Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie unlocking his mid-range last night makes him a 3-level scorer. As long he keeps a healthy balance between all 3 (close 2s, mid-range, and 3s) and doesn't fall in love with any single one, then he's a championship level starter who other teams HATE because he can hit those big shots when the top options pass out. As far as s om goes, he would need to get more touches + be more efficient. I hope we can lock him up to a DJ-sized contract.

Speaking of DJ, if he maintains his finishing ability throughout the season it would make him elite among NBA guards. TP3 was a league anamoly throughout his career always being the only guard at the top of that statistic (close 2 field goal percentage), I believe. I think this is no coincidence that the Spurs drafted him with this purpose in mind, the system has relied on great finishers at the rim from our core guards in the past.
    And the floor is so much more open without Bryn Forms as his backcourt mate and DD LMA in caveman super low IQ two man stand around .

Free DJ! Rather continue to free him.
    Something came down this offseason. I say someone finally got to Popped.
    Loving this correct use of players and strategy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like Vassell. You can tell he has a pretty good basketball IQ. He moves pretty damn well off ball on offense and does a better job doubling/ hedge and recovering better than most of the veterans on this team on defense. He is a really good off ball defender just like has in school . When Derrick White comes back they have to find minutes for this guy.

the person I was most impressed with outside of Vessel was DJ. He played another good game back to back. He didn’t over help or gamble as much on defense like how he sometimes does and on offense he was aggressive but not overly aggressive which was good. He took care of the ball and didn’t take a lot of bad shots or pass up good shots. Hopefully he can keep this up. The way he has played the last couple of games is the reason the front office had faith in giving him that deal.

I still think the team can be better on defense but down the stretch they actually got a bit better on that side of the ball which is very encouraging. They have to do a better job on transition defense and guarding the 3 point line though.
    Last edited by D-Robinson 50 fan; 01-08-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good grades. We have some pretty high ceiling guys on the defensive side and this has always been Pop's MO and the right way of developing guys imo. Always start from the defensive side, build the right at ude and mentality there and then proceed to other end. Our main problem on the defensive end will be our interior defense because we dont have athletic bigs and some times that hurts us because we overcompensate there and leave wide open threes. We need White back to see if we really have something here or all this is fools gold and we should be focusing on tanking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was very impressed with Patty last night. I thought he should get an A+. He set up teammates all night long. His dribble penetration was a thing of beauty and that little set up move he did to create his only made 3 probably went unnoticed by people but it was beautiful. He faked like he was going to do the same move he did when he split the double team and scored, forcing the big man to get off balanced just a fraction before pulling up and hitting his 3. But his energy has been fantastic, his ball handling has improved so much and above all his decision making has finally matched his years in the league. Patty just looks confident going against any defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was very impressed with Patty last night. I thought he should get an A+. He set up teammates all night long. His dribble penetration was a thing of beauty and that little set up move he did to create his only made 3 probably went unnoticed by people but it was beautiful. He faked like he was going to do the same move he did when he split the double team and scored, forcing the big man to get off balanced just a fraction before pulling up and hitting his 3. But his energy has been fantastic, his ball handling has improved so much and above all his decision making has finally matched his years in the league. Patty just looks confident going against any defense.
    hope he drops 30 on Bryn Forbes

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supposedly, the Warriors were offering #2 for Aldridge because LaMarcus plays well against Anthony Davis (and Nikola Jokic).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie unlocking his mid-range last night makes him a 3-level scorer. As long he keeps a healthy balance between all 3 (close 2s, mid-range, and 3s) and doesn't fall in love with any single one, then he's a championship level starter who other teams HATE because he can hit those big shots when the top options pass out. As far as s om goes, he would need to get more touches + be more efficient. I hope we can lock him up to a DJ-sized contract.

Speaking of DJ, if he maintains his finishing ability throughout the season it would make him elite among NBA guards. TP3 was a league anamoly throughout his career always being the only guard at the top of that statistic (close 2 field goal percentage), I believe. I think this is no coincidence that the Spurs drafted him with this purpose in mind, the system has relied on great finishers at the rim from our core guards in the past.
    You can see Parker’s stamp on him, and not just finishing. He also has a knack for moving left to get off his mid range jumper. Does it all the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When the vets are dialed in, and our young guys are playing with the spunk and vigor, this team is going to be hard to beat. We took out the two teams that are penciled in to be the best in the league in consecutive games. I think we're in good shape for the future.

