not work because here we are.

What does "work" even mean here? Does the displacement of reason by faith work for you? It doesn't work for me.

Also, lol at "secular theologian". That's a bit of an oxymoron.

So which end times religion is being misused? Christians are looking for the apocalypse, Muslims for the caliphate. Each of these is doing what they think they need to do in order to hurry it along.

You know an ins ution is flawed severely when practicing its tenets fundamentally means you are crazy as . No one says "Tim Duncan has very good fundamentals, but that's extreme so it's bad... he needs to dismiss most of what he knows to be true and just latch on to the newest trends".

God is now a pinterest item for most Western theists.
    How can "reason" exist if no absolute truth exists (keep in mind I'm speaking of truth, not facts)? "Rationality" and "reason" are just as arbitrary as religion with regard to morality since, as Hume taught us, you cannot derive an ought from an is. There's no absolute truth to morally anchor ourselves to, so how can you truly build a rational moral foundation? Even that hack Sam Harris realizes this conundrum and wrote an awful book (which was destroyed in review by philosophers who actually know what they're doing) trying to reconcile science with morality.

In the pragmatic sense, religion and faith are a perfectly rational response to the seemingly senseless and purposeless state of the universe and reality at large. There are many facets of the human condition that science and "reason" can never, ever make sense of nor "satisfy" existentially. You'll likely say, "They need to stop being so weak minded and face that cruel "truth" head on, like us enlightened atheists do." If that's your feeling, then who is the irrational and dogmatic one in this case?

And what's all this talk about eschatology? Which Christian leaders are launching nuclear weapons in an effort to bring about Armageddon and thus the Final Judgement? I don't see the Saudis, who are in love with their soccer, exotic cars, and lavish lifestyles, planning or doing any such thing? , the Cold War was the perfect setting for an Apocalypse. The Christian West vs. The Atheist Soviet Union and their allies. I didn't see a Catholic JFK launching anything toward Moscow. It's always the fringe, and to generalize a whole from a very, very, tiny part is an irrational move.

God even explicitly commands not to kill with Jesus commanding to, "Love Thy Enemy." So if Christians defy those laws, it's not religion's fault, it's human fault.

And if religion "dies out," it'll just be replaced by an ideology that "appeals to science" and purports itself to be rational. Again, look how many evil deeds were done by "scientists" trying to "improve" the human race through eugenic programs. And that mindset still persists very strongly to this day.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Race_realism

Don't mistake me for demonizing science. Point is, ANYTHING can be turned into an ideology, because like I said, we unfortunately have this innate need to feel superior to the "other." Germany has long been a center of scientific and philosophical innovation, and look how easily their populace was duped since Hitler and Co. knew how to emotionally manipulate the populace by appealing to race.

When I said "works," I was referring to examples of ins utions like science, religion, culture prompting human flourishing. "War" and "murder" are also not created equal, since there are such things as a just war (not in the religious sense, but for self defense/fighting evil) and justifiable homicide. Aside from that, though, I would argue that war and murder do not "work," since the logical conclusion of both is extinction or at the very least living in a world that is extremely harsh and unpleasant (though, that is relative, since there are no doubt a segment of people intrigued by a might makes right world).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nice to see that your solid basketball writing translates to other topics. Great post. I'm not religious, but to demonize faith in these situations is not fair. In the absence of religion, it's highly likely that humans would just find another avenue to attach our faction-creating ways onto for all of the reasons that you just pointed out.
    No doubt. Even the utopic driven, egalitarian ideal of communism was twisted and misinterpreted to the point where Communists leaders killed over 100 million people in its "name."

And I could see the hard green, anarcho-primitivism, and racial realism movements becoming big problems in the future, especially with how fast information travels.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 11-16-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Pdt Spurs Nation France JP le Requin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't say that bro!

I was born and raised in Paris, even if I live in London right now, all the friends and family that I had on the phone/skype since the events are angry, shocked, but almost all don't want to change a thing and keep living the way they used to...

