Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    cant even think of any logical or rational pop defense from a sniffer perspective. old man really is legit going senile, no other way to explain it. last night its like he wanted to give kawhi an easy W for all the booing in the last two games or something, how else can anyone explain these lineups. no sane coach who is trying to win games would do this

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another dissapointment. I still believe alot of this failure is more on the coaching staff. Players are who they are, but coaches have to put them in the position to succeed. Their is no coaching experience to challenge Popovich for his rotations. I believe Ettorre Missina would be in Popovichs ear telling him changes need to be made to save the season. Instead the Spurs continue to do the same thing, same players, same rotations, ...same results. Inconsistent play and a loss. If Spura are too slow, small and unathletic against a team. Start and play your young players and see what they can do. If Keldon Johnson could do HALF of what he is doing in the GLeague in a actual game, and the Spurs start Lonnie Walker over Forbes....the Spurs are at least a .500 team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The day we got blown out by Kawhi was coming. This is all part of the healing process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well Pop's grade hits home. Most of the time we'll lose with Forbes playing like this. He alone is going to cost us more losses when starting. Surely Tim and Becky have brought this up. Please let there be a trade coming.

Thanks for the grades. I watched some of the game and in the 3rd quarter, poured myself a drink and tried to forget what I had just seen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully a loss like this is sobering, and a clear picture that change needs to be made. Not a lot of hopes for this but we've got to make some trades, the sooner the better.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supposed floor-spacers Forbes and Belinelli being outshot percentage-wise by both White and Walker. If those guys had the same opportunities and roles, they'd get them up at the same attempts also.
    Walker yes, but people keep trying to perpetuate this myth that Derrick doesn't have opportunities. Derrick can shoot anytime he wants. He minimizes himself by being scared and timid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't watch it. So thanks for the grades. Timvp, can I get your honest opinion, no jokes, just a straight up intellectual opinion behind Pop's rotation, in particularly why is he not playing Walker or Carroll over Beli and Forbes? Edit* and not playing White and Murray together.
    Ironically, despite the Pop-hates-threes meme, he's playing Beli and Forbes to get bulk three-point shooting on the floor. I assume he also views Beli's veteran knowhow as a plus.

I'm assuming White and Murray don't play due to lack of spacing. That theory was furthered by the fact that in order for Pop to comfortably play White next to Murray in the most recent Rockets game, he sat DeRozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know in the past you have said not to blow the team up until the playoffs aren't reachable, but even if they're only two games out of the playoffs, this is a bad team. A bad team that would only have a shot at the playoffs because the mid tier teams in the west all suck this year and making them with a sub-.500 record is reasonable. But what's the point of making the playoffs with a team that has no shot whatsoever of an pulling upset? Might as well just blow this up for draft position because giving minutes to DeRozan, Aldridge, Gay, Mills, Belinelli, etc isn't going to do anything to help the team's young talent improve and they don't look close to being a good team. It's finally time to see if they can land anything decent for the vets.
    It's not a bad argument but I'm not on board with the teardown yet. The Spurs have spent so much time and effort retaining their corporate knowledge and culture that a messy teardown has more risks than reward, IMO. Maybe if there were a couple superstar players in the draft but the top of the draft board looks really damn weak. The Spurs are like a hot week or two away from firmly being in the playoffs so they should just keep on going.

You do a midflight now, you could have Aldridge sulking and demanding a trade, Gay reverting back to his reputation and becoming aloof again and/or DeRozan at Jack in the Box contemplating his ultimate order. Becoming the Knicks without the big market isn't worth a move up in a draft that looks astonishingly devoid of top tier talent this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember when OP was rock hard that his God decided to bench Lonnie after the 1st Clippers game because he saw something in him...

Sounds like the Chief Sniff Officer is coming to terms with the dementia-riddled that's ruining the only relevant thing in Fat Antonio
    Eh, it was a bad game. Tough team to coach, if we're being intellectually honest and not trolling. Pop needs to do better, though, obviously.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ironically, despite the Pop-hates-threes meme, he's playing Beli and Forbes to get bulk three-point shooting on the floor. I assume he also views Beli's veteran knowhow as a plus.

I'm assuming White and Murray don't play due to lack of spacing. That theory was furthered by the fact that in order for Pop to comfortably play White next to Murray in the most recent Rockets game, he sat DeRozan.

The strange obsession with spacing is one of the more confusing aspects of Pop's current rotation. Spacing is great when you have a lot of off ball movement and drive-and-kick ball handlers.

When your three best scorers get their points by grinding out tough twos in the midrange, I don't understand the idea of playing some of the worst defenders in the league to "space the floor". No intelligent team is going to double team Demar Derozan on midrange postups in 2019.

