My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Base salary is $70 million over four years. Each of the four years of the extension, he has the following incentives: $500,000 for playing at least 70 games, $500,000 if he makes at least 185 three-pointers and $250,000 if he makes First Team All-Defense or Second Team All-Defense.

I like it. In base salary, White's not making that much more than Murray. (Interestingly, if Murray reaches all the incentives in his contract, he too would be making $70 million.) With this contract structure, the Spurs have a little bit of protection if injuries keep being an issue for White and White is incentivized to shoot and play D.

For White to hit that 185 three-pointers made mark, he's really going to have to turn into a gunner. Two Spurs have ever hit that mark: Danny Green hit 191 threes in 2014-15 and Chuck Person hit 190 threes in 1995-96. Considering that Person did it with a shorter three-point line, that leaves only Green.

White is unlikely to be able to reach that mark -- but it's not impossible. If he plays 80 games in a season, he'd need to hit ~2.3 threes per game. In the first five games of the Bubble, he hit 3.8 threes per game. But considering players like Manu Ginobili and Patty Mills never even cracked 160, 185 is a lofty number over the course of a season.

Being named to an All-Defense team would also be difficult, especially because he'd be splitting votes with Murray. White's best chance would be for the Spurs to become elite defensively again and White lead the league in charges drawn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any more details on the structure of the contract? Front/end heavy? 17,5M/Y?
    I really like the incentives, especially the 5ook for 185 three-pointers is great. Should keep him motivated to let it fly.
    Not concerned about him playing D at all, but I think you're right that it'll be diffcult for him to be named to an All-Defense Team.
    70 games, at least for the upcoming season, isn't doable, so the Spurs will save a little bit of cash on that front.
    Last edited by pookenstein; 12-23-2020 at 03:23 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any more details on the structure of the contract? Front/end heavy? 17,5M/Y?
    Good question.

It has a normal structure with 8% raises.

70 games, at least for the upcoming season, isn't doable, so the Spurs will safe a little bit of cash on that front.
    Remember, the extension kicks in next season so none of the incentives apply to this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember, the extension kicks in next season so none of the incentives apply to this season.
    Right, I ed up on that. Thanks for clearing that. Still, 70 games seems a lot, given his injury history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seeing as he's always injured, that first incentive is looking mighty good too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the 70 games a season considered likely? Are the others considered unlikely? Probably will depend on what happens this season. Only likely incentives count against the cap initially. Might make a little bit of a difference next offseason.

Also, are we sure there are no player or team options?
    Last edited by BG_Spurs_Fan; 12-23-2020 at 03:47 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the 70 games a season considered likely? Are the others considered unlikely? Probably will depend on what happens this season. Only likely incentives count against the cap initially. Might make a little bit of a difference next offseason.
    Not 100% sure but I think the 70-game incentive will be considered likely and the other two will be unlikely. That would mean for salary cap purposes, his contract would be considered $72 million over four years. (That's what exstatic predicted, IIRC )

Also, are we sure there are no player or team options?
    I'm reasonably certain there's no option for either side.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one thing to remember is the less games he plays the less likely he is to hit the 3 target as well. 185/82 is 2.25 is 185/70 is 2.64. so him being injured hurts him on two of the bonuses.

Thread Information