Page 152 of 171 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156162 ... LastLast
Results 3,776 to 3,800 of 4270
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I sure hope it plays out that way....damn them for getting my hopes up...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he did work out for the Warriors.

Yes that was a scouting from the Warriors in Vegas where he was with his NT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes that was a scouting from the Warriors in Vegas where he was with his NT
    Yeah, you're right. I don't think Giddey has done any private workouts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are some good draft boards out there?

Some links? ( not espn or the other big ones )
    Here are a few Big Boards to check out.
    They may not quantify as good down the road but at least offer a variety from respected names:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool. Thanks. Needed some independent perspectives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here are a few Big Boards to check out.
    They may not quantify as good down the road but at least offer a variety from respected names:

Would be nice if NBA GMs were as low on Kuminga, but I'm guessing not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hedo Turkoglu seems certain Sengun is going to Orlando.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hedo Turkoglu seems certain Sengun is going to Orlando.
    why am i so good at calling these things? Link?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've mentioned this before, but in my opinion, the most straight-forward way to become a contender is to draft a star, sign a star and then trade for a star. The issue is that most people get hung up on the belief that they need to draft a franchise player, then either draft or otherwise acquire the other stars. The part you highlighted was basically saying that you can't sell out to get a franchise player, because you'll be so bereft of talent that that player will want to leave. Rather, it would be better to draft a second banana, sign a third and then trade for a first-banana.

This doesn't mean you pass up on franchise players if one falls to you. In the context of my whole post, what it means is you need to worry about drafting tradeable pieces rather than taking risks on stars all the time, because ultimately you're going to have to be able to acquire one or more stars from outside the organization, and a bunch of busts that had a 10-percent chance of becoming unicorns aren't really good enough for that purpose. In terms of A), B) and C), it doesn't mean you don't take A) guys when they're there. It means you should value C) guys more since they'll be useful to get a star if they don't develop into a star themselves.

To borrow the common baseball analogy, many of the historical high-scoring teams didn't get there by just hitting a ton of homeruns. They got there by being able to get on base and advance through hits, sac-flies and stolen bases. The Rangers from the WS runs are an example of how that looks. Anyways, in the Spurs case, getting solid-C assets and being willing to move them to get B and then A assets is critical to being able to spec into a contender while avoiding tanking. That's why they have to be willing to move guys like Murray and not cling to them because "He's youngish and not horrible, so we have to keep him". DJM, White and hopefully Johnson were really good picks for their position, but then you have to be willing to trade for better picks, out-draft that higher position, develop them, trade them for higher picks and grab those A) players. Otherwise, you end up getting cap-locked into mediocre players that you're hesitant to upgrade over because you've convinced yourself they are core players.

So a possible plan right now: Bank on White being the third banana; sign Collins; make a trade for a guy who fits with them but his hopefully better than them. Another: Trade for Sabonis; sign a guy like Trent with the cap space; hope you kept enough value to make an all-in trade on a star wing. A third: Trade Murray for draft value; sign Collins or another PF if a good one doesn't fall in the draft; develop around that move balanced core while keeping a max slot open for 2022; In 2022, hope you already have one star before signing and trading for the others.

What you don't do: Draft a one-in-a-million guy because he kinda looks like Giannis at 18 or whatever; get rid of any decent vet to give minutes to young players; hang onto decent ones with your cap space; hope you get a high pick to take a shot the next year. That's the kind of path a lot of posters seem to think the Spurs HAVE to take because they aren't a free-agent destination. It's antiquated. You don't have to worry about signing stars if you're going to trade for them, and the thing that attracts free agents the most is playing with other stars. The thing that repels them the most is being a ty team in a small market.
    Chinook, thank you for your basketball wisdom! Love your analysis as always! I figured that you don't like ball hoggers like Murray. You kind of convinced me. Now I'm willing to trade Murray for a top 8 draft pick. Am I asking too much?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see it now.

