View Poll Results: "Wyatt Earp" or "Tombstone"?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wyatt Earp

3 6.12%
  • Tombstone

46 93.88%
  • Both Sucked (and so does the person submitting this vote)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Optomistic but Realistic MrChug's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ONCE AND FOR ALL-Which was the better movie? It has to be broken down too: I think the characters following (respectively) made and/or broke the movie...

Which was the better script?
    Who was the better Wyatt?
    (Kevin Costner or Kurt Russell)Who was the better Virgil Earp? (Michael Madsen or Sam Elliott)Who was the better Ike Clanton? (Jeff Fahey or Stephen Lang)
    Who was the better Doc Holliday? (Dennis Quaid or Val Kilmer)Who was the better Sheriff Behan? (Mark Harmon or Jon Tenney)Who was the better Curly Bill Brosius? (Lewis Smith or Powers Boothe)

There's alot to discuss if you watched both of these movies. (and by the way I'm not even going to BEGIN to argue who was a hotter Josie Marcus (not that Dana Delaney isn't as appealing a woman as there is, but that Joanna Going has me searching for her movies ).

My pick(s) are going to be obvious, but I wanna know what you think...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

FTW!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Tombstone. No doubt.

During my late teens I would watch Tombstone everynight for the better part of 2 months.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    the better film....wyatt earp. for entertainment and action....tombstone.

Which was the better script? see above
    Who was the better Wyatt? Kurt Russell
    Who was the better Virgil Earp? Sam Elliott
    Who was the better Ike Clanton? Stephen Lang
    Who was the better Doc Holliday? Dennis Quaid <-his portrayal of the man was probably more accurate
    Who was the better Sheriff Behan? Jon Tenney
    Who was the better Curly Bill Brosius? Powers Boothe <--great actor period

Joanna Going for sure.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Kurt and Val kick ass!

and Sam Elliott and Bill Paxton were the .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    the better film....wyatt earp. for entertainment and action....tombstone.

Which was the better script? see above
    Who was the better Wyatt? Kurt Russell
    Who was the better Virgil Earp? Sam Elliott
    Who was the better Ike Clanton? Stephen Lang
    Who was the better Doc Holliday? Dennis Quaid <-his portrayal of the man was probably more accurate
    Who was the better Sheriff Behan? Jon Tenney
    Who was the better Curly Bill Brosius? Powers Boothe <--great actor period

Joanna Going for sure.
    Entertianment and action is why I like Tombstone and the actors are better, IMO.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I never, for the life of me, thought someone would say Dennis Quaid's "Doc Holliday" was better than Val Kilmer. You are the 1 in 1000 man.

Why do you conclude Wyatt Earp the better film and then say Tombstone was better for entertainment and action? Do we not watch the movies for entertainment?

I should preface this with saying I had a difficult time watching Wyatt Earp because
    1. I don't like Kevin Costner
    2. I like Kurt Russell
    3. After Val Kilmer's Holliday I literally felt sorry for Dennis Quaid because I didn't think there was any way he could follow it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah, I bet when you ask guys who they think of when you say Doc Holliday the majority would say Val Kilmer.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Tombstone.

Wyatt Earp wasn't a bad flick, although a little slow in parts, and was more realistic, but freaking George P. Cosmatos, of all people, finally made a good flick.

-Russell > Costner
    -How many lines does anyone ever quote from Wyatt Earp??? (Granted, Tombstone just skirts being corny, and all the good lines from Tombstone are Holliday's.)
    -Elliott >>>> Madsen
    -Fahey ~ Lang
    -Kilmer >>>>> Quaid (and Quaid did a damn good job)
    -Boothe >>> Smith
    -Delaney >>>>>>>>> Going

If you had only looked at the cast list and director before you saw either movie, no way would anyone have picked Tombstone. The planets just lined up right on that one.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you had only looked at the cast list and director before you saw either movie, no way would anyone have picked Tombstone. The planets just lined up right on that one.
    I would. Tombstone had better actors for the roles. Hands down.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    "Im your Huckleberry"

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Tombstone. Val Kilmer stole that ing movie, too.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    the horse "chase" scene with russel and delaney demands fast forwarding.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I never, for the life of me, thought someone would say Dennis Quaid's "Doc Holliday" was better than Val Kilmer. You are the 1 in 1000 man.