If we change, they win!

Paris will always be Paris my friend (even if the ing rents are insane now!), you'll see next time you come!

Ô Ville Lumière
    Sens la chaleur
    De notre cœur
    Vois-tu notre ferveur

Brillent encore

i think you are right.. i hope it so much..
    la veille des attentats j'étais dans le quartier de bastille avec des amis manger au santa carne puis on a brun verre 3 rues plus loin ...mais 3 rues plus proche de la rue de charonne... et jamais pendant la soirée j'imaginais qu'un attentat surviendrait.. on était bien entre potes.. et le lendemain... :-/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt. Even the utopic driven, egalitarian ideal of communism was twisted and misinterpreted to the point where Communists leaders killed over 100 million people in its "name."

And I could see the hard green, anarcho-primitivism, and racial realism movements becoming big problems in the future, especially with how fast information travels.
    Millions more people were killed in the name of Capitalism tbh

US spread murder all over the globe for their capitalistic ideals. they even bombed Panama City with the excuse that they were out to get ONE guy suspects of drug trafficking. YES they actually performed a military bombing of a city and expected ppl to believe that excuse.at least 2,500 Panamanians were killed in that one alone.

Fully agree that religion is far behind other reasons why humans kill. Capitalism is atop the list

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope the poor French ppl realize one day that their government is highly responsible for these attacks. They spearheaded the Libya bombing that took out Ghadaffi. That void basically created ISIS and a lot of militants and weapons made their way to Syria from Lybia.

And the French government and Hollande were cheerleading the same thing in Syria, working on toppling Assad while arming the jihadists.

Of course the government will never accept any blame. Lets hope the poor civilian French will wake up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope the poor French ppl realize one day that their government is highly responsible for these attacks. They spearheaded the Libya bombing that took out Ghadaffi. That void basically created ISIS and a lot of militants and weapons made their way to Syria from Lybia.

And the French government and Hollande were cheerleading the same thing in Syria, working on toppling Assad while arming the jihadists.

Of course the government will never accept any blame. Lets hope the poor civilian French will wake up.
    every country who has a car which work with oïl is to blame..and yes, USA, FRANCE, ENGLAND, RUSSIA, CHINA, sell weapons ...world really sucks now every one is to blame.. no more you than me
    we need another REAL révolution around the world, and not letting money/oil direct our way of life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BUT, i really think we have people in mid orient, who wants to live like in middle age and have their "muslim" world, i mean their own vison of the coran who is not the same as REAL muslim are..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    every country who has a car which work with oïl is to blame..and yes, USA, FRANCE, ENGLAND, RUSSIA, CHINA, sell weapons ...world really sucks now every one is to blame.. no more you than me
    we need another REAL révolution around the world, and not letting money/oil direct our way of life.
    No. US/France/UK are DIRECTLY responsible for this mess and the subsequent attacks. France spearheaded the Libya mission to topple Ghaddafi. Was France ever attacked by Ghadaffi??? No. They decided to go ahead and topple him for imperial/economic reasons.

Ghadaffi himself warned them: "I am the only thing standing between Europe and the Barbarian Hordes"

But they still went ahead and took him out, and the barbarians came. And the ed up thing is that even after that failure, they were doing the same thing in Syria. oh the French government is directly responsible, but the French ppl sadly are asleep on this issue.

The French government and media are quick to put 100% of the blame on a bunch of camel ers running around the desert.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is what Gaddafi said as French bombs were being dropped in Tripoli:
    “if I go down, Europe goes black.”Now, without Gaddafi fighting to stop of the flow of illegals, the greatest tidal wave of illegal aliens of all time is at Europe’s door.

"There are millions of blacks who could come to the Mediterranean to cross to France and Italy, and Libya plays a role in security in the Mediterranean," he told the France 24 television station.