I would think, given that teams look like the Harlem Globetrotters when they play against us currently, shoring up the defense at the cost of a defender taking another step closer to Demar while he pounds the air out of the ball inside the 3pt line would be a simple decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I missed the game so it gives me good insight. Cheers. But I do have to ask how so many of them get average (C) or passing (D) grades after an abomination like this? Only Pop failed by this scale and barely apparently with an "F+" Move that up to a D- and even he "passes."
    "
    That's mostly due to the Clippers playing an A or even an A+ game and the Spurs playing a C game. If that happens, Clippers win a blowout. They're obviously a much better team. Add in some inefficient coaching, some hard to quantify malaise and you have a game that's over by the middle of the third quarter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's mostly due to the Clippers playing an A or even an A+ game and the Spurs playing a C game. If that happens, Clippers win a blowout. They're obviously a much better team. Add in some inefficient coaching, some hard to quantify malaise and you have a game that's over by the middle of the third quarter.
    still sniffing I see. Of course they played an A game if Belinelli and Forbes are out there at the same time. That's like shooting an open shot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    still sniffing I see. Of course they played an A game if Belinelli and Forbes are out there at the same time. That's like shooting an open shot
    Okay.

In a scenario where Pop coaches a perfect game but the players play at a C level and the Clippers play at an A level, what do you think the outcome would be?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop trying to win a F -

Pop trying to Tank a A +

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a bad argument but I'm not on board with the teardown yet. The Spurs have spent so much time and effort retaining their corporate knowledge and culture that a messy teardown has more risks than reward, IMO. Maybe if there were a couple superstar players in the draft but the top of the draft board looks really damn weak. The Spurs are like a hot week or two away from firmly being in the playoffs so they should just keep on going.

You do a midflight now, you could have Aldridge sulking and demanding a trade, Gay reverting back to his reputation and becoming aloof again and/or DeRozan at Jack in the Box contemplating his ultimate order. Becoming the Knicks without the big market isn't worth a move up in a draft that looks astonishingly devoid of top tier talent this year.
    They're a hot week from being a just below .500 playoff team? Meh, so what? That's not a team with much of a chance to be compe ive in a first round playoff series. I just don't know what they're really risking by getting rid of a sharply declining Aldridge, DeRozan who they will have no business bringing back this summer, Gay who doesn't make much sense to have in his mid 30s, a Bellineli they have no business even playing, and Mills who while having a pretty good season is still in the way of their young talent. What's the upside of keeping a team together that's on pace to win 32 games even after a very easy schedule early on? I think the downside of keeping them together is huge because it's keeping Murray, White, and Walker off the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than play it out, Spurs have run out of options. LMA and DeRozan are empty-stats "stars" with little trading value, and the Spurs youth movement is decidedly not-ready-for-prime-time.
    Probably not a franchise player in the draft, so the future looks mediocre at best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're a hot week from being a just below .500 playoff team? Meh, so what? That's not a team with much of a chance to be compe ive in a first round playoff series. I just don't know what they're really risking by getting rid of a sharply declining Aldridge, DeRozan who they will have no business bringing back this summer, Gay who doesn't make much sense to have in his mid 30s, a Bellineli they have no business even playing, and Mills who while having a pretty good season is still in the way of their young talent. What's the upside of keeping a team together that's on pace to win 32 games even after a very easy schedule early on?
    The upside is the Spurs are able to extend the continuity and a winning culture (although the definition of "winning" is stretched in this scenario, admittedly) and avoid becoming the Knicks or the Suns or whichever perpetual bottom feeder you want to list.

I think the downside of keeping them together is huge because it's keeping Murray, White, and Walker off the floor.
    Even keeping this team together, there are more than enough minutes to go around. It shouldn't be difficult for Murray and White to play 28-30 MPG and Walker to playing ~25 MPG.

Plus, at this stage of their development, I don't even want them playing huge minutes. With Murray coming back from the torn ACL and White dealing with multiple plantar issues over the last two years, do you really want them playing 35-40+ minutes in close games? I don't. I don't want them playing 20 MPG either but somewhere between 28-30 is a sweet spot where they can develop but not risk injury. Walker, too, probably shouldn't be averaging 30+ MPG at this stage of his career given his two knee surgeries and his recent scare. Walker playing 25-ish MPG is his sweet spot, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus, at this stage of their development, I don't even want them playing huge minutes. With Murray coming back from the torn ACL and White dealing with multiple plantar issues over the last two years, do you really want them playing 35-40+ minutes in close games? I don't. I don't want them playing 20 MPG either but somewhere between 28-30 is a sweet spot where they can develop but not risk injury. Walker, too, probably shouldn't be averaging 30+ MPG at this stage of his career given his two knee surgeries and his recent scare. Walker playing 25-ish MPG is his sweet spot, IMO.
    Do you honestly think Pop can/will turn around to playing DJ/White/Lonnie together eventually without the team making any trades? There's honestly not a lot of ways to manage those minute avg without significant overlapping of the three, which Pop has seemed remarkably averse to. Additionally, which would be your preferred draft pick if the Spurs were tanking this season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