Why do you conclude Wyatt Earp the better film and then say Tombstone was better for entertainment and action? Do we not watch the movies for entertainment?

I should preface this with saying I had a difficult time watching Wyatt Earp because
    1. I don't like Kevin Costner
    2. I like Kurt Russell
    3. After Val Kilmer's Holliday I literally felt sorry for Dennis Quaid because I didn't think there was any way he could follow it.
    It's just my opinion that Wyatt Earp was the more realistic of the two, while Tombstone was "Hollywood-ized". I think that Kilmer brought this sort of "bad ass", deathwish type quality to the character with his demeanor and lines. I think that's why most people like him in the role. I'm not saying I didn't like it, BUT Quaid's portrayal was more accurate of the man at the time, IMO. I think that Wyatt Earp was the better film because you got more of an idea of how and why Wyatt became the man he was in Tombstone (AZ) and I think you get more of an idea about what it was like in those days. You can be entertained with plenty of action in some Steven Segal movies, but they're not good films. You can't win when you make a movie that was essentially already made because it looks copycat-ish, even though they're both following the same story historically.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    "your a daisy if you do"

tombstone

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Tombstone wasn't a great film, but it was entertaining, had great dialogue, and had some damn good star power throughout the film.

Earp may have been more accurate, but it was slow, therefore boring, didn't have near the entertainment value of Tombstone, nor anything truly memorable to take away from the viewing.

It didn have the better movie poster, however.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "Oh Johnny...I forget you were there. You can go now."

-Doc Holliday

Brown Eyed Girl Faccia di Angelo's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "You tell 'em I'M coming... and 's coming with me, you hear?...
    's coming with me!"

Tombstone!
    blizz, go away.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "Im your Huckleberry"
    But the original script says: "I'm here Huckleberry" after Ringo says "I didn't think you had it in ya..."
    Last edited by MrChug; 10-20-2007 at 09:13 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I voted Tombstone, but I could see where Blizz is coming from, and almost makes me want to see Wyatt Earp to see how the true Doc Holliday was.

Val Kilmer was still the best

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    I thought Wyatt Earp was the better movie. But I like Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday much better than Dennis Quaid.

The problem I have with Tombstone is the chase scenes on horses at the end. It's like they ran out of money and couldn't finish the movie with a better ending.

Home of the Brave curtismedellin's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "...your spanish is worse than your english"
    Doc Holiday, are you retired too?"

so many damn good quotes from that movie, Tombstone rocks.

Name
    Seth Hill
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Carolina Tar Heels
    Tombstone by far
    Michael Biehn is the man

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's just my opinion that Wyatt Earp was the more realistic of the two, while Tombstone was "Hollywood-ized". I think that Kilmer brought this sort of "bad ass", deathwish type quality to the character with his demeanor and lines. I think that's why most people like him in the role. I'm not saying I didn't like it, BUT Quaid's portrayal was more accurate of the man at the time, IMO. I think that Wyatt Earp was the better film because you got more of an idea of how and why Wyatt became the man he was in Tombstone (AZ) and I think you get more of an idea about what it was like in those days. You can be entertained with plenty of action in some Steven Segal movies, but they're not good films. You can't win when you make a movie that was essentially already made because it looks copycat-ish, even though they're both following the same story historically.
    I get your point.
    Personally, if I want a history lesson I'll watch the History channel or read about it.
    I watch movies for entertainment only and I found Tombstone the more entertaining of the two. That's how I judge if one movie is better than another.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I get your point.
    Personally, if I want a history lesson I'll watch the History channel or read about it.
    I watch movies for entertainment only and I found Tombstone the more entertaining of the two. That's how I judge if one movie is better than another.
    .....and I get yours. I'm sure one was meant to be more of an action film and one was meant to tell a story....so to compare the two isn't really fair. For what it's worth, if I had to watch one of the two right now, that's easy, I'd watch Tombstone.

Thread Information