Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    timvp

Name: Jermaine O'Neal
    Height: 6-11
    Weight: 242 lbs.
    Pos: FC
    Born: October 13, 1978, Columbia, SC
    Drafted: 1996, 1st round, 17th pick by Trail Blazers

O'Neal is a free agent this summer and I think he would be a great player next to Tim Duncan. I like his defense and passing, not to mention his good low post game. He could average close to 20 playing off of Duncan.

The question is whether he'll leave Indy. He's made it known he's a fan of Pop and says his main goal is to win a championship. However it would be hard for him to turn down more money and a go-to role to come to SA.

The more I think of it, the more I think he should be the number one option next summer.

Patrick Davis
    He's a balla, but would he be willing to be the second option in the post. I want his talent, but I don't want any trouble with him complaining and needing to be traded for some big contract with not so big talent. Maybe it won't come to that, he is one of my first options for this summer now. But I do worry.

freak
    for some reason i'm just not that interested in the spurs aquiring him.

if they do, i guess so.

if they don't, we'll be fine anyways.

o0drpill0o
    Jermaine... Ideally he would be a better guy for us than Kidd IMO. But by ideally I mean if he is willing to play second fiddle to Tim, and I am unsure if he would be. O'Neal is a great player; like timvp mentioned he is a really good passer and of course is an excellent post scorer and shot blocker. I don't think he and Duncan would get in each other's way on offense; TD is so versatile he would just start relying a little more on his medium range game.

I really doubt Jermaine will come here but if he does it means he is likely willing to play his role as the number two offensive option and big time defensive stopper. I don't think we really need his offense, but I'm sure he would want the ball in his hands a lot and he is good enough to warrant it. I would be happy if the Spurs added Jermaine but I would be willing to settle for a good defensive 4 or 5 a la PJ Brown or, I don't know, Keon Clark?

LiLRoCkBaLLa21
    I think we need the kandi man. Jerm would be ok but we need a player to keep duncan at PF and not have to play C.

Pooh
    Well I really don't see O'Neal leaving Indy. There's a lot of young talent on the Pacers, it would be a shame to just walk away.

I don't think he would be willing to share the spotlight with Tim, he'll want his touches at the ball. O'Neal's rough style fits right in where he's at, he could just be another "Rodman" down here as compared to what he is right now.

Personally, what the Spurs have isn't broken...I would just bring up whatever you have in the NBDL and go from there. Otherwise you'll be turning into basketball version of the Raiders, drafting names just to sell tickets.

freak
    does it hurt knowing the pacers will never win a championship?

young talent = usually make the playoffs in the east

Rabel 13
    if the spurs want to use all their cap space on one player...

this is the guy to get.

spurster
    Getting J. O'Neal (or Brand) and keeping Claxton would keep the Spurs current rotation basically intact and be a major improvement. This team is playing so well together that something like this is beginning to look like the first option.

DuffMcCartney
    Yeah I agree Jermaine O'Neal is the guy to get..as long as he knows his role. He is second to Duncan but he is a smart player and I am sure we would know that.

timvp
    The ironic thing is the Spurs almost landed him in '99 with the Sean Elliott exception money. It took a late push by the Trailblazers to keep him. Imagine if the Spurs could have groomed him the last three seasons2

Patrick Davis
    O'Neal would be a haas if he has Spurs coaching staff, and David teaching him the game. maybe we can get him now and take him to a new level.

timvp
    O'Neal is looking like he is the best option. If Parker can hold his own against Marbury, that should make it a lock.

GrandeDavid
    Got punked by my boys from Argentina in the World Championships. Listless effort by JO resulted in Manu and a coule of other guys posterizing him under the rim. I'm turned off on JO now, although I obviously am aware that he'd be a great asset to the Spurs, albeit an expensive one from the Leastern Conference where even DizzG could be an All Star.

MI21
    if the spurs want to use all their cap space on one player...

this is the guy to get.
    Good sir Rabel, you are a smart man.

I've been saying Jermaine should be the Spurs Number 1 option, since Shawn Marion signed his extension.

Btw, who gives a **** what he did in the WC? Bateer played well in the WC, and look at him.

Jimcs50
    pfc will be giving me $100 when this guy signs with us in July! This is why I am pulling for Indy to lose early in playoffs.

pfc2002
    heheheh... I will Jim. I can't loose. when he signs with Indy I get $100, if aliens land and then he signs with Spurs I'll be happy too (albiet with $100 less)

Ghost Writer
    Jermaine O'Neal has been the #1 option for this summer in my view since the Holt-Ing Pattern was established in 2001. The only reason why I've entertained other options is because he's not coming to San Antonio. He's Indiana's franchise player and I can't see him leaving after the Pacers reach the Finals this postseason.

DrEmilioLizardo
    He's Indiana's franchise player and I can't see him leaving after the Pacers reach the Finals this postseason.
    Finals? You HAVE been following the Pacers soap opera since the All-Star break haven't you? I think that Cleveland may have as many wins in that span...

When I think of the post All Star Pacers, only one word comes to mind: crater. They very well may not make it out of the first round, and it won't be because of lack of talent.

timvp
    If JO'Neal and the Pacers flame out in round one, it should make him really think of his options.

But when it comes down to it, I don't think he leaves Indy.

pfc2002
    I don't think he'll go even if Indiana get's bounced. I think Isiah will get canned and a good coach will take over.

The only way I see O'Neal moving is if Indiana tries to get cheap and I just don't see that happening

Ghost Writer
    Dr.EL, name me one Eastern "powerhouse" that played well since the All-Star Break.

timvp
    Phily?2

Guru of Nothing
    Look at the dollars, and look at the free agents - and look at the luxury tax threshold. Something has to give in Indiana, be it Miller, Miller, or O'Neal.

Thank goodness for the contracts of Artest, Mercer, Bender, and (especially) Croshere.

T Park Num 9
    Reggie Miller is prob the guy that will shave off a bit of his payroll to keep both.

While Id LOVE to signa Jermaine O'neal, him and Duncan together would just be UNREAL.

I highly doubt hes comin, hes Indiana's big guy and they will try everything they can to resign him.

His rumblings about seeing how the Pacers finish in the playoffs, and hed consider playing next to Duncan are nice and dandy, but its more than likely just grandstanding and positioning by a young guy lookin for his bling bling.

O'Neal would be great, but I highly doubt that hes comin.

Brad Miller is the more than likely candidate and MAYBE the better fit.

Thread Information