Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Yeah...I gave that consideration. But they had plenty of time for him to pick a different gun. He should have left their neighborhood with something different as his main weapon.
    And I still don't understand why he left it in the store. Not a huge deal. I still like the story.
    but to your point there was a scene in episode 3 where ellie was telling joel to take more guns since they are all just lying around or up on a wall, and he said no for some reason iirc

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    but to your point there was a scene in episode 3 where ellie was telling joel to take more guns since they are all just lying around or up on a wall, and he said no for some reason iirc
    I think he was saying no to her having a gun. In any event, they should have loaded up and he should have been walking around with something more effective than what he had. It looked like Bill and Frank had any weapon you could want and still Joel is carrying around a hunting rifle. It just doesn't make much sense. Not that it takes away much from the show but it's just something that stands out to me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was totally bored with this one. And why didn't they take more firepower from Bill and Frank's. He should be walking around with something better than a hunting rifle. And why did he leave the hunting rifle anyway?
    Yeah that is a good question. I can only assume they had more guns in the truck, but left it all there when they ran.

While I enjoyed most of the scenes with Joel and Ellie, I really didn't care for anything else. We already have David coming up, not even to mention the final act... I don't see why we had to dedicate screentime to new villains. In this case, the hunters in the game were good enough. What Joel and Ellie learn about them in their travels was all the information the audience needed - they overthrew Fedra at the QZ and now are ambushing/robbing from trespassers in order to survive.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah that is a good question. I can only assume they had more guns in the truck, but left it all there when they ran.

While I enjoyed most of the scenes with Joel and Ellie, I really didn't care for anything else. We already have David coming up, not even to mention the final act... I don't see why we had to dedicate screentime to new villains. In this case, the hunters in the game were good enough. What Joel and Ellie learn about them in their travels was all the information the audience needed - they overthrew Fedra at the QZ and now are ambushing/robbing from trespassers in order to survive.
    Hard agree. Don't see the point of adding this whole backstory and it seems kinda pointless. I guess they want us to feel worse for Henry and Sam? Idk, i always disliked Henry in the game

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    co-signed re: not really needing to get to know the hunters on a personal level

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    insta post wouldn't work nm

Name
    Dick
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Arkansas Razorbacks
    2 episodes in and it’s pretty good overall. But there’s something odd about the way this show is shot and lit that is off-putting. It gives it the feel of actors on a soundstage, rather than an immersive world. It just doesn’t feel quite real, and kinda looks like an hour long show on ABC, not a prestige HBO drama. It felt like that ever since they released that first image of Pedro & Ellie looking at the plane wreck.
    Last edited by Monostradamus; 02-10-2023 at 11:51 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Aging down Sam and making him deaf actually worked well. I liked him a lot better than I did in the game. He came off as a mopey -up in the game, where as here he required the help of his brother a lot more because of his disability. And his relationship with Ellie was a lot stronger and more believable. Having Sam tell her about the bite and what followed were done really well.

I still stand by my last point that seeing the hunters' backstory was 100% unnecessary and just took time away from the four people we're supposed to care about in this episode. The storyline didn't need to be as complicated as they made it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Aging down Sam and making him deaf actually worked well. I liked him a lot better than I did in the game. He came off as a mopey -up in the game, where as here he required the help of his brother a lot more because of his disability. And his relationship with Ellie was a lot stronger and more believable. Having Sam tell her about the bite and what followed were done really well.