i think they’ll take him at #5 to avoid the risk of OKC getting him

Mock:

1. Detroit - Cade
    2. Rockets - Green
    3. Cavaliers - Mobley
    4. Raptors - Suggs
    5. Magic - either Kuminga or Barnes
    6. Thunder - What’s left between Kuminga and Barnes
    7. Warriors - Moody
    8. Magic - Sengun
    9. Kings - Wagner
    10. Pelicans - Kispert - they need a shooter badly
    11. Hornets - Jackson - has ties with LaMelo
    12. Spurs

edit: i just realized Hedo said he thinks theyll take Sengun at 8

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see it now.

Mock:

1. Detroit - Cade
    2. Rockets - Green
    3. Cavaliers - Mobley
    4. Raptors - Suggs
    7. Warriors - Moody
    8. Magic - Sengun
    9. Kings - Wagner
    12. Spurs

You have either Kuminga or Barnes falling to us...

Edit- nevermind....I must be blind...lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    question is pop going to give the lottery pick adequate minutes to jump the que roster rotation to develop into a star player or he just bury them on the bench over his sucking buttlicking favorites?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sengun to Orlando does make a lot of sense. They have a ton of guards who, though not that good, probably aren't worse than any guard available at 8.

And they might suppose that Isaac when healthy would be a great match for Sengun defensively. And I'm sure they have already given up on Bamba and aren't married to Carter Jr.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hadn’t really looked up why Halliburton dropped to 12 (Sac) last season when he was ranked about the 5th best player by some experts. I really didn’t pay much attention to the draft stuff before it happened last year so I didn’t have any kind of horse in the race and I was fairly happy with Vassell (still am).

But I got curious and found reports after the draft suggesting he orchestrated his own fall to 12 bc he felt Sacramento was a good fit for him and he would get playing time there. For whoever cares: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article247300064.html

That just reminded me of all the cloak and dagger stuff with Giddey and all the fawning over him from the Warriors. Surprisingly even without workouts, he has risen and now it’s possible he doesn’t even fall to the Spurs so I have started looking at other prospects. I think despite my reservations earlier I d be really excited if he was drafted, but I now have a different kind of reservation.

Even if a player doesn’t have a choice on where they get drafted necessarily, I do believe if a prospect is in love with a different team and not interested in San Antonio, Spurs wouldn’t draft him bc that would just be asking for trouble down the line.

I haven’t seen where Giddey is dissuading anybody, and one would think that is stupid, but after seeing the articles on Halliburton, who knows?

I think this kind of aspect gets overlooked (I know I did), once you are in the lottery all these guys get courted, go to dinner, etc. personality and how enthusiastic the player is about the franchise surely plays some role in this. That’s not to say you would draft someone who underwhelmed, but when you have to make up your mind between a few equally good players, the fit and how much that guy liked the Spurs when he visited surely matters.

Edit: speculation: Sacramento I think courted Franz and have likely sold him on fit as well.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 07-24-2021 at 06:13 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook, thank you for your basketball wisdom! Love your analysis as always! I figured that you don't like ball hoggers like Murray. You kind of convinced me. Now I'm willing to trade Murray for a top 8 draft pick. Am I asking too much?
    Imagine if the Spurs didn’t draft Halliburton bc they had Murray… I don’t want to think about it like that but they can’t get attached to anybody in terms of not drafting the most talented guy bc they don’t need anything at that position…

In that case, I see the rumors of the Murray trade differently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kings, please trade out so you don't take my boy Franz...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see it now.

Mock:

1. Detroit - Cade
    2. Rockets - Green
    3. Cavaliers - Mobley
    4. Raptors - Suggs
    7. Warriors - Moody
    8. Magic - Sengun
    9. Kings - Wagner
    12. Spurs

Along with SA Girl's thoughts, I can see Giddey going to GSW at #7. I think Pels could take Moody over Kispert. Hornets I think take a big, either Jackson or Jones. This leaves the Spurs with some uncertainty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hadn’t really looked up why Halliburton dropped to 12 (Sac) last season when he was ranked about the 5th best player by some experts. I really didn’t pay much attention to the draft stuff before it happened last year so I didn’t have any kind of horse in the race and I was fairly happy with Vassell (still am).