"Libya may become the Somalia of North Africa, of the Mediterranean," Khadafy's son, Seif, added. "You will see the pirates in Sicily, in Crete, in Lampedusa. You will see millions of illegal immigrants. The terror will be next door."

and his last words of warning on the same day he was killed and his convoy destroyed by a US/French bomb?

"Now listen you, people of NATO.

You’re bombing a wall which stood in the way of African migration to Europe, and in the way of Al Qaeda terrorists. This wall was Libya. You‘re breaking it. You’re idiots, and you will burn in for thousands of migrants from Africa and for supporting Al Qaeda. It will be so. I never lie. And I do not lie now.”

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't say that bro!

If we change, they win!

Ô Ville Lumière
    Sens la chaleur
    De notre cœur
    Vois-tu notre ferveur

Brillent encore
    They`ve already won. Fear is spread. That incident with fire crackers only proved it. Empty slogans with "I am no afraid" are plain stupid. People are stupid by saying that they are not afraid. They should be, random people can die on the streets every time every day. If I`d live in city with huge islamic society I`d be terrified. You`d never know which one of them can just randomly start killing people and you can`t do nothing about it, because you`ll pass thousends of them on the street which wouldn`t harm you. You just can`t find diffence between usual muslim and terrorist and that should terrify you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is what Gaddafi said as French bombs were being dropped in Tripoli:
    “if I go down, Europe goes black.”Now, without Gaddafi fighting to stop of the flow of illegals, the greatest tidal wave of illegal aliens of all time is at Europe’s door.

"There are millions of blacks who could come to the Mediterranean to cross to France and Italy, and Libya plays a role in security in the Mediterranean," he told the France 24 television station.

"Libya may become the Somalia of North Africa, of the Mediterranean," Khadafy's son, Seif, added. "You will see the pirates in Sicily, in Crete, in Lampedusa. You will see millions of illegal immigrants. The terror will be next door."

and his last words of warning on the same day he was killed and his convoy destroyed by a US/French bomb?

"Now listen you, people of NATO.

You’re bombing a wall which stood in the way of African migration to Europe, and in the way of Al Qaeda terrorists. This wall was Libya. You‘re breaking it. You’re idiots, and you will burn in for thousands of migrants from Africa and for supporting Al Qaeda. It will be so. I never lie. And I do not lie now.”
    Truth bombs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Choose your poison...

kadafi was not clean, like saddam, like bashar etc...

no one is clean..
    kadafi was right about this "wall" but....

i lived in africa in the 80's for 7 years, in mauritania , close to Mali and ivory coast... it was a different time... we were happy there..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Choose your poison...

kadafi was not clean, like saddam, like bashar etc...

no one is clean..
    kadafi was right about this "wall" but....

i lived in africa in the 80's for 7 years, in mauritania , close to Mali and ivory coast... it was a different time... we were happy there..
    then sadly you are still asleep. Obama is not clean either. Neither is Hollande or Hillary Clinton. They have as dirty hands as Gadaffi did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i told you you were right, its really hard to choose your poison, all our présidents have blonds on hands.. but kadafi etc arent better...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i told you you were right, its really hard to choose your poison, all our présidents have blonds on hands.. but kadafi etc arent better...
    but my point is kadafi had nothing to do with French policy. it's like blaming your neighbor for you setting your house on fire from within.

I don't see much French civilian fingers pointed at their own government. Not surprised but nothing will change unless ppl start waking up.

that being said RIP the ppl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    believe me, we are fed up with all our GVT since charles de gaulle...
    François Hollande is so stupid..what about N. Sarkozy?? he is so laughable trying to come back in présidentials..

Now the danger is that FN (extreme right in france) will win next présidentiel...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    believe me, we are fed up with all our GVT since charles de gaulle...
    François Hollande is so stupid..what about N. Sarkozy?? he is so laughable trying to come back in présidentials..

