Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Austin is a mix of la/ny combined” Lmaoooooooooooooooo shut up you have never been to Austin.
    Austin is a mix of wannabe LA/NY hipsters combined...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having an arena between the 2 metro areas, say like San Marcus, would bring in season ticket holders from both markets, as they coalesce into 1 market. That wouldn't be bad. Just the traffic. That would have to be fixed.
    Funny ive never heard of “San Marcus” ive heard of San Marcos though. If people want to see a Spurs game the can make that 1 hr drive.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Austin is a mix of wannabe LA/NY hipsters combined...
    Yes!!!!!!!! And they try very hard I see them every day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes!!!!!!!! And they try very hard I see them every day.
    I haven't been out there in a couple years but the last time I went out there it was way more congested. Not my cup of tea so I stay south an hour.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the past I would say Austin is a big deal but San Antonio is blowing up. They've done some really nice expansions to River Walk and blown up parks all over city. There's places to bike, run,hike everywhere now. I was recently downtown and so many spots remind me of Austin... particularly king william area. Only thing I'd give Austin is it's closeness to Lake Travis so there's water activities. I guess we have Medina Lake...so I don't know I think they're purposefully trying to make it more like Austin here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The crowd wouldn’t make it in time to the arena with how bad the traffic is in Austin It took me more than an hr to go from South Austin to somewhere East in the boonies at a break neck speed of five miles an hr on the highway. I had to take the toll roads back because going back the same way. That’s how they get you. Legally going 85 mph was nice though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't been out there in a couple years but the last time I went out there it was way more congested. Not my cup of tea so I stay south an hour.
    Well i work there and boy what a hole im in talks to transfer to San Antonio and get the out of there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well i work there and boy what a hole im in talks to transfer to San Antonio and get the out of there.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    “Austin is a mix of la/ny combined” Lmaoooooooooooooooo shut up you have never been to Austin.
    dont listen to anything this perosn says......san antonio people will do whatever it takes to convince themselves san antonio isnt boring.........decide for yourself Ice009......there is a reason why celebrites & atheltes are moving to austin from la & ny...............
    this is during rona just imagine a normal day pre/post rona

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one gives a about Austin. It's a small town compared to marquee destinations for FA which is LA,NYC,Miami,Houston. Those are the top places players want to go to. I never understand the Austin crowd in here that believes if the Spurs moved to Austin then suddenly their FA problems would be solved.
    Why the is Houston a marquee destination? And how is Austin not a better place than Houston? I've lived in both. Austin is way better than both SA and Houston.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why the is Houston a marquee destination? And how is Austin not a better place than Houston? I've lived in both. Austin is way better than both SA and Houston.
    Houston became a marquee destination in my eyes during the 2010's when they were able to get two marquee FA's in Dwight Howard and then later on Chris Paul to come down there. You also have to look at it from a player perspective. Houston is the 5th biggest metro in the country, has a large black population, and has a bigger club scene than Austin. All those things are important for the majority of players especially black players.

I have good friend that lives in Dallas, Texas but he has told me he's been to Austin,Houston. He said straight up Houston is on another level when it comes to entertainment than Austin. He also said Austin is your typical college town. I take his word for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As someone who's outside of Texas, no Austin is not a big draw as an FA destination - the big draws are Miami, NY, LA. After that, it's money...
    Austin metro is 2.2 million (29th)
    San Antonio metro 2.5 million (24th)
    Metro GDP Austin 26 SA 32
    Even combined they fall short of Miami, much less NY, LA
    Moving to Austin will not change much.

It's hard to know where things are headed. Since 1980 only two cities significantly outside the top 10 metro areas has won a le.
    San Antonio (5) and Cleveland

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dont listen to anything this perosn says......san antonio people will do whatever it takes to convince themselves san antonio isnt boring.........decide for yourself Ice009......there is a reason why celebrites & atheltes are moving to austin from la & ny...............
    I can careless whats boring and what isnt, im a grown man dude lmao!! Bottom line Austin is garbage period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moving to Austin might make sense for corporate relations. A lot of tech companies are here, so that could make for some good money from luxury boxes and advertisements. It's certainly not a free-agent destination, though.

