Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before things get twisted here, I thought Manu, despite the turnovers was solid tonight. That's why I started the thread. Like ElNono said, I'll take those numbers anytime at this stage of his career.

I'd like to see Joseph get some more minutes too. He had a tough game 1 but he's a good defensive player and can harass Paul and stick with Red .
    Cojo and Manu is an awful backcourt pairing IMO... Cojo just not aggressive enough. Maybe playing at home it would be different, but it's hard to tell. I feel he hasn't even earned respect from the refs at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cojo and Manu is an awful backcourt pairing IMO... Cojo just not aggressive enough. Maybe playing at home it would be different, but it's hard to tell. I feel he hasn't even earned respect from the refs at this point.
    I was thinking of CJ taking some of Parker or Manu's minutes. He's a better ball handler than Patty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was thinking of CJ taking some of Parker or Manu's minutes. He's a better ball handler than Patty.
    Pop is going to win or lose with Tony and Manu's 20mpg. We knew that going in, that's what we gonna have to live with.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu is great when the Spurs are behind but he has no notion of protecting the ball or making a safe play and should not be in when the Spurs are in the lead.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu wouldn't have been gassed coming back with 6 or 5 minutes remaing after having 4 or 3 minutes of rest. Patty deserved to close out the game tonight the way he (and specially Parker) was shooting the ball and with Patty out there you need to have Manu in for ball handling measures. Patty and Manu >>>> Tony and Green tonight. I have no doubt in my mind we would have closed the game a lot more comfortably with the Patty-Manu duo. We would have actually closed it, tbh. Instead of depending on a historic last possesion mistake to pull it off.
    I don't have confidence inManu in late game situations anymore. The more dire the situation is, the more he tries to force things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu is great when the Spurs are behind but he has no notion of protecting the ball or making a safe play and should not be in when the Spurs are in the lead.
    Not really true. See Game 3 for reference. He still had his 2 TOs or whatever it was, but he ran the offense masterfully and we turned a solid lead into a blowout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think what Pop did today is probably what he'll have to do. One TO, okay... back to back TOs, get the hook...

He was still out there to rebound Danny's FT miss, so you know, Pop is still going to play him in those tight situations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think folks fully understand how lucky we got with that stupid play by Jordan. That was the game and probably the series.
    It's not lucky if that player is prone to those kind of mistakes. Back in the mid 2000s Spurs v. Suns series, STAT would post 34 & 14 on the Spurs before turning the ball over, or having an offensive interference call against him, or leave the bench during an altercation. That guy's idiocy was a reliable advantage for the Spurs. Same here. Spurs want smart players for a reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Props to Diaw for those big buckets in the final minutes. He should start Game 6 over Splitter, tbh.
    Seems to come up big in big games, like the Game 4 @ Mavs game winning 3 and the monster 25 pt game OKC in game 6.

Acorner 3, the turnaround jumper over Griffin and the ridiculous turnaround jumper to beat the buzzer.

8 points, 3 rebounds, and a late steal in 10 forth quarter minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect Manu to have a vintage game, coming off an 18 min night and a close out game in front of the home crowd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu's sloppy, careless turnovers - in crunch time/critical situations, no less. Why?
    Surely as a pro he must recognize this as a weakness in his own game, and take corrective steps.
    But he can't or won't, and that's why at this stage in his career, he cannot be trusted in critical situations. Kudo to Pops for recognizing that.
    In this game at least.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's true that Manu looks old at times, and those two turnovers in a row were a dark spot in an otherwise extremely solid night for him. But I also think Pop would take nights like this from Manu every game if he could. I mean, that was what, a 5 point swing? We left 11pts on missed freethrows out there tonight (on a night where Gino mysteriously went 6-6 from the charity stripe).

Now Gino is at the tail end of his career. I hope neither Tony or Tiago are. Then we're definitely in deep .
    Two of those turnovers were clearly fouls that caused Manu to cough the ball up (or otherwise fail to complete his intended pass).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Props to Manu for scoring 14 pts and handing out 6 assists in 18 minutes of play. Props also to Pop for benching Manu in crunch time and saving him from himself. Manu also had 4 turnovers. I'll take that. Not sure why Patty wasn't in the game late though. Clippers had to foul and Patty was on the bench. That was a head scratcher.
    Pop sitting Mills is killing me!!! What is Pop Thinking??? Mills drains 3's consistently!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't have confidence inManu in late game situations anymore. The more dire the situation is, the more he tries to force things.
    You didn't trust him last season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not lucky if that player is prone to those kind of mistakes. Back in the mid 2000s Spurs v. Suns series, STAT would post 34 & 14 on the Spurs before turning the ball over, or having an offensive interference call against him, or leave the bench during an altercation. That guy's idiocy was a reliable advantage for the Spurs. Same here. Spurs want smart players for a reason.
    It's lucky 'cause if Jordan would have just stayed still we probably lose that game and the series. I would rather not have to depend on such incredible mistakes to win games and last night if we would have played the guys that were playing better we shouldn't have needed of DeMonkey.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure whether to be pissed at some of Pop's decisions or marvel at what a great coach he is. He didn't give a about taking heat for hack-a-Jordan. He managed to get 2 W's on the road against a very good team. Tony, Tiago and Manu look as though they are sloshing through end of days and the Spurs manage to win. Unreal. By any means necessary I guess.
    why are you lumping manu with tony and tiago? the older manu has significantly better raw and advanced stats (including a solid 18.3 PER, above league average), makes less than either and has a smaller role than either. sure, he's old and several notches below his peak performance, but nowhere near the liability tony and tiago have been this series.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's lucky 'cause if Jordan would have just stayed still we probably lose that game and the series. I would rather not have to depend on such incredible mistakes to win games and last night if we would have played the guys that were playing better we shouldn't have needed of DeMonkey.
    When a conference is as tough as the WCF is, you are going to have to have luck to win sometimes. The team that makes the least mental mistakes wins. Blake coughing up the ball in game 2. Mental Mistake. Jordan's tip in over the cylinder, Mental Mistake. Spurs missing FTs down the stretch and Pop pulling Duncan on the last two plays that resulted in two Off rebounds and two 3's off those rebounds, Mental Mistakes. Tim missing an easy layup and missing an easy put back, Mental Mistake. You can tell he knew it when he pounded the ground. Something Duncan hardly ever does. Plays like these separate champions from contenders.

Spurs deserved to win both games. They made the fewest mental mistakes and won.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Props to your avatar
    You can say that again.

Thread Information