Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i was probably at my best near the end of college. i dont think i really touched chess between then and the queen's gambit series tbh

now when i do play its just 3 minute games on chess.com and those arent ones that let you put much thought in or improve, really
    Searching for Bobby Fishsr is my favorite chess movie. I’d also recommend the doc on the game, Go. In the west, we always think of chess as the end all of games. But Go is exponentially more complex.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Searching for Bobby Fishsr is my favorite chess movie. I’d also recommend the doc on the game, Go. In the west, we always think of chess as the end all of games. But Go is exponentially more complex.
    That’s a solid movie with an impressive cast for what it was. Pretty good acting all around. But i can’t deal with the kids accent

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    YOU were the dude!

YOU Recommended Alpha Go do entary. That was fantastic. So much in that.

I had played Go (and then watched the doc) and it’s very easy to learn but I found it impossible to figure out how well I was doing. I thought I had a plan and the next thing I’m getting killed. I suggest playing the small board version first because the whole board game takes too long.

I wonder if any of those chess top players have tried it. Or maybe they think it will screw up their chess prep?

That do entary really had a lot of personal interest for me. I recommend that to everyone I knew who was into the AI stuff. It blew many of them away. The way the programmers felt about what they had done was extraordinary. Big sighs of relief that it actually worked. And then pity for the champ that the program was so good when it beat the crap out of him like 5 out of 6 times iirc.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Is Vagina DeHoffa still in the mix?
    Lost due to a brilliant en pissant move and and capture of 3 checkers near the middle game, iirc.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That’s a solid movie with an impressive cast for what it was. Pretty good acting all around. But i can’t deal with the kids accent
    Yeah. I get that. But I’ll watch anything with Ben Kingsley. Then you get Fishburne and Mantegna. I always enjoy it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    10773572[/URL]]YOU were the dude!

YOU Recommended Alpha Go do entary. That was fantastic. So much in that.

I had played Go (and then watched the doc) and it’s very easy to learn but I found it impossible to figure out how well I was doing. I thought I had a plan and the next thing I’m getting killed. I suggest playing the small board version first because the whole board game takes too long.

I wonder if any of those chess top players have tried it. Or maybe they think it will screw up their chess prep?

That do entary really had a lot of personal interest for me. I recommend that to everyone I knew who was into the AI stuff. It blew many of them away. The way the programmers felt about what they had done was extraordinary. Big sighs of relief that it actually worked. And then pity for the champ that the program was so good when it beat the crap out of him like 5 out of 6 times iirc.
    Glad you liked it. I’ve never played but it seems like a much more
    complicated version of Ot o. I do remember Nash played it in Beautiful Mind. I don’t know enough to say for sure it’s more complicated than Chess. But the amount of iterations makes me think it is. Anyway, I love a good do entary. That’s a good question about whether top chess players also play go. My guess is that most have and probably kick the crap out of most players. But probably couldn’t compete against the best. In my simple mind, it looks like two different disciplines. Although both related to looking moves ahead

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Yeah. I get that. But I’ll watch anything with Ben Kingsley. Then you get Fishburne and Mantegna. I always enjoy it.
    His school teacher was Wendy Byrde

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    His school teacher was Wendy Byrde
    Don’t remember that. Weird. I always thought that Joan Allen (the kid’s mom) was Laura Linney light.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Judit Polgar (retired) beat Magnus in the park in Madrid. Timed game.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Judit Polgar (retired) beat Magnus in the park in Madrid. Timed game.

I guess that giant leap for womankind cancels out Roe v Wade decision, tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

I guess that giant leap for womankind cancels out Roe v Wade decision, tbh
    She has beaten him before. But now as he sits back as world champion waiting for the winner here.
    It just shows she is not willing to go through the rigors this game requires, but she is damn good.

If you dont know who this lineup of wins look it up. She has beaten the best. Not necessarily at their best but the woman is a boss and a fantastic analyst for the general public imo. And it is notable because girls are really rare in this game.

Polgár is the only woman to have won a game against a reigning world number one player, and has defeated eleven current or former world champions in either rapid or classical chess: Magnus Carlsen, Anatoly Karpov, Garry Kasparov, Vladimir Kramnik, Boris Spassky, Vasily Smyslov, Veselin Topalov, Viswanathan Anand, Ruslan Ponomariov, Alexander Khalifman, and Rustam Kasimdzhanov.[6]

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    More notable she is a fantastic analyst along with the guy she is paired with.
    They are a good team imo to explain and for overall at ude this game requires.
    And she tirelessly analyzes games. She does not go on to chit chat about herself near as much as the other male announcers.
    ie she really loves or is zeroed in on her task as an analyzer for the public.
    Mark me as very impressed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Nakumura just beat Duda.
    Duda apparently made a very poor move.
    Duda was shaking his head in disgust.
    Polgar explained that Duda is very good and is ashamed at giving Nakumura an easy win as the other compe ors have to expect more from him.
    Nakumura and Ding tomorrow is big.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    She has beaten him before. But now as he sits back as world champion waiting for the winner here.
    It just shows she is not willing to go through the rigors this game requires, but she is damn good.