That said, as an Austinite, I would prefer for SA to keep the Spurs and have a North SA arena. That way, the team is close enough to attend games but far enough to where it doesn't affect my city's taxes or traffic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t forget about all this fun as well bro. Austin is looking good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston became a marquee destination in my eyes during the 2010's when they were able to get two marquee FA's in Dwight Howard and then later on Chris Paul to come down there. You also have to look at it from a player perspective. Houston is the 5th biggest metro in the country, has a large black population, and has a bigger club scene than Austin. All those things are important for the majority of players especially black players.

I have good friend that lives in Dallas, Texas but he has told me he's been to Austin,Houston. He said straight up Houston is on another level when it comes to entertainment than Austin. He also said Austin is your typical college town. I take his word for it.
    I love both cities equally but at the end of the day the Houston vs Austin Lamborghini dealerships tells one all that need to know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless we're going to buy Lambos, no one cares about dealerships.

I'm not buying a Lambo.

The best things about Austin are the suburbs around it. There are some cool towns around Austin.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the spurs moved to Austin I’d stop supporting them honestly
    This makes no ing sense at all. Austin is literally right down the road and is a huge Spurs town.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This makes no ing sense at all. Austin is literally right down the road and is a huge Spurs town.
    I don’t give a . As a San Antonio native it would hurt knowing that the only great thing my sorry ass home town ever produced left for a hot new city up the road. It would make me sick.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t give a . As a San Antonio native it would hurt knowing that the only great thing my sorry ass home town ever produced left for a hot new city up the road. It would make me sick.
    I hear what you're saying but eh, I like both cities. I'll support them if they stay, or if they just so happen to move to Austin. I would not support them if they moved to ing Las Vegas. What's the ing point then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without prognosticating on what the Spurs will do, lol at any of you idiots thinking SA or Houston is better than Austin. Houston is a massive sprawl of suburbs and hole strip clubs. It’s not a marquee city, has a ty ing owner, and has nothing to boast about other than some really good shawarma. SA will always be a sleepy small town masquerading as a slightly larger town.

There is no other city in the US booming like Austin. Real estate prices are soaring because of the mass influx here. The city is becoming an economic hub with relocations like Tesla and Oracle (along with the mass amount of other tech companies). There’s more to do, a younger more urban vibe, and a better overall social climate. If you’re a young rich player who’s looking for corporate opportunities and the ability to party with some really attractive women, you’d be hard pressed to find a better city than Austin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thinking a millionaire NBA player cares about bar hopping on Rainey or 6th street after the game .

Not trying to make this an Austin vs San Antonio argument. Both are great cities, and pretty much every city/town in Texas has its charm.

Of course you have the Joe Rogan's who move from Cali to Texas who hype Austin/Texas like it is the best thing since sliced bread that is why the city gets even more appeal. That is where I can see that LA/New York hypel to it. Austin is a smaller SA with a much better (entertainment)/modern downtown area imo. Don't see a lot of differences outside of that & probably political views.

Most of the Spurs players either live right outside of downtown or the La Cantera area both really beautiful areas that have everything you need there. Outside of Jefferson who was trolling. I have not heard of any players say how boring or lame SA is. Even Charles Barkley mentions how great SA is even with all them big ol women out there . Duncan, Parker, and Gino still live here majority of the year so they know it's a great city to raise a family.

Most of the NBA teams either stay at Hotel Emma at the Pearl which has been recognized as one of the best hotels & area's in the country or the Grand Hyatt which is really nice. So it's not like the parts of SA they see outside of the AT&T Center aren't very nice.

I agree that Austin is booming and any relocation or expansion franchise (outside of NBA) should look at Austin. I think getting a MLS team is perfect for the city. At the end of day they will always be a college town like SA will always be a basketball town even if they ever got another franchise.
    Last edited by Ditty; 02-07-2021 at 02:08 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020...s-bureau-says/
    Doesn't show latest data but SA was growing faster than Austin

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Austin is literally right down the road and is a huge Spurs town.
    is it a big spurs town? i've never thought about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Austin is a more attractive city to young millionaires than SA. I would never live in Austin, because I dont mind the quiter life and prefer not to pay extravagant prices for a house. But that's not what the typical NBA player prefers/cares about. Hope my Spurs stay here obviously, but I do think Austin would be a more attractive FA destination.

Thread Information