And there's an obvious difference in this team having LMA playing at a high level. We were a different team against LA. We didn't look outsized or overmatched at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is definitely not sustainable (and this is coming from one of the only real Murray fans on this forum), or it would be a legendary feat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lonnie talk

He was great last night... And the funny thing is, he's always had that midrange in his bag. He's a pure jump-shooter at every level, you don't see that kind of easy stroke often. Even during his G-League days, he was knocking down those shots; looks like it's all a matter of confidence and "feeling of belonging" with him. The fact that he was shooting in the face of AD and the defending champs, is a great sign - putting him in a starting position has clearly done wonders for his game and confidence, he hardly looks like the Lonnie of last season (well, still hasn't looked like Rockets Lonnie, but that was a career night anyways).

It's come to the point where I wonder what role would be best for White when coming back. I was adamant about getting him back in the SL before, but seeing the groove this team is playing with, we might seriously be better off just having him run the bench and dictate things from there. He can play and feed Poeltl, take a lot of shots for himself, and most importantly, play a lower amount of minutes, which helps keep up his body. It's clear that the SL needs not another ball-handler like White, but a pure shooter like Lonnie, to provide spacing and shot opportunities for the creators in DDR and DJ.

It's amazing that we might now have too many possible good lineups, when only a year ago we almost couldn't feature a net-positive lineup without a defensive sieve being on the floor. The roster wasn't overhauled this off-season, but the changes made were absolutely key. I think a major reason that the team is playing so well and engaged, is that everyone can be really held accountable and brings on the energy. Last season, we would've closed yesterday's game playing F*rbes for spacing, and LBJ would've chased him down and closed the game shooting over him. Night and day difference, tbh.

Totally agree on DJ as well. Seeing even the mighty ST tides finally begin to turn on him is a wondrous thing , and shows how much he's evolved as a player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4-4 after having the toughest Strength of Schedule (according to https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/ran...ength-by-other and http://powerrankingsguru.com/nba/str...f-schedule.php) isn't too bad for this young team.

Letting that Utah game get so out of hand is really the only disappointment so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4-4 after having the toughest Strength of Schedule (according to https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/ran...ength-by-other and http://powerrankingsguru.com/nba/str...f-schedule.php) isn't too bad for this young team.

Letting that Utah game get so out of hand is really the only disappointment so far.
    And without LMA and White for a majority of those games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clip #1

Clip #2

Clip #3

Clip #4

I looked at all of LeBron's field goals from last night.

Interestingly:

-There was only four of his 15 field goal attempts where Keldon covered LeBron. That's what I have in the four clips above. I looked at his other attempts to make sure it wasn't a product of Keldon switching off LeBron due to a broken rotation and/or LeBron blew by Keldon, but I didn't see that at all for the other attempts. Chinook
    -On many of LeBron's assists, it was when he was being covered by Keldon. Was he fearing Keldon would get the better of him and made a pass to get bailed out?
    -LeBron caught Keldon out of position in clip #1.
    -Rudy Gay actually did a good job covering LeBron last night.

Overall, I wouldn't look at this night as a negative for Keldon even though LeBron made those shots. LeBron is a rare high IQ player who knows when to pass it out when he has a good defender on him.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty only hit one three, but he got fouled on another and hit all 3 free throws. That should count imo, meaning he has 2+ threes in every game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supposedly, the Warriors were offering #2 for Aldridge because LaMarcus plays well against Anthony Davis (and Nikola Jokic).
    This never happened.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clip #1

Clip #2

Clip #3

Clip #4

Interestingly:

-There was only four of his 15 field goal attempts where Keldon covered LeBron. That's what I have in the four clips above. I looked at his other attempts to make sure it wasn't a product of Keldon switching off LeBron due to a broken rotation and/or LeBron blew by Keldon, but I didn't see that at all for the other attempts. Chinook
    -On many of LeBron's assists, it was when he was being covered by Keldon. Was he fearing Keldon would get the better of him and made a pass to get bailed out?

