Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the 10-team playoff format from the perspective of discouraging tanking. There should be very few teams that have 10-15 games left in the season and have no way of getting to 10th.

And even if a couple truly decide to tank, the teams in 11th-13th have an incentive to push for a play-in berth and a possible two-game hot streak rather than shut it down early.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would really like the FO to workout a sign and trade for Collins.

I think Collins is looking for around $27M to $30M per year. That matches well with a straight DDR for Collins swap. Think Atlanta might do that seeing as how it sounds like they don’t want to pay him that much and the signed Gallo to a big contract.
    Possible sign and trade scenario, where Spurs could then go with another max contract on the open market to build the team around. It could happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s a play-in tournament, chief. You better set some parameters.
    Yup. I know. Spurs won’t finish in the top 8 or participate in the normal playoffs. Whether that’s the top 8 prior to the play in round or top 8 after the play in round doesn’t matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll take that bet my guy��
    Cool. Sounds good. “The spurs won’t finish in the top 8 in the west or participate in the normal playoffs (1-8 seed tourney)”. That’s the bet.

Play in round does not equal normal playoffs. Obviously I’m making this bet based on the current roster but if the spurs were to miraculously trade DDR and/or LMA and make this team better I’m cool with continuing the bet. I would gladly pay $100 for the FO to actually make some good moves.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really make up some wacky narratives in your head, man. I'm almost interested to hear what you think on common issues of the world, since your basketball takes always leave me scratching my head.

Shady Ujiri? What has he done? Lmao. None of what you said contradicts my points at all. Yes, he tried to make some moves - what GM doesn't (don't say the Spurs'...)? All you're saying is, he knew the Raptors as constructed weren't good enough to win it all, but instead of blowing up since they were in ""Purgatory"", they kept retooling and trying to make the team better, until a really good chance came their way, and they took it. The same way you say the Raptors would "never have had the audacity to even offer", you could say they would have never been in a position to make that trade, if the view of "purgatory" as being discussed by my guy Gambit was actually held around the league, and not just his head.

At this point, I can see clearly that you consistently underrate the job and movements of a good FO - it's been a common theme. No team "falls ass-backwards into winning at a high enough rate", however much you want that to be true and speak it like gospel. The Spurs FO didn't, the Raptors FO didn't, and I can't really think of a team that truly did it, tbh. I gotta wonder what your narrative excuse is for GOAT potential players not just "winning it all every year", if it takes so little input from a FO to let great players like Timmy or LeBron to just do their thing... But I'm feeling like we won't agree here, tbh.

At any rate, I sure ain't saying the Raptors are a blueprint. Did they luck out from the Spurs' and Nephew's situation? For sure. But the overarching point - which I'm sure you'll gloss over - is that had they done what Gambit suggests, and blown the team up at the first sign that they weren't going to win a ring with the team as currently constructed, they would have 0 championships today. Many times, keeping the grind up and trying to maximize your chances of winning ends up paying off... Just like it did for the Spurs in '14, after years of fake fans wanting to blow it up. But I'm sure that was just 100% on the players, and not a good job by the FO at all, right?
    If that's what you want to call the truth, fine.

Ujiri has been begging for attention since he returned, cozied up with media big wigs to get it, traded their best player to the Knicks, lied to their most beloved player about an agreed to trade with the Spurs, then strung along a well liked coach and made him sit through a difficult post mortem only to fire him a day later.

They didn't keep retooling to try to make the team better, they flat out tried to re-build multiple times but stop me if you've heard this before: Nobody wanted DeRozan (they even offered him for Wiggins), at least for a price he could sell to the teams/ownership/fans. They literally took off when they traded Gay for four spare parts in a salary dump.

No, most times it doesn't pay off. Look at the Grizzlies, Pacers, Hawks, Trail Blazers, Wizards all in the past decade. The only difference between them and the Raptors is a few unprecedented breaks.

I never said front office's don't matter, I said the position mostly comes down to luck. All the supposed intelligent things the Spurs did don't matter if they're not gifted the core they were.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that's what you want to call the truth, fine.

Ujiri has been begging for attention since he returned, cozied up with media big wigs to get it, traded their best player to the Knicks, lied to their most beloved player about an agreed to trade with the Spurs, then strung along a well liked coach and made him sit through a difficult post mortem only to fire him a day later.

They didn't keep retooling to try to make the team better, they flat out tried to re-build multiple times but stop me if you've heard this before: Nobody wanted DeRozan (they even offered him for Wiggins), at least for a price he could sell to the teams/ownership/fans. They literally took off when they traded Gay for four spare parts in a salary dump.

No, most times it doesn't pay off. Look at the Grizzlies, Pacers, Hawks, Trail Blazers, Wizards all in the past decade. The only difference between them and the Raptors is a few unprecedented breaks.