okay, I see how the scale works. Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So, is it your contention that the likes of LMA and Dumbmar actually UPHOLD Spurs’ culture?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The upside is the Spurs are able to extend the continuity and a winning culture (although the definition of "winning" is stretched in this scenario, admittedly) and avoid becoming the Knicks or the Suns or whichever perpetual bottom feeder you want to list.
    I kind of fear the winning culture is dead anyways. Leonard was always going to leave to LA I guess (otherwise why walk from a perfect situation in Toronto after having left from a really good situation in San Antonio?), but I still can't forget Aldridge trying to get traded. And how much accountability can there be when Belinelli and Forbes are still getting lots of minutes in roles they're not earning on the floor?

Even keeping this team together, there are more than enough minutes to go around. It shouldn't be difficult for Murray and White to play 28-30 MPG and Walker to playing ~25 MPG.

I can't argue with the minutes restrictions, but god it's frustrating not seeing the young guys play together enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know in the past you have said not to blow the team up until the playoffs aren't reachable, but even if they're only two games out of the playoffs, this is a bad team. A bad team that would only have a shot at the playoffs because the mid tier teams in the west all suck this year and making them with a sub-.500 record is reasonable. But what's the point of making the playoffs with a team that has no shot whatsoever of an pulling upset? Might as well just blow this up for draft position because giving minutes to DeRozan, Aldridge, Gay, Mills, Belinelli, etc isn't going to do anything to help the team's young talent improve and they don't look close to being a good team. It's finally time to see if they can land anything decent for the vets.
    Welcome to Truthville, population you

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a bad argument but I'm not on board with the teardown yet. The Spurs have spent so much time and effort retaining their
    corporate knowledge and culture that a messy teardown has more risks than reward, IMO. Maybe if there were a couple superstar players in the draft but the top of the draft board looks really damn weak. The Spurs are like a hot week or two away from firmly being in the playoffs so they should just keep on going.

You mean, attempting in vain to retain?

What risk? They're one of the worst teams in the league (and for what it's worth, every projection system has them getting even worse).

The top of the draft looks underwhelming to say the least, but at the same time, you never know and logic dictates that the higher you pick (or lower, depending on how you view it), the better the odds of striking gold.

Despite health, continuity and a middling sos, they've had maybe 2 comfortable-ish wins on the season. They've also pulled a bunch of games out of their ass, mostly on the strength of Mills being on some doin' it for the culture , where he dragged their rotting carcases into a fight they wanted no part of and prevailed. This is who they are; there's no run coming.

That's long gone. They need to accept it and move on instead of thinking they can force feed it down current and future iterations throats through osmosis.

Don't let the Knicks and Suns, with their incompetent ownership, scare you. Sure, becoming contenders again will require extreme luck, but just being decent - good can happen relatively quickly, especially if their youth is as good as they seem to think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You mean, attempting in vain to retain?

What risk? They're one of the worst teams in the league (and for what it's worth, every projection system has them getting even worse).

The top of the draft looks underwhelming to say the least, but at the same time, you never know and logic dictates that the higher you pick (or lower, depending on how you view it), the better the odds of striking gold.

Despite health, continuity and a middling sos, they've had maybe 2 comfortable-ish wins on the season. They've also pulled a bunch of games out of their ass, mostly on the strength of Mills being on some doin' it for the culture , where he dragged their rotting carcases into a fight they wanted no part of and prevailed. This is who they are; there's no run coming.

That's long gone. They need to accept it and move on instead of thinking they can force feed it down current and future iterations throats through osmosis.

Don't let the Knicks and Suns, with their incompetent ownership, scare you. Sure, becoming contenders again will require extreme luck, but just being decent - good can happen relatively quickly, especially if their youth is as good as they seem to think.

i thnk sniffers are scared of spurs relocating because of losing but how is that any different from them losing now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure there is a way to fix this team in order to be a 'good' team, much less a contender. Take away a lot of minutes from LMA and DDR and you'll probably trigger a negative reaction from these proven vets. At any time when the youngsters are on the court, you can see they have physical ability but not a lot of BB IQ. They make too many mistakes or have limited skills needed to form a coherent unit.

If Pop is trying to pump up Marco or Forbes for trade bait, they aren't cooperating by playing their best with the minutes they are getting.

Even with the downside, I'd like to see more minutes for the young players just to see them compete and learn on the fly in real games.

Thread Information