San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now he's deleted it...
    Think I'm gonna have to trust Woj over McDnald on this one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is such a stupid take.

You gotta get creative and find diamonds in the rough (Bruce Bowen), reclamation projects (Stephen Jackson) & overseas talent (Aron Baynes) to fill out your roster too.

There is a thing where you need 15 - 17 when including 2 - Way deals - players and having depth is good. It might not be great depth, yet, but they have to find good or servicable talent to get there.
    No this was a stupid take. Bruce Bowen was acquired via free agency and was sure to make the team at the time of signing. I wish the Spurs would take more chances on a guy like Stephen Jackson, none of these signings are even close to Stephen Jackson. Baynes was added midseason with little guarantee and after proving himself was resigned for a needed role. Signing multiple players with arguable upside to guaranteed money and limited spots does not make sense to me unless there is a trade lined up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A trade remains possible. But now that Hutch is cut, it's clear guys some Spurs fans assume were completely safe aren't. The Spurs had no incentive to sign KBD at all if they didn't think he has a chance to make the team.
    Well said. I don’t agree with this strategy. Someone take the XBox controller away from Brian Wright.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No this was a stupid take. Bruce Bowen was acquired via free agency and was sure to make the team at the time of signing. I wish the Spurs would take more chances on a guy like Stephen Jackson, none of these signings are even close to Stephen Jackson. Baynes was added midseason with little guarantee and after proving himself was resigned for a needed role. Signing multiple players with arguable upside to guaranteed money and limited spots does not make sense to me unless there is a trade lined up.
    What would the team achieve by signing a Stephen Jackson caliber player? Raise the team’s floor by 5 wins? Why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would the team achieve by signing a Stephen Jackson caliber player? Raise the team’s floor by 5 wins? Why?
    Take a flyer on someone who can flat out ball and let Pop work his magic if the fella needs a father figure. Regardless my argument was that we don’t need to be guaranteeing any of these recent signings when we don’t have the roster space and I suspect they have very little, if any interest away. We are near 20 deep with 7 guys who are borderline NBA players. I do not understand this strategy. In the absence of a trade these guys coulda been picked up cheaper midseason. If not available there are 50 other borderline guys who can be had cheaper. Depth, no matter how shallow is useless when you are already lottery bound. I would salut these last few signings when we were on the verge of compe iveness. PATFO needs to realize we are a bottom 5 team and adjust their strategy. Actually they should have realized that 2 yrs ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

People might find a stats comparison interesting between Jackson and Thaddeus Young, for their career numbers. Btw

Glad to see the signing of Diop. He hasn't had a lot of opportunity but he's looked like a useful player to have around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People might find a stats comparison interesting between Jackson and Thaddeus Young, for their career numbers. Btw

Glad to see the signing of Diop. He hasn't had a lot of opportunity but he's looked like a useful player to have around.
    Both damn solid NBA players although Stephen Jackson hit big shots time after time and was crucial in an NBA le run. I like the KDP signing in isolation. I like the Jok one outright, could get on board with Bryn Forbes if it was to fill an empty slot. However, in the absence of a trade we now have to cut and pay two of Aminu, Walker, Luka, Drew, KDP and Jok. Probably Aminu and Eubanks.
    Last edited by KingKev; 09-07-2021 at 12:49 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting stuff tbh Glad to have Diop back. Gonna be extremely interesting to see what the spurs are planning. I think Aminu and Luka will be waived

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jack is massively overrated by Spurs fans for obvious reasons, but yeah, I have suggested the Spurs should look at talented guys who are falling out of the league because of personality issues. When they were a contender, it made sense to avoid them. But they shouldn't convince themselves that blue-collar, character guys are going to have the same inherent advantages as they used to. Not only are those head-cases able to help put points on the board for the Spurs, but they make decent trade chips later on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Into space... somewhere...
    Boston makes sense from a fit for Thad and they have a TE without needing to send anyone back…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston makes sense from a fit for Thad and they have a TE without needing to send anyone back…
    That actually would work well. We need to move on something like this sooner rather then later before there are no dance partners left. If I’m Thad’s agent I'm telling him we can probably get him bought out mid season and he can sign wherever he wants if he just shows up for a few months and is a professional. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Thad is genuinely in the Spurs plans to be marginally compe ive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s no way SA should be buying Thad out at any time..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s no way SA should be buying Thad out at any time..
    Agreed but there is precedence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed but there is precedence.
    If you are talking about LaMarcus, he was one of San Antonio's biggest premier free agent signings ever and put in a good 5.5 years with the Spurs. Sure, there was some friction...but they made it work out and he helped keep the Spurs relevant for a while.

