Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Similar to last season, when it was more of a 1A and 1B between Leonard and him. Usage rates, last season/this season: Leonard 25.8/30.7, Aldridge 25.9/24.1. Some of this can be attributed to Leonard's increased free throw rate (30.6/39.9 ), but Aldridge's has slightly too (28.9/30.3) and even considering that, that's too big of a disparity.

You don't bring in a scorer of his magnitude, who was probably sold on something like a 1A and 1B role and who's energy and effort is clearly tied, in large part, to how involved he feels offensively (this is common; Duncan was the exception to the rule), only to damn near relegate him to Bosh of the '10-'14 Heat and Love of the '14-present Cavaliers status.

It was one game and an extreme example at that, but 8 shots in 30 minutes is unacceptable all the same and worse yet, part of what's becoming a disturbing trend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isnt he the second leading scorer, and second leading shottaker (by FGA) on the team? If he really wants to score more he needs to draw more fouls, which means more postups, and more rolling to the basket.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Similar to last season, when it was more of a 1A and 1B between Leonard and him. Usage rates, last season/this season: Leonard 25.8/30.7, Aldridge 25.9/24.1. Some of this can be attributed to Leonard's increased free throw rate (30.6/39.9 ), but Aldridge's has slightly too (28.9/30.3) and even considering that, that's too big of a disparity.

You don't bring in a scorer of his magnitude, who was probably sold on something like a 1A and 1B role and who's energy and effort is clearly tied, in large part, to how involved he feels offensively (this is common; Duncan was the exception to the rule), only to damn near relegate him to Bosh of the '10-'14 Heat and Love of the '14-present Cavaliers status.

It was one game and an extreme example at that, but 8 shots in 30 minutes is unacceptable all the same and worse yet, part of what's becoming a disturbing trend.
    Like last year, Aldridge is starting the season slow because of the work he didn't put in the offseason. Like last year, once Aldridge loses his all of his pudgy offseason weight he will become more mobile. That in itself will help his scoring as he will be lighter on his feet -- which will make him more effective as a scorer because his foot work will be quicker and more crisp and he'll be able to beat his man more often in transition and seal him for an easy opportunity early in the possession.

Fans that haven't played the game don't realize how much even 10 lbs can effect your game.

A half a step makes a world of a difference, a full step even more.

Right now, Aldridge just isn't effective if he's going up against good size. His only way to score right now, with the ball, is by using his body to back his man up to create an advantageous situation for him to create space for his meh reverse pivot fadeaway. Once a big with size crowds him ( bc he can't make a strong move towards the rim right now), he really has no answer and he has to pass it back out and reset the offense. He just doesn't have a lot of tools outside of his Pick and Pop jumper when he's playing at a higher weight.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 12-07-2016 at 08:08 PM.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Right now, Aldridge just isn't effective if he's going up against good size. His only way to score right now, with the ball, is by using his body to back his man up to create an advantageous situation for him to create space for his meh reverse pivot fadeaway. Once a big with size crowds him ( bc he can't make a strong move towards the rim right now), he really has no answer and he has to pass it back out and reset the offense. He just doesn't have a lot of tools outside of his Pick and Pop jumper when he's playing at a higher weight.
    He has reverted to throwing the ball back to Danny who is forced to put the ball on the floor when defenders run him off the line before he has a chance to set his feet. At this point, he should just stick to pick-n-pops unless there is a mismatch.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge needs to be in an offense that doesn't have Laprovittola the scrub.

Every time they run a P&P, Nico continues to throw his bounce passes off defender's feet. There have had to have been at least 10 of those yesterday, and 4 of those within the same shot clock. Sean even laughed because they kept inbounding the ball due to kick balls.

Aldridge's scoring when Lapro starts:
    @DAL - 5pts, 2/9 (22.2%)
    vs WAS - 19pts, 8/14 (57.1%)
    @MIN - 6pts, 3/8 (37.5%)

Aldridge's scoring when Mills starts:
    vs NOP - 12pts, 4/13 (30.8%)
    @UTA - 19pts, 7/13 (53.8%)
    vs LAC - 19pts, 7/13 (53.8%)
    vs HOU - 14pts, 5/15 (33.3%)

Aldridge's scoring when Parker starts:
    @GSW - 26pts, 10/20 (50%)
    @ SAC - 16pts, 5/13 (38.5%)
    @ MIA - DNP
    vs UTA - 21pts, 8/16 (50%)
    vs DET - 14pts, 6/14 (42.9%)
    @HOU - 16pts, 5/13 (38.5%)
    vs MIA - 18pts, 8/14 (57.1%)
    @ SAC - 21pts, 8/16 (50%)
    @LAL - 23pts, 10/14 (71.4%)
    @CHA - 23pts, 8/17 (47.1%)
    @BOS - 10pts, 4/12 (33.3%)
    @WAS - 24pts, 9/17 (52.9%)
    vs ORL - 16pts, 7/12 (58.3%)
    @MIL - 18pts, 7/14 (50%)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not efficient enough for 1B. Relies too much on his turn around jumper. He's faced away from the basket and has no idea what's happening on the court behind him. He gets doubled then turns into the double team, panics and turns it over. He's done a good job defensively, and he's a good second option, but he needs to play under the basket more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's coasting. He hustles for rebounds and team defense, so I'm not too worried as the spurs are just a couple games out of 1st in the west. GSW will slow down, with the minutes theyre playing, jump shooters always slow down. Spurs will kick it up, like every year, after the all-star break. Im not sure why this is still a surprise to people when Pop has never been concerned with the first half of the season. If we are going into the playoffs and Aldridge is still being a fatty, then I'll be concerned.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude came in fat and you're blaming the team. Stupid .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not efficient enough for 1B. Relies too much on his turn around jumper. He's faced away from the basket and has no idea what's happening on the court behind him. He gets doubled then turns into the double team, panics and turns it over. He's done a good job defensively, and he's a good second option, but he needs to play under the basket more.
    One aspect I wish Aldridge had in his game is a face up game from the triple threat position from about 12-15 feet out whenever 4 down is called. Tim used to be a monster with it back in the first 5 years of his career.