I never said front office's don't matter, I said the position mostly comes down to luck. All the supposed intelligent things the Spurs did don't matter if they're not gifted the core they were.
    Lol, is your arrogance such that you can't acknowledge any view besides your own as "truth"? Wack. Here's another bit of truth: the Raptors won a single playoff series for their first 20 years of existence, then proceeded to win 9 series, including a championship, in the 5 years since that. You wanna know what changed? Masai did. It's hilarious to me that you're -talking the guy to such lengths, when absolutely no one outside of this forum (and absolutely no people who follow the Raptors closer than you do) would agree with any part of your perspective. You really are too far down your own rhethoric and plain disdain of good executives and FOs to see it.

But well, do tell me where they tried to "re-build multiple times" without trading their top 2-3 players, never taking on bad salaries for picks, never actively tanking. Did nobody want DeRozan, or were the offers not good enough for Masai to tear down a playoff team over? Again, not every team's goal for a given season is to win a championship, especially for a team as devoid of success and winning as the Raptors were at the time. You really think they wanted to get back to selecting the Bargnanis of the league and hoping for the best? Bull . The Gay trade was great for them lol, Gay is trash... Another of Masai's good moves, not sure why you paint it as a negative.

All the teams you mentioned have tried to tank, and rebuild, multiple times in many instances. , the Wizards are about to blow it up again if they can get a good return on Beal and get out of Wall's contract somehow. None of those teams, when given a successful-yet-not-championship-calibre core like the Raptors had, would actively blow it up only to tank again. Simple as that. Is it the best strategy for ring-hungry fans? Maybe not. But it sure is the best for the team's bottomline, and to many teams, that's all that matters. Process-Sixers tanking ain't getting butts in seats, tbh.

But your last sentence distillates your skewed worldview clearly: attribute things that aren't luck, to luck, to dismiss the work of good FOs. You never answered any of my points in the other post we were discussing this, now that I think about it... You think it was "luck" that the Spurs got Tony, Manu, Timmy (definitely lucky to smart-tank those years, huh?), managed to keep all three together for their entire careers, and build not one, but multiple championship caliber teams around that core, who alone would have gotten nowhere (like so many talented teams and duos/trios do all the time)? Do tell. Also, related question, do you gamble? If luck is such a huge component to you, might as well make a buck off it

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll take that bet my guy��
    Make sure he agrees to stand by the bet if there happens to be a trade before the season starts or a mid season trade.

Edit. I see his comment. I think this is an interesting bet.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ thats just red jordan hoodie...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, is your arrogance such that you can't acknowledge any view besides your own as "truth"? Wack. Here's another bit of truth: the Raptors won a single playoff series for their first 20 years of existence, then proceeded to win 9 series, including a championship, in the 5 years since that. You wanna know what changed? Masai did. It's hilarious to me that you're -talking the guy to such lengths, when absolutely no one outside of this forum (and absolutely no people who follow the Raptors closer than you do) would agree with any part of your perspective. You really are too far down your own rhethoric and plain disdain of good executives and FOs to see it.

But well, do tell me where they tried to "re-build multiple times" without trading their top 2-3 players, never taking on bad salaries for picks, never actively tanking. Did nobody want DeRozan, or were the offers not good enough for Masai to tear down a playoff team over? Again, not every team's goal for a given season is to win a championship, especially for a team as devoid of success and winning as the Raptors were at the time. You really think they wanted to get back to selecting the Bargnanis of the league and hoping for the best? Bull . The Gay trade was great for them lol, Gay is trash... Another of Masai's good moves, not sure why you paint it as a negative.

All the teams you mentioned have tried to tank, and rebuild, multiple times in many instances. , the Wizards are about to blow it up again if they can get a good return on Beal and get out of Wall's contract somehow. None of those teams, when given a successful-yet-not-championship-calibre core like the Raptors had, would actively blow it up only to tank again. Simple as that. Is it the best strategy for ring-hungry fans? Maybe not. But it sure is the best for the team's bottomline, and to many teams, that's all that matters. Process-Sixers tanking ain't getting butts in seats, tbh.

But your last sentence distillates your skewed worldview clearly: attribute things that aren't luck, to luck, to dismiss the work of good FOs. You never answered any of my points in the other post we were discussing this, now that I think about it... You think it was "luck" that the Spurs got Tony, Manu, Timmy (definitely lucky to smart-tank those years, huh?), managed to keep all three together for their entire careers, and build not one, but multiple championship caliber teams around that core, who alone would have gotten nowhere (like so many talented teams and duos/trios do all the time)? Do tell. Also, related question, do you gamble? If luck is such a huge component to you, might as well make a buck off it
    At the emotional, myopic fanboy becoming unhinged because I told him the truth about the Raptors. As if you'd know who thinks what.

The Raptors primarily won because of Lowry (top 15 regular season player the past 6 years) and depth, which was initially spare parts from a salary dump. Neither had anything to do with Ujiri, who by the way was an assistant under Colangelo. Even Ujiri admitted he "didn't see it" with Lowry initially.

Like I said, the Knicks and them agreed to a Lowry trade, only for Dolan to block it because he didn't like the blowback of the Anthony/Bargnani trades with Ujiri. DeRozan, they couldn't find a taker for unless they practically wanted to give him away like they did Gay (didn't paint it as bad, said it was a salary dump and the ensuing success was unintentional). They consistently signed veterans to bad contracts, only to be repeatedly bailed out by others (though they did have to attach a 1st and 2nd to get off of the Carroll albatross).

