Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hypothetical speaking (slow day)- if Golden State offered #7, Wiseman, and Wiggins for DJ and White would you take it?
    yeah I would.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It makes everybody play their original position. So while DJ might be a better player (I don’t think he is but let’s say he is) Ben is the better fit. White guards point guards, Lonnie SG, KJ SF, Ben PF, Goran/Jak/draft pick guards Center. We also would no longer be undersized and still be able to switch on defense.
    You can also just sign a 4 and move KJ to SF. would have better spacing as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can also just sign a 4 and move KJ to SF. would have better spacing as well.
    Johnson's going to have to learn to shoot to stay on the floor. He's just not good enough otherwise. You certainly don't pass up on Ben Simmons because you have Keldon locked in as a starter.

White, Vassell, Kispert, Simmons, Poeltl is probably a strong two-way unit that has fine size and spacing and all that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure they can, quite easily actually, especially if they don't guarantee Galinari's contract for 2022/23 or trade him.
    I think it’s less about Trae, and more about Hunters max, Hueter’s healthy sized deal, and even Reddish. In some ways Collins is the most expendable thing especially if Okangu grows into that role.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Lonnie would get it done. Also, including White (his salary) gets us enough room to still have max money to use of someone or split between a couple guys.
    I just won’t know if GSW would want both, for the same reason that many of us here think both don’t work here. But I see lots of value in 7+Wiseman.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Dejounte gonna look good in Purple and Gold armor.

#KLUTCH

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im here for it. I’ve been saying a bold offseason would be:

1. DDR (s&t), Murray, + 1 more asset for Ben
    2. Sign Collins
    3. Somehow keep #12

Build around Ben and Collins with hopefully 2 of White, Vessel, Johnson.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just won’t know if GSW would want both, for the same reason that many of us here think both don’t work here. But I see lots of value in 7+Wiseman.
    GS probably have bigger fish they will pursue but, if they can make a bigger deal this really helps them alot. DJ playing a role where he's doesn't consider himself as the alpha would be really good for him and his defense in that scheme fits well and White as a secondary ball handler gives them tons of depth and options to use on the wings. They could do alot worse...and if they are in the 'win-now' mode they claim to be in this helps them more the next couple years than Wiseman + #7.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it’s less about Trae, and more about Hunters max, Hueter’s healthy sized deal, and even Reddish. In some ways Collins is the most expendable thing especially if Okangu grows into that role.
    It's Okongwu and he's a five. He can guard a lot of fours, but he can't function next to another rim runner like Capela.

If/when they move on from Collins, expect Hunter to play more four.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well they'll certainly be unable to keep everyone but they have time to make these decisions. Hunter's new contract won't kick in until 23/24 when Capela and others would have expired. Theoretically they can pay Trae, Collins and Hunter, build around them and trade Huerter and Reddish. They're not pressed to make these decisions so early though. I expect them to shop Huerter and Okongwu soon.

Now if they don't think Collins is worth keeping over someone else then sure they could let him walk, but I don't think that'd be wise in terms of roster construction. They could also sign Collins and trade him in a year or two if they change their mind, provided they think he'd have value at the contract they'd give him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

2. Sign Collins
    3. Somehow keep #12

Ben Simmons at that price is a risk unless you have a truck full of shooters to put around him. I'd be on board with Collins over Ben though. I wonder if a sign and trade with Demar + Walker for Collins would be the only way Atlanta lets Collins go (assuming Spurs think Collins is our guy).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

2. Sign Collins
    3. Somehow keep #12

It's hard for me to see Ben and Poeltl on the court together. Keldon really wouldn't fit either next to Collins and Ben if you assume they are playing the 3 & 4 and you have a floor spacing 5. I'd probably prefer either Ben or Collins but not both unless I was willing to move DJ +White (for Ben) and Poeltl + KJ for other players. That's a ton change to the roster though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade for Ben and build a team around him. His shooting will improve, especially if he's with the Spurs

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade for Ben and build a team around him. His shooting will improve, especially if he's with the Spurs
    Can't build around someone with no killer instinct.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard for spurs to attract the top names. Ben's stock has dropped a lot and he's still got very high potential... Not saying he'll ever have TD or Manu level killer instinct, but it should grow as he matures

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s hard to be excited for Simmons when Spurs main challenge has been spacing as it is. Demar is so much better, whether you agree or not, and we’ve missed the last two playoffs. And now that Demar finally could be leaving and a chance to rebuild, then you bring in Simmons?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s hard to be excited for Simmons when Spurs main challenge has been spacing as it is. Demar is so much better, whether you agree or not, and we’ve missed the last two playoffs. And now that Demar finally could be leaving and a chance to rebuild, then you bring in Simmons?
    I also don't get it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I like Simmons defensive side but even with all that his mind is fragile he doesn't have that Killer instinct to win you games when they count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar is at the age where he isn’t gonna change or add to his game

But Simmons young enough and I’d think he wants to get better and redeem himself. If the Spurs staff feels he’s pretty much what he’s now despite his youth and he’s not gonna improve much in terms of shooting and overall growth , yeah doesn’t make sense to get him then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got a feeling I do that Simmons would not be happy playing in dusty ol SA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard for me to see Ben and Poeltl on the court together. Keldon really wouldn't fit either next to Collins and Ben if you assume they are playing the 3 & 4 and you have a floor spacing 5. I'd probably prefer either Ben or Collins but not both unless I was willing to move DJ +White (for Ben) and Poeltl + KJ for other players. That's a ton change to the roster though.
    Fair points, though, I’m OK with more turnover honestly. From a spacing perspective, I wonder if Simmons + Lauri wouldn’t be a better pairing than Simmons Collins?

You give up a lot on defense swapping Jak and Lauri, but on the other end playing White, Vassel, Johnson, Simmons would be one good defensive unit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got a feeling I do that Simmons would not be happy playing in dusty ol SA
    You think he LIKES the brutal big market media? SA is basically a free pass in that department.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think he LIKES the brutal big market media? SA is basically a free pass in that department.
    I think he likes the attention when it’s not critical. To me he rolls like a Kardasian and that ain’t SA. Maybe I’m not thinking about like you say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair points, though, I’m OK with more turnover honestly. From a spacing perspective, I wonder if Simmons + Lauri wouldn’t be a better pairing than Simmons Collins?

You give up a lot on defense swapping Jak and Lauri, but on the other end playing White, Vassel, Johnson, Simmons would be one good defensive unit.
    As I mentioned in the other thread, you use Poeltl as one of the main pieces going back to Philly and re-up Dieng while drafting a three-and-D big. The position would probably be a multi-year project, but it's better than committing a bunch of money to Mark because you want a stretch-five right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn I’m warming on this Simmons possibility. Draft Giddey and retain Mills too

But yeah, it could be the ticket to a potential franchise player, and international at that. The kid is only 24 and could be here in a long time. I see the planets aligning

Thread Information