Thad Young is...well....Thad Young. He's done nothing to earn the loyalty card yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it is down to Luka, KBD and Eubanks, I kinda think Drew is gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Landale: "I'll be your Drew"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you are talking about LaMarcus, he was one of San Antonio's biggest premier free agent signings ever and put in a good 5.5 years with the Spurs. Sure, there was some friction...but they made it work out and he helped keep the Spurs relevant for a while.

Thad Young is...well....Thad Young. He's done nothing to earn the loyalty card yet.
    LMA, Pau and DeMarre. It doesn’t take much. Be a statesman and a buy out is on the table. They get to play for a contender and we get goodwill. Let’s try and get something in return before it gets to that point and there are few trading partners available is my argument but we are getting off topic here.

The loyalty card has become a race to the bottom. It’s like an Oprah giveaway; you getta….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA, Pau and DeMarre. It doesn’t take much. Be a statesman and a buy out is on the table. They get to play for a contender and we get goodwill. Let’s try and get something in return before it gets to that point and there are few trading partners available is my argument but we are getting off topic here.

The loyalty card has become a race to the bottom. It’s like an Oprah giveaway; you getta….
    They got rid of Carroll just so they didn't have to keep looking at his stupid ass outfits, tbh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jack is massively overrated by Spurs fans for obvious reasons, but yeah, I have suggested the Spurs should look at talented guys who are falling out of the league because of personality issues. When they were a contender, it made sense to avoid them. But they shouldn't convince themselves that blue-collar, character guys are going to have the same inherent advantages as they used to. Not only are those head-cases able to help put points on the board for the Spurs, but they make decent trade chips later on.
    Like Marcus Morris?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would not be surprised at all if this re ed FO flat out cut Luka
    I'd be on a hiatus, **if they do this,** until Wright is gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They got rid of Carroll just so they didn't have to keep looking at his stupid ass outfits, tbh
    We will never know but if 75% of San Antonio Spurs fans have a problem with my style i’m probably doing something right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would make sense they didn't waive him so he at least got guaranteed dollars. Very Spursy way of cutting a guy that had pit in time with the organization.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like Marcus Morris?
    What is the argument here? Morris got double to play in NYC, prick move but tell me you wouldn't do the same? Also, he wasn’t falling out of the league. The San Antonio Spurs really have become Hoosiers west; fans and all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like Marcus Morris?
    Nah. More like Kevin Porter Jr or Josh Jackson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good signing. I'm guessing it's two years at the minimum with some of it guaranteed. In exchange for the bit of guaranteed money, I'm assuming the second year is a totally non-guaranteed. Even if the entire first year is guaranteed, I like the signing. KBD on a minimum-ish deal is a helpful -- if unexciting -- piece to a bench unit.

I'm assuming that means Jeffries gets the second two-way contract unless someone more interesting emerges. Jeffries would be a good two-way contract but not so good that the Spurs should rush to lock him in.

Roster-wise, yeah, Aminu is the only obvious cut. I'd be really surprised if it's Landale or Eubanks. Landale is interesting enough to keep around for at least a year and Eubanks has shown enough to stick at his price tag.

It looks like it could come down to KBD vs. Samanic. It's tough to get a read one what the Spurs actually think of Samanic. There's a chance he's on thin ice -- but there's also a chance that his roster spot is completely safe. Hard to tell. I want the Spurs to keep him and give him a chance to earn notable minutes .... but a lot of the issues with Samanic in Europe were behind the scenes (not a hard worker, aloof, etc.) so it's quite possible that the Spurs have seen enough and want him gone.

If Zollins' ankle bone explodes again before the start of the season, I'd imagine he gets cut. It's also very probable that the Spurs have various roster-trimming trades on the table.

Even in a scenario where the Spurs end up cutting KBD despite owing him guaranteed money, that's NBD, tbh. It's worth locking him in now and worry about the roster cuts at a later date.

Thread Information