What are you talking about? I'm not debating the merits of tanking, I'm simply saying that's been Ujiri's intent since he abandoned the Nuggets. It's been said myriad times by the media over the years.

Duncan was due to a career altering Robinson injury and an instant superstar, Parker was due to the Celtics, set to take him, passing at the last second for Forte and Ginobili was a late 2nd, that Buford himself admitted they didn't know much about and who came over after developing overseas. They stayed together because they liked playing together and saw the success they could have. Everything the front office did during their era wouldn't have mattered if not for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the emotional, myopic fanboy becoming unhinged because I told him the truth about the Raptors. As if you'd know who thinks what.

The Raptors primarily won because of Lowry (top 15 regular season player the past 6 years) and depth, which was initially spare parts from a salary dump. Neither had anything to do with Ujiri, who by the way was an assistant under Colangelo. Even Ujiri admitted he "didn't see it" with Lowry initially.

Like I said, the Knicks and them agreed to a Lowry trade, only for Dolan to block it because he didn't like the blowback of the Anthony/Bargnani trades with Ujiri. DeRozan, they couldn't find a taker for unless they practically wanted to give him away like they did Gay (didn't paint it as bad, said it was a salary dump and the ensuing success was unintentional). They consistently signed veterans to bad contracts, only to be repeatedly bailed out by others (though they did have to attach a 1st and 2nd to get off of the Carroll albatross).

What are you talking about? I'm not debating the merits of tanking, I'm simply saying that's been Ujiri's intent since he abandoned the Nuggets. It's been said myriad times by the media over the years.

Duncan was due to a career altering Robinson injury and an instant superstar, Parker was due to the Celtics, set to take him, passing at the last second for Forte and Ginobili was a late 2nd, that Buford himself admitted they didn't know much about and who came over after developing overseas. They stayed together because they liked playing together and saw the success they could have. Everything the front office did during their era wouldn't have mattered if not for them.
    I'm just appreciative the San Antonio Spurs were able to gain that collection of players and were able to do what they did.
    I will never forget.
    My mother died right before the playoffs in '14. She was a huge fan.
    Them winning it that year was...
    it was something else. It was something I will never forget.
    I cried. I cried tears of joy and tears of sorrow at the same time.

San Antonio may never taste a le ever again, but I have those memories and only dementia, or death will take them away from me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Westbrook to Washington for John Wall per Woj

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Westbrook to Washington for John Wall per Woj

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston might miss the playoffs if Wall and cousins doesn't stay healthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good lord Patty had been here 10 seasons. His Jersey getting retired

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Either Patty going full Microwave 6th man role or is he starting?

If you think of a line up out of the gate with:

DJ, Patty, Demar, Lyles and Poeltl - Starting
    Tre J, Vassell, Lonnie, Gay and LA - Bench

It actually doesn't seem that far fetched.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wall and Cousins were together at Kentucky, weren't they?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In initial round of tests prior to teams getting together, 48 of 546 players tested positive for Covid... that sucks.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-entry-testing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wall and Cousins were together at Kentucky, weren't they?
    Yes they did

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston might miss the playoffs if Wall and cousins doesn't stay healthy.
    They might be worse than us

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Either Patty going full Microwave 6th man role or is he starting?

If you think of a line up out of the gate with:

DJ, Patty, Demar, Lyles and Poeltl - Starting
    Tre J, Vassell, Lonnie, Gay and LA - Bench

It actually doesn't seem that far fetched.
    yeah I don't know how to process that quote. My dude is going to chuck like 20 3s a game?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    221 NFL players have tested positive NONE DEAD. They shut the world down for this. Out of approximately 2800 players. Same 9% rate.

Hey everybody, the SKY IS FALLING.
    As usual you’re an absolute moron. Trivializing a pandemic because the worlds peak athletes didn’t die is as weak of an argument as it gets. You ing people and the need to live your life by cult like political allegiances.

All this because you’re too ing stupid to understand that lives and families are affected by all kinds of variables besides death. You know. The rest of society that isn’t a freak physical speciman.

My god you’re ing stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    221 NFL players have tested positive NONE DEAD. They shut the world down for this. Out of approximately 2800 players. Same 9% rate.

Hey everybody, the SKY IS FALLING.
    Morons like you don't understand that death isn't the only bad outcome to the virus. We still don't know, but have been seeing loss of other functions, such as memory and brain function, not to mention whether a pass of COVID through the system leaves survivors permanently weakend to further illnesses.

I think I only have ducks on ignore, because he's not just stupid, but a piece of . I'm putting you on ignore now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Morons like you don't understand that death isn't the only bad outcome to the virus. We still don't know, but have been seeing loss of other functions, such as memory and brain function, not to mention whether a pass of COVID through the system leaves survivors permanently weakend to further illnesses.

I think I only have ducks on ignore, because he's not just stupid, but a piece of . I'm putting you on ignore now.
    Him and ducks are nearly one in the same. They’re the human centipedes of the forum.

Thread Information