A series of jab steps, and he can take the jumper or he can give the overcommitting D a pump fake and draw the foul, or put it on the floor and go at the rim aggressively. Plus, in this aspect, Aldridge would be able to see the whole floor infront of him.

How Aldridge doesn't have this in his game boggles my mind. I've never seen him even try to face his man up from 4 down. He is way too predictable to ever be highly effective in 4 down, losing another 10 lbs would help him though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course it does.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like last year, Aldridge is starting the season slow because of the work he didn't put in the offseason. Like last year, once Aldridge loses his all of his pudgy offseason weight he will become more mobile. That in itself will help his scoring as he will be lighter on his feet -- which will make him more effective as a scorer because his foot work will be quicker and more crisp and he'll be able to beat his man more often in transition and seal him for an easy opportunity early in the possession.

Fans that haven't played the game don't realize how much even 10 lbs can effect your game.

Which is why I'm constantly irritated at him for being chubby.

He doesn't even need to be a cyborg like Kawhi, just take some time to enjoy then get in shape so you can do your job of playing a friggin game for millions and millions of dollars.

Also, 10 or 20 lbs are going to hurt more now that he's over 30. He could shortened his career if he's not disciplined.

I hope it happens that he gets in better shape and takes some load off Kawhi plus improves the overall performance of the team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This needs to be the case for no better reason than you can't expect the Kingslayer to be the number one option and carry the team on offense AND be the DPOY lock down defender on the opposing teams best scoring threat. While I love Kiwi's evolution of his game, unless he becomes a Lebron level scorer, to where his offense can carry the team and he can pick and choose when to be a lock down defender, the Spurs work best when he is the third best scoring option but focusing hard on locking the other teams top player down. We need the Ltrain to step up and if we could count on another player being a dependable 20 points a night. Tony has been oft injured and Patty has been streaky but maybe a combination of them both, who knows.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That explains, at least in part, why he's struggling, but I don't buy that that's why the offense has moved away from him. It just happened organically and specifically because Leonard has decided to take on an even bigger role.

I blame Pop too, who seems to be calling Aldridge's number less. He gets most of his touches in the flow of the offense, not off of specific plays for him.

To even pretend to have a chance to win the championship, they need the fully realized version of Aldridge. He's the one with the most room for internal improvement.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Aldridge was so efficient last season iirc, he has really taken a dip so far this year, but I agree the offense needs to run through him more as he is easily the best scorer outside of Kawhi. Offense should run through him to begin games, he needs to get in a rhythm whereas Kawhi has been good about picking his spots and taking over the 4th quarter. Spurs need to feed Aldridge to begin more imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course hes touches is going to diminish. He's playing with Pau Gasol..Anyone expecting his touches would have stayed the same is fooling themsleves.

Last year, the ball handlers almost never posted up Timmy and run a pick and pop with him. This year, Pau is heavy on Offense. He's had a ton of games this year when he had the highest usage. Timmy never had those days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol just doesbt fit well with Aldridge offensively. The Former is also better at running offenses with Leonard and Parker...so the result is a significant hit on his usage and shot numbers. Leonard and Parker have been running the same Pick and screen numbers with Gasol....

I imagine both players even prefer doing with Gasol. For instance last night? Kawhi heat up in the second quarter, exclusively asking for Gasol screens.. .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's playig too passively at times. With his skills and size he should be working for his shot every time they get him the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course it does.
    def need less parker and gasol on offense more LMA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The lack of shots is all on Aldridge. In many instances of the game the Spurs just run equal chances sets where the ball is constant movement and whoever is in the best position gets to shoot. That's like half of the attempts Kawhi gets: him just being agressive and playing with a purpose to make things happen. Aldridge is just lazily going through the motions, so unless he gets a specific play called for him he doesn't even look at the basket. He needs to wake the up and start doing what he did on the second half of last season, run the break hard to establish good position on the low block, attack the basket instead of shooting a lazy jumper or passing it to the next guy without even looking at the basket, etc.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This lousy can't even make wide open shots.

Also he gets his shots in the flow of the offense because giving it to him isn't good offense. He has no balance in his game. The end result because he can't dribble or pass very well is a difficult shot from him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about more oriented on a different team? His lackadaisical flabby ways should be in Phoenix.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the Spurs need more bigs shooting fade-away outside shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Theoretically the OP makes sense...

But if you add the softness factor and his tendency to fade away. It starts to make little sense.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Theoretically the OP makes sense...

But if you add the softness factor and his tendency to fade away. It starts to make little sense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't mind the missed open jump shots, because that's inevitable with jump shooters..I've grown to really hate when he passes the ball out of the post against 1 on 1 defense, though..it's occurring way too frequently..

Thread Information