If you dont know who this lineup of wins look it up. She has beaten the best. Not necessarily at their best but the woman is a boss and a fantastic analyst for the general public imo. And it is notable because girls are really rare in this game.

Polgár is the only woman to have won a game against a reigning world number one player, and has defeated eleven current or former world champions in either rapid or classical chess: Magnus Carlsen, Anatoly Karpov, Garry Kasparov, Vladimir Kramnik, Boris Spassky, Vasily Smyslov, Veselin Topalov, Viswanathan Anand, Ruslan Ponomariov, Alexander Khalifman, and Rustam Kasimdzhanov.[6]
    Judit Polgar and her sister Susan (Zsuzsa) are widely considered the GOAT female players.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Judit Polgar and her sister Susan (Zsuzsa) are widely considered the GOAT female players.
    Hungarian.

Interesting.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Nakumura just beat Duda.
    Duda apparently made a very poor move.
    Duda was shaking his head in disgust.
    Polgar explained that Duda is very good and is ashamed at giving Nakumura an easy win as the other compe ors have to expect more from him.
    Nakumura and Ding tomorrow is big.
    Ding cleaned hikarus clock and stormed back to secure second place after having no wins at all in the first half of the tournament

if magnus is serious about not defending les id favor ding over Nepo despite that round 1 disaster

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Ding cleaned hikarus clock and stormed back to secure second place after having no wins at all in the first half of the tournament

if magnus is serious about not defending les id favor ding over Nepo despite that round 1 disaster
    Looks like Magnus is out.

Ukraine women just won the Chess Olympiad.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Mangus will not defend is Classical le so its China (Ding )v. Russia (Ian Nepomniachtchi )
    Meanwhile, Magnus goes to play in a rapid tournament and wins it in pretty spectacular fashion against some younger GMs that are very good at rapid games. And not as good as the long grinding Classic games
    Magnus has again wowed all the chess experts.
    Some of the moves he made in a very short time period were apparently incredible.

I had no idea wtf was going on they played so quickly. The commentators could not keep up with the players thinking.
    Last edited by pgardn; 08-21-2022 at 10:30 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Magnus won the tournament but lost today to an 18 yo Indian grandmaster today.
    This same Indian grandmaster lost to a fairly young grandmaster from Poland on the following move:

(Note the Indian kid was totally winning and he made ONE move and was checkmated. Skip to 53 to 55 second.
    One rook move by black, checkmate. It was a stunningly horrible move. It shook the Polish GM that he had actually won.
    This of course was a very quickly played game but still... And the Indian kid had basically lost the entire tourney on this one move even though he came back today to beat Carlsen. Also this Polish Grandmaster beat Carlsen but lost his first 3 matches so he was way out of this tournament when he started beating the tournament leaders.

Pause it at 55 seconds or 56 to look at the checkmate from nowhere that was seen by everyone but a grandmaster.
    The bar on the left side of the board drops from white winning to completely black as calculated by a computer program.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You guys need to check out what happened in the World Championships between Ding and Nepo

Ding literally froze and lost a game early, looked in horrendous shape.
    The dude then clutched out and made super accurate moves after they were tied and had to play rapid chess.

China owns the World Championship for the first time.

I will try to find some piece that captures the entirety of this … I think it can safely be called incredible turnaround.
    No Magnus, so it was unknown territory.
    Last edited by pgardn; 04-30-2023 at 08:54 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

This was the ONLY time Ding was ahead the entire series of 14 classical games and four rapid games.
    And Ding literally broke down and could not move in one of the classical games.
    Last edited by pgardn; 04-30-2023 at 06:10 PM.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    China owns the World Championship for the first time.
    Time to raise the Chinese flag over the White House. And the St. Louis Chess Club, for good measure.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Time to raise the Chinese flag over the White House. And the St. Louis Chess Club, for good measure.
    Magnus is Finnish. Thats the only flag to be raised

Nepo is Russian but he did not play under that flag.
    Both Nepo and Ding want as little to do with politics as possible.
    they will do what it takes to play the game they excel at.

I imagine both of them would become Western citizens if they could get all their family and friends to be unbothered by the respective countries they were born in.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Magnus is Finnish. Thats the only flag to be raised

Nepo is Russian but he did not play under that flag.
    Both Nepo and Ding want as little to do with politics as possible.
    they will do what it takes to play the game they excel at.

I imagine both of them would become Western citizens if they could get all their family and friends to be unbothered by the respective countries they were born in.
    Magnus didn't play, though.

The CCP will claim Ding like they did with Yao, whether he likes it or not he kind of has to embrace it to save face or risk being a pariah which in China has far more severe consequences than getting kicked off Twitter.

I have no doubt that Nepo/Ding don't "want" to be part of the second world and would prefer to be in a first world, democratic country if they had their druthers. But it would also make them targets long term and they would have to forfeit a lot of amenities. Sometimes you just gotta play the hand you're dealt the best

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    It's hard to deny though that the Second World is fairly rapidly gaining ground on the First World... the Second World is winning Cold War II... just look at all the rapid yuanization from the Middle East to South Asia, South America and South Africa.

Forget about going back to the gold standard... the USA to survive economically going forward at some point may need to set the US Dollar to the Yuan standard.

Thread Information