But I got curious and found reports after the draft suggesting he orchestrated his own fall to 12 bc he felt Sacramento was a good fit for him and he would get playing time there. For whoever cares: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article247300064.html

That just reminded me of all the cloak and dagger stuff with Giddey and all the fawning over him from the Warriors. Surprisingly even without workouts, he has risen and now it’s possible he doesn’t even fall to the Spurs so I have started looking at other prospects. I think despite my reservations earlier I d be really excited if he was drafted, but I now have a different kind of reservation.

Even if a player doesn’t have a choice on where they get drafted necessarily, I do believe if a prospect is in love with a different team and not interested in San Antonio, Spurs wouldn’t draft him bc that would just be asking for trouble down the line.

I haven’t seen where Giddey is dissuading anybody, and one would think that is stupid, but after seeing the articles on Halliburton, who knows?

I think this kind of aspect gets overlooked (I know I did), once you are in the lottery all these guys get courted, go to dinner, etc. personality and how enthusiastic the player is about the franchise surely plays some role in this. That’s not to say you would draft someone who underwhelmed, but when you have to make up your mind between a few equally good players, the fit and how much that guy liked the Spurs when he visited surely matters.

Edit: speculation: Sacramento I think courted Franz and have likely sold him on fit as well.
    Exactly the stuff I was saying way earlier in this thread... I want the Spurs to draft someone who will embrace the team and the city. Partly why I see there's a strong chance of them drafting Duarte... the guy is a clear Spurs fan, almost "likes" every thing the Spurs post on their social media in the same manner Kai actively "likes" everything the Warriors post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Starts at 22:42

Shams thinks there's potential to have a historic amount of movement during the draft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kings, please trade out so you don't take my boy Franz...
    What do the kings want in exchange for Franz?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see it now.

Mock:

1. Detroit - Cade
    2. Rockets - Green
    3. Cavaliers - Mobley
    4. Raptors - Suggs
    7. Warriors - Moody
    8. Magic - Sengun
    9. Kings - Wagner
    12. Spurs

Actually Bouknight needs to be up there. I think he might go top 8. Not convinced Magic select Sengun, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Starts at 22:42

Shams thinks there's potential to have a historic amount of movement during the draft

He even said himself, that he says this every year, that there’s going to be the most movement… lol every year.

Theres certainly interest in moving, but the teams interested want ready to play guys so these aren’t easy trades.

It would explain Spurs making White and Murray available though I bet they have their own horse that they would do a trade like that for and they likely don’t get him.

But I think there’s going to be trades in the lower part of the first round maybe? From teams with multiple picks? I haven’t paid attention to any of that.

He mentioned Bouknight right away as a riser, as well as Duarte. I have to look at them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually Bouknight needs to be up there. I think he might go top 8. Not convinced Magic select Sengun, though.
    Sengun I think might fall and he’d be a God send for the Spurs. I think he’s probably not done growing and may have also grown since last measured. Jaren Jackson about his same age when drafted grew an inch and he’s now a legit 7 footer and I think Luka Samanic, also drafted very young grew an inch. I think he’ll be fine when he matures a bit more in a year. One wouldn’t say this of every prospect but the ones who were around 18-19 this past year do stand to grow a little more yet, specially big men.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, OKC linked to Bouknight. And Shams said he could go in the top 6-7.

I wonder if OKC doesn’t pick the consensus causing a mix up in that mock by Dejounte as other teams will snatch whoever “fell”

I like your predictions btw.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 07-24-2021 at 07:27 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, normally you don't have smart teams in the high lottery like this. You don't expect Oklahoma City or Golden State to make mistakes.

Thread Information