I still stand by my last point that seeing the hunters' backstory was 100% unnecessary and just took time away from the four people we're supposed to care about in this episode. The storyline didn't need to be as complicated as they made it.
    yeah i feel that way too. guess they just really wanted to give henry more of a backstory than "hey i got trapped here just like you"... and i think it worked in that they gave an effective parallel story to joel.

henry killed that great leader dude which had the potential to end the resistance movement and cause even more fedra harm, and he did it all to save his brother. even kathleen was saying that one life isn't worth all of this. its the same dilemma joel faces with ellie.

but i couldnt be bothered to care about kathleen or her bearded companion (who apparently was the voice actor for Tommy in the game)

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    the bloater also felt unnecessary and imo felt out of place. i think the swarm of infected already did what it was supposed to do by derailing fedra's pursuit and causing our people to further flee. what did the bloater accomplish that the runners/clickers didnt other than being a spectacle to watch?

i also thought they were just going to forego the bloaters altogether which would have been fine. the show is meant to appeal to a broader audience than the games, and the whole cordyceps thing is based on a semblance of believability. on that front, the bloater kind of jumps the shark a bit. for me, it was definitely fun to watch and the visuals were great. i just dno how well it will sit with non gamers

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    the bloater also felt unnecessary and imo felt out of place. i think the swarm of infected already did what it was supposed to do by derailing fedra's pursuit and causing our people to further flee. what did the bloater accomplish that the runners/clickers didnt other than being a spectacle to watch?

i also thought they were just going to forego the bloaters altogether which would have been fine. the show is meant to appeal to a broader audience than the games, and the whole cordyceps thing is based on a semblance of believability. on that front, the bloater kind of jumps the shark a bit. for me, it was definitely fun to watch and the visuals were great. i just dno how well it will sit with non gamers
    Apparently there was a discussion/debate about whether they should do the bloaters or not, so I'm assuming this will be the only time one shows up this season. Personally I don't have a problem with it. It's a visual way of differentiating how long somebody has been infected. I always thought that the bloaters and maybe even the shamblers in Part 2 were the ones that've been infected for around 20 years.

The infected have shown up so infrequently here that I hope they didn't just introduce that whole tendril gimmick in episode 2 and then never mention it again.
    Last edited by Xevious; 02-13-2023 at 01:16 PM.

Name
    Dick
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Arkansas Razorbacks
    Episode 3 was fantastic. Nick Offerman’s best dramatic work aside from Devs. Only gripe is that it was a little cliche to use “On The Nature Of Daylight” but it’s still a great song. Lighting is still weird, but it worked better for this episode. Pedro and Ellie finally showed a little on-screen chemistry at the end, so that’s promising.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks

Yeah as someone who didn't play the games, that's really the first scene where it looked like a show that was based on a video game and felt like fan service. Didn't bother me too much though.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

You knew it was coming after you saw the ground nearly collapse in that one building from one of the infected underground.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    That hits you in the feels when Ellie writes "I'm sorry" on top of Sam's grave after her blood couldn't save him.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Also next episode is this Friday. Guess they're moving to Friday from now on?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That hits you in the feels when Ellie writes "I'm sorry" on top of Sam's grave after her blood couldn't save him.
    They did a fantastic job with the Ellie and Sam friendship for the limited time they had.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    I didn’t notice that. That’s an odd change

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think it was because of the Super Bowl.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    no that was just last week cause of the superbowl. im not seeing anything that shows this week's episode coming out on friday. everywhere says sunday

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    no that was just last week cause of the superbowl. im not seeing anything that shows this week's episode coming out on friday. everywhere says sunday
    Damn thought I saw it in the ad for this week's episode but nope, watched it again and not there and you're right.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Good episode but somehow he has his hunting rifle he left behind in Episode 4 I think.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They made Maria black. Reeeeee wokeness reeeeeee

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    i liked the episode... but man, did they really burn the whole "you better point at the same spot on the map" shtick for that scene? or are they just showing this as a tactic of his and will be a callback later

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i liked the episode... but man, did they really burn the whole "you better point at the same spot on the map" shtick for that scene? or are they just showing this as a tactic of his and will be a callback later
    Well, they got to the right spot on the map being the college. And it looked like the people had bailed for some reason. I think it was just for comedy relief. I didn't really mind it.
    Why the does Joel not have a beard by this point? Is he shaving every week?

Thread Information