Overall, I wouldn't look at this night as a negative for Keldon even though LeBron made those shots. LeBron is a rare high IQ player who knows when to pass it out when he has a good defender on him.
    Lebron went to the line many times as well which wouldn't count as FGA. You'd need to take a look at his FTA and see if Keldon was the primary defender on those as well. Just from eye-test yesterday, it seemed to me like Keldon wasn't able to hold his own and Gay was the better defender, but then again its Lebron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron went to the line many times as well which wouldn't count as FGA. You'd need to take a look at his FTA and see if Keldon was the primary defender on those as well. Just from eye-test yesterday, it seemed to me like Keldon wasn't able to hold his own and Gay was the better defender, but then again its Lebron.
    Good point. I just looked and here is what I found,

Spurs players responsible for fouling LeBron on the shot:

Keldon - 2FT
    DeRozan - 2FT
    Gay - 2FT
    Gay - 2FT
    Vassell - 2FT
    Poetl - 1FT (and 1)

I'll post that one additional clip of Keldon fouling LeBron on the shot shortly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he has the ideal biotype to go against Lebron, Kawhi and Giannis of the world, he often seems to hinder these guys just by being there (when relatively well physically)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's the one time Keldon was responsible for LeBron getting to the line:

I looked at the other FTA's and confirm that Keldon was not on the floor during those times.
    SPURSCHAMP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he has the ideal biotype to go against Lebron, Kawhi and Giannis of the world, he often seems to hinder these guys just by being there (when relatively well physically)
    I haven't looked up the modern measurements, but isn't Rudy a bit taller and also longer than Keldon? He's the perfect modern 4 tbh, pity that he's gotten so old, because a younger Rudy (better coached into a better player than he was in his prime) could've been extremely useful to our core.

It all boils down to the simple fact that Keldon is not a PF. He's a SF first and foremost, and can slide to the 4 when needed (and do a surprisingly great job at it, even against stars like Zion or Siakam), but the Spurs shouldn't rely on him to play PF consistently or long-term. He's not really fit for it, and his offensive game suffers as a result of the wearing down. I don't doubt that we'll see Keldon's offensive game bounce back once he's matched up with SFs instead of strong, physical PFs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's the one time Keldon was responsible for LeBron getting to the line:

I looked at the other FTA's and confirm that Keldon was not on the floor during those times.
    SPURSCHAMP
    Typical LeBron bias. Let me just barrel right into my defender because I am bigger and stronger, and I get two free throws.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clip #1

Clip #2

Clip #3

Clip #4

Interestingly:

I don't think it was a negative night for Johnson. This is his first year as a rotation player. Not stopping Lebron isn't a strike against him. My complaint that started this was someone posting shooting stats and implying that was a good measure of Keldon playing great defense. Those stats don't really say a lot when they're cut that way, and folks tweeting them out without context pushes false narratives and takes away credit from other players who should also get recognition. Not to hate on Murray, but someone tried posting stats from last year suggesting he shut down a lot of guards, but players scored on him very well last year. That doesn't mean he's a horrible defender or anything, but if you can't be honest about who a guy is, you end up having to defend them against any little criticism because you've built up this unrealistic image of them you have to maintain.

I think Johnson deserves tons of credit for checking Williamson. I think he did a very good job on Siakam, but that dude is self-sabotaging right now on his own. I don't think he embarrassed himself against Lebron and Kawhi either. All in all, he's been a very solid option at PF that has allowed DMDR to stay fresh and Pop to not have to play Lyles. I have hopes that he'll be a very good two-way player. But he's not a shut-down guy and shouldn't be thought of as such.

I th

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't worry, Chinook. I'm not drewshowing you by posting these as a way to passive aggressively respond to you or anyone else. These are informational posts only for fans to understand how well (or how bad) Johnson defends other players.

All in all, I'm just tired of reading uneducated posts around here from posters who pull out of their asses.

These posts can be used as evidence that can't be argued against.

Thread Information