Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems the San Antonio Spurs will be bringing over another foreign prospect next season.According to reports (via Basket-Infos), at a press conference today, Tony Parker announced the Spurs will bring over French guard and 2013 NBA draft pick, Livio Jean-Charles.

Tony Parker just gave the name of one of them. This is indeed his player Livio Jean-Charles . For the moment we do not know exactly what the terms of the contract but it is going to cross the Atlantic to join the Texans (Spurs).
    Jean-Charles spent last season with French club ASVEL, the same team Parkers owns and serves as President. He averaged 5.9 and 4.6 rebounds in 21 minutes in the regular season and 7.5 points, and 4.8 rebounds in 26 minutes over 11 games in the playoffs.

It should be noted, Livio suffered a torn right knee ACL in 2013 while playing for the French National team that required surgery, however, he has bounced back and has remained healthy.

Terms of the contract are unknown, however, the Spurs have been reported to sign another foreign prospect, Latvian forward Davis Bertans, to a minimum contract so expect Livio to be offered the same.

Livio is a 6'9 forward and can dribble-penetrate, and defensively can challenge at the rim. He has a nice midrange shot but needs to add size, and dribbling ability. In 2013, he stole the show at the Nike Hoop Summit which led him to declare himself for the 2013 draft.
    http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/sp...o-jean-charles
    Last edited by Uriel; 06-24-2016 at 09:00 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wtf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Posted this in the other offseason topic, but could this just be a partially-guaranteed training camp deal? Or would they likely not do that with someone like LJC?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Posted this in the other offseason topic, but could this just be a partially-guaranteed training camp deal? Or would they likely not do that with someone like LJC?
    Since he was a first rounder, it's guaranteed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sweet, I welcome all of the rookies, glad we aren't trying to roll with the same team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not surprising if true.

Here's hoping he turns into a poor man's Serge!

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Since he was a first rounder, it's guaranteed.
    He's essentially taking Butler's spot

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q51

After three years they have the option of either using the salary scale or signing him as if he was a free agent -- using their cap room or any available exception, with the standard raises. They can only do the latter if the player did not play intercollegiately in the interim. Such a contract must be for at least three seasons, and the salary in the first season must be greater than 120% of the applicable rookie scale amount.
    It doesn't explicitly say if those years have to be guaranteed, so I'm not too sure about that part.

Edit: Ignore what I said. They can just sign him with the rookie scale, so the first two years are guaranteed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also probably means no Mulitinov this summer. Doubt Pop carries more than 3 rookies (Bertans, LCJ, and Murray). Maybe Hanga since he's older?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utterly unimpressed by this player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will be interesting to get a chance to see him in the Spurs system. He does have decent size at 6'9".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q51

It doesn't explicitly say if those years have to be guaranteed, so I'm not too sure about that part.
    Eh, Bruno and I talked about this last year. It would likely be a major CBA issue if the first two seasons weren't guaranteed. Remember that the league doesn't believe in loopholes. the intention of that rule is to allow players to make more by waiting, not to allow teams to pay less by doing so.

All this is moot, however, because LJC would likely take the rookie-scale deal, which gives more flexibility to the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could this mean they're having trouble negotiating with Bertans and have moved on to their next import?

Or it might mean something about the future of Boris....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And btb, neither one is getting a minimum deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could this mean they're having trouble negotiating with Bertans and have moved on to their next import?

Or it might mean something about the future of Boris....
    Nah, it just means that LJC is a free agent and now has unilateral authority to take his rookie-scale deal. More practically, it means he and the team had previously agreed on this season, and the organization is keeping their word since LJC did them a solid by staying in France.

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh move.. Spurs attempt at going young.. Charles may wake up one day and get it but I don't know.,. Spurs will at least make him serviceable while he is here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan/Boban
    Aldridge/Diaw/Livio
    Kawhi/Kyle
    Green/Manu/Simmons
    Tony/Mills/Murray

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , probably means no Multinov even though he's the more polished prospect. Doesn't this FO realize we need to get better inside?

Picking up LCJ does nothing to help remedy that fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally. He pretty much wasted his time in France (sorry TP). I hope they bring Bertans over as well.

I'd be happy he if could become a Mbah Moute with more offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that roster has 3 rookies when the lights go on, Pop's aversion to playing kids must mean that he's gearing up to Thibodeau his vets next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that roster has 3 rookies when the lights go on, Pop's aversion to playing kids must mean that he's gearing up to Thibodeau his vets next season.
    I'm actually assuming there will be at least one more. No way they fill out that big-man rotation with all vets.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klay Thompson stopper?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will be interesting to get a chance to see him in the Spurs system. He does have decent size at 6'9".
    David West is 6'9". Didn't help against OKC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David West is 6'9". Didn't help against OKC.
    Would have been fine as a four. That's especially true given Jean-Charles' superior mobility and timing. My biggest worry , honestly is that he seems to have those Jeff Ayres stone hands.

Thread Information