Now the danger is that FN (extreme right in france) will win next présidentiel...
    agree.

you have basically your own version of Hillary Clinton

I can only imagine the disaster of a Clinton/Le Pen era

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol if the money made by USA, France and all those countries bombing desserts for their oil came back to me i would agree.

But those profits go diretly to sustaining a way of life that is not possible in this world anyomore a way that includes a few countries among the richest and most of those among the poorest.

If my country was one of the richest i would think like you, that is "everyone´s" fault. But because i do not gain anything from that war, my country do not support it, and the people in my country would never, ever allow our goverment to go on a war for some oil, then i disagree.

The fault is on the people that voted the goverment that lead to this tragedy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fault is on the people that voted the goverment that lead to this tragedy.
    agree with all your points except this. Have to say most of the people are controlled by their country's media and regardless of what politicians say, they are all willing to do the corporations bidding. So it's not like ppl have legit choices. most ppl are clueless. they need to wake up.

Also what country are you from? unless your country has been labeled a ruthless dictatorship and in the axis of evil, chances are your government also supports the West policies. its a global world now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kadafi wasn`t taken down for human rights violations. Him and Hussein were taken down with false reasons, only to protect US Dollar and world`s oil trade. It was business decision.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agree with all your points except this. Have to say most of the people are controlled by their country's media and regardless of what politicians say, they are all willing to do the corporations bidding. So it's not like ppl have legit choices. most ppl are clueless. they need to wake up.

Also what country are you from? unless your country has been labeled a ruthless dictatorship and in the axis of evil, chances are your government also supports the West policies. its a global world now.
    In times like today, when your family's safe is at stake because a government can take actions that directly influence your day to day life, you cannot put all the blame on the media.

Sure, the media has it´s own interest and will always protect the status quo of society in a way people doesn´t seem to understand in general, but voting is not something you do day to day, or your work, or anything like that. It is an act that is performed once every few years, in today's world where real information is a click away from you you cannot continue to blame mainstream channels, radios and newspapers, because if the people wanted the information is really out there. So now a days those who are not aware of who they are voting is because they just follow the media reviews instead of taking 2 hours of their lives to research on their vote that would ultimately affect their child lives.

So people like you and me need to stop treating people like ignorant sheep that simply "cannot do anything against the media because they are controlled" because that feeling while extremely powerful is not exactly true. Information is out there, people just have to stop being so lazy and go get it, so they can be freed and elect a good government instead.

I am from Argentina and Argentina doesn´t support any policy that involves direct aggression. We cannot and our government need approval of the congress to do so, approval that would not have. At least for now.

Anyways i surprisingly agree with most of your points, it´s scary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kadafi wasn`t taken down for human rights violations. Him and Hussein were taken down with false reasons, only to protect US Dollar and world`s oil trade. It was business decision.
    yup and the same thing was going on in Syria:

Namely, let us not forget that some of the United States’ staunchest allies have been, and remain, responsible for facilitating the arrival of money, materiel, and jihadists into Islamic State territory, not to mention providing the ideological guidance for the terror group. They have been doing so in the hopes of toppling Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Jihadists have crossed the borders of Jordan and Turkey into Syria, seemingly at will. Qatar, Kuwait, UAE, and Saudi Arabia have not stopped their private citizens from sending money to various Islamist brigades, including Islamic State. They also give airtime to the muftis who provide ideological guidance to Islamic State, religious scholars who condone sectarian killing, gruesome beheadings, and sexual slavery on theological grounds.

It has been too convenient a falsity also for the West to believe that Syria’s war is Syria’s problem, or at least someone else’s problem, when so many world players are already involved in the war there, either directly or by proxy.

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debat...islamic-state/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

not sure wtf you are talking about... you act like French are the sole responsible of Gaddafi death... Gaddafi was US number 1 public ennemy under Reagan administration, a bunch of countries wanted him dead for good and bad reasons btw...

only your stuff about let dictators do the they want if they don't bother you trumps your French should blame their government for ISIS

Thread Information