Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good stuff, tbh

The two best offensive players on the team are DeRozan and White and the two worst defenders are DeRozan and Walker -- so that checks out. Gay's numbers are a bit surprising. It seems like he's a better offensive player than defensive player. Then again, advanced stats have always graded his defense a lot higher than an eye-test would predict. That's somewhat understandable because his length can usually make up for his slow feet -- even though the slowness of his feet stands out.
    Just curious. Do these advanced stats take into acoount the opposition man you're guarding becsuse we all see Demar gets hidden mostly since he terrible on d while Lonnie guarding the oppositions best man on man happens more often than not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Flip side of the coin is a self-appointed "expert fan" that believes in player potential based on advanced stats, despite said player(s) never fulfilling said potential.

lled.
    ? Not sure what you mean... are you saying Dieng hasn't lived up to being being a 21st pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just curious. Do these advanced stats take into acoount the opposition man you're guarding becsuse we all see Demar gets hidden mostly since he terrible on d while Lonnie guarding the oppositions best man on man happens more often than not.
    Depends on which advanced stats you're talking about. Some of them do. I haven't dug into this one.

What you said is true -- but it's clear why that's the case. DeRozan is a terrible individual defender and a not-quite-as-terrible help defender, so hiding him is always the best idea. Walker is an atrocious help defender (tbh, probably worse than DeRozan). Walker isn't a great individual defender but the best way to "hide" him is by putting him on a top-notch scorer and telling him not to rotate off of him. That allows him to think less and limits any complexities.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For plus-minus stats, I find the ESPN RPM (Real Plus-Minus) stat more closely aligned to reality. The ESPN one accounts for who was else on the court (both on your own team and the opponent), which means that bench players are rated appropriately for playing against lesser compe ion.

These are the Spurs ratings in ESPN RPM:

Derrick White (1.34)
    Dejounte Murray (1.27)
    Jakob Poeltl (0.33)
    Keldon Johnson (0.16)
    Rudy Gay (-0.20)
    Patty Mills (-0.66)
    DeMar DeRozan (-0.79)
    Trey Lyles (-1.10)
    Gorgui Dieng (-1.27)
    Devin Vassell (-1.77)
    Drew Eubanks (-1.89)
    Luka Samanic (-1.94)
    Keita Bates-Diop (-2.09)
    Lonnie Walker IV (-2.14)
    Quinddary Weatherspoon (-2.61)
    Tre Jones (-3.70)

Source: http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting but I disagree with a lot of these. For one offense should matter wayyyyy more than defense. Also if your model shows Gorgui Dieng is better than DDR or that Poeltl is better than Donovan Mitc and Beal then it's wrong.
    Why?

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well that tells me Lonnie sucks lol
    lonnie’s advanced stats are

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ask Mike D’Antoni how that whole ‘only offense matters’ thing works out.
    Great coach who was ahead of his time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great coach who was ahead of his time
    Damned straight. Just because the Spurs had a GOAT candidate coach doesn't mean MDA is bad. Probably a top 5-10 coach of the past 25 years.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was curious about how EPM differs from RPM, and I found this blog article where the EPM creators compared EPM with other all-in-one stats to show that EPM had better predictive value than the other stats. But given the fact that EPM was basically designed to win this metric, and that RPM came a close 2nd, I still think RPM is more realistic. But I'll add EPM to the my list of "other stats to check" (such as PER, Wins Produced, etc).

Blog article comparing all-in-one stats: https://dunksandthrees.com/blog/metric-comparison

Wins Produced per 48, if you're interested: https://www.boxscoregeeks.com/teams/..._wins